Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had already forgeted about Orochi ahahahah.

Would be very cool if he is dead, showing that the true enemy was always Kaido, but i think his fruit will have some unique power that will make him come back and that Orochi himself didnt know about this ability.

Pehaps he will sneak out of Onigashima and go after Hiyori. There's some plot points that link the two, like the Komurasaki thing, she saying that she want to kill Orochi and the info he have about she being alive and hiding somewhere.

Surprised to see 987 will be out a day late. Probably means Saturday release for unofficial followed by Monday for official. There's a whole Jump break after that, so this gives us a chance to let this chapter soak in a little more and takes away a day from the following break. Now a deeper look into dialogue with the official here.
  • Kaido is a cow-gorilla demon. So cow=horns, gorilla = muscles, demon = dad?
  • Izo's words about death are much better here. He's not belittling the situation at Wano at all, he just acknowledges he could have died many times before this such as Marineford, the Payback War, maybe even against the Roger Pirates.
  • Luffy says Yamao, she corrects it to Yamato. I know it's a gendered nickname, but I'm not sure the implications are as deep as people are making it out to be. I'm sure Oda will spell it out for his readers if that's the case.
Kama with a brush > Inu with a bat. To be fair, it's hard to fight with Kiku's hands all over your body.

This scene hurts a lot more when you realize the entire time Kanjuro was siphoning Oden's money to Orochi, on top of Orochi begging for money occasionally himself.
Kanjuro seeing that even when they "killed him" (all the damage happened off panel, his corpse is flipped on his stomach with wounds not showing, his eyes are hidden), the time jumping Scabbards still cry for him and Kin'emon covers him from the snow with his hat as a sign of respect. Kanjuro will be touched because even as a villain they treated him like a brother. To me, the possibility of Kanjuro switching sides just got stronger.
  • We don't know the full extent of evil Kanjuro's abilities. He could easily fake his death with a new power the readers have not seen before.
  • It's not a simple fake out. The Scabbards did kill someone, they killed evil Kanjuro. This is the death scene evil Kanjuro wanted, just as Scabbard Kanjuro wanted to finish his role with Oden in the pot.
  • Orochi will "pretend" to be dead as long as he sees there is a war going on. He is that cowardly. When things die down, that's when slips out of the scene into safety. Kanjuro will effectively think he's dead, cutting off his only tie to the dark side.
  • When we see Kanjuro next time, he may have a new face -- one that will perish in Wano but tries to make up for his mistakes.
This is such a hilarious scene in retrospect. Kaido talking about how loyal Samurai are to their masters, to the land of Wano, how they will choose honor even if it means death just like the Kozuki family and many Wano clans like the Shimotsuki he wiped out. Next panel, these two immediately bend over.

Hyo is furious as there is no shred of bushido inside these guys. There never was. They immediately abandoned the Kozuki family to serve Orochi and now they're just doing it again. Orochi killed Hyo's wife, and he's still mad. Even if they're bad guys serving Shogun Orochi they should at least stay loyal to Wano and their evil master. Instead, they surrender the flower capital to Kaido and his mongol invaders, who cares not one lick about the history or the survival of the people of Wano.
Nami's one true weakness turns out to be a giant bath towel :milaugh::milaugh::milaugh:
It's the one thing keeping her from using her almighty Color of Ero haki!

I believe that yokai is called the Nurikabe but his flexibility made me think of anything but.
Luffy using advanced armament without blackening his hands. Not like Rayleigh, not like Udon. Well wait for volume version to see if that's corrected. Otherwise, throw this one into the endless case study of Black vs Invisible haki. Turns out you don't even need the black stuff if you want go advanced so all of Marineford arc rectified.
I am glad Shinobu clarified that Oden knew all along. That justifies his targets in the flashback.

Think about it. When Orochi broke his promise with his foot on Oden's face, Oden didn't just cut off his head at that moment. When Oden was upset and his Scabbards followed him, they all marched to Kaido's mansion and completely ignored Orochi in the flower capital. Why? Because Oden knew all along! Orochi is completely worthless without Kaido's backing. Though for the people who think Orochi is currently dead, it would have been such a cool twist if Oden beheaded him but the Yamato no Orochi saves his life. Then Kaido does it again and while you're looking for the fake out to appear, it doesn't because Orochi is dead for good.
It's so great how Kaido says not only will he not execute him, but actually apologize for the whole thing. He tries so hard to get a Kozuki to denounce their own name and surrender their honor before a Wano audience. There is no way he actually meant it, Momo was dead no matter what came out of his mouth with a special exception to "Buggy D. Jr." Also great call back to chapter 701:

Momo finally had the courage to own up to his name. When will he overcome his fear of heights and own up to his ability to fly? Will Momo fly away from the execution platform? Will Momo fly Luffy to Wano to stop Kaido's New Onigashima? Can't wait to find out!
Momo's name means second to none.:steef:

When Zoro's time is over, Momo will definitely become the future World's Strongest Swordman.
After his big moment he tries not to cry, but he's still an 8 y.o. about to become pounded meat. Compared to snakes like Fukurokujo and Hotei working for a literal snake Orochi, this is what bushido is really about. The reread hit me much harder.
  • Momo chooses his name even if means throwing away his life
  • The Scabbards choose Sunacchi and charge at Kaido even if they're throwing away their lives in a useless attack
I'm going to upgrade this chapter to a great. Momo is a crybaby and a perv, but with full context the chapter really got me to feel for the little guy.

djiayebee

☆ 𝕊𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕡𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕒𝕕𝕕𝕪 ☆
Luffy says Yamao, she corrects it to Yamato. I know it's a gendered nickname, but I'm not sure the implications are as deep as people are making it out to be. I'm sure Oda will spell it out for his readers if that's the case.
So, as I expected and mentioned before, they didn't use Yama-guy or Yama-bro in the official version?
:kayneshrug:

OK... I think I'm confused. I just checked Manga Plus. About ch 986. The explosion. Was it from Yamato's handcuffs or The Nine Red Scabbards raid? :zorothink:
It is as if Luffy after he took the handcuffs, after he throw them, in the same time, the Red Scabbards invaded the place and jumped Kaido. If the explosion was caused by the Red Scabbards, that would confuse Yamato to think that her father really did put explosive handcuffs.
Hmmm...

OK... I think I'm confused. I just checked Manga Plus. About ch 986. The explosion. Was it from Yamato's handcuffs or The Nine Red Scabbards raid? :zorothink:
It is as if Luffy after he took the handcuffs, after he throw them, in the same time, the Red Scabbards invaded the place and jumped Kaido. If the explosion was caused by the Red Scabbards, that would confuse Yamato to think that her father really did put explosive handcuffs.
Hmmm...
The handcuffs. They blow up and while everyone's looking around at it in confusion the Scabbards smash through the wall behind Kaido and try to assassinate him

Some quick thoughts on chapter 986
  • Kanjoro’s death (if he was actually dead) is really disappointing, even if the character was not strong enough, it would have been a great fight against Kin’emon. Oda could have put a lot of drama in the fight and it could have been a really touching to watch.
  • Kaido trying to humiliate Momo was a bit off for me, I think oda did this because he wants to build momentum for The already hyped Yamato. I am not saying Oda did it for Yamato’s sake only because he thinks momo Is non important and shouldn’t get his spotlight time nor should he be addressed Because as a matter of fact, he deserves to get some attention in the storyline even though he is surrounded by these great powers That are hard to ignore, but the fact that the blast that came Right after Momo wishing not to die and the fact that the Blast is done by Yamato hints at Oda hyping for Yamato. This had Partially ruined momo’s moment, partially people, not entirely.
  • The last thing I want to talk about this chapter is the samurai attack on Kaido and his commanders. I was pretty shocked at how fast the Samurai got to disarm kaido and king, but the fact that this was some sort of sneak attack gives a little of creditability to the scene and I think Oda wants us to believe this fight against Kaido actually has a bigger chance than what would some think. I didn’t expect this this to happen tbh (seeing kaido attcaked like this) but I find it awesome because it’s unexpected. However, I think kaido will dominate in the next chapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PeperLevi

Carrot is not that weak imo. In her first appearance she managed to surprise Zoro. Pedro also said she's strong.
Yep Carrot is pretty tough yet go restrained, no much Nami could do.
If this idiot rabbit were really strong,so she would be showed reacting to the Homies and winning onscreen. But no. The Homies are doing with her everything that Linlin order offscreen and effortlessly. Oda is finally showing clearly how the idiot rabbit isn't nothing of what peoples praise her for being and of the most humiliating way possible, but you guys still denying . The rabbit girl is trash and only trash. Accept it and be happy.

Guess Yamato will eat Orochi's DF now and become Yamato no Orochi or something xD. Would be a referrence to Yamata no Orochi, name fits.
I would really think that Yamato's chance of having powers leans most heavily on whether she was fed one or not.

With that one, it's not like the fruit sprouts anywhere convenient or immediate. Remember that Bentham and Bart got the old Kurozumi powers. Good riddance imo, I love Orochi but that power sucks and no one else can make those heads look as funny.

Some quick thoughts on chapter 986
  • Kanjoro’s death (if he was actually dead) is really disappointing, even if the character was not strong enough, it would have been a great fight against Kin’emon. Oda could have put a lot of drama in the fight and it could have been a really touching to watch.
  • Kaido trying to humiliate Momo was a bit off for me, I think oda did this because he wants to build momentum for The already hyped Yamato. I am not saying Oda did it for Yamato’s sake only because he thinks momo Is non important and shouldn’t get his spotlight time nor should he be addressed Because as a matter of fact, he deserves to get some attention in the storyline even though he is surrounded by these great powers That are hard to ignore, but the fact that the blast that came Right after Momo wishing not to die and the fact that the Blast is done by Yamato hints at Oda hyping for Yamato. This had Partially ruined momo’s moment, partially people, not entirely.
  • The last thing I want to talk about this chapter is the samurai attack on Kaido and his commanders. I was pretty shocked at how fast the Samurai got to disarm kaido and king, but the fact that this was some sort of sneak attack gives a little of creditability to the scene and I think Oda wants us to believe this fight against Kaido actually has a bigger chance than what would some think. I didn’t expect this this to happen tbh (seeing kaido attcaked like this) but I find it awesome because it’s unexpected. However, I think kaido will dominate in the next chapter.
Kanjuro getting a fight when the Scabbards showed up would have been dumb. They're trying to make their way to Kaido and in the context of guarding the back door, it wouldn't have made sense for him to get the honor of a duel.

I think Kaido is a little conflicted on how much of a shit he gives. This kid obviously crossed time and should mean something, but he really doesn't so far. Killing him without knowledge of the raid was pretty insignificant. He didn't have any thunder to even steal because all he could do is try to be brave until something happened to him, one way or the other.

As far as the commanders go, I won't take any showings serious before they go into hybrid form.

Status
Not open for further replies.