Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 972: I’m Oden and I was Born to Boil

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol you think Kidd will solo BM? That makes no sense story wise. Remember Law ? Where does that fit in ? I see a 3v1 quite possible if the marines come and it goes as a three way fight.

Luffy won't surpass Kaido this ARC lol get this on you heads people, but he will need help. I agree it will end up being one on one, but not after a lot of stuff
Pretty much.

Yes Oda taught us power gaps are easily overcomable for the new gen but the gap separating Kidd and Law is almost unlimited to be even remotely closed this one arc.

Pretty much.

Yes Oda taught us power gaps are easily overcomable for the new gen but the gap separating Kidd and Law is almost unlimited to be even remotely closed this one arc.
I mean, Law w/ better physical stats or better haki would BE close to YC2-1 level already with that OP DF. He was YC4 at Dressrosa, he should have been YC3 when we entered Wano.
I think we just underestimated Doflamingo before and with that, we put Law as a weak character. But id give him the win against a lot of the YC roster, w/ his Dressrosa version. And also, he is a perfect team fighter and doesnt need adcanced CoA to damage Kaido.

Kidd should be at least YC2 but most likely YC1, but Law just with his qualities at the level of YC3 or 2 is enough to help against Kaido a lot

I mean, Law w/ better physical stats or better haki would BE close to YC2-1 level already with that OP DF. He was YC4 at Dressrosa, he should have been YC3 when we entered Wano.
I think we just underestimated Doflamingo before and with that, we put Law as a weak character. But id give him the win against a lot of the YC roster, w/ his Dressrosa version. And also, he is a perfect team fighter and doesnt need adcanced CoA to damage Kaido.

Kidd should be at least YC2 but most likely YC1, but Law just with his qualities at the level of YC3 or 2 is enough to help against Kaido a lot
"YC4" is Snack. Putting Snack on the same level as Law, is quite frankly blasphemy. Law > Urouge > Snack. That's how far apart he was from "YC4".

I think we just underestimated Doflamingo before and with that, we put Law as a weak character.
You're still doing it.

I reread Oden's flashback.

Personally, I found it slow and boring if we take the parts off with Newgate and Roger.
I preferred, more, those of Kyros and Big Mom, which I found more concise and better written.
Kyros is the Gatsu of the One Piece world and is one of the most epic characters in the whole story. The cut on Doflamingo's head was one of the best moments in Dressrosa.
Big Mom turned out to be the second character who disappointed me most in the whole story, however, his flashback thrilled me like few others.

Oden, beyond the tributes, is a halfway between Luffy and Zoro. And I found it a little anonymous.
Born as a special being, but not inhuman as Linlin, who already massacred giants as a child.
Later, we see him tearing apart a giant monster, in circumstances similar to those of Ryuma in Monster, who, however, tore apart a dragon, not a boar.
When it collides with Whitebeard and Roger it reaches, for me, the pinnacle. Generally, the whole pirate part is interesting, even if it is also stretched.
Oden is lucky twice, given that, both times he returns, he finds Kuri still standing. But things could have been different: on his return, he could have found a wasteland with no more human beings, in case Kaido had activated himself.
Our pirate samurai took a big risk to abandon his land. If he hadn't left, he would have become Shogun, which he didn't want right now.

As I write this article, other considerations come to mind.
Oden could have saved his country, making it Newgate or Roger territory. The latter, as we know, would have stopped the trip a year after meeting Oden, however, Kaido would have been away from Wa for at least another year. With a little luck, perhaps, he would have made a base in another place.

In any case, if Oden had never left, he would probably have become Shogun. However, upon Kaido's arrival on the island, Oden would have been weaker than his pirate version and Wa, paradoxically, could have fallen into the hands of the Lord of the Beasts.
Upon his definitive return, Oden learns of the country's tragic situation and launches himself against the City of Flowers (part that I liked).
However, for a series of subterfuges, Orochi manages to manipulate Oden, and make him fool for five years in a row (part that I did not like).
At this juncture, we finally see the young Moria also clash with Kaido. I think we will see something of this clash in Moria's flashback after arriving in Onigashima.
After five years, Oden and the Nine Sheaths clash with Kaido and his army.
Oden proves to be stronger than Kaido, but is defeated by a dirty trick by Kaido.
The group is condemned to a death penalty: to die boiled in hot oil.
During this killing, Oden manages to make his companions flee and dies. At this juncture, Luffy's arrival in twenty years is indirectly predicted, and this is why Toki sends the samurai into the future, twenty years later, although it would have made more sense to send them to the Wa a year later, when Kaido was still very far from its peak.
In the world of One Piece, you don't exist
I'm Emperors, Admirals, Flotars, Supernovae, etc. But only Luffy exists, and only he can solve the problems.
If Luffy would not have set foot in Dressrosa, no one would have defeated Doflamingo; if Luffy hadn't set foot on Whole Cake Island, nobody would have defeated Katakuri. Consequently, if Luffy hadn't set foot in Wa, nobody would have defeated Kaido. This is how Eiichiro Oda's sick mind works and, for me, this twenty year old is another paraculata like the others.

I am aware of three inconsistencies:
-there are no ships in Wa
This acquittal is incorrect. I remind you that there are ports in the country: there are, in fact, pirate ships.
How did Oden get out of Wa? He was accompanied by Newgate.
So potentially anyone could exit the Kingdom using pirate ships and warn anyone, even the Navy, if they wanted to, in case of danger.
At one point, Oden had also asked the Shogun for ships, which could also mean that someone was able to build ships in Wa.
Furthermore, with the arrival of Kaido and his army, I remind you that the pirates of this one must have necessarily arrived with ships. So even the latter could be taken.
I remind you that even Kinemeno - & - company, after arriving from their time travel, managed to escape Wa using a boat.
-the two crews
During the flashback, we saw an exceptional clash from the two biggest and strongest pirates of the moment: Roger and Newgate.
If their confrontation was consistent, it was not the same for their crews.
Roger's crew was at its peak and made up of experienced men, while Newgate's crew was still in its infancy and was made up mostly of kids. A bit like seeing Shanks' crew fight on par with Kidd's crew.
Do you see us Rayleigh and Gaban fighting on equal terms with Marco and Jozu teenagers? Not me.
Still, the two crews clashed for three days, on an equal footing. Mysteries of faith.
-that nobody touches Kaido
After five years the return of Oden, the latter proves to be stronger than Kaido, even if the latter defeats him irregularly. If Roger was at the Emperor level, Oden, who was his subordinate, certainly could not be at his level. Hence, it should not have been on the same level as Newgate and Garp, who fought on equal terms with Roger.
As it was not supposed to be at the level of Rayleigh, who was the number one of the Pirate King, and perhaps he was also inferior to Scopper Gaban.
At the time, Oden could have been at the level of an admiral, perhaps, but certainly not more.
The point of the discussion is that, all these people capable of leading Oden, could have also brought Kaido, however, for the next few years, nobody will.
All those who had the ability to bring down Kaido had to be: Newgate, Garp, Rayleigh, Gaban, Sengoku, Kong and Big Mom.
Whitebeard, after learning of Oden's death and Kaido's tyranny, should have rushed to Wa in the shortest time possible and made him the deck, which he didn't do.
For plot reasons, both Newgate and the Navy will not have to know anything about Oden's death or as late as possible to allow Kaido to become even stronger.
Without forgetting that, after this flashback, we are aware that the two minks had left the kingdom to return to their homeland. On the way, why shouldn't they have warned Newgate ?!

Wishing to conclude: I found the flashback excessively long and boring, with a somewhat anonymous Oden. And Kaido has come down to me: his alleged invincibility has already gone to be blessed. As a character, Orochi certainly comes out better.

Rating: 6/10

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Oda : brought out ryuma legacy, enma and zoro links with wano and never showed zoro going all out with asura since ts

Some fans: if zoro cut kaido then it's terrible writing

Same fans: if sanji sole king out of the blue or Luffy solo kaido after getting Koed in one shot then would be dancing like oden did

Hypocrisy at its best....:lusalty:

Oda: :holdthisl:

"YC4" is Snack. Putting Snack on the same level as Law, is quite frankly blasphemy. Law > Urouge > Snack. That's how far apart he was from "YC4".

You're still doing it.
YC4, for me, means low high tier which is Inuarashi, Nekomamushi, etc. Means somebody who can give an high diff to YC3lvl characters. Snacks hasnt shown feats to be put at that regard.

Law would merk Urouge due to matchup. Law is OP and frankly i can go on and put him at YC3 at DR, but above that wouldnt make sense.

Doflamingo is unarguably inferior to Katakuri (not by much, just inferior FOR SURE), and even with the advantage of knowing most of Law's abilities, someone who is bellow Kata can't do what Dofla did against a YC2 lvl character, WITHOUT his major power : awakening.

Now as i know you think Doflamingo > Katakuri, Katakuri has better offense, CoA, speed, CoO, and base DF is also better than Doflamingo's base DF. The only thing Doflamingo has above Katakuri is a better awakening, endurance and durability.

Awesome chapter(y) In the end even Kaido giving Oden the respect he deserves. And what does he mean by "I killed old hag"...?? Did he mean Kurozumi Higurashi for interrupting his battle??
The only unsatisfactory part was Oda sidelining Toki, I had great hopes for her character but...
Post automatically merged:

Maybe or may not be but as of now there are only two who are chosen ones - Luffy (joyboy) and zoro (ryuma)

Apart from them worst generation itself seem to be chosen ones in some way especially if we talk about law and kidd.
Imo every SH was chosen or kinda destined to achieve something that has never been done before.. Not only Luffy and Zoro but every member has their unique ambition, an unprecedented goal like finding 'All-Blue', creating a map of the whole world etc... Also, all of them carry the wills of strong and unique men on their shoulders, like with Robin it's her mother and all the people of Ohara, with Franky it's Tom and for Sanji it's Zeff... Resolute and uncommon individuals who passed on their mantles to SH members. And lastly, by the end of the story not only Zoro but each individual will be the best in his respective field...

Last edited:
Haven't read the chapter yet and don't plan to until better translations come out. I refuse to read it in poor quality.

But I'm commenting because I couldn't help but notice people bringing up prophecies, destiny and even comparing this to Naruto.....??? if you're claiming that this is the same or that Oda is saying that Luffy is a chosen one, then you are very confused.

The reason people complained about Naruto back then wasn't because it had themes of destiny and prophecy. It was because it set up the thematic idea of fighting against those concepts only to reveal the that protagonist was fulfilling a destiny the entire time. It contradicted itself. That was the problem. Or atleast thats how things are perceived. In Naruto, Naruto was always destined for greatness. Such is not the same for Luffy.

Oden isn't even claiming that Luffy specifically is the chosen one. Oden, Roger, and people like them who are waiting for the Dawn just believe that someone will come along. It could literally be anyone. Which is no different than saying that someone will go to Walmart today. Or that someone will go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac :rolleyes:. It's such a general statement that calling it "destiny" when someone actually shows up is fucking silly. It was bound to happen anyway.

And thats the difference between the two series. They're making two completely different comments on Destiny. Blackbeard and the Blackbeard Pirates are the only ones who genuinely believe that fate has decided everything already. That destiny is predetermined. But Luffy represents the opposite. And this is clearly represented for us as one of the themes of Luffy vs Katakuri. At the start of the fight it's asked "Who decides the Future?" at the end of the fight we have the answer. Luffy the Man of Action succeeds over the man who can merely see the Future. As Bege points out for us "Everyone has the power to change the Future". He who takes action is the one who decides the future. And so Luffy, by constantly taking action, is actively creating his destiny. He wasn't born to be Pirate King. But by constantly taking action he's actively turning himself into the only man who could be Pirate King. He wasn't chosen by fate. He chose himself. And through sheer force of will he continues to turn himself into the man he wants to be. Thats the difference between what Blackbeard believes and Luffy represents and what One Piece is ultimately saying about fate & destiny.

One the otherhand, in the eyes of many readers, Naruto was seemingly trying to make a comment of fighting destiny and failed. Thats where the criticism came from.

Whereas One Piece is ultimately leading to a clash of self-made destiny(Luffy) VS predetermined fate(Blackbeard).
:goyea::goyea:

Luffy has always been the chosen one as all other protagonists in other series are! The force of the plot armor has always been very strong in him.
Indeed my friend but I feel Oda knows plot armor must have a limit before turning inconsistent. Ok at Luffy escaping MF alive but not him soloing a yonko like this. What will he solo next arc? Akainu? Doesnt work imo.

Indeed my friend but I feel Oda knows plot armor must have a limit before turning inconsistent. Ok at Luffy escaping MF alive but not him soloing a yonko like this. What will he solo next arc? Akainu? Doesnt work imo.
Luffy's character is like one that grows stronger with each fight. Building towards the end he has to take on the most powerful villians alone because he is the protagonist. Makes no sense crowning him the pirate king if he isn't stronger than everyone.

People don't hate naruto because he was the chosen one people hate him because it came out of nowhere and naruto used to ramble about hard work and being born weak yet overcoming more talented ninjas by training more than them but in the end it didn't matter he was chosen to be a great ninja and a savior

If anyone is surprised that Fate and Destiny play a huge part in OP after all the clues and foreshadowing in the story then he lack reading comprehension simple as that
Actually he did not lack any reading comprehension. He is just a fuvking Luffy hater and ignorant. So he always find a hole to Bash Luffy, simple as that.

He even said a plus in oden's FB is the absent of Luffy. A fucking hater, I just don't know why he Hates Luffy so much?

Luffy's character is like one that grows stronger with each fight. Building towards the end he has to take on the most powerful villians alone because he is the protagonist. Makes no sense crowning him the pirate king if he isn't stronger than everyone.
No one denies his potential and importance but One Piece doesn't work like Dragon Ball with Luffy turning Super Saiyan all of a sudden my friend. The barrier is ticker.

H

Homelander

I reread Oden's flashback.

Personally, I found it slow and boring if we take the parts off with Newgate and Roger.
I preferred, more, those of Kyros and Big Mom, which I found more concise and better written.
Kyros is the Gatsu of the One Piece world and is one of the most epic characters in the whole story. The cut on Doflamingo's head was one of the best moments in Dressrosa.
Big Mom turned out to be the second character who disappointed me most in the whole story, however, his flashback thrilled me like few others.

Oden, beyond the tributes, is a halfway between Luffy and Zoro. And I found it a little anonymous.
Born as a special being, but not inhuman as Linlin, who already massacred giants as a child.
Later, we see him tearing apart a giant monster, in circumstances similar to those of Ryuma in Monster, who, however, tore apart a dragon, not a boar.
When it collides with Whitebeard and Roger it reaches, for me, the pinnacle. Generally, the whole pirate part is interesting, even if it is also stretched.
Oden is lucky twice, given that, both times he returns, he finds Kuri still standing. But things could have been different: on his return, he could have found a wasteland with no more human beings, in case Kaido had activated himself.
Our pirate samurai took a big risk to abandon his land. If he hadn't left, he would have become Shogun, which he didn't want right now.

As I write this article, other considerations come to mind.
Oden could have saved his country, making it Newgate or Roger territory. The latter, as we know, would have stopped the trip a year after meeting Oden, however, Kaido would have been away from Wa for at least another year. With a little luck, perhaps, he would have made a base in another place.

In any case, if Oden had never left, he would probably have become Shogun. However, upon Kaido's arrival on the island, Oden would have been weaker than his pirate version and Wa, paradoxically, could have fallen into the hands of the Lord of the Beasts.
Upon his definitive return, Oden learns of the country's tragic situation and launches himself against the City of Flowers (part that I liked).
However, for a series of subterfuges, Orochi manages to manipulate Oden, and make him fool for five years in a row (part that I did not like).
At this juncture, we finally see the young Moria also clash with Kaido. I think we will see something of this clash in Moria's flashback after arriving in Onigashima.
After five years, Oden and the Nine Sheaths clash with Kaido and his army.
Oden proves to be stronger than Kaido, but is defeated by a dirty trick by Kaido.
The group is condemned to a death penalty: to die boiled in hot oil.
During this killing, Oden manages to make his companions flee and dies. At this juncture, Luffy's arrival in twenty years is indirectly predicted, and this is why Toki sends the samurai into the future, twenty years later, although it would have made more sense to send them to the Wa a year later, when Kaido was still very far from its peak.
In the world of One Piece, you don't exist
I'm Emperors, Admirals, Flotars, Supernovae, etc. But only Luffy exists, and only he can solve the problems.
If Luffy would not have set foot in Dressrosa, no one would have defeated Doflamingo; if Luffy hadn't set foot on Whole Cake Island, nobody would have defeated Katakuri. Consequently, if Luffy hadn't set foot in Wa, nobody would have defeated Kaido. This is how Eiichiro Oda's sick mind works and, for me, this twenty year old is another paraculata like the others.

I am aware of three inconsistencies:
-there are no ships in Wa
This acquittal is incorrect. I remind you that there are ports in the country: there are, in fact, pirate ships.
How did Oden get out of Wa? He was accompanied by Newgate.
So potentially anyone could exit the Kingdom using pirate ships and warn anyone, even the Navy, if they wanted to, in case of danger.
At one point, Oden had also asked the Shogun for ships, which could also mean that someone was able to build ships in Wa.
Furthermore, with the arrival of Kaido and his army, I remind you that the pirates of this one must have necessarily arrived with ships. So even the latter could be taken.
I remind you that even Kinemeno - & - company, after arriving from their time travel, managed to escape Wa using a boat.
-the two crews
During the flashback, we saw an exceptional clash from the two biggest and strongest pirates of the moment: Roger and Newgate.
If their confrontation was consistent, it was not the same for their crews.
Roger's crew was at its peak and made up of experienced men, while Newgate's crew was still in its infancy and was made up mostly of kids. A bit like seeing Shanks' crew fight on par with Kidd's crew.
Do you see us Rayleigh and Gaban fighting on equal terms with Marco and Jozu teenagers? Not me.
Still, the two crews clashed for three days, on an equal footing. Mysteries of faith.
-that nobody touches Kaido
After five years the return of Oden, the latter proves to be stronger than Kaido, even if the latter defeats him irregularly. If Roger was at the Emperor level, Oden, who was his subordinate, certainly could not be at his level. Hence, it should not have been on the same level as Newgate and Garp, who fought on equal terms with Roger.
As it was not supposed to be at the level of Rayleigh, who was the number one of the Pirate King, and perhaps he was also inferior to Scopper Gaban.
At the time, Oden could have been at the level of an admiral, perhaps, but certainly not more.
The point of the discussion is that, all these people capable of leading Oden, could have also brought Kaido, however, for the next few years, nobody will.
All those who had the ability to bring down Kaido had to be: Newgate, Garp, Rayleigh, Gaban, Sengoku, Kong and Big Mom.
Whitebeard, after learning of Oden's death and Kaido's tyranny, should have rushed to Wa in the shortest time possible and made him the deck, which he didn't do.
For plot reasons, both Newgate and the Navy will not have to know anything about Oden's death or as late as possible to allow Kaido to become even stronger.
Without forgetting that, after this flashback, we are aware that the two minks had left the kingdom to return to their homeland. On the way, why shouldn't they have warned Newgate ?!

Wishing to conclude: I found the flashback excessively long and boring, with a somewhat anonymous Oden. And Kaido has come down to me: his alleged invincibility has already gone to be blessed. As a character, Orochi certainly comes out better.

Rating: 6/10
Part of it is correct this story is about luffy not about WB , Shanks . I know thats how oda wants to works it but the plots makes luffy the good guy . So it makes sense Luffy should beat kaido since fate as him pirate king .

Overall people wish to know why WB didnt go and help ?Why didnt oden and scabbard take the ship , its all part of the plot if everything was solved there would have been no luffy .
Post automatically merged:

People don't hate naruto because he was the chosen one people hate him because it came out of nowhere and naruto used to ramble about hard work and being born weak yet overcoming more talented ninjas by training more than them but in the end it didn't matter he was chosen to be a great ninja and a savior

If anyone is surprised that Fate and Destiny play a huge part in OP after all the clues and foreshadowing in the story then he lack reading comprehension simple as that
I would say problem is not with chosen one . Naruto had lot of problem with story-line and ass pulls and it was decent story overall the ending had good conclusion .

Many fans didnt like to because war arc dragged too long .

I actually slightly disagree on the fate part . Naruto storyline had fate i wouldnt say he was chose one , he was asura's reincarnation that transmigrated over the years and he was hokage's son it kinda makes sense naruto was destined for greatness similar to luffy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.