Powers & Abilities Power Creep and Story Inconsistencies

Yes, it is eventually how it stands.

Oda apparently pulled off a new Enies Lobby scenario, granting power ups that were formerly unexpected. For example Luffy blitzing Kaido which was the last straw when we consider that the Udon training should not have served much that wise.
Luffy didn't blitz kaido. Kaido just doesn't dodge attacks and he thought luffy cant hurt him.
Post automatically merged:

Anyone really claiming that OP is the greatest manga (at least in terms of storywriting) has probably only read 3 or 4 manga series in their life.

OP is a great shonen manga of course, but there are a lot of manga series, that have superior writing. Some might not be as enjoyable/funny/action-based, but that doesn't mean that they're not better written in terms of pacing, character development, inner-manga logic, arc structures etc.

Just take the OP formula and you'll see that it's as basic/repetitive as it gets:

1) SHs reach a new island
2) SHs meet local hero (most of the times a young female)
3) SHs learn about the problems of the people on the island.
4) First confrontation with the villains.
5) SHs get defeated in some kind of way.
6) Flashback of the local hero/story of the island.
7) Second matchup with the villains.
8) SHs win.
9) Banquet and SHs sail to the next island.

90% of the OP arcs are structured more or less like that. That's fine for a shonen of course, but it's so far away from being the "best written manga", it's not really worth discussing, really.
OP is not the best written manga. Far from it actually. But battle shonen are written so bad that only FMAB, HxH , JoJo and One Piece are at the top.

Yep, big power creep.

Kid struggled against Snack and Katakuri arguably low-diffed Luffy. Some little training and now King and Queen aren't even a threat? Doesn't make sense.

Logically, current Luffy should be equal to Katakuri which are still fodder to Yonkous. And yet Luffy is about to defeat one.
You shouldn't take training arcs in one piece lightly. Pre time skip there was no training and they just improved in strength from arc to arc. With 2 weeks of training which oda emphasized on a lot + future sight, barrier haki and internal haki, luffy is leagues above katakuri.

Last edited:
Anyone really claiming that OP is the greatest manga (at least in terms of storywriting) has probably only read 3 or 4 manga series in their life.

OP is a great shonen manga of course, but there are a lot of manga series, that have superior writing. Some might not be as enjoyable/funny/action-based, but that doesn't mean that they're not better written in terms of pacing, character development, inner-manga logic, arc structures etc.

Just take the OP formula and you'll see that it's as basic/repetitive as it gets:

1) SHs reach a new island
2) SHs meet local hero (most of the times a young female)
3) SHs learn about the problems of the people on the island.
4) First confrontation with the villains.
5) SHs get defeated in some kind of way.
6) Flashback of the local hero/story of the island.
7) Second matchup with the villains.
8) SHs win.
9) Banquet and SHs sail to the next island.

90% of the OP arcs are structured more or less like that. That's fine for a shonen of course, but it's so far away from being the "best written manga", it's not really worth discussing, really.
Any manga if it lasts more than 1000 chapters, I believe it will get bad and no longer be called good, I believe berseck or hxh if it gets to chapter 500 will be bad, one piece still does alright despite its length, I believe that's something no manga can do.

think EoS will have at least 5 characters with planetary level
Two of them are Luffy and Imu
There's no reason for luffy to be planatery at EoS. The biggest DC feat needed is the destruction of the redline and an ancient weapon might do that.
IMU might be a fodder. And Oda is unlikely to go the Toriko, naruto, bleach route.

Not necessarily, but "no variety/same arc structure over and over again" equals "not actually innovative or great writing".
I don't see any other way one piece could he written. They move to islands, learn about the history and people and free them from oppression. That's what is expected and I don't see any writer doing it in a different way

Which long series do you consider it > One Piece?
If we go into seinen territory the list gets very long, but even in the shonen department I actually rate the writing of HxH, Jojo and SnK higher.

Doesn't mean that I enjoy those series more btw. I enjoy reading OP more than I enjoy reading SnK for example. I still think the latter is slightly better written in a lot of aspects.

Not necessarily, but "no variety/same arc structure over and over again" equals "not actually innovative or great writing".
Sure, one aspect of it, but you are simplifying things, unless you are saying that´s the most decisive factor for you, if so, fair enough.
The fact that One Piece has repetitive catalysts for arcs is pretty widely known (Nami betrays the crew and leaves -> Arlong Park, Robin betrays the crew and leaves -> Enies Lobby, Sanji sort of betrays the crew and leaves -> WCI).
Or the crews gets divided is another aspect.
But structure is also not content and vice versa.
The term "writing" is such a broad term that it practically means nothing if you do not concretize things.

To your point that you mentioned in your previous post, i actually read a lot of mangas, and also watched movies/tv shows (books not so much, which i want to change, especially "the classics"), and i have read a lot of mangas that do certain things much better than One Piece, no argument there.
In turn, OP also does things a lot better or even among the best that others do not do, and those are usually the aspects that draw me into the manga even at this point and those aspects are also a part of "writing".
So that´s why i asked.

I don't see any other way one piece could he written. They move to islands, learn about the history and people and free them from oppression. That's what is expected and I don't see any writer doing it in a different way
There are hundreds of other options how you could write a pirate story, that's about finding a legendary treasure, differently and with more variety.

If we go into seinen territory the list gets very long, but even in the shonen department I actually rate the writing of HxH, Jojo and SnK higher.

Doesn't mean that I enjoy those series more btw. I enjoy reading OP more than I enjoy reading SnK for example. I still think the latter is slightly better written in a lot of aspects.
SNK isn't a battle shonen.

Has he finally caught the guys in black?
Answer in spoilers if you can please.
Have not read or watched anything regarding Conan since i was a kid, and even the TV show at that point had a lot of episodes running on German TV.
Nope, not yet but

they are close to know about the second in command, and there are some hints regarding the main boss here and there

but give it a read, there are so many interesting cases and cases with main story are damn good.....

It was never about innovative. I dont think thats something One Piece ever was

His writing is admittedly great when it comes to foreshadowing and worldbuilding. When anyone say One Piece has great writing, they are always refering to those two aspects of the series lol.

J

Jo_Ndule

One Piece isn't a battle manga
When will people here understand that?
:beckmoji: stop the lies

OP is a battle manga that focuses on Adventure
Which manga which starts with a battle, has battles the whole pre ts and the whole NW is about making luffy stronger by having extreme battles

Just to be "not a battle manga"

In fact, NW has been more about battles and fighting Emperors than adventure