Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
From portrayal, Kidd might be close to Luffy. Oda portrays him as Luffy's rival in Sabaody Archipelago, Udon and Onigashima. I think Oda saves Kidd fullpower for last act.
If Kidd happens to be on par with Luffy this will be the biggest bullshit ever.

He has 0 feats whatsoever. I understand this from story standpoint but power wise?
C'mon.

Zoro at least cut Pica and one-shotted his 1st commander:kata:

- I don’t know if it’s the Canadian blood in me, but I’ve always adored scenes in snowy environments. It was somber, yet weirdly romantic, to see the Scabbards mourning killing the traitor among them amid the snow. Kanjuro’s death itself was way too abrupt for my taste though. He was interesting as a menacing unapologetic psychotic villain presence. It sure looks like he’s dead for good, but we’ve been down that road way too many times, so we’ll wait and see on that one.

- Oda’s perspective shots have become brilliant compared to his older art. It’d be intriguing to see Kaido submerged, and explain surviving.
I believe that needs to be addressed since he must’ve tried suicide by drowning. Oden said if he fails to kill Kaido, it’ll be a long time before he’s defeated, I hope we get the secret behind his “immortality”

- After 985, I said I’d have liked to see Orochi’s men show Samurai pride and oppose Kaido. Thinking about it in the context of 986, they had already discarded their Samurai pride eons ago when deciding to follow the most un-Samurai Samurai ever. The question of what makes vassals truly loyal to their lord has been addressed throughout, but seeing the parallel between the Scabbards carrying Oden’s words 20 years into the future vs Orochi’s men being indifferent to his “death” was quite an eye opening parallel.

- Speaking of parallels, Momo and Yamato are still searching for their own identity outside of their fathers’ shadows. Momo being unfit yer desiring to become Shogun. Yamato being fit to become Shogun but explore the sea instead. She seemed to have held some faint hope of Kaido still caring for her, but nope. Handcuffs go boooooom! :kaimoji:

- The old Wano isn’t dead just yet. SUNATCHI MOTHERFUCKER! :pagemoji: Kaido knows the weight of Oden’s words, to the extent he's still living rent free in his head :doffytroll:

- Traditional battle cry to signal the war’s start is thematic justice. There’s nothing wrong with sticking to tradition, but in the form of isolationism, it’s self defeating. Outside assistance can go a long way. Luffy, as usual, instinctively recognizes the heart of the problem That’s probably one of Joy Boy’s inerited traits as well.
The locals will start it but the outsiders will finish it. That’s why you see the big players like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Kid, Law, etc... staying behind for the moment.

- Toei are going to extend these 4 panels into 10 minutes of colorful aura orgasms, and I’ll be there for it :yasu::yasu:

- Who’s Who’s swag is effortless. The dude is getting to Ulti and Pay Pay level’s for me without having to do anything.

- I don’t remember Izo looking this raw before, the swiftness when he disarmed King :steef:

The Scabbards are super strong, but I have a feeling this’ll be next chapter :vistalaugh:
really man...I need to learn some writing skills from you...whatever I want to put, you put in a more detailed way.....:kata:
this post is beyond the comprehensive realm of worst chapter because "Kaido and calamities" got knocked out their weapons...finally some quality post about story and themes without powerscaling stuff and Z vs S shit...

He has 0 feats whatsoever. I understand this from story standpoint but power wise?
C'mon.

0 chance Kid is close to Luffy. Even Law > Kid for the time being by every measure. Yes, Kid might surpass him eventually, but right now Law > Kid.

And Luffy got 2 powerups FS + CoA. Kid is nowhere near Luffy. More comparable to Zoro.

N

NeutralWatcher

C'mon.

Monkey D Dragon also has 0 feat but that doesn't mean he is not top tier. Same with Greenbull. We haven't seen their feats but from portrayal they are top tiers.

Monkey D Dragon also has 0 feat but that doesn't mean he is not top tier. Same with Greenbull. We haven't seen their feats but from portrayal they are top tiers.
Dragon is the most dangerous man in the world, and likely has a bounty that surpasses Roger. People in One Piece think Eustass Kid was beaten by Snack. There is no comparison on their portrayal.

Kid with all his destruction, still has a lower bounty than Law, which was frozen for 1 year.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I don't care about Dragon. Lost interest in him after he didn't make it to Mariejois and enjoyed a tea with a bunch of gays.

Doffy hyped Greenbul on par with Fuji.

Kidd's biggest portrayal was killing civilians and scratching the Yonko commander.
( He probably cut one of the cracker soldier clones:suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure: )

Even fucking Urouge beat YC.

One very little fun fact:

Luffy calls Yamato "Yama-O" after the explosion, which is him trying to respect her wish of being treated like Oden (as a male). He does the same to Law for example ("Tra-O"), it's something you address males with.

Yamato immediately corrects him and tells him "It's Ya-Ma-To!", basically telling him that she doesn't want to be treated like a male anymore.
nice catch...good to see that she is coming out of Oden shadow....

N

NeutralWatcher

Dragon is the most dangerous man in the world, and likely has a bounty that surpasses Roger. People in One Piece think Eustass Kid was beaten by Snack. There is no comparison on their portrayal.

Kid with all his destruction, still has a lower bounty than Law, which was frozen for 1 year.
I think Kidd has portrayal to be Luffy's equal.

1. Oda portrayed Luffy and Kid as rivals 3 times.
- Sabaody Archipelago
- Udon
- Onigashima Raid

2. Both of them have CoC.

3. Both of them have first mate who are also part of WG.

4. Has the highest bounty among supernova before TS and at the start of TS had the highest bounty before Law and Luffy bounty surpassed him.

5. Before TS when defeating marine fodders he has an attack that matched Luffy's G3 and in Onigashima radi he had an attack that matched Luffy's G4.

6. Fought BM, Red Hair Pirates and lost to Kaido so Oda can decide how strong he is since we haven't seen his full strength.

7. Oda also said he has big plan for Kidd.

Kidd's bounty is also frozen because he was captured by Kaido unlike Law and Luffy.

Pretty good chapter I liked Momo's resolve. It looks like Yamato's opponent is going to be Ulti, I'm not too bumped about the whole calamities getting caught off guard thing as it's more a matter of forwarding the story though it begs the question why CoO usefulness does not come into play now. I feel like Oda chooses to forgo these things just for some cool parallels etc when it would have been more impactful imo to have a Marco/Jozu you can't just go for the King scene with the calamities to really show the gravity of the task they have at hand.

Interesting that Zoro is sharing a panel with Kidd and Law and no sign of Killer but I'm also happy that they are actually getting damaged. It shows how strong a Yonko crew is.

I don't care about Dragon. Lost interest in him after he didn't make it to Mariejois and enjoyed a tea with a bunch of gays.

Kidd's biggest portrayal was killing civilians and scratching the Yonko commander.
( He probably cut one of the cracker soldier clones:suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure: )

Current Luffy is capable of heavily injuring if not outright beating Kaido in a 1 v. 1. Kid has 0 powerups from the last he got rocked. He gets bodied in a 1 v. 1.

And even in 923, Luffy had the "no Future Sight/CoO" excuse since he lost his temper after Tama/his teammates were shot at by Kaido.

Man, you guys are on some next level of crack.

Kiku made a big speech about his death and his soul in the afterlife last chapter. We saw a flashback of all the Scabbards with Oden when they were young. They were crying over it and Kinemon walks over to put his hat on him while walking away.

This is the biggest arc in One Piece. People are going to die. Moreso than Marineford.
Dude, if you really think Orochi or Kanjuro are just casually getting killed like this by Oda, you haven't been reading the same manga.

I may remind you that since the start of the series (986 chapters), we only had 2 confirmed (!) deaths/kills in the present time (Ace and WB) and both were just very important to progress the story.

Oda even once said, that he doesn't like killing off characters.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Current Luffy is capable of heavily injuring if not outright beating Kaido in a 1 v. 1. Kid has 0 powerups from the last he got rocked. He gets bodied in a 1 v. 1.

And even in 923, Luffy had the "no Future Sight/CoO" excuse since he lost his temper after Tama/his teammates were shot at by Kaido.
I know.

I see this Luffy/Kidd comparison as a total joke but people enjoy dogshit like showing Kidd in the same panel with Luffy.

pOrTrAyEd aS rIvAlS

C'mon.

And it would make their time skip training useless. Why would the straw hats train for 2 years if it was to have the same progression than kidd?

We already saw luffy is far above Law. It should be the same with Kidd.
Zoro being his first mate should also be stronger than these 2 after training 2 years under Mihawk.

Last edited:
N

NeutralWatcher

Nah I think he has other portrayal.

Portrayed as Luffy's rival three times in Udon, Onigashima, Sabaody Archipelago, Along with Luffy the only supernova to have first mate who is also a supernova. Before TS when defeating marine fodders he has an attack that matched Luffy's G3 and in Onigashima radi he had an attack that matched Luffy's G4. He and Luffy also have CoC.

Oda said he has plan for Kidd.

Status
Not open for further replies.