Spoiler One Piece Chapter 979 Spoilers Discussion

Who Would Win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marco and katakuri are directly stated to be the people who take over once the captain is gone. And they aren't first mate. Yet first mate is the person who takes over once the captain is incapacitated.

So I guess your feelings on the issue don't really matter fo they. Seems pretty obvious Oda doesn't care
Don't blame me but the official sources. Marco was the doctor and was never given the title of first mate in Vivre Cards. Katakuri is the strongest Sweet Commander but, again, hasn't been addressed with such role. Same for Zoro, who is the combatant o the crew.

I have no feelings on the issue. I'm just showing you the factual information that "first mate" is a speciffic official role given to a small amount of right-hand men that sometimes aren't even the clear strongest in the crew (Mohji was portrayed to be equal to Cabaji in a cover story and they're both arguably under Galdino, and Jango was Kuro's first mate yet was defeated by Usopp).

What I'm saying doesn't even deny Zoro's authority, in case you were understanding it that way. I'm simply addressing the common misconception of thinking that every right-hand man is the first mate of their crews even though they haven't been given that title and not every crew really follows that hierarchy.

I mean, Zoro has been directly alluded to being the Vice Captain. Luffy met Zoro first, similar to how Roger met Rayleigh and how they started a pirate crew together. Zoro always fights the 2nd strongest opponent in an arc. This is a hard cold, known fact. The Barto Pirates called Zoro the Vice-Captain, which is indirectly through Oda's words REGARDLESS of what people like to assume its only Barto's words.

This is getting ridiculous, every other crew member has a role, Zoro's is Vice Captain.
Zoro's official role is combatant, same as Lucky Roo. Check the Vivre Cards.

He has been only alluded as the first mate by a Bartolomeo that explicitly stated that he was considered as such by him, not in a official way nor by the world as he specifies "(by me)" (and Bartolomeo is a caricature of fanboys, not Oda). In case you were wondering, Urouge never, ever pronounces the word "first mate" (you can check the raw panel if you want).

Kuroobi was arguably stronger than Hatchan and was defeated by Sanji and the only supreme officer of Doflamingo that was clearly portrayed above the rest was Vergo, not Pica, who was put alongside Trébol and Diamante in a SBS (while Vergo was alongside Doflamingo) and had the exact same bounty as those two.

And at the end of the day what you wrote is irrelevant because what I'm discussing is that first mate is a very specific title that only a few right-hand men share, not that Zoro isn't the second strongest or Luffy's right-hand man.

Zoro literally the first mate and the only one Luffy actively seeked out to join his crew like Roger and Ray
Zoro literally is the combatant, like Lucky Roo but unlike Benn Beckman (one of the few right-hand men officially addressed as first mate).

Status
Not open for further replies.