Character Discussion Some Thoughts on Yamato 4 Nakama

Yamato 4 Nakama?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yamato shouldn't join just because she read Oden's diary and she knows about OP. Luffy freak out with Usopp for asking that to Rayleigh. So it is pretty simple that she SHOULDN'T join.

I voted no but anyway I think she will join and Oda won't give a shit about that massive detail.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Yamato shouldn't join just because she read Oden's diary and she knows about OP. Luffy freak out with Usopp for asking that to Rayleigh. So it is pretty simple that she SHOULDN'T join.

I voted no but anyway I think she will join and Oda won't give a shit about that massive detail.
Luffy will simply ask her not to spoil and she'll respect Luffy's wishes. I don't see how this is such a bing hang up for some people.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Luffy could just leave the room when Usopp asked. He didn't.
Because that's not in character for Luffy. Instead of leaving the room when the spoilers are being given, he asked Rayleigh not to provide the spoilers.

He don't want anyone in his crew to know. He was very clear about that.
I don't think you can infer from this scene that Luffy bar his crew mates from spoiling themselves, let alone that Luffy would reject prospective crewmates because they've already been spoiled.

Because that's not in character for Luffy. Instead of leaving the room when the spoilers are being given, he asked Rayleigh not to provide the spoilers.

I don't think you can infer from this scene that Luffy bar his crew mates from spoiling themselves, let alone that Luffy would reject prospective crewmates because they've already been spoiled.
No dude, you are giving poor excuses to explain a very clear fact. Luffy doesn't want anyone to be spoiled in his crew. You literally said this and contradict yourself. Yamato shouldn't join. She can but shouldn't. But Luffy and Oda are 2 hypocrites anyway.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
β€Ž
Good thread as usual.

You covered a lot of what I thought on the matter. Particularly the case of Luffy acting as Yamato's liberator/saviour. To me, that's the strongest point in Yamato's favor to becoming a Straw Hat. It reflects the main plot of the arc which is opening Wano's borders to the world. If Yamato stayed on Wano to care for Momo, it would only be a larger prison for them. Letting them see how wonderous the outside world is can only be truly experienced with those who live at sea. The Straw Hats are the best choice for someone like Yamato.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Good thread as usual.

You covered a lot of what I thought on the matter. Particularly the case of Luffy acting as Yamato's liberator/saviour. To me, that's the strongest point in Yamato's favor to becoming a Straw Hat. It reflects the main plot of the arc which is opening Wano's borders to the world. If Yamato stayed on Wano to care for Momo, it would only be a larger prison for them. Letting them see how wonderous the outside world is can only be truly experienced with those who live at sea. The Straw Hats are the best choice for someone like Yamato.
It's also the case that there is no other credible choice for Yamato to leave Wano.

Of the many pirates in Onigashima, Luffy:
  • Is the one she's been waiting for
    • She believes that his arrival on Onigashima is fate.
  • Is the only one she's had any interactions with
  • Is the one she asked to let her aboard their crew
  • Is the one who freed her from her shackles
  • Is the younger brother of her first friend
    • Said friend "saved" her by removing the shackles binding her heart.
    • Said friend wanted to recruit her but could not because of her physical shackles.
    • Said friend promised to come back for her, but died before they could meet again.

If Yamato is to leave Wano, it will be with Luffy. Unless Oda plans to imprison her in Wano, she will leave Wano.

So it's highly likely that Yamato leaves with Luffy. The question will be if she becomes a core member of his crew, or is she just a passenger aboard his ship like Law.

Last edited:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Imo she will join, Luffy will fulfill Ace's promise to her and she's the only character to ever ask to join Luffy's crew.
Robin and Nami did this as well IIRC.

It's a commonality to all the female nakama.

Yamato and his damn fanboys...

Its crazy how such a fanbase exists for a badly written ass pull with a total of 5 chapters worth of screen time

All of this was pretty obvious. And it certainly feels like Oda made Yamato to join from the get go and was all intentional.

Oda has done this with a majority of the Straw Hats who joined.

The other thing too is that for a majority of the Straw hats who joined, Luffy met them first and alone. The only exceptions are: Sanji, Ussop and Brook. But even then Luffy was quick to ask them to join almost immediately upon meeting.

Another criteria i would also add is that those who join are outcasts or who don't fit in with the crowd that they had previously belonged to before joining. Everybody who joined the straw hats pirates crew became a second home and family for them, whether it was out of convenience or otherwise. Zoro was forced to join or he'd get executed, Nami joined cause she didn't feel like home in neither the Arlong Pirates or CoCo Village, Ussop was the village liar that people didn't like, Sanji was the cook who didn't get along with his peers, Chopper was the snow monster, Robin was a fugitive on the run, Franky didn't have a place in Water Seven that would let him be himself, Brook was all alone on a ghost ship and Jinbe was a pirate who would always be discriminated against on the human surface world.

Yamato has no friends in Wano, and her only family is just a alcoholic abusive mess of a father.

Yamato definitely feels like Oda really pushing for a character to join in a long time. The last one was Brook, we didn't know if Jinbe was gonna join or not until after Fishman island until Luffy finally asked him.

I'm more curious as to why some say that she won't join but can't give good reasons why. I have yet to see a convincing reason why. Other than Yamato there hasn't been a more fitting candidate in the Wano Arc. There has also been those that say that yaamto will die, but i also think that won't happen, for the same reasons why jinbe didn't die on WCI.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
If she stops with the stupid "Oden act" i can see it happening. But no signs of that as of now.
Hope she throw her 'Odens act' at some point or at the end of Wano.. hehee XD
Yamato is already coming into her own:

but i also think that won't happen, for the same reasons why jinbe didn't die on WCI.
Nah, Jimbe has least had a death flag in WCI and people that would have mourned him if he died. Yamato has neither. Not only does her death have no setup or foreshadowing, it serves no narrative purpose. The only thing of value it can contribute is shock, and that's not the kind of story One Piece is.

Worst

Custom title
β€Ž
It's a very big 50/50 cuz right now she believes that Momo is the one who will bring the revolution, now she didn't saw Luffy s will so she might change idea as the story goes on , it also depends how much was written in Oden's journal, if it was just enough to shake the fantasy maybe she will want to join to see what Oden saw or she can stay and take care of Momo....... I hope she joins but carrot is also a candidate....( If they join both it will be even better)
Post automatically merged:

She is hot like Nami and is the daughter of Kaido, it will be really Hype for the next Nakama, ofc she needs some character development but this will come as well