One Piece Episode 954 - Its Name is Enma! Oden's Great Swords!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • 4/5

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • 3/5

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 2/5

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Top 3 Strongest Tobiroppo confirmed
-Who's Who
-Page One
-Sasaki
This makes sense with Oda's strong women hate and all 3 of them look stronger than Drake

All Tobiroppo ranked are probably:
Who's Who>Page One>Sasaki>Drake>Maria>Ulti
:yodaswag:
Interesting they put page one there...... but it would make sense considering On Paper Page One should be one of the strongest with that Spinosarus fruit. Plus Oda's literally been hiding Page One's abilities. often keeping page one in full zoan mode, plus Page One has yet to use an actual named attack.

Overall, yeah, that was a lovely episode.

It covered one of my favourite chapters in Wano, and absolutely delivered on the core emotional catharsis at the end of the episode with the discovery of the weapon's stock.

The episode was incredibly well directed, with a fantastic use of colour and lighting splashed throughout. From Kawamatsu being shrouded with red from killing the beast pirate stragglers, to actually preparing to end his own life, to really fun stuff such as the sort of sentai introduction of Kawamatsu as Gyukimaru which had the really nice theatric lighting to it, colour and lighting were incredibly well utilized throughout the episode, and gave each scene and location a distinct tone and atmosphere. Even simple stuff like how the basement and the cabin in the flashback had similar lighting did a good job of creating that warm atmosphere.

There were loads of really cool shots that had lots of depth, such as Kawamatsu and Hiyori walking into Ringo. The episode made sure to give the locations a real sense of scale.

I also liked the transitions. My favourites would probably be the transition that showcased Kawamatsu being hauled off to Onigashima, and Oden's flashback literally appearing through Hiyori's flowing hair. They were nice creative choices that made the episode flow nicely, while also being visually engaging.

The changing aspect ratio was also a really nice cinematic choice that sort of recalls back to samurai films which have that sort of aspect ratio to them. The episode was directed by Kohei Kureta, who is one of the series directors of One Piece currently, and was the movie director for One Piece Stampede as well as other notable episodes on the show. Overall, it was a really nice effort, that had tons of artistic and cinematic choices that I appreciated, that led to an emotionally satisfying episode that only made me become more invested in Kawamatsu and the samurai's struggle.
Director's confirmation for directing the episode

Animation wise, this was a Kazuya Hisada episode. I think the worst criticism I could really give is that some long shots could have been a bit more polished at times, but I think that's more of a nitpick than anything else. Hisada's key animation, art and layouts this episode were very strong, with him being the top creditted KA. His style is not really focused as much on fluidity as it is focused on striking key poses.

His first bit of animation that had some nice stuff to it, was Kawamatsu cutting down some more of Kaido's men. I really liked some of the really jagged effects that showcased during this scene. Hisada has noticably incredibly sharp and striking effects work that I think worked well in the context of what happened.
Kazuya Hisada

The second notable bit of animation by Kazuya Hisada was the Oden flashback to cutting Kaido. I think the main appeal of this scene again, was definitely Hisada's layouts and sharp effects works as opposed to his movement in this circumstance.
Kazuya Hisada

Probably my favourite bit of animation however, comes from the sort of theatric sentai hero scene where Kawamatsu declares himself Gyukimaru. Animated by Yoshikazu Tomita, it has a lot of really nice and timely character acting, that moves in the very sort of fluent though jittery way I've come to expect from Tomita. Its a bit strange seeing Tomita's art work without butt loads of shading, but I think the result is still nice. I think some people would say his animation becomes less bogged down when it isn't heavily shaded, even if I do sort of miss it.
Yoshikazu Tomita

Overall, great episode. A lovely bit of catharsis at the end.

Next episode looks like it will be decent enough based on the preview.

I can't help but tremple with excitment...fufu
I didn’t like Zoro’s reaction here, they make him look like a bloodthirsty killer who only cares about powerful swords. That’s uncharacteristic of him and not consistent with his reaction in the manga version, which is pretty much the opposite of that. It’s more like "whatever, as long as I have another sword in exchange". That’s how Zoro really is. He doesn’t care about how powerful Enma is, he accepts Hiyori’s offer only because he knows how much Wano people care about Shusui.

I didn’t like Zoro’s reaction here, they make him look like a bloodthirsty killer who only cares about powerful swords. That’s uncharacteristic of him and not consistent with his reaction in the manga version, which is pretty much the opposite of that. It’s more like "whatever, as long as I have another sword in exchange". That’s how Zoro really is. He doesn’t care about how powerful Enma is, he accepts Hiyori’s offer only because he knows how much Wano people care about Shusui.
Nah you just dont want accept ZKK