The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

Even if it's frustrating and can be really handicapping at some moments, I think that having fragile weapons has its charm since it adds a touch of realism, in real life many weapons are of poor qualify and would break, block or stem in some situations.
Well, I'm not really a fan of such a mechanism. I like it more simple; imagine fighting a cool boss while you have to worry about whether your weapon breaks after the 20th hit or not.
Post automatically merged:

I really hope to learn more lore and history about Hyrule and its races, to know what happened to Skyloft and how the kingdom of Hyrule was created and populated.
I rather think we might see the history of what truly happened 10000 years ago. There was an era of a highly advanced civilisation in Hyrule.
And looking at Link's clothing, he resembled the hero who defeated Calamity Ganon, together with Zelda and the Shiekah 10000 years ago.

BTW, I don't think Zelda ain't playable yet.

Though I suppose we’ll still have to wait as to whether or not this game will address the criticisms I had of Breath of the Wild.
Well, they're working on this project since 2017, I doubt they won't change much. The Zelda team is competent, I think they addressed some of the criticisms accordingly.

In terms of dungeons, I hope they realised how they messed it up with BotW before. Changing the more traditional themed dungeons was a massive mistake. Innovations are not bad, forced innovations kinda is.
Fragile weapons are a heavy issue too but I recognized that Link always carried the same sword around. So there may be a secondary weapon class system while your sword is your first weapon of choice - would be also mich better.

Also, from what I saw, I think Link's new items is a mix of his runes and more traditional items (though, the flamethrower didn't appear on older Zelda games lol).

The part when Link burned the demonic hand looks like a dungeon and said monster can be a mini boss as well.

I was kinda disappointed that we "only" had a 1:30 min trailer after waiting for 2 years, there's not even the reveal of the title. Meanwhile the first real BotW trailer was 3 mins + title + a bit gameplay.

Do you think we might see more stuff in TGS?

And please, PLEASE, underwater exploration. You can't show us such a wide and beautiful overworld with a wide sea without solid underwater action!

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'π–˜ π•Ύπ–•π–†π–œπ–“
β€Ž
Hopefully BOTW2's shrines are bigger and better, I would take 20 big ones over 120 small ones.

I want more side quests like the Tarrey Town one.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
β€Ž
Innovations are not bad, forced innovations kinda is.
I can understand the breaking weapon decision, forcing weapon variety on players keeps combat more fresh and adds strategy to item management, and in retrospect I don’t mind that system all that much.

I also respect that they tried to keep the unique aesthetics of the Divine Beasts via the environments you face them in, but for me it’s just not enough lol.

Do you think we might see more stuff in TGS?
Well, I think the fact that they just said β€œ2022”, implies a mid-late 2022 release. And I’m sure we’ll here plenty about the game before then.

I can understand the breaking weapon decision, forcing weapon variety on players keeps combat more fresh and adds strategy to item management, and in retrospect I don’t mind that system all that much.

I also respect that they tried to keep the unique aesthetics of the Divine Beasts via the environments you face them in, but for me it’s just not enough lol.

Well, I think the fact that they just said β€œ2022”, implies a mid-late 2022 release. And I’m sure we’ll here plenty about the game before then.
But such a weaponsystem is clearly a "I like or i dont like it" thing

Normal weapons?Ok,but the legendary Mastersword which lose power while using it?That was a garbage decision

I'd have liked a more durable weapon system tho, similar to the one in The Witcher 3.

In fact, 2 weapon classes might even be better if I think about it. Link is ultimately a swordsman, he was always a swordsman throughout the entire series. Hence his sword being his first weapon of choice should be a given. BUT! Link is also a very experienced knight, so him randomly carrying and using different kind of weapons isn't an issue.
Monsters drop their weapons, Link picks it up. He also finds random weapons on the map, Link takes them. These weapons would be part of the second weapon class. Breakable but strong.

You can think of it like the weapon function in Wind Waker but in this case, Link can take those weapons to his bag, thus the second weapon class idea.

I do think the sequel may even implemented this kind of weapon system as we only see Link carrying a sword.

Yeah, I think so too.
I hope we will see more footage soon - ie TGS - and not to wait till the next E3.

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
β€Ž
But such a weaponsystem is clearly a "I like or i dont like it" thing

Normal weapons?Ok,but the legendary Mastersword which lose power while using it?That was a garbage decision
I see the issue with having one weapon with infinite durability while the rest break, since obviously there would never be a need to touch any other weapons once you get the infinite one lol.

Though I suppose you could fix that issue by making certain breakable weapons stronger than the Master Sword, but more on that later. I really respected the decision on my second play through. Like @Sentinel said, the idea of Link as Hyrule’s Champion being able to use a wide variety of weapons just made sense to me and made him feel more like a warrior. Which I think is part of how he’s supposed to feel.

In fact, 2 weapon classes might even be better if I think about it. Link is ultimately a swordsman, he was always a swordsman throughout the entire series. Hence his sword being his first weapon of choice should be a given. BUT! Link is also a very experienced knight, so him randomly carrying and using different kind of weapons isn't an issue.
Monsters drop their weapons, Link picks it up. He also finds random weapons on the map, Link takes them. These weapons would be part of the second weapon class. Breakable but strong.
Yeah but then there’s the issue of players never touching the weapons because who cares when you have the Master Sword, which is among the strongest swords in Zelda lore?

You could make the breakable weapons more powerful or have different properties that the MS lacks, though I don’t really think this makes lore sense. In OoT for example, the Biggoron Sword was stronger than the Master Sword, but it was breakable and also took Seven years to forge. So I don’t think it makes sense for the world to be littered in weapons more powerful than the MS when they are supposed to be very rare.

You could make unique weapons with unique properties, but
A) BOTW already did this with freeze/shock/ice weaponry, and they made little/no gameplay difference in the grand scheme of things
B) you can’t really design a consistent experience around such weapons because there’s no guarantee as to when players will actually have these weapons since they break
C) weapons with unique properties are basically just items, which Zelda already has.

I think the whole point of breaking weapons is like I said, to force players to experiment with different combat styles, and no other design choice is guaranteed to produce this kind of result. I understand it’s controversial but it really did grow on me, wearing down strong enemies’ health by strategically breaking spears and such on them only to bust out a giant cleaver in the end for the kill lol. I enjoyed the shakeups very much and would’ve never bothered with such techniques if I had an invincible sword.

The biggest criticism I think I have for breakable weapons is how predictable it gets knowing I’m about to have to break three weapons on this Lynel to kill it but I don’t really see how to fix that lol.

Last edited: