Controversial The defenitive thread about swordsmanship skills and titles.

Tcb are biased as fuck because they translated "ζœ€εΌ·" as strongest in chapter 996 but "ζœ€εΌ·" as greatest in 1058

Oda has made the difference between "greatest" and "strongest"

If he wants to say greatest, he would use "ichi no" (like he did in chapter 700)

If he wants to say strongest, he would use "saikyou" (like he did in all other instances when describing Mihawk)

Its like calling Whitebeard (sekai saiykou no otoko), the world greatest man which doesn't make sense

Well kinda did trouble sandman for this.. he said it literally translates to the strongest

i can't blame TBC becuz an alternate meaning is greatest

when was the last time Viz translated Mihawk's title as Strongest before this recent chap?

I mean, yeah?

The point of the entire argument going on in the forum right now is if Mihawk is the strongest swordmen currently alive, wich he is as he is refered multiple times as both strongest and greatest. And Shanks is definely a swordman, meaning Mihawk is yonko level AT LEAST.
But Vista is a better Swordsman than SHanks though..

Not really interested in this debate tbh but my personal take on it is exactly what is stated lol "Mihawk's sword skill exceeds that of Shanks".

Mihawk is referred to as the World's Strongest Swordsman thus he's top 1 in swordsmanship in the verse atm. The aforementioned statement only re-affirms what we already know. However, I don't think it necessarily translates to Mihawk > Shanks. Fights in OP are not that simple & Oda is a complicated mofo and logic doesn't always fly with him.

Roger seems to be a swordsman and I've seen folks bring up that Usopp Gallery panel to justify that which is fair but it is also however important to note that Kaido specifically says Roger's "Haki" was what made him top 1 in the verse with no reference to his swordsmanship. Contrast that to someone like Ryuma who is referred to as a "Sword God" with emphasis being put on his "Swordsmanship". It is also important to note that even though Roger is supposedly a swordsman and the strongest of his generation he doesn't have a black blade which is possessed by those that have reached the pinnacle of swordsmanship in the series. So why didn't Roger have a black blade even though he had such overwhelming Haki? Plus I don't think there's anyone that seriously thinks Mihawk's Haki is greater or comparable to Roger's, so even with Roger's overwhelming Haki why wasn't he able to acquire a black blade? If his Haki wasn't the problem then could it be that lacked the pre-requisite "sword skill" to be able to do so?

Also I saw someone bring up Yasopp v Beckman, which is a ironically pretty similar to this debate. Yasopp is top 1 marksman/gunner in the verse & Beckman is also a marksman/gunner but we know Beckman is stronger than Yasopp even though the later possesses greater marksmanship. Why is that? Obvious answer is that Beckman possesses extra skills in addition to his marksmanship that puts him beyond Yasopp. Strength disticnction isn't as clear with Shanks and Mihawk but this example proves that it is possible to possess greater skills than someone in a primary fighting style but still be weaker overall. So Mihawk having greater sword skills doesn't at all prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he is stronger than Shanks.

Anyways that's my two cents on this. Isn't really a translation ting. Translation says what it says.

Not really interested in this debate tbh but my personal take on it is exactly what is stated lol "Mihawk's sword skill exceeds that of Shanks".

Mihawk is referred to as the World's Strongest Swordsman thus he's top 1 in swordsmanship in the verse atm. The aforementioned statement only re-affirms what we already know. However, I don't think it necessarily translates to Mihawk > Shanks. Fights in OP are not that simple & Oda is a complicated mofo and logic doesn't always fly with him.

Roger seems to be a swordsman and I've seen folks bring up that Usopp Gallery panel to justify that which is fair but it is also however important to note that Kaido specifically says Roger's "Haki" was what made him top 1 in the verse with no reference to his swordsmanship. Contrast that to someone like Ryuma who is referred to as a "Sword God" with emphasis being put on his "Swordsmanship". It is also important to note that even though Roger is supposedly a swordsman and the strongest of his generation he doesn't have a black blade which is possessed by those that have reached the pinnacle of swordsmanship in the series. So why didn't Roger have a black blade even though he had such overwhelming Haki? Plus I don't think there's anyone that seriously thinks Mihawk's Haki is greater or comparable to Roger's, so even with Roger's overwhelming Haki why wasn't he able to acquire a black blade? If his Haki wasn't the problem then could it be that lacked the pre-requisite "sword skill" to be able to do so?

Also I saw someone bring up Yasopp v Beckman, which is a ironically pretty similar to this debate. Yasopp is top 1 marksman/gunner in the verse & Beckman is also a marksman/gunner but we know Beckman is stronger than Yasopp even though the later possesses greater marksmanship. Why is that? Obvious answer is that Beckman possesses extra skills in addition to his marksmanship that puts him beyond Yasopp. Strength disticnction isn't as clear with Shanks and Mihawk but this example proves that it is possible to possess greater skills than someone in a primary fighting style but still be weaker overall. So Mihawk having greater sword skills doesn't at all prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he is stronger than Shanks.

Anyways that's my two cents on this. Isn't really a translation ting. Translation says what it says.
Yasop is never stated to be the number 1/Worldstrongest Marksman/Gunsman/Sniper/CODplayer/CSGOpro.

Yassop isn't the strongest marksman ir Gunner. Thats not stated anywhere.

Ok boss
you are right with that translation,shanks tards celebrated too early
Thx bro, I had the suspect...TDA is a Shanks fan after all and not even a translator
Post automatically merged:

Thanks man, but this thread is pretty much worthless when all that effort to prove that Zoro's dream is different from Mihawk's title is invalidated when Zoro, in his own words, considers them to be synonymous.

There's really nothing more to prove atp. The author essentially proved that Shanks is a swordsman lmao.
But also this ^^

Yasop is never stated to be the number 1/Worldstrongest Marksman/Gunsman/Sniper/CODplayer/CSGOpro.
Even though he doesn't seem to have an official title like Mihawk, I think that much is implied but regardless it doesn't really change the crux of that argument. Both Beckmann and Yasopp are gun users but Yasopp is more skilled than Beckman with a gun, even though beckman is the stronger of the two.

Even though he doesn't seem to have an official title like Mihawk, I think that much is implied but regardless it doesn't really change the crux of that argument. Both Beckmann and Yasopp are gun users but Yasopp is more skilled than Beckman with a gun, even though beckman is the stronger of the two.
It literally changes the argument completely. He not the strongest markman Mihawk is the strongest Swordsman. Mihawk title isn't the skillest Swordsman