Do you like the Live Action Adaption?

• No, it's not a good adaption.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You guys think there's a way to adapt OP for a good live-action?

Pehaps the first part of East Blue could be good, as the enemies until Arlong are all humans with a more "normal" size, but as the series go on the world become more crazy with most of the character design, powers and the world visuals working only in comics, as they dont have the limitations of real world.

The aesthetics of OP are very dependend of the manga language, as Oda like to exagerated everything in his world and have a very unique look, even for the manga standarts.

I personaly think the series will be cringe to wach like The Witcher and Death Note, that are less hard to adapt, and even so Netflix failed.
I dont believe The Witcher is a fail.

Pehaps the first part of East Blue could be good, as the enemies until Arlong are all humans with a more "normal" size, but as the series go on the world become more crazy with most of the character design, powers and the world visuals working only in comics, as they dont have the limitations of real world.

The aesthetics of OP are very dependend of the manga language, as Oda like to exagerated everything in his world and have a very unique look, even for the manga standarts.

I personaly think the series will be cringe to wach like The Witcher and Death Note, that are less hard to adapt, and even so Netflix failed.
It is true that it is difficult to adapt the manga world to the real world, judging by aspects like size, design, powers and fighting. East Blue is pretty humane still and I wonder how they would manage other seasons as well.

I do agree tho with
I dont believe The Witcher is a fail.
I didn't read the books, I only played Witcher 3 a bit, but it is good and you definitely understand it better after watching it twice or even thrice to understand the universe and story. There were indeed some bad things in it but it us worth to watch it.

Death Note was absolute shit and too far from the original. They americanized the whole thing to such extent and made it a main stream thing which ruined it

One thing they should definitely do is release the episodes weekly. Get new fans in and speculating over what's going to happen in the future. Sure, fans like us will already know, but this should be aiming to get a much wider viewer base.

Comparisons to Game of Thrones in marketing should be avoided as much as humanely possible. One, GoT was shit at the end. Two, it's a totally different type of series and should be aimed at a younger audience. This could- not saying it will, but it could- be the Star Wars/Harry Potter/LotR/MCU of the '20s. If they put the effort in. Course, they're films, not tv series. One Piece is meant to be having money thrown at it, but not that much money.

If stuff like the CW DC tv shows (no disrespect to any of their fans, but I'd sure as hell hope OP can be a hell of a lot better than them) can run for the amount of time they have, I'd hope that One Piece can blow them out of the water.

One Piece has massive potential, if done right. I don't expect that they follow the original story a 100%, that isn't even possible, but it should still be the same story with the same main factors. And the script so far looked good to me (if it is the one being used in the end).

One thing they should definitely do is release the episodes weekly. Get new fans in and speculating over what's going to happen in the future. Sure, fans like us will already know, but this should be aiming to get a much wider viewer base.
That would be cool, but then it really needs to be built up with good cliffhangers etc. The script here ended with Luffy going to Shellstown and Zoro struggling on the cross so that would be a good start. It would raise the question, how would they meet? Will they become friends or enemies? What's with Helmeppo and Captain Morgan? What role will they play?

I would love though if it would all be released at once so that I can watch an episode a day like I did with Witcher...

S

stealthblack

Op îs way too Silly to work as live action. The only way i see IT work îs If they only take the names and IT will look Like black sails tv show or pirates of caribbean movies.

The only thing that I'm truly worried about is how luffy's stretched up body parts will look. I can't possibly think of a way to make them look good. I feel like Mr. Fantastic made that part clear. But changing his powers would lead to a riot in the community for sure.

Adelstien Said " We were supposed to start filming in August in Cape Town, South Africa. We anticipate the date being able to film [now is] September, at the latest," Adelstein said. "We have basically all 10 scripts written. We will start casting when we go back. My suspicion is June 1, but we will start doing our casting. We have a lot of names that we’re talking about, and we should be in production in September. We have been working very closely with Sensei Oda. So, we’re going to get started, and this one is very big. I mean, Snowpiercer was a big production; this is even bigger. "

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-marty-adelstein-updates-cowboy-bebop-one-piece-series

Adelstien Said " We were supposed to start filming in August in Cape Town, South Africa. We anticipate the date being able to film [now is] September, at the latest," Adelstein said. "We have basically all 10 scripts written. We will start casting when we go back. My suspicion is June 1, but we will start doing our casting. We have a lot of names that we’re talking about, and we should be in production in September. We have been working very closely with Sensei Oda. So, we’re going to get started, and this one is very big. I mean, Snowpiercer was a big production; this is even bigger. "

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-marty-adelstein-updates-cowboy-bebop-one-piece-series
Snowpiecer was shit.

so what is leaked is the first one for episode 1

first episode (ch 1-2)

9 episodes left

i don't think they will adapt all the EB in one season
maybe the first season will end at the end of Baratie Arc ch 68
The first episode has a lot of background information to make it more solid as a plot. There's more to Rogers execution, we get more information about characters and groups from the start.

I think the following episodes will have a lot more chapters in one episode and less fillered. Also they will probably change some plots to make it flow better for the viewers.

It would definitely be the coolest if the arc ends with them moving towards the Grandline or even entering it though

so what is leaked is the first one for episode 1

first episode (ch 1-2)

9 episodes left

i don't think they will adapt all the EB in one season
maybe the first season will end at the end of Baratie Arc ch 68
Live action usualy have fast pace. So it is possible to adapt the entire EB for 12 episode. I think it will be 1 half hour per episode.

You guys are being way too optimistic about this live action adaptation.... It’s a good script sure but the casting choices and the direction of the adaption have yet to be seen. There’s also the problem of adapting a surreal world like the One Piece world without diving into the uncanny valley...

I do not want an entire arc about the Arlong Pirates being nightmare fuel that detours casual viewers from One Piece as a whole and sets the series back in the West for another decade.

You guys are being way too optimistic about this live action adaptation.... It’s a good script sure but the casting choices and the direction of the adaption have yet to be seen. There’s also the problem of adapting a surreal world like the One Piece world without diving into the uncanny valley...

I do not want an entire arc about the Arlong Pirates being nightmare fuel that detours casual viewers from One Piece as a whole and sets the series back in the West for another decade.
Sure but we all just hope that (one of) our favorite manga series will get an adaptation that is actually a success, especially when knowing OP is huge and successful in itself as a franchise and should have the budget to make it decent.

There's of course always the chance they'll fuck it up but for now let's be hopeful and optimistic and so far news have been allover great.

That's right.

Here you have a summary of all we know about the series so far.
  • Production:
    • Tomorrow Studios (Production House) and Netflix (Streaming Rights) are producing the show together.
    • Tomorrow Studios is led by Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements.
    • Steven Maeda is the show runner (the guy calling the shots).
    • Matt Owens is the head writer (the guy who probably wrote the pilot and will control a room of 13 writers).
    • Steven, Matt, Marty, Becky, and Oda Sensei, therefore, make up the three executive producers (which implies, they share a fairly balanced power structure, they will be the ones making final creative decisions).
    • Steven Maeda, Matt Owens, Oda-Sensei, Diego Gutierrez, Allison Weintraub, Ian Stokes, Lindsay Gelfand, Laura Jacqmin, Jason Cho, Damani Johnson, Tom Hyndman, Damani O, Allen Dewey Wier IV, and Caty Zick make up a very diverse room of 13/14 writers (Oda is probably a consultant writer as opposed to a writer inside the writer's room).
    • Quite a few of these writers including Matt Owens, have worked on MCU shows like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Defenders, Agents of Shield. Matt Owens has also been hired to write a new Star Wars movie. And Steven has worked on infamous shows like X-Files, and LOST. And Marty and Becky have recently produced TV Series for the film Snowpiercer, collaborating with Bong Joon-Ho. Not to mention, Oda is heavily involved with the production. All in all, the creative heads behind One Piece Live Series carry a lot of clout.
    • Eddie Bonin (from Netflix) has reportedly been hired as the Visual Effects Executive.

• Studio/Location/Shooting:
    • The show will be filmed in Cape Town, South Africa, most likely at the Cape Town Film Studios. The Studio has been home to various extravagant shows/movies including Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), Tomb Raider (2018). Check out the link, you will be impressed!
    • The Location also boasts plenty of breathtaking landscapes and is home to a beautiful Caribbean-esque look.
    • The Shooting was supposed to start this August but due to COVID crisis the potenial start has been pushed to September. The shooting will most likely begin before the end of the year which projects a release date of mid or late 2021.
    • The production house (which is Tomorrow Studios and not Netflix) is reportedly dumping a fuck ton of money on this project. A speculated of GoT level budget per episode (which rounds to about 6-15 million dollars per episode).

• Casting:
    • Unfortunately there have been no confirmed cast members so far, however, Marty Adelstein has confirmed that the cast news may be our way sooner rather than later (Casting is said to start by June 1 2020).
    • There are, however, two speculated casting choices. One for Zoro and one for Usopp.
    • Lewis Tan has reportedly displayed interest in playing the character, and judging by his profile and background it seems likely that he is at the very least being considered for the role. Here's a link to a cool sword play video he did, ta-da.
    • For Usopp, a fairly new actor named Burge has in most likely hood auditioned for this role. You can see some cool ass sniper skills on his instagram. Watching his Instagram, either he has already been cast as Usopp or he is just playing an elaborate game of fake fame which is gonna die as soon as official news come out, and that would be stupid of him lol.
    • Marty Adelstein has come out and said that previous anime adaptations have been heavily criticized and to meet fans expectations, one of the things they are focusing heavily on is a diverse cast (which can be seen from Cowboy Bepbop Cast, also been produced by Tomorrow Studios and Netflix).
    • And the official twitter page of One Piece Live Action has been heavily implying a cast that might look very similar to country associations Oda has given us.

• About the Series:
    • First season will officially have 10 episodes, hour long each. And all the ten scripts have already been written. The writing phase of the production has been completed.
    • The story is most definitely beginning from the very start.
    • Marty Adelstein has also said that with a story like One Piece, TV series makes a lot more sense than a movie, as it has to offer years worth of production. Implying a story that will follow very closely to canon material.
    • Even for Cowboy Bepbop, original music composer, Yoko Kanno, will be doing the music. So we can expect similar things for One Piece. Edit: the original article has redacted the Cowboy Bebpop and Yoko Kanno statement!
    • Everyone involved in the project so far refer to Eiichiro Oda as Oda Sensei and that is all I need. The production is nothing like any previous anime adaptation. And that gives me hope.

• The Juicy Stuff (Leaked Script):
    • Okay, here's what happened. Just a couple of days ago the Pilot Script (A July 2019 Draft) was leaked. Within 24-26 hours, Netflix copystriked the source of the leak and hence, took down the script. Here's what you need to know. I have read the script (my credentials: a recent film and theatre studies graduate) and, in my opinion, the script is 99% real. The script is oozing professionalism and talent (not just any fan with a knack for writing would know TV writing format with such precision) of coure given the date of draft, a lot had to be polished and over 13 more people would have looked at it later but someone did not write this script as a prank. Judging by the flow, the dialogue was still in its early phase.
    • I will give an overview of things this supposed pilot script had. If you do not want to get spoiled do not read the next section. And if you want to read the script, dm me!

• Thoughts on Leaked Script:
    • Matt Owens has efficiently translated the grit, the tone, and the humour of One Piece, as best as possible to Live Action Format.
    • From the very beginning of the script, they are already using the advantage of knowing the whole story before hand. Kong and Sengoku share a brief exchange right before executing Roger. Five Elders and Garp are also mentioned.
    • We also see Young Smoker making an eye contact with Roger before he gets up to the stand. We also see a shadow of a mysterious figure, most likely Shanks or Dragon.
    • From here on, the story follows almost panel to panel with Shanks and the bar scenes. All the scenes with Coby and Alvida are also kept in close proximity to manga events.
    • Some additions have been introducing Baroque Works through Mr. 7 as the agent who gets killed by Zoro (a revelation we got during Zoro's fight with Mr. 1). Zoro is also given scenes setting him up in Shells Town.
    • The script has captured insane details such as, referring to Morgans base as 153rd, something only revealed in an early SBS. Don Krieg, Arlong are also mentioned while introducing the navy base to set up the future episodes.
    • For the most part, I really enjoyed reading the script and I could see the show playing out in front of my eyes. All in all, the script is solid and if executed by a good director, the pilot itself could be outstanding.

Last edited:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️

If they go the route of animating the crew like the Flying Dutchman crew from Pirates of the Caribbean, I don't see it being that bad