Speculations Shanks is not who we think he is.

G

Gorosei Informer

Lmao thats nutty that even in that encounter, we learned nothing:josad:
Lmaooooo true! I was really looking forward to seeing Kidds previous encounter with the RHP and how he lost his arm and who to, especially since he didn't even get to see Shanks that time.

I was also really looking forward to a dialogue with Kidd and Shanks where the former is arrogant, hot headed, bitter and especially gunning to kill Shanks now (as usual but more so) and Shanks humbling him, especially with pure haki like Gildarts did to Natsu too.

Would have been a great interaction to see their values and personalities clash but Loda sigh.
Blackbeard being so dismissive of taking Law's fruit especially given its extreme value, utility, power etc was extremely annoying too.

The only things I like about the Shanks and Kidd encounter is Dorry and Broggy showing up and doing their combo attack again, Shanks looking amazing as usual now and having FS confirmed as well as Rogers signature technique and Oda paying off on the decades of waiting to see Shanks snap after hearing he has the most unstoppable, terrifying wrath and power when angered and thus also when his friends are hurt or threatened or w/e.

I really adore that aspect of Shanks even though I wanted him to be more of a pragmatic, anti-hero type character (which he still is somewhat ofc)or even a designated or even possibly deliberate villain too.

Getting to see him do a named attack and fighting was absolutely peak despite it not being a new attack unique to him and especially who he used it on and its fatal consequences literally.

:risitameh::ihaha::saden::risiup:

Even though I slander him a lot now, I still love Shanks a lot and he's one of my OG faves and reasons why I loved and got into OP too.
I actually wished/wanted to be more like him especially, just like Kakashi or Isshin Kurosaki for example, I adore these type if characters.

The only other thing I could criticise about Shanks is I want to see more of thar ruthless side from him and his crew like we did in the beginning, where they use guns when necessary only and thus will execute someone to make a point/as necessary only again too.
I expected a moment like this with him and Kidd somehow too, especially given Kidd was targeting and killing others, crucifying them too literally ofc.
But then again we did get that with Kidd stupidly trying to wipe out Shanks allies, who we know were extremely weak/vulnerable and thus cared for and protected by Shanks and Shanks saw their brutal deaths via FS and he took down Kidd immediately with no mercy but in a more hands on, direct, destructive way himself too ofc.

Another thing I really like is that despite having the power to easily obliterate the Victoria Punk, Kidds ship, (we even saw him casually wrecking parts of Whitebeards Moby Di-er ship with seemingly nonchalant haki flexing too), he just focused his haki and strength to only target Kidd and his weapon and crew, only targeting what was necessary again and sparing the ship even though a haki god like him should have easily and immediately nuked it instead.

Shanks has that sort of ironic take on the gentle giant trope, where he's a titan in the story except in size and he stands equal with literal titans/giants, being seen as a hero, close friend, great man etc by actusl giants but also standing equal if not even superior to the strongest pirates alive and even history depending, despite being only an "ordinary human", missing an arm, not some kind of freak of nature durability and strength wise like Big Mom especially nor no devil fruit, especially an extremely OP one too.
In a way Shanks is like the Hercules, Achilles, Leonidas or whoever of the giants, their hero who us like an ant compared to them but immensely respect, adore and admire him regardless.

It's such great writing/characterisation.

I don't blame Shanks for what happened to Kidd despite all my "ironic" meming and slander of him now (I slander Mihawk another absolute OG goat and one of my most fave characters a lot now too) l, I just blame Oda as he's the author and its his bad decision making and fault if anything lmao.

I really liked the Shanks vs Kidd dynamic and if Shanks is really related to Garling and thus maybe his son (Garling apparently another so called hero of the gods valley incident too), then that not only makes Shanks an even more nuanced, complex, compelling and gray type character but since Kidd is n anarchist/"Punk" and openly despises the WG, especially the Celestials as his speech from his intro at Sabaody revealed, then this could have played amazingly well into the Shanks vs Kidd dynamic.

I still have faith Kidd will return and either face against Shanks and contribute to his defeat (not a death though) of Shanks OR he will return and learn of Shanks having Celestial heritage somehow potentially and discover not all Celestials are scum and also Shanks is more if a good, honourable and benevolent person than he realise and that Kidd and Shanks have more in common too than they realise beyond their hilariously, coincidental, matching aesthetic features.
Kidd really cares for his crew and friends immensely and is ride or die, Shanks is very similar at least so under different circumstances or if they got to know each other better, they might actually grow to respect one another and maybe Shanks could even mentor Kidd, help him train and compensate for his lack of haki prowess, his major weakness, help him to learn to fight without a DF and just 1 arm better too and so on.
I've actually written multiple scenarios (well via AI I mean) of Kidd and Shanks and Shanks could at least play a similar role to Kidd like Kaido did to Luffy and Mihawk to Zoro and help Kidd to get stronger and accomplish something they both want too (assuming they both want to take down the WG at least. I feel Shanks is trying to do it in his own enigmatic, pragmatic, chess master type way too).

Typed a MONSTROUS essay as usual lmaoooo sorry but yeah that encounter was frustrating as hell for different reasons @Paperchampion23 .

At least we learned more about Shanks with Film Red but holy hell was that film a shameless bait too in some ways. Still glad for parts of it though like Shanks amd his crew getting wank, screen time, characterisation and some canon info as well a lot of misleading non canon info revealed frustratingly.

You, @ArturCantSpeakJapanese and MarcoTheOPTheorist have my favourite ideas and theories about Shanks by far too. Even if they're not gonna be true potentially, the amount of detail, thought, effort and interesting characterisation and "lore" they give for him is really something else too.
I really adore reading these kind of bond, character redefining theories, that make you see, know and thus understand them differently or better/more too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmaooooo true! I was really looking forward to seeing Kidds previous encounter with the RHP and how he lost his arm and who to, especially since he didn't even get to see Shanks that time.

I was also really looking forward to a dialogue with Kidd and Shanks where the former is arrogant, hot headed, bitter and especially gunning to kill Shanks now (as usual but more so) and Shanks humbling him, especially with pure haki like Gildarts did to Natsu too.

Would have been a great interaction to see their values and personalities clash but Loda sigh.
Blackbeard being so dismissive of taking Law's fruit especially given its extreme value, utility, power etc was extremely annoying too.

The only things I like about the Shanks and Kidd encounter is Dorry and Broggy showing up and doing their combo attack again, Shanks looking amazing as usual now and having FS confirmed as well as Rogers signature technique and Oda paying off on the decades of waiting to see Shanks snap after hearing he has the most unstoppable, terrifying wrath and power when angered and thus also when his friends are hurt or threatened or w/e.

I really adore that aspect of Shanks even though I wanted him to be more of a pragmatic, anti-hero type character (which he still is somewhat ofc)or even a designated or even possibly deliberate villain too.

Getting to see him do a named attack and fighting was absolutely peak despite it not being a new attack unique to him and especially who he used it on and its fatal consequences literally.

:risitameh::ihaha::saden::risiup:

Even though I slander him a lot now, I still love Shanks a lot and he's one of my OG faves and reasons why I loved and got into OP too.
I actually wished/wanted to be more like him especially, just like Kakashi or Isshin Kurosaki for example, I adore these type if characters.

The only other thing I could criticise about Shanks is I want to see more of thar ruthless side from him and his crew like we did in the beginning, where they use guns when necessary only and thus will execute someone to make a point/as necessary only again too.
I expected a moment like this with him and Kidd somehow too, especially given Kidd was targeting and killing others, crucifying them too literally ofc.
But then again we did get that with Kidd stupidly trying to wipe out Shanks allies, who we know were extremely weak/vulnerable and thus cared for and protected by Shanks and Shanks saw their brutal deaths via FS and he took down Kidd immediately with no mercy but in a more hands on, direct, destructive way himself too ofc.

Another thing I really like is that despite having the power to easily obliterate the Victoria Punk, Kidds ship, (we even saw him casually wrecking parts of Whitebeards Moby Di-er ship with seemingly nonchalant haki flexing too), he just focused his haki and strength to only target Kidd and his weapon and crew, only targeting what was necessary again and sparing the ship even though a haki god like him should have easily and immediately nuked it instead.

Shanks has that sort of ironic take on the gentle giant trope, where he's a titan in the story except in size and he stands equal with literal titans/giants, being seen as a hero, close friend, great man etc by actusl giants but also standing equal if not even superior to the strongest pirates alive and even history depending, despite being only an "ordinary human", missing an arm, not some kind of freak of nature durability and strength wise like Big Mom especially nor no devil fruit, especially an extremely OP one too.
In a way Shanks is like the Hercules, Achilles, Leonidas or whoever of the giants, their hero who us like an ant compared to them but immensely respect, adore and admire him regardless.

It's such great writing/characterisation.

I don't blame Shanks for what happened to Kidd despite all my "ironic" meming and slander of him now (I slander Mihawk another absolute OG goat and one of my most fave characters a lot now too) l, I just blame Oda as he's the author and its his bad decision making and fault if anything lmao.

I really liked the Shanks vs Kidd dynamic and if Shanks is really related to Garling and thus maybe his son (Garling apparently another so called hero of the gods valley incident too), then that not only makes Shanks an even more nuanced, complex, compelling and gray type character but since Kidd is n anarchist/"Punk" and openly despises the WG, especially the Celestials as his speech from his intro at Sabaody revealed, then this could have played amazingly well into the Shanks vs Kidd dynamic.

I still have faith Kidd will return and either face against Shanks and contribute to his defeat (not a death though) of Shanks OR he will return and learn of Shanks having Celestial heritage somehow potentially and discover not all Celestials are scum and also Shanks is more if a good, honourable and benevolent person than he realise and that Kidd and Shanks have more in common too than they realise beyond their hilariously, coincidental, matching aesthetic features.
Kidd really cares for his crew and friends immensely and is ride or die, Shanks is very similar at least so under different circumstances or if they got to know each other better, they might actually grow to respect one another and maybe Shanks could even mentor Kidd, help him train and compensate for his lack of haki prowess, his major weakness, help him to learn to fight without a DF and just 1 arm better too and so on.
I've actually written multiple scenarios (well via AI I mean) of Kidd and Shanks and Shanks could at least play a similar role to Kidd like Kaido did to Luffy and Mihawk to Zoro and help Kidd to get stronger and accomplish something they both want too (assuming they both want to take down the WG at least. I feel Shanks is trying to do it in his own enigmatic, pragmatic, chess master type way too).

Typed a MONSTROUS essay as usual lmaoooo sorry but yeah that encounter was frustrating as hell for different reasons @Paperchampion23 .

At least we learned more about Shanks with Film Red but holy hell was that film a shameless bait too in some ways. Still glad for parts of it though like Shanks amd his crew getting wank, screen time, characterisation and some canon info as well a lot of misleading non canon info revealed frustratingly.

You, @ArturCantSpeakJapanese and MarcoTheOPTheorist have my favourite ideas and theories about Shanks by far too. Even if they're not gonna be true potentially, the amount of detail, thought, effort and interesting characterisation and "lore" they give for him is really something else too.
I really adore reading these kind of bond, character redefining theories, that make you see, know and thus understand them differently or better/more too.
Honestly this was a great read, thanks!

G

Gorosei Informer

Honestly this was a great read, thanks!
Aye tyvm, that means a lot! I'm honoured! Glad you read it all and I was worried if it was a decent post/read or not so thank you again!

Overall, Shanks has some of the most interesting theories by far at least, given how little we know about him, his enigmatic personality and controversial actions, hes such a fascinating character and has immense potential, I really can't wait for more spotlight on him and his designated arc at least. Although hes probably gonna be a major player right to the end, like he has been from the beginning ofc! Through Luffy alone for example, hes always relevant and impactful by far too!

If One Piece had its own Multiverse going on, I'd LOVE for this to be one of the versions of Shanks at least. I love seeing different interpretations of characters from other universes/dimensions and all these what if scenarios, the hypotheticals.

It still drives me CRAZY that Oda has Shanks depicted in the same manner as Apoo and Kanjuro on cover pages/colour spreads and such and we still DONT know WHO HE was talking to the Gorosei about! If it were anyone we know about, especially Luffy, Blackbeard or even Buggy or Mihawk (more of a meme than anything ofc with those 2), then just WHO was Shanks talking about and is it to do with his true motivations/allegiances/grand plans/personal demons or w/e?

The stuff you pointed out in your original post here, as well as u/dfd200 and Artur is absolutely insane, mind boggling and though provoking, its a complete gamechanger and I genuinely think Shanks is gonna do something to turn the OP world upside down, like Roger and Whitebeard did too. I have no idea what it is but I CANT wait to see what he does!

I'm very rarely excited for a character anymore as I am for Shanks! Similar vibes to Urahara from Bleach, Tobi from Naruto, Gildarts from Fairy Tail (GEE WHAT A COINCIDENCE LMAO) and Buddha in Record of Ragnarok, who kinda reminds me of Shanks a little as well as some other characters from there do too.

This is that MarcoOPTheorist theory I mentioned before too, its a fantastic theory and watch too! (That Rurouni Kenshin music ftw as always too!):

:zosmug::cheers::endthis::myman::neesama::finally:

Aye tyvm, that means a lot! I'm honoured! Glad you read it all and I was worried if it was a decent post/read or not so thank you again!

Overall, Shanks has some of the most interesting theories by far at least, given how little we know about him, his enigmatic personality and controversial actions, hes such a fascinating character and has immense potential, I really can't wait for more spotlight on him and his designated arc at least. Although hes probably gonna be a major player right to the end, like he has been from the beginning ofc! Through Luffy alone for example, hes always relevant and impactful by far too!

If One Piece had its own Multiverse going on, I'd LOVE for this to be one of the versions of Shanks at least. I love seeing different interpretations of characters from other universes/dimensions and all these what if scenarios, the hypotheticals.

It still drives me CRAZY that Oda has Shanks depicted in the same manner as Apoo and Kanjuro on cover pages/colour spreads and such and we still DONT know WHO HE was talking to the Gorosei about! If it were anyone we know about, especially Luffy, Blackbeard or even Buggy or Mihawk (more of a meme than anything ofc with those 2), then just WHO was Shanks talking about and is it to do with his true motivations/allegiances/grand plans/personal demons or w/e?

The stuff you pointed out in your original post here, as well as u/dfd200 and Artur is absolutely insane, mind boggling and though provoking, its a complete gamechanger and I genuinely think Shanks is gonna do something to turn the OP world upside down, like Roger and Whitebeard did too. I have no idea what it is but I CANT wait to see what he does!

I'm very rarely excited for a character anymore as I am for Shanks! Similar vibes to Urahara from Bleach, Tobi from Naruto, Gildarts from Fairy Tail (GEE WHAT A COINCIDENCE LMAO) and Buddha in Record of Ragnarok, who kinda reminds me of Shanks a little as well as some other characters from there do too.

This is that MarcoOPTheorist theory I mentioned before too, its a fantastic theory and watch too! (That Rurouni Kenshin music ftw as always too!):

Agreed! Its seriously just a vibe I have this character, just a very strong feeling that there is way more to his persona than he lets on and honestly im game for whatever it is

Funny enough, Marco's theory about God Valley may honestly align with what I have here: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/forum/threads/god-valley-is-the-ancient-weapon-uranus.43674/

Less that Luffy would go to West Blue, but that God Valley may actually come to Luffy.....

Sort of an extension post from a comment i made in another thread but I feel it warrants a separate discussion. This is in NO WAY a statement outside of my own thoughts or belief, I just personally have been a huge skeptic of Shanks as this "perfect" pirate that Luffy should look up to. Before responding, please read the whole thing. There is no tldr, other than the fact that I'm not saying Shanks is evil, but rather a morally grey antagonist that may serve as an eventual foil for Luffy. There are things in the story that support this so im just going to list them out below. Up to you if you want to believe any of it or agree. Some of it is direct evidence from the manga, some of it is a little bit of theorizing from said evidence in the manga. That said, Blackbeard imo, is still an intrinsic part to the climax of the story, so don't feel too deterred from reading if that is the case. Anyway:

- Oda has known the ending to his series since before his series began. This is very unlike most other long running manga because usually the bigger they get, their endings have to fluctuate based on what can be done. We do know (as Oda reminds us always) that his ending hasn't changed. This is important because no matter how much bigger one piece gets, it seems that it will return to its roots primarily for this reason. There are 2 major things that have remained constant since the beginning of the series: Shanks and the Strawhat. They are the biggest things that come out of chapter 1. Blackbeard wasn't hinted at until the 130's and wasnt introduced until the 230's. While there is no evidence to say Oda hadn't conceived Blackbeard from the beginning, we can be sure Shanks was an idea already when Oda drafted his ending. The same goes for Akainu/Im, whom are characters even conceived even further into the story.

- Shanks himself is probably the most enigmatic character in the series. We know next to nothing about his motivations or primary feelings about pretty much anything. There are some things that seem to give away to his character though.

- Shanks has constant competitive, almost "dark" looking faces anytime Luffy is mentioned via bounty poster. This has been consistent virtually every time Luffy is mentioned. When he talks to Luffy at Marineford, its yet another weird looking face (the shading; how Oda drew it) that sort of doesn't fit the tone of the scene in a way.

- Shanks is an interesting harbinger of peace, but it's by which he achieves said "peace" that's odd: His relationship to the WG. Sengoku seems to respect him. This seemed normal until we got chapter 906, his discussion with the Gorosei. This does not make sense in context. The Gorosei murder and commit genocides in droves. This should be the biggest red flag for anyone thinking Shanks is a primarily "good" person.

- Then on that note, his conversation with them ends about a "certain pirate". I hope people know that Oda is all about misdirect when it comes to dialogue. We KNOW Shanks has a disdain for Blackbeard, we KNOW he's warned Whitebeard about him with Ace. So WHY is Oda not actually referencing this "certain pirate" by name prior as if to leave it a mystery?

- What's interesting is that the last thing Shanks did before going to the Gorosei is look at Luffy's 1.5 billion poster and say "it's about time we meet Luffy". Not saying it means anything but there was no major Blackbeard or any other pirate news prior to this so...take what you will from that.

- Shanks also the same age as the God Valley incident. Oden's flashback also seems to hint that Roger has had Shanks since he was a baby (and maybe even Buggy, who is also the same age). On top of this, Oden's flashback left us with a weird moment where Oden catches Shanks asking Roger an "unknown question", to which Roger responds and Shanks crying. This is a BIG TELL that there is more to Shanks' character than what we know, a hidden emotional connection to Roger or that question.

- God Valley itself is yet another enigmatic island like Laugh Tale. The WG erased the island from maps for a reason, which means Rocks was there for a reason they didn't want another pirate to repeat. If it was just killing the CD's, erasing the island doesn't make much sense when many of them seem to have relocated to Mariejois. On top of this, the term used is "erased from maps", not destroyed. I think this will play a huge role in the climax, not just Laugh Tale

- A BIG confirmation happened also during Oden's flashback that shows Shanks and Buggy never went to Laugh Tale. This really hurts the whole "gatekeepter" theory because it proves that Shanks wasn't any closer to One Piece than the other Yonko and wouldn't have known where Laugh Tale was.

- We also have zero idea if Shanks is interested or emotionally invested in "One Piece" specifically. His vested interest seems to partially come from Luffy and him meeting again, but why? What does he know or want Luffy to do? He talks about "betting his arm" on the new age, but Shanks never went to Laugh Tale so we have no idea what this actually suggests. There is an idea that "betting his arm" on Luffy suggests malicious intent due to him being a D., and also a reason why he didn't want Ace to die. They are/were candidates for "something". I won't get too deep into theory territory though, it's too early, although I have a summary at the end of my post from a reddit user who I think nailed what I am talking about.

- Shanks' crew quite literally rips Kids arm off in a battle with him. Killer also has some bad scars. Pretty violent for a "peaceful" man who sacrificed his own arm for something. Let it be known that Lucky Roo still shot a man in the head in chapter 1. These people are brutal and Yonko are no joke, not even Shanks.

- Luffy has proclaimed twice that he wants to beat Shanks physically, once at Punk Hazard ("as long as Shanks isn't first!"/"I plan on taking down all 4 Yonko") and once at Wano explaining to Hyougoro what the Yonko are.

- A big part of why I think Shanks may be the true final antagonist (not villain, there is a difference) is Mihawk. Mihawk lost his Shichibukai status and his only known association with another pirate is Shanks. Im not saying he will "join" the Red-Haired pirates as Shanks' subordinate but an alliance almost seems likely since what comes after Wano is the world being in turmoil. For Mihawk to be aimless until his eventual final fight with Zoro seems weird, and that the thing, he should be Zoro's final fight. IF Mihawk joins Shanks, then I pretty much expect Shanks to be Luffy's final fight then as well.

- Finally, Shanks being the final battle just works extremely well as an emotional ending to this manga. Returning the hat seems to be the "big loop" this series has gone for, as there are even possible indications Luffy becomes PK before the series ends (before the Final War). Luffy returning the hat to Shanks on the grounds that he wasn't this exactly who he though he was, is almost beautifully tragic to me (the implication being Shanks has ulterior motives that are morally grey). It works for Zoro vs. Mihawk because that should be Zoro's last fight (assuming Mihawk allies with Shanks for the final war). It works well for Usopp because surpassing his father (assuming they meet before on Elbaf or another location) is probably an extension of his brave warrior dream since everything he is based on his father leaving him. I just think there is a huge emotional connection to Shanks being the final antagonist here, not Blackbeard, who's crew members come off more as "epic" villains than serious ones in all their chaos.

Pretty much all I have. One other thing to note is Blackbeard and Shanks certainly dislike each other. When I suggest Shanks being an antagonist, he is also an antagonist to Blackbeard, not just Luffy, and vice versa. Even with their personalities you get very different vibes from them in terms of how they handle things. RED Haired Shanks. BLACKbeard. Order and Chaos. Freedom through controlled peace. Freedom through disarray and panic. Luffy stopping both for his own version of freedom, which we all know would be different. Shanks potentially misinterpreting Roger's will. Makes you wonder if it's always been that intentional for Oda.

‐----------------------

Additionally, I've seen some crazy, interesting facts/ideas about Shanks recently that make me actually more of a believer he has massive ties to the ending, and thats his whole "Yakuza" like influence. Credit goes to a reddit user dfd2002 who commented on a theory thread i made the other day, but essentially:

- Shanks epithet, "Akagami", can actually be read in multiple ways. (Red Hair)/ "赤髪" or (Dirty God)/"垢神". We KNOW how much Oda likes to play with words and puns. "Dirty God" could imply he is a leader of something "false" or "dirty", something like the Underworld? To elaborate, Oda introduced 6 new Underworld characters into WCI, why? None of them are truly important, but what if, like the Gorosei to Im, they all serve a secret leader?

- Even on that note, the Underworld is massively used by network of many kingdoms, the Yonko and even the World Government. Could this be how Shanks reached the Gorosei so easily? Also why they casually greet him like its no surprise?

- One big thing is that Shanks is referred to as "Kashira"/頭, not Captain/Taisho. Other translations have made it so (i believe Stephen has for simplicity), but Kashira is a term used to refer to a Yakuza boss. Whitebeard gets the less formal "Oyaji" or Pops, to very clearly there is a term of endearment/respect from Shanks' crew when it comes from this. Shanks is one of the few characters to have this reference outside of the actual Yakuza in Wano and I believe Luffy by the Strawhat fleet, which makes sense due to their sake ritual they Luffy hated. But Shanks has been referred to as this since Chapter 1, crazy as hell. Translations to English, I dont think it matters too much, but the fact this is how its done in Japanese and it is interesting Shanks is the only Yonko or major pirate to really have carried tha title since the beginning.

- Shanks is also from West blue (hes slightly older than the God Valley incident, about a year), where the 5 Yakuza families that Bege fucked over are from and also where the best Sake comes from. This could prove ties to the Underworld even more, but just an interesting fact, nothing big.

- Shank's bounty is, 4,048,900,000. The "489" part is so excruciatingly specific, that if you look up the number its normally relative to gambling and Yakuza. First off, 89 is the name for the japanese gambling card game "Oicho-Kabu" (kabfuda names for 8 and 9 respectively in the game), and is often referred to as the origin of the Yakuza name too. 89 also means "hand" in several other gambling games. 489 spelt together is "Shiyaku", and apparently can mean "playing the role of teacher/master", aka his relationship to Luffy, OR "playing the role of death", which is really weird, but would i be shocked lol

- But here's where it gets wild. Take Shanks' cryptic "I bet this arm on the new age" and turn it into something negative. Imagine he wasn't talking about Luffy saving the world as we all think (he wasn't even with Roger at Laugh Tale to find out the true history), but something much more cryptic. Shanks IS a gambler and betting man. Like the medieval-1800s Yakuza, losing a pinky is a means to resolve a bet if you do not have any other means to do so. It also means you generally lost your pinky on your dominant sword hand to prevent proper sword combat. Shanks predicament is almost exactly that. He lost his alleged dominant sword hand (not that it means much) and Mihawk refuses to fight him now. Could it be Shanks is betting on Luffy by influencing him? Why was he even in East Blue? Do we actually believe Shanks couldn't prevent his arm being lopped off if a stare at the Sea King worked just as well? What does Shanks actually want Luffy to do?

Seems insanely specific to me, and I didn't even reference everything this guy brought up. Look up Shimizu Jirocho. As of now Shanks doesn't really have an influential real life figure like many other characters do, at least outwardly. But this man, my god the sheer levels of influence is so up Oda's alley to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimizu_Jirocho
- most famous yakuza in history
- adopted
- life has no recorded notable incidents between the death of his father and becoming a young adult
- became a gambler and criminal and started building a private navy (would be the Underworld)
- played the revolutionary army and the government against each other (wink wink, the sale of weapons and the increased conflicts have pitted both sides against each other more and more; look at Dressrosa)
- swordsman
- folk hero/robin hood figure in japan
- famously made sure people were buried properly after a war and defied the government in doing so (Ace/Whitebeard)
- was known to be able to settle major conflicts without casualties (Paramount War)

Everything under the dotted line above is credited to that reddit user, I just shortened (the list regarding Shimizu Jirocho is his) in my own words, but a lot of this almost seems way too coincidental to be just that, even when using the talking pointsI've mentioned above. All the above combined almost would make Shanks one of the deepest characters in this story, we just haven't found out his motivations yet.

Something is definitely going on with Shanks, and at this point I feel like its not exactly "good". Thoughts?

Edit: A 1.5 month late edit but im correcting my mistakes since it seems like this thread got bumped. It turns out u/dfd2002 is in fact our own @ArturCantSpeakJapanese , so pretty much the second half of this thread is credit to him, whoever is reading this now.
This aged very well.I theorized some time ago that Shanks might be Luffy final opponent into the PK race because the return of the straw hat needs to be emotional.I think the current yonko will fall in this order:
1-BlackBeard(hachinosu incident points to it imo).
2-Buggy(man wants to be PK now).
3-Shanks.
Post automatically merged:

What if he was talking about the man marked by the flames?He is rumored to be the one in possession of the last road poneglyph.

Last edited:
Didnt even dawn on me that now with the Robot reacting to Nika like a power source, that the answer of Shanks wanting something from Luffy might actually start to hold water.

He clearly knew Luffy ate that mythical fruit, so my guess is needs Luffy to use his awakening and activate something. Whether or not that has sinister motives or not remains to be seen, but its interesting nonetheless if thats what Oda is trying to do here.

1. Blackbeard wasn't hinted at until the 130's
not quite true. in chapter 1 snitch - as well as his jolly roger - are proudly sporting the 3 scars teach gave him.

But here's where it gets wild. Take Shanks' cryptic "I bet this arm on the new age" and turn it into something negative. Imagine he wasn't talking about Luffy saving the world as we all think (he wasn't even with Roger at Laugh Tale to find out the true history), but something much more cryptic. Shanks IS a gambler and betting man
so are his fellow CDs. they like auctions, contests, and horse race-like games where you can bet on one contestant or another... i think it's a cultural thing.

Last edited:
not quite true. in chapter 1 snitch - as well as his jolly roger - are proudly sporting the 3 scars teach gave him.
Which doesnt really signify anything lol.

For all we know Oda drafted Shanks with a face scar for no other reason but to make him look cool

Key point is we have multiple versions of Romance dawn that involve Shanks in 2 of them. Garp (as his nameless Grandpa) is even in one of them, and hes not fully revelaled until the 400s

Didnt even dawn on me that now with the Robot reacting to Nika like a power source, that the answer of Shanks wanting something from Luffy might actually start to hold water.

He clearly knew Luffy ate that mythical fruit, so my guess is needs Luffy to use his awakening and activate something. Whether or not that has sinister motives or not remains to be seen, but its interesting nonetheless if thats what Oda is trying to do here.
for a long time ive been convinced that shanks is setting luffy up to fulfill some kind of prophecy or meet the conditions for something to happen, and luffy will hate this even if other people dont. luffy was about to stop being a pirate if rayleigh told him about the one piece, imagine his reaction when shanks tells him his plans.