Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 971: Sentenced to Boil

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This chapter was an eye opener, I used to think Orochi was a figurehead like spandam depending on Kaido for everything, but now I think he is one of the best villains in OP.

He was persecuted and despised his entire life for being a Kurozumi, similar to how Doflamingo was persecuted for being a Celestial dragon. Him only wanting to make Wano suffer makes him a better villian than Kaido, since being stronger than him is not enough.

The past few chapters haven't been that great, but this chapter makes me look forward to Act 3, since it wont just be a war to see who is the stronger, but a war to save Wano.

As for Kaido, with each chapter its becoming clear that his role in Wano is to be Orochi's fighter, whether you like it or not, Kaido is not the main villain of the Wani arc.

As for Oden, he may be an idiot for trusting Orochi and Kaido, but you have to respect his conviction to protect Wani and its people.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Man Kaido seemed rly chill back then(a maniac but still very chill) wonder what happened during these 20 years with all that suicide stuff it rly looks like he enjoy watching someone die ,today....idk...he seem different
Maybe he regrets what he did to Oden, maybe he just got tricked by Orochi too and is kinda caged in his settlement

Pretty good chapter. Oden is insane and I did not expect such a big moment from Shinobu.

Orochi's backstory takes a lovely dark twist. Orochi and his clan were persecuted and wiped for the crimes of his grandfather. A similar character like Doflamingo was strung up somewhere in the North Blue, mostly of his doing as he revealed his celestial ancestry trying to boss around commoners. Orochi has no interest in acting to the benefit of Wano. This isn't Wano being mismanaged due to incompetence or some flawed vision of what's best for the country. He deeply despises this place. Orochi deliberately turned Wano into a hellscape to let everyone suffer and exact his revenge. Among villains, only the Celestial Dragons surpass Orochi's sheer evil now.

Personally, I can accept how Oden was reduced to a fool. From "Oden should have tried going around the barrier" to Orochi unveiling a room full of hostages and Kaido joining in to stop Oden himself. He was boxed in and forced to talk about a deal from the start. They could have simply imprisoned Oden otherwise. For 5 years, Oden humiliated himself to save lives. He went around each town to make sure Orochi kept his end of the bargain and things were not getting worse. That explains why none of the other Daimyo even after losing hope in Oden didn't declare war during these 5 years but tried violence before and after this period. It's possible Oden also saw ships being built, but that doesn't mean Kaido would use those ships to leave Wano. Oden accepted a bad clause to the deal there. But if Wano is safe for 5 years and Kaido hasn't left, he'll just kick his ass out right? That's where Oden missed the long game, Luffy IQ doesn't plan years into the future. Kaido was building up his forces and a spy was planted in Oden's camp. Kaido was buying time to guarantee victory while Oden lost all respect and thus the backing of Wano's military forces. Military strategy flew over his head as he kept dancing and checking all the villages were safe. A fool with a big heart, who tried to take all Wano's problems onto himself and suffered in silence.

I crave new methods of torture and suffering in this series just as anyone else, and a big burning pot a oil leaves me just as amused as Kaido. It's so funny how a rando mocking Oden just slips in there and dies. We were told about a baptism in Impel Down where prisoners were dunked in a boiling pot, how long they lasted determined their level with those who withstood it all in Level 6. This experience is meant to be instantaneous death, there's no prison time after this. It is clearly way beyond a little boiling water Oden experienced on a chain behind Whitebeard's ship. Yet once again Oden tries to take all the suffering onto himself as he decides to hold his subordinates above his head. A lord giving up his life for his vassals, but it's only been 5 minutes so far.

Just where is the traitor amidst all of this? Don't tell me that bastard is willing to get sliced, beaten and boiled in oil just to get back at Oden? That honestly deserves some respect. The Korozumi granmda would have transformed back and pleaded for her life by now. I've given up on Shinobu due to how much she's grown on me in this flashback, but at least she could have been released early from prison to survive the death sentence. I'm beginning to think all this traitor talk is just a way to try and sow discord among the alliance. Kaido and Orochi could have an invisible spy at their disposal, but pinning it on an insider is a great way to cause doubts and infighting among Oden's extremely loyal samurai. Some people will certainly be disappointed by such a development, but it should work if Oda highlights what the Scabbards have done and how they should have never been doubted.

Oden says he has to live, but I'm not sure if he survives the hour mark here. The Scabbards become persecuted after this, which means Kaido went back on his word or Oden didn't complete the challenge and they hauled ass. It's possible the boiling didn't do Oden in and that's merely the final impression the Scabbards got as they fled the scene. However, Oden's will has been passed on with Ame no Habakiri to Momo and Enma to Zoro. Oden is destined to die. I only wonder if he's getting a Roger or Whitebeard death moment next chapter.

To all the Oden haters;

Even though the reason he danced naked sounded so stupid in the spoilers, it felt completely justified when Shinobu explained it. I mean Orochi and Kaido should have no interest in the country itself. They just wanted to extract everything they needed and be gone for good. It’s unfortunate that Oden believed in that or more like he had to believe in that for the sake of Wano and it’s people. He cared for others too damn much to give a damn about any other evil plots. (Side effects of WB and Roger friendship) :cheers:

G

Gran D. Master

So there was no deeper meaning behind Oden dancing for 5 fucking years. It was literally just "do what I say and I'll stop being bad I promise". Oden is a fucking inexcusable idiot and this entire 5 year plot might be the worst and most pointless bullshit Oda has ever written. And no, Oden having one "badass" panel doesn't make this a 10/10 GODA chapter. This is trash

I think the translation now is direct japanese -> english, I feel the nuance enough

that said wano's citizen legit hunt down orochi because he is a kurozumi,fuck them!
also the dance is oden's appology for orochi
oda in 1 chapter makes me root for orochi.... how the fuck

that said the chapter is pretty based. classic oda...
absolute madman the guy really play us like a damn fiddle with the whole 969-971

So there was no deeper meaning behind Oden dancing for 5 fucking years. It was literally just "do what I say and I'll stop being bad I promise". Oden is a fucking inexcusable idiot and this entire 5 year plot might be the worst and most pointless bullshit Oda has ever written. And no, Oden having one "badass" panel doesn't make this a 10/10 GODA chapter. This is trash
:pepelit:
Post automatically merged:

Oda wasted another full chapter giving us useless panels. This and the previous chapter could have been easily edited into 1 chapter.

Why don’t people understand this simple fact. Oden was left with 2 choices:
1. Get all the people of Wano to fight alongside him against Kaido Orochi Alliance who legit didn’t care about the country and the people. Even if he chose to fight them, they would have won the battle but lost the war. Collateral damage would have been too high.
2. Agree to their terms and hope to get them leave his country where no one would be harmed. Also he saw how Kurozumi family were disrespected and wanted to make it up for his ancestors as well as Wano itself.
I think the choice is simple here for the man like Oden.
:kata:

A

ardym

well the traitor is for sure neither a retainer nor Shinobu
Shinobu has shown enough that she is not the one and even if the traitor was a retainer then he/she would change his mind then he/she would have been dead if not for Oden he rescued all of them and sacrifices himself so i cannot see any one of them betray him really. so in short i believe that the traitor is someone else but who the hell is he/she

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Pretty good chapter.
Oda seems to be going after another legendary panel that would join WB's death panel and Zoro's nothing happened and the way it is developing he might succeed. Oden is pretty badass to withstand the torture for an entire hour, no doubt that he will succeed.

Interesting to see that he fought Kaido in the flashback when he attacked Orochi and they were pretty much equal it seems.
It was foolish to believe Orochi's and Kaido's words back then but he was in a fail-fail situation however you take it. He tried fighting Orochi, it didnt work out. He tried fighting Kaido, it didnt work out. In the war, he could have been successful if there was no Momo double but the story deems the fail necessary.

All we have to see is how Oden went out, what changed in the end that caused the entire country to weep after him.
Orochi is bad guy however you slice it but there is more to it than just being evil, he is getting revenge for what happened to him because of his grandfather's actions. I am interested if there are other surviving members of the Kurozumi family. :unsure:

To all the Oden haters;

Even though the reason he danced naked sounded so stupid in the spoilers, it felt completely justified when Shinobu explained it. I mean Orochi and Kaido should have no interest in the country itself. They just wanted to extract everything they needed and be gone for good. It’s unfortunate that Oden believed in that or more like he had to believe in that for the sake of Wano and it’s people. He cared for others too damn much to give a damn about any other evil plots. (Side effects of WB and Roger friendship) :cheers:
Lolden:pepelit:

Status
Not open for further replies.