Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 977 : "The Party Won't Start Now"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn´t you even mentioned him as a big shot in Kaido crew back then in Oro jackson?
Would be great if he is this guy which we see in PH.
There is another scene with the character where he authoritatively tells a henchman to tell Jack about Caesar getting captured.

Seeing as Oda is a super huge stickler for character design and foreshadowing, and the fact that we have YET to see a character in the Beasts Pirates who's:

- Bald and Thin (so not Queen)
- Has horns like Kaido (We have yet to see any bald, horned characters in the crew)
- Wears a feathered/fur cape like JUST like Kaido

- And displays an authoritative nature to henchmen outside of the Tobi Roppo/All-Stars/Kaido.

Tldr: I agree with @The Penguin and believe that he's Kaido's son and the Ace of the crew.

You though probably about his role in the crew? Probably above King and Queen?
Thats what I think. I have this theory that Oda knows taking down Kaido/Big Mom right now is a problem. I still think its going to happen anyway, BUT Luffy almost always receives a mano a mano fight wholeheartedly each arc. IMO, it won't be Kaido.

The Ace, or Kaido's son assuming, would be the "main" fight Luffy receives this arc. Everyone else gets their fights the same way (i.e. Zoro v. King, Sanji v. Queen, whatever). However, something Hawkins said has been particularly bothering me lately:

- "You have a 15% chance of surviving the month, Monkey D. Luffy". Its ONLY been 2 weeks.

Part of me is starting to believe the Raid at Onigashima is NOT the beginning of Throne Wars against "Rocks". Luffy and crew WILL win at Onigashima, but only partly. Kaido and Big Mom will have bigger plans beyond Orochi and this will segue into an even greater conflict in mainland Wano against the revived Rocks pirates. THIS event, IMO, be an Oars-like battle against Kaido/Big Mom. Sword members arrive. Neko arrives with Whitebeard/Roger crew members. The whole thing is a crazy mess against 2 Yonko, possibly some other former Rocks pirates, and whoever is left from the Beasts Pirates and the Big Mom Pirates. Remember, Sengoku practically teased that something huge is happening at Wano. Wano, the location, is central to something we DON'T know yet. WHY is Onigashima even there? What is the reason that skull is sitting miles off shore from the island?

This way, we don't walk away from this arc believing Luffy could handle any villain after taking on 1 or 2 Yonko in their backyards.

TLDR: Luffy will fight the Ace as his main battle. All in Act 3. A small timelapse happens while in Wano for some unspecified reason, and Rocks overall becomes the bigger problem. Act 4 is when the Marines and Former WB/Roger pirates join in the chaos. Taking down Kaido and Big Mom is a combined, team effort where the 6 Supernova and others take them down. Basically Wano is a much much bigger arc than we are thinking (even by 100+ chapter standards)

Last edited:
M

MD Zolo

Well...the chapter was okay. It wasn't amazing or anything.

Kin'emon is as sly as ever and Denjiro seems like an idiot. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?!!

Kid turned the whole crew cheery just for his friend Killer. Kid-Killer bond seems stronger than originally anticipated.

Luffy is in over his head thinking that he will beat Kaido AND Big Mom. But why is Law getting himself into this mess? Does he honestly think that the alliance can beat two Yonkou crews?

Why say "all six" Tobi Roppo are present? Do the Tobi Roppo not usually come together? Did something happen? Or did Oda used it to give hints that all six are fine? This has got to be the most controversial part of the chapter.

But why is Law getting himself into this mess? Does he honestly think that the alliance can beat two Yonkou crews?
Law had someone help him escape after he was caught by Hawkins and he spoke about going along with their plan when he had defeated Hawkins. so no doubt its part of this characters plan. question is who is it. was it Drake and are SWORD coming to the war? was it CP-0 wanting rid of Orochi to keep himf rom getting Vegapunk? or was it Denjiro revealing himself to Law? so many mysteries.

At this point where I'm even questioning where or how Act 3 will even end. The last 2 Acts ended with a timeskip of several days and we got outside world news. We are literally about to jump into conflict so I doubt an act is ending now of all places. Its starting to really sit with me that:

- The Onigashima Raid is not where Kaido and Big Mom will fall; or where the War truly starts.
- But where most of the 1v1 battles will take place before said war

I've mentioned this a few times but Hawkins specifies that Luffy needs to survive the month, and we are only halfway through said month. I can Wano panning out like this:

- Act 3 focuses on the Raid at Onigashima. The battles with the Tobi Roppo, Numbers, All Stars, Big Mom's upper tier fighters and perhaps Luffy fighting Kaido's son (The Ace?) happen here.
- Act 4 begins with some unspecified shift and focus on Rocks. A timeskip happens to about 2 weeks later (to allow for recovery on Onigashima?). THIS is where the main war begins. Marines and Neko join in on multiple sides trying to take down these 2 Yonko and whatever Rocks related plot they may have going. The act may even start with a Kaido/Big Mom flashback.

But yea, at this point I'm wondering if Wano will have almost 2 climaxes of sorts. Act 3 focusing on individual battles and conflict. Luffy fights the Ace, Zoro v. King., whatever. They get the Road Poneglyph. Orochi goes down. Momo gets rescued., etc. But Act 4 shifts focus to Rocks and their danger to Wano, then we get an even bigger, multi-tiered Oars-like War against the 2 Yonko back on mainland Wano, where many characters work to take both Yonko down. Maybe other Rocks pirates join in with Kaido/Big Mom at this time. They drop their crew and replace them with former Rocks members.

We'd basically go from a CP-9 type conflict to Marineford between 2 acts.

THIS, IMO is how Oda prevents Luffy from getting too powerful before the other Yonko and the other upper tiers in the story.

Obviously this is most likely wrong, but I'm just trying to process how Luffy and crew even take on these 2 Yonko and resolve everything away from Wano country itself. Not to mention Hiyori, Tama and Tengu are all missing and are pretty important to the arc itself.

The way I see it playing out is that the war outside is act 3 with the fights against the flying 6 and big moms lesser kids and the act will end with Luffy and crew about to enter the mansion, act 4 will be the mansion battles with kaido, Big Mom, Orochi and the calamities and act 5 is the after party.

the inbetween of act 3 and act 4 could be stuff that is happening at the same time outside of wano.

they've said the entire arc that the fire festival at Onigashima is their last chnace, there will never be another. so i don't see how there can be any more opportunities after that. its now or never basically.

The way I see it playing out is that the war outside is act 3 with the fights against the flying 6 and big moms lesser kids and the act will end with Luffy and crew about to enter the mansion, act 4 will be the mansion battles with kaido, Big Mom, Orochi and the calamities and act 5 is the after party.

the inbetween of act 3 and act 4 could be stuff that is happening at the same time outside of wano.

they've said the entire arc that the fire festival at Onigashima is their last chnace, there will never be another. so i don't see how there can be any more opportunities after that. its now or never basically.
I could see that. There are just a few things that have been in the back of my mind lately:

- Namely Rocks as a whole. Its been heavily hinted as a major problem going forward (Go back to Sengoku's whole discussion on them, it's a much bigger problem being stated than what Wano is suggesting). If Rocks gets resolved like, right now at Onigashima, it becomes a non-issue, which would go entirely against Sengoku's concerns.

- Onigashima itself and its relation to Wano. We have no idea why its there and why Geographically Wano was so significant to the void century. Odens flashback made it sound like Wano literally had its borders (like it was raised entirely from the earth) formed during this time period. I'm starting to suspect that Onigashima was an Oni Giant that was responsible for literally lifting Wano off of the ground and raising it into the sky. Thats why Wano is above normal ocean.

- But why would Onigashima do this (hypothetically)? What key does Wano have to being like this. Why did he save Wano?

- On top of this, combine the Rocks plot with all of this. How does it even relate?

Its why I think there will be a small timeskip between Acts 3 and 4 where more players can join in on the War (Sword/Neko if he isn't finished recruiting by then) and we get a ton more exposition for what the main goals are for Orochi/Kaido. I feel like Rocks and Wano, while related, are two echelons of conflicts. Part of it will get resolved at Onigashima, the rest in the Capital.

Like you say, Act 3 could be some of the battles, especially some preliminary ones against some Big Mom/Kaido enemies. But I do truly think Act 4 will take place back in the Capital and on the sea back to Hakumai.

Last edited:
I could see that. There are just a few things that have been in the back of my mind lately:

- Namely Rocks as a whole. Its been heavily hinted as a major problem going forward (Go back to Sengoku's whole discussion on them, it's a much bigger problem being stated than what Wano is suggesting). If Rocks gets resolved like, right now at Onigashima, it becomes a non-issue, which would go entirely against Sengoku's concerns.

- Onigashima itself and its relation to Wano. We have no idea why its there and why Geographically Wano was so significant to the void century. Odens flashback made it sound like Wano literally had its borders (like it was raised entirely from the earth) formed during this time period. I'm starting to suspect that Onigashima was an Oni Giant that was responsible for literally lifting Wano off of the ground and raising it into the sky. Thats why Wano is above normal ocean.

- But why would Onigashima do this? What key does Wano have to being like this. Why did he save Wano?

- On top of this, combine the Rocks plot with all of this. How does it even relate?

Its why I think there will be a small timeskip between Acts 3 and 4 where more players can join in on the War (Sword/Neko if he isn't finished recruiting by then) and we get a ton more exposition for what the main goals are for Orochi/Kaido. I feel like Rocks and Wano, while related, are two echelons of conflicts. Part of it will get resolved at Onigashima, the rest in the Capital.

Like you say, Act 3 could be some of the battles, especially some preliminary ones against some Big Mom/Kaido enemies. But I do truly think Act 4 will take place back in the Capital and on the sea back to Hakumai.

I believe all the rocks pirate set up stuff is to prove what Luffy's capability will be after this arc, the marines are worried it could cause major problems in the future but in usual Luffy fashion, he's going to solve their problem before it becomes an actual thing.
It will raise his infamy and help himsecure the 5 Billion berry bounty at the end of the arc, this is the moment where he will surpass his grandfather or pretty much reach the same kind of accomplishment and cement his legend before Laugh Tale.

I see where the son storyline is going :
Kaido's son is a disgrace in his eyes (either he's a good guy who doesn't like what his father is doing or a weakling or both) that's why between Oden's flashback and now Kaido changed and wants to die, because he's ashamed of his son.
Kaido said that it's a feast and he should show himself meaning that he probably hides in Onigashima to not interact with the Beast Pirates and read some books or do something peaceful.

During his imprisonment in Onigashima Momonosuke will become friend with Kaido's son and after the Beast Pirates are defeated the people of Wano learning that he's Kaido's son will want to kill him or some shit. Momo will step in and say that they will not repeat the mistakes of the past like they did with the Kurozumi, saving Kaido's son.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.