Do you like the Live Action Adaption?

• No, it's not a good adaption.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah gonna keep expectation in check...but anyway i am glad for any OP live action news...just think that this live action episode as a way to make OP more popular especially in west...

Its like all those millenials in their late 30's from Hollywood are angry that animes have become a huge part of pop culture, expecially with young people, and they dont control it, what makes harder for them to set the thrends on consumer behavior.

Soo they are trying to make those addaptations to again be the ones that set the thrends, but isnt working because the anime/manga media is probably Impossible to addapt to live action media.

And of course the public dont want it, the old people think anime are shit and the young people think Hollywood addaptations of anime are shit.

Last edited:
Look like the show will be trash
Post automatically merged:

Bad news xD: Netflix doing One Piece live action series from the same studio as Cowboy Bebop

I'm always an optimist, so to me it's a coin toss as to whether or not it will be good. Just wanted to comment though that the guy in the first video is just a sheep. He hadn't even read One Piece as admitted by himself, but then goes on to form an opinion on how the show is going to be, based on the comments of others.

I think a lot of people are missing the entire point of these live actions. I think it's safe to say that these kind of shows are not geared towards the anime/manga fans, as we are predispositioned into enjoying this like Manga and Anime a very specific way. Anime for the most part does not transition well into live action, we all know this. The developers, studios, mangakas, etc also all know this. So then why do they do it?

The answer is simple, it is to bring these stories to a wider range of Audience. To introduce series like One Piece and Cowboy Bebop to an audience who do not like Anime and Manga, but could possibly enjoy these stories.

I think it's pretty selfish of the Anime/Manga community as a whole to act like the intention of Netflix, and those working on these series is to butcher "OUR" stories. How dare they make that, when they know "WE" won't like it. It's not for us. It's for others who don't like what we like. It's so they can share in our enjoyment of something they've been missing out on, because it's written for a format that just doesn't vibe with them.

We as Anime/Manga fans should be happy that others get to share the same joy that we receive when reading/watching these series, that they wouldn't get to experience had it not been brought to a format that at least gives it a chance in their eyes. It's not going to have any baring on us either way, because at the end of the day, we will still have our Manga and Anime.

I'm always an optimist, so to me it's a coin toss as to whether or not it will be good. Just wanted to comment though that the guy in the first video is just a sheep. He hadn't even read One Piece as admitted by himself, but then goes on to form an opinion on how the show is going to be, based on the comments of others.

I think a lot of people are missing the entire point of these live actions. I think it's safe to say that these kind of shows are not geared towards the anime/manga fans, as we are predispositioned into enjoying this like Manga and Anime a very specific way. Anime for the most part does not transition well into live action, we all know this. The developers, studios, mangakas, etc also all know this. So then why do they do it?

The answer is simple, it is to bring these stories to a wider range of Audience. To introduce series like One Piece and Cowboy Bebop to an audience who do not like Anime and Manga, but could possibly enjoy these stories.

I think it's pretty selfish of the Anime/Manga community as a whole to act like the intention of Netflix, and those working on these series is to butcher "OUR" stories. How dare they make that, when they know "WE" won't like it. It's not for us. It's for others who don't like what we like. It's so they can share in our enjoyment of something they've been missing out on, because it's written for a format that just doesn't vibe with them.

We as Anime/Manga fans should be happy that others get to share the same joy that we receive when reading/watching these series, that they wouldn't get to experience had it not been brought to a format that at least gives it a chance in their eyes. It's not going to have any baring on us either way, because at the end of the day, we will still have our Manga and Anime.
I agree whole-heartedly. I mean, yes, it is also supposed to be hyped by fans but after all the "bad results", such as Death Note, people hate live actions because they change so many things. It really depends on the perspective.

I have a friend with whom I had watched the Death Note LA and while I didn't like it because I knew the original, she didn't think of it as bad because she didn't.

Lately I saw some teasers about Cowboy Bebop and honestly? I think the actors and shots looked pretty cool. Because I never read or watched Cowboy Bebop.

And that is what the difference is. The own perspective, whether you know it or not. It's just like when you read a book and then a movie is coming out, and your world falls apart because everything is different all of a sudden. And you dislike the movie because of it.

One Piece live action WILL be different from the manga. The jokes won't be the same. There will be changes in costume and in plot. You can't transfer manga/anime into live just as it is. They have to fix things. To transfer the core essentials however is not impossible.

Oda has an eye on it. Steven Maeda seems hyped about the project, Matt Owens, as a long time fan, who knows us as the community, knows what's up. He knows they can't mess this up. He knows the core essentials.

WE as fans can just wait and see. We shouldn't feel as focused on what's already there but what can be done with it. This is a big project. And most people don't see it as a success even though we have barely seen anything of it yet. Take a step back, sit down, drink a tea, and wait. Stop thinking with a manga-occupied-mind. Stop thinking about how it will be different from the original. Give it a chance, as a new way of telling the story. We don't even know anything yet.

because "our" story is likely the author's vision. We read the manga, the purest form of Oda's story.

Just look at how the author of Cowboy Bepop distanced himself from the netflix adaptation, he knew it would be a shitshow

because "our" story is likely the author's vision. We read the manga, the purest form of Oda's story.

Just look at how the author of Cowboy Bepop distanced himself from the netflix adaptation, he knew it would be a shitshow
Is cowboy bepop is really shitshow tho? Never see that series

Haven't really been keeping up with the Cowboy Bebop live action development.

And I get that some of these studios take these works and transform them into something completely different than what the Author intended, and that is an issue. But there is a difference in transforming a series to fit the live action format, and completely transforming the core of the Story. When the studio takes their creative liberties too far, and start removing key characters, and changing major plot points, then in those instances, backlash is 100 percent warranted.

Look at Game of Thrones. It was amazing when Martin was involved, and those guys used his input while creating the series. When D & D decided they could seemingly do it better, and began ignoring what Martin's vision was, the show took a major tank. But a lot of that is on Martin as well for signing a contract that allowed these guys to do whatever they wanted.

From what we know about the One Piece series, is that Oda is heavily involved, and flat out said that if it doesn't meet his expectations, he's not going to allow for it to move forward. He's not just letting them do whatever they want. That is how these Authors should be when signing over the rights to these studios for them to make a live action.

Last edited:
From what we know about the One Piece series, is that Oda is heavily involved, and flat out said that if it doesn't meet his expectations, he's not going to allow for it to move forward. He's not just letting them do whatever they want. That is how these Authors should be when signing over the rights to these studios for them to make a live action.
Right. From what we know is that they will try their best to stick to its core essentials and it won't be a disaster like Death Note for example, where the core essentials, personality of character and culture where completely changed.

It was american instead of japanese.
Instead of Light being a top student, he was an outsider who did homework for others.
He fell in love, something he didn't in the original where he used Misa as tool.
He was scared of Ryuk upon first meeting instead of being cool.
L was a black dude that needed lullabies to fall asleep (don't know where they got that from).

Just a few examples to name. But One Piece will not be an americanized version. It will not change into a completely different story. Comparing these two doesn't make any sense at that point. Oda is involved and he will make sure that this story will meet his expectation. One Piece is his life work and one of the grandest things he can achieve is having a high-budget live adaptation that showcases the actual story. And Matt Owens, as a fan in our midst knows what's up too.

I am not saying it will be *super duper mega amazing* but I am sure it won't be shit. If they can pull of a Davy Jones in 2006 Pirates of the Carribean with CGI, they can do the same with fishmen. If they can make superpowers in Marvel and DC, they can do that in OP too. Sure, the budget might not be the same but with a couple tricks it should look good enough.