One Piece Episode 1015 - Straw Hat Luffy - The Man Who Will Become the Pirate King

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 155 88.1%
  • 4/5

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • 3/5

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2/5

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
Let's agree to disagree
There's a difference between facts and opinions.
You can prefer the Whitebeard/Roger Cuts in 965/966 over any single individual scene that occured in this episode. But claiming that either of these episodes were animated better in their entirety than 1015 is simply wrong. On Sakugabooru you can see the cuts per episode.
If you want to compare the quantity of "good animation", then Episode 965 had about 1.5 minutes worth & Episode 966 had ~2:15 minutes of "good" animation.
Episode 1015 had over 17 minutes. The difference is tremendous.
Obviously the quality of the cuts matters more and we can agree/disagree about which cuts we put over another etc. like i said previously.

Sakugabooru also has a rating system for what it's worth where you can give each cut 1-3 points if you either find it good/great/amazing.
The highest rated one from 965 is the WB/Roger clash with 1070 point atm. 2nd is Roger crew vs Whitebeard crew from episode 966 with 884 points currently. 3rd is Red Roc with 845. So you could make an argument, that these other 2 cuts individually are generally more well received. On the other hand, Episode 1015 only has been out for 2 days, while the others have been out for over a year, so the score of Red Roc and all other scenes of 1015 are likely to increase as well a bit more in the coming days & weeks.
I'm a fan of statistics and metrics, so felt like i should mention that.

Big disclaimer though, we are talking here about art & animation so just because one cut has a higher rating than a different one it shouldnt be looked down upon or something like that. And comparing scores between different series is also dumb. There are some amazingly animated shows that simply are not mainstream like One Piece which is why they barely have a high score.
I would generally only compare, if at all, scores of cuts from the same show

Might have went a bit overboard with this essay but at the end of the day i just want to say:
Sakugabooru Rocks
Episode 1015 Rocks

There's a difference between facts and opinions.
You can prefer the Whitebeard/Roger Cuts in 965/966 over any single individual scene that occured in this episode. But claiming that either of these episodes were animated better in their entirety than 1015 is simply wrong. On Sakugabooru you can see the cuts per episode.
If you want to compare the quantity of "good animation", then Episode 965 had about 1.5 minutes worth & Episode 966 had ~2:15 minutes of "good" animation.
Episode 1015 had over 17 minutes. The difference is tremendous.
Obviously the quality of the cuts matters more and we can agree/disagree about which cuts we put over another etc. like i said previously.

Sakugabooru also has a rating system for what it's worth where you can give each cut 1-3 points if you either find it good/great/amazing.
The highest rated one from 965 is the WB/Roger clash with 1070 point atm. 2nd is Roger crew vs Whitebeard crew from episode 966 with 884 points currently. 3rd is Red Roc with 845. So you could make an argument, that these other 2 cuts individually are generally more well received. On the other hand, Episode 1015 only has been out for 2 days, while the others have been out for over a year, so the score of Red Roc and all other scenes of 1015 are likely to increase as well a bit more in the coming days & weeks.
I'm a fan of statistics and metrics, so felt like i should mention that.

Big disclaimer though, we are talking here about art & animation so just because one cut has a higher rating than a different one it shouldnt be looked down upon or something like that. And comparing scores between different series is also dumb. There are some amazingly animated shows that simply are not mainstream like One Piece which is why they barely have a high score.
I would generally only compare, if at all, scores of cuts from the same show

Might have went a bit overboard with this essay but at the end of the day i just want to say:
Sakugabooru Rocks
Episode 1015 Rocks
Jeez this episode is overwanked.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
Jeez this episode is overwanked.
It's not wank. You can like any episode more than another but animation quality is technical, it's not a matter of opinion on if something was animated better. This episode had the best animation of the entire series, objectively. If you didn't think it was that cool or whatever is irrelevant.

It's not wank. You can like any episode more than another but animation quality is technical, it's not a matter of opinion on if something was animated better. This episode had the best animation of the entire series, objectively. If you didn't think it was that cool or whatever is irrelevant.
It was great, but not the best animated, Katakuri vs Luffy was more impressive for example.

It was great, but not the best animated, Katakuri vs Luffy was more impressive for example.
Maybe in some areas, but overall no.

The main thing about this episode that put it in another league to 870 is just the absolutely insane consistency that lasts throughout the entire episode.

Luffy vs Katakuri is really good, but its an episode with places here and there that let it down. For example, the very beginning of the episode which is a fairly underwhelming flashback that takes a few minutes, as well as the Sanji and Pudding portion of the episode, which also takes a only a few minutes, but is noticeably less interesting.

This episode looked good the entire episode with an insane amount of character acting in pretty much every single scene. Not only that, but it was also far better in a compositing sense as well in comparison to Luffy vs Katakuri. The show before Wano generally had a pretty lifeless composite(referring to the general aesthetic), and while there are a few atmospheric moments in episode 870, I think its inarguable that 1015 makes far better use of lighting and colours to tell an effective narrative.

I think its also far more impressive when talking about just general direction. 870 had some very well boarded and executed action, but 1015 still just smothers it in that regard. While I think 870 is a very solidly directed episode, I think 1015 takes things to another level in using its medium to tell and convey a complete visual narrative that has a concrete beginning middle and end, and which utilises a ton of visual language and metaphors to create broader meaning.

Overall, while episode 870 has generally more higher quality action(because it was an action focused episode), episode 1015 is still the higher quality episode overall, because despite not possessing as much action(even the little bits of action we did get were fantastic), its consistently better on every single other front. The action scenes while fewer in number are arguably just as good or better on a technical level than what we got in episode 870, but its also in how animated everything else is generally which raises the bar for an episode like 1015 in comparison to something like 870.

Maybe in some areas, but overall no.

The main thing about this episode that put it in another league to 870 is just the absolutely insane consistency that lasts throughout the entire episode.

Luffy vs Katakuri is really good, but its an episode with places here and there that let it down. For example, the very beginning of the episode which is a fairly underwhelming flashback that takes a few minutes, as well as the Sanji and Pudding portion of the episode, which also takes a only a few minutes, but is noticeably less interesting.

This episode looked good the entire episode with an insane amount of character acting in pretty much every single scene. Not only that, but it was also far better in a compositing sense as well in comparison to Luffy vs Katakuri. The show before Wano generally had a pretty lifeless composite(referring to the general aesthetic), and while there are a few atmospheric moments in episode 870, I think its inarguable that 1015 makes far better use of lighting and colours to tell an effective narrative.

I think its also far more impressive when talking about just general direction. 870 had some very well boarded and executed action, but 1015 still just smothers it in that regard. While I think 870 is a very solidly directed episode, I think 1015 takes things to another level in using its medium to tell and convey a complete visual narrative that has a concrete beginning middle and end, and which utilises a ton of visual language and metaphors to create broader meaning.

Overall, while episode 870 has generally more higher quality action(because it was an action focused episode), episode 1015 is still the higher quality episode overall, because despite not possessing as much action(even the little bits of action we did get were fantastic), its consistently better on every single other front. The action scenes while fewer in number are arguably just as good or better on a technical level than what we got in episode 870, but its also in how animated everything else is generally which raises the bar for an episode like 1015 in comparison to something like 870.
Again, let's agree to disagree.

OP fans have created an echo chamber where they use each other for validation for everything. Manga quality, anime quality, opinions on events, etc... ZKK was a perfect example.

Don't get me wrong. I like this new director. She's very creative/original. But let's not pretend like this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Plenty of animations surpass this. And it's not like this episode had much going on animation wise other than the 1 attack in the end.