Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 969: The Idiot Lord

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Now that i read the chapter better, i realized that Oden gave 5 freaking years to Kaido to increase his influencial power while on the other hand losing support from the populace, with only his retainers remaining by his side. After not accepting help from outsiders(Rayleigh offered his help), this might have been his next stupid decision that ultimately cost him his life :pepeke:
Incredibly stupid.

Oden is becoming a mess of a character with each chapter. From ignoring Wano's (his father, his retainers) demise to go adventuring, denying help from extremely powerful crewmates (this isn't a boxing match here, be realistic you put your country in the best position to flourish), to being a clown for 5 long years only to end up fighting Kaidou anyways giving him time to grow in the process.

Oda better come up with a real good reason for Oden doing what he did. As it stands Oden is a contradictory mess to me rn. The same guy whose ego/pride is great enough to refuse help for his country (incredibly selfish move, without a second thought he managed to handicap his country further), is out there degrading himself to this extent?

I think this chapter can be really appreciated and rated only with the next one.

The last panel with all the scabbards is really beautiful

(I wanted to see more of Moria.... his crew, powers etc)
Agreed I'm holding out on calling this chapter trash, but it's not looking good. Will wait for the reasoning behind it. And no, the cliche "protecting citizens from danger" is not a good enough reason for this complete change in the entire fabric of a character. Especially since he ended up fighting anyway. There are always other ways to get out of situations. Incredibly weak move by Oda if that's all this is.

Also was it just me or did everyone's reactions around Oden bug me? For example, I can't imagine what someone like Ashura Doji thought of the man he admires going naked on the streets begging for cash. It's like they're all content with it, regardless of his reasons, an action is an action, some actions are going too far. How did anyone even allow this to continue for a week much less 5 goddamn years? The least Oda could have done is shown internal conflict between the scabbards and Oden. Doesn't seem realistic at all. Just for that alone this is a very sus chapter.

Last edited:
Still confused as to how many fans don't understand the concept of Oden enduring humiliation for five years, despite being "nearly invincible" according to Oda.
He has always brought that theme up in his manga.
I swear people would get heart attacks these days, if they had to see a mountain bandit scrub "humiliating" Shanks in front of everyone and the latter not doing anything about it.
people are more annoyed that oden did that while most likely knowing orochi is an untrustworthy bastard who wont keep whatever promise they made...

I do generally agree with what you are saying though.
Post automatically merged:

Agreed I'm holding out on calling this chapter trash
:finally:

not many seem to have this patience

Oden is becoming a mess of a character with each chapter. From ignoring Wano's (his father, his retainers) demise to go adventuring, denying help from extremely powerful crewmates (this isn't a boxing match here, be realistic you put your country in the best position to flourish), to being a clown for 5 long years only to end up fighting Kaidou anyways giving him time to grow in the process.
i guess he would have fucked up the "living without regrets" motto from ace and luffy lmao.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Oden didn't humiliate himself... Only people like Shanks, Blackbeard and Luffy would understand :josad::josad::josad:

Not the same thing at all. He seemingly submitted to Orochi. Essentially his pet for 5 years.

Luffy not in a billion years would do something like that. Bellamy (and the bandits for Shanks) were so far below them in mentality, that they didn't even bother getting angry over them. Noise from the ants. It's the equivalent of ignoring someone not worth your time.

Orochi was running his land and his people into the ground (exactly what Shanks said told Higuma not to do), and he was dancing for him. This is a massive false equivalence.

Incredibly stupid.

Oda better come up with a real good reason for Oden doing what he did. As it stands Oden is a contradictory mess to me rn. The same guy whose ego/pride is great enough to refuse help for his country (incredibly selfish move, without a second thought he managed to handicap his country further), is out there degrading himself to this extent?

Agreed I'm holding out on calling this chapter trash, but it's not looking good. Will wait for the reasoning behind it. And no, the cliche "protecting citizens from danger" is not a good enough reason for this complete change in the entire fabric of a character. Especially since he ended up fighting anyway. There are always other ways to get out of situations. Incredibly weak move by Oda if that's all this is.

Also was it just me or did everyone's reactions around Oden bug me? For example, I can't imagine what someone like Ashura Doji thought of the man he admires going naked on the streets begging for cash. It's like they're all content with it, regardless of his reasons, an action is an action, some actions are going too far. How did anyone even allow this to continue for a week much less 5 goddamn years? The least Oda could have done is shown internal conflict between the scabbards and Oden. Doesn't seem realistic at all. Just for that alone this is a very sus chapter.
When Oden refused help he didn't know that Kaido was ruling Wano.

Not the same thing at all. He seemingly submitted to Orochi. Essentially his pet for 5 years.

Luffy not in a billion years would do something like that. Bellamy (and the bandits for Shanks) were so far below them in mentality, that they didn't even bother getting angry over them. Noise from the ants. It's the equivalent of ignoring someone not worth your time.

Orochi was running his land and his people into the ground (exactly what Shanks said told Higuma not to do), and he was dancing for him. This is a massive false equivalence.
It was Oda's intention to make readers feel betrayed and angry.
It's genius. He generates the exact same emotions in the reader that the people of Wano felt.

It's clear when we read the narration that "Oden returned as nearly invincible, everyone put their hope in him and only an hour later he was dancing naked on the street."

Oda knows what the readers feel about that. He wants that reaction.

Now it's up to him to show us an eye-opening resolution why Oden did all that.

I fully trust Oda though. He has got this.

Last edited:
It was Oda's intention to make readers feel betrayed and angry.
It's genius. He generates the exact same emotions in the reader that the people of Wano felt.

It's clear when we read the narration that "Oden returned as nearly invincible, everyone put their hope in him and only an hour later he was dancing naked on the street."

Oda knows what the readers feel about that. He wants that reaction.

Now it's up to him to show us an eye-opening resolution why Oden did all that.

I fully trust Oda though. He has got this.

Agree , but if he dont give us a good reason then this will be a big joke .

W

wordyworm

Wonder what it means.... :zorothink:
It must be Ame no Habakiri that cuts Orochi. The sword shares a name with a famous dragon-cutting sword in Japanese mythology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totsuka-no-Tsurugi
It might be held by Zoro, since Momo is still so young, but I think this is the sword that will bring down Kaido as well as the one that scarred him in the past.
It does seem like Zoro is being set up for a fight with a dragon, though, which would tie in wonderfully with Ryuma as well!

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
It must be Ame no Habakiri that cuts Orochi. The sword shares a name with a famous dragon-cutting sword in Japanese mythology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totsuka-no-Tsurugi
It might be held by Zoro, since Momo is still so young, but I think this is the sword that will bring down Kaido as well as the one that scarred him in the past.
It does seem like Zoro is being set up for a fight with a dragon, though, which would tie in wonderfully with Ryuma as well!
Ame no habikiri is momos sword.
Oda had the chance to give it zoro he gave him enma instead.
Momo will likely land the final blow with that sword on orochi. He has been training.

W

wordyworm

Ame no habikiri is momos sword.
Oda had the chance to give it zoro he gave him enma instead.
Momo will likely land the final blow with that sword on orochi. He has been training.
Aw shit, that would be sweet! Momo levels up!

For me, the biggest mystery of the chapter is that after 5 years of making a fool of himself, Oden asked Orochi such a strange question! "The ships....? Kaido?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Wonder what it means.... :zorothink:
the dragon that Zoro will beat is King

King has a model of the dragon dragon no mi and can fly and use fire. He's enough of a dragon for Zoro to fight

Incredibly stupid.

You have a point tbh. Even if Kaido threatened Oden, I'd be really upset to learn that Oden actually believed anything Orochi said and didn't even have some sort of a plan to take out kaido. There was no reason for him to do nothing for 5 years while Kaido got stronger and stronger.

I really don't know why he didn't try to form an alliance with Gecko Moria. Okay, maybe for whatever reason he couldn't contact the numerous powerful pirates he was friends with. But he could have beat Kaido if he allied with Moria.

He could have used the Kage Kage no mi to give himself and the scabbards nightmare forms which could have allowed him to beat the beast pirates. I mean if normal Oden was already able to give Kaido that nasty scar, nightmare Oden with the shadows of all the samurai of wano could have fucking decapitated Kaido.

Last edited:
until we know the reason why Oden acted like an idiots its hard to judge this chapters quality.
it triggered many people so at least it was able to get a reaction out of the audience.

wait for it. we will get a reveal on why Oden did what he did and it will turn out that he "saved" Wano.
after all, we know that the citizens wait for the Kozuki clans return. there must be some redeeming factor here.

what I expect:
Kaido flew over the castle. could be symbolic for a threat looming above. Kaidos residence is on Onigashima. he can see enemies coming from miles. Kaido can travel from 1 place in Wano to another quick.
unless Oden can fly too there is no way to attack him without warning or at all.
Kaido can easily fly arround burning Wanos people while Oden can only watch.
easy to use that for blackmailling Oden.

until we know the reason why Oden acted like an idiots its hard to judge this chapters quality.
it triggered many people so at least it was able to get a reaction out of the audience.

wait for it. we will get a reveal on why Oden did what he did and it will turn out that he "saved" Wano.
after all, we know that the citizens wait for the Kozuki clans return. there must be some redeeming factor here.

what I expect:
Kaido flew over the castle. could be symbolic for a threat looming above. Kaidos residence is on Onigashima. he can see enemies coming from miles. Kaido can travel from 1 place in Wano to another quick.
unless Oden can fly too there is no way to attack him without warning or at all.
Kaido can easily fly arround burning Wanos people while Oden can only watch.
easy to use that for blackmailling Oden.
War with kaido would always have casualties. It was seen during the ill fated raid on onigashima 10 yrs ago by ashura doji's men. It has to be some much more personal reason.

War with kaido would always have casualties. It was seen during the ill fated raid on onigashima 10 yrs ago by ashura doji's men. It has to be some much more personal reason.
no it does not. by that time Oden could very well still believe that the conflict could be solved non-violently.

W

wordyworm

Oden dancing and singing is just like how YASU was dancing and singing in present. and seeing yasu mocking oden in this chapter, guess where yasu got his singing and dancing from.
Yasuie is such a good friend! He copied Oden's dance as well as copying the goofy smiles and laughs of the people of Ebisu town! He went out of his way to make their odd behavior more normal and sympathize with them.
:josad::josad::josad:

Status
Not open for further replies.