Is jinbe gonna witness greatness soon?

• Total voters
W

wordyworm

Japanese, similar to Chinese, does not have clearly defined plurals. Either translation is fine unless specifically debunked by the author imo. I personally prefer ‘Hawk-Eyes’ to avoid confusion with the MCU character but it’s not a big deal to me lol.
Oh, yeah, I agree! And I'm not a native speaker, but I understand basic Japanese. The singular/plural issue is a matter in so many J-->E translations and I usually compare with a Japanese friend when the chapter comes out (which is why I'm holding off giving my opinion on this one bc the translations all seem off).

The "-s" is useful in distinguishing online tags and that other Hawk-Eye who shall not be acknowledged. And I usually stay out of romanization arguments because they're ridiculous and usually some weeb with a dictionary vs another, etc. Romanizations aren't as fixed or important to native speakers as they are to westerners, and I totally get that. I have Japanese friends and family who would laugh in my face if I were to suggest that romanization plurals matter :)

But Stephen Paul's English translations usually follow a fixed set of rules, and I'm interested in learning if it was changed in other languages. If Mihawk's title had changed to 鷹の目々 or 鷹のお目々, then the sudden change in the English title would have made sense, so it seems like a deliberate translation choice, which I think Stephen is usually pretty nuanced about. So, like, as a cunning linguist myself, I'm interested in learning more about.

Just as a side note, I wonder if Oden ever heard of Mihawk during his travels or through the papers. Mihawk seems to have obtained Yoru after Roger’s execution but Wano would’ve been Kaido-occupied at the time. Is there another place one can get supreme grade weapons? Given Yoru’s Western design maybe Marijoa?
Mihawk would have been in his late teens, and was already making a name for himself, according to his Vivre card. I wonder if Oden heard of him, but also if Mihawk knew Oden's name! He likes to stay current with the news! (like his mother, Shakky!)

I've always thought that Yoru might have originated in Wano, but I don't really have any evidence for that.
There is this shitty gif I made a long time ago, though:

and there was a similar symbol on Perona's crown

as well as in Im-sama's basement ruckus room

So I think Yoru is definitely of an ancient and powerful origin. Mariejois is a strong possibility for me, too!

Mihawk's description on the One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 site:

"One of the Seven Warlords of the Sea, also known as "Hawk-Eye Mihawk." The man who stands above all other swordsmen in the world. Capable of cutting even a massive ship in two with a single stroke of his sword. In the Grand Line, he destroyed the pirate armada of Krieg's crew, all 50 ships, single-handedly. He says that his reason for doing so was to "pass the time," showing how difficult it is to read his personality."

I find it interesting to see how they put an emphasis on his personality. As if they are saying that they agreeing with the people claiming that his personality as to be into consideration when talking about his feats:hope::quest::bamathink:

Did y'all notice that Mihawk's epithet changed in English from Hawk-Eye to Hawk-Eyes? I've tried to find the reason but I haven't had any luck. Of course the anime recently gave us "Jracule," but it seems strange that the official English Viz version would change this late in the game.

His epithet in Japanese didn't change, so I'm interested to hear if this was only an English language change, a mistake, etc, or what other official language versions say as well.
(Yes, I have a bias. I like it better without the "s" and have noticed more OP fans have changed what they call him online)

:sus:Or is this just another one of Mihawk's mysteries??? They keep him vague on purpose, you know!

his intro through Ch 956 was "HAWK-EYE" or "HAWKEYE"

But in 956 it was changed

So yes, I understand this is a totally specific random question, but BY GAWD if I can't ask it here among you learned swordbois, then where the hell can I ask it?
:milaugh::hope:
His eyes have always been a huge mystery. Never ruled out the chance Mihawk is not a common human and a descendant or any type of relative to Imu sama.

I think Oda has set off a huge plot about Mihawk, we shall find out sooner or later.