One Piece Episode 1015 - Straw Hat Luffy - The Man Who Will Become the Pirate King

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 155 88.1%
  • 4/5

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • 3/5

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2/5

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Oh boy they broke down key frame stats!! That'll totally change Marineford shitting on this arc!

Never mind that Luffy vs. 3 Admirals is the peak of One Piece in terms of emotions, story and animation. Key frame stats though!
Lmao you just sound dumb. Why do you argue so vehemently about a subject that you have no knowledge on?

At the end of the day, the source material matters. Like I said, I like this director, but there wasn't much here other Yamato and 1 attack.

Take a random non-chapter from One Piece and put all the effort you want behind it you want. It still won't be the best.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Welcome to worstgen, the place where you get insulted for having a different opinion because it isn't allowed.
Are you gonna cry for being called out on bs? No one is telling you to like the episode. People simply called you out on typing factually incorrect info.

Are you gonna cry for being called out on bs? No one is telling you to like the episode. People simply called you out on typing factually incorrect info.
I never said i dislike it, it just doesn't seem like the best one ever.
Post automatically merged:

facts dont care about your opinion
The only fact is that your opinion isn't worth more than mine and vice versa.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
why is it so hard to understand that what someone likes doesn't matter here? it's not about if you think a different episode had better content or cooler fights, animation quality is an objective, factual measure. This episode had the highest quality animation of the series. Animation isn't only fighting, it's how everything moves, and this episode was a cut above the rest, factually

I'm very concerned about 1016 action wise. I've seen no hype for it. No hype for 1018/1019 either. And all of that is supposed to be action. Tomita at the moment is truly the only one we can hope for but honestly? Tomita did like 90secs on 1010, about a minute on 1013, then he did 25 seconds on Vanitas lately as well... i wouldn't get my hopes up.

1001 has Thunder Bagua, Flame-rend by Zoro, a 2nd Attack swing by kaido where law shambles luffy, Purgatory onigiri, beheading claws by killer. That's just **9** pages. And i dont think they can go lower than that. And those 9 pages contain 5 attacks already. But obviously they have to expand on it, if they go with the usual pacing.

Which means either streeeeeetchiiiiiiiiiing ouuuuuuuut a lot with a lot of pans, or... adding extra attacks, in which case we are back at the main problem.
I do have some faith in Koyama to make it at least visually interesting direction wise, maybe doing something creative with Luffy's future sight as he dodges Thunder Bagua but I'm not sure how they've planned the animation line up. I do sort of hope this is another 971 situation where we get a bunch of free lance western animators to help out as well as the in house staff, but I'm not super confident they can manage that back to back to back.

At the very least, this set of chapters will end roughly 1019 or 1020, so we have 4 or 5 more episodes of mostly action which covers 2 and a 3 quarters of action(1003 is a bit less action oriented thankfully).

Its a prodigous task, and I'm not sure the anime is up for it. Its easily the most challenging set of chapter this arc I'd say. And it also doesn't help that a lot of the action isn't "seperatable". Its not like its panels of generic clashing, this stuff is mostly big named moves.

I'm expecting a few weaker episodes here and there, but I'm hopeful that even if the quality declines, we still get a few notable stand out scenes.

I do have some faith in Koyama to make it at least visually interesting direction wise, maybe doing something creative with Luffy's future sight as he dodges Thunder Bagua
Its a prodigous task, and I'm not sure the anime is up for it. Its easily the most challenging set of chapter this arc I'd say. And it also doesn't help that a lot of the action isn't "seperatable". Its not like its panels of generic clashing, this stuff is mostly big named moves.

I'm expecting a few weaker episodes here and there, but I'm hopeful that even if the quality declines, we still get a few notable stand out scenes.
Quite honestly, knowing that the manga has been over 40 chapters (~42) ahead, they should have planned this stretch out way well in advance to ensure every episode gets something at least. If there are truly "dead" episodes, that would be unforgivable from my end. I rather have 4-5 consistently great episodes, than 2 spectacles and 2-3 others being dead.

We can just cross fingers... also nakashima mid af.

I never said i dislike it, it just doesn't seem like the best one ever.
I think you can safely say in terms of production(which is more than just animation, and includes stuff like direction, compositing, lighting etc), it definitely stands out among every other One Piece episode. There is a reason why its production quality is being compared to One Piece movies while something like 870, which is also a fantastic episode, is not really held in the same breath despite its insane action.

I'm not saying this is the best episode content wise, I'm arguing this is the epitome for the series production wise.
Post automatically merged:

Quite honestly, knowing that the manga has been over 40 chapters (~42) ahead, they should have planned this stretch out way well in advance to ensure every episode gets something at least. If there are truly "dead" episodes, that would be unforgivable from my end. I rather have 4-5 consistently great episodes, than 2 spectacles and 2-3 others being dead.

We can just cross fingers... also nakashima mid af.
I'm hoping there aren't any "dead episodes", but I'm hoping that even the "worse off" episodes still at least have solid action scenes for the major moments even if the direction isn't the strongest.

I give Nakashima credit for being a work horse, and his storyboards do tend to have some nice idea's in them. They're pretty pedestrian, but they have more flare to them than some other storyboard artists(like modern Tokoro, who I find misses the mark direction wise more than he hits it, and Hosoda, who can have cool ideas sometimes, but I think also misses the mark and is also incredibly pedestrian).

I'm hoping there aren't any "dead episodes", but I'm hoping that even the "worse off" episodes still at least have solid action scenes for the major moments even if the direction isn't the strongest.

I give Nakashima credit for being a work horse, and his storyboards do tend to have some nice idea's in them. They're pretty pedestrian, but they have more flare to them than some other storyboard artists(like modern Tokoro, who I find misses the mark direction wise more than he hits it, and Hosoda, who can have cool ideas sometimes, but I think also misses the mark and is also incredibly pedestrian).
If they can nail the big attacks then the episode will be good. I trust koyama's direction.
If you talk about 1018... then yeah we'll have to see 1018 imo is just as hard to animate as 1002. It's spreads of dragon kaido vs Zoro which is pretty crazy content honestly. And i won't personally tolerate Zoro's big attacks vs a CG Kaido. That would ruin everything

If they can nail the big attacks then the episode will be good. I trust koyama's direction.
If you talk about 1018... then yeah we'll have to see 1018 imo is just as hard to animate as 1002. It's spreads of dragon kaido vs Zoro which is pretty crazy content honestly. And i won't personally tolerate Zoro's big attacks vs a CG Kaido. That would ruin everything
I'm fine with snippets of CGI as long as they just remain that, snippets. I don't think CGI Kaido is the most terrible thing ever in tiny doses, but a protracted scene with it wouldn't be great. Thats sort of why I generally didn't mind the tiny snippets here and there of Dragon Kaido in 1004.

I just don't want this to become the final battle in Stampede where it was just a big dumb giant cgi monster.

And I at least expect Koyama to make Kaido's attacks colourful and visually interesting even if they aren't the most well animated. I do think that Koyama does have an eye for detail that most other directors don't have.