General & Others Was WCI one of the best arcs of One Piece?

Was WCI one of the best arcs of One Piece?

• Total voters

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
While I think the hate on the arc is a little overblown, it's definitely not one of the best arcs in the series. Pretty enjoyable until the end of the Tea Party, then things just went downhill from there. Chapter after chapter of "Wedding Caaake!", the multiple disaster fakeout cliffhangers, the fact that the Straw Hats saved the Vinsmokes at the Tea Party just to leave them at the end of the arc, etc.

Bege really grew on me as a character, Raeju was fine, Perospero was threatening, and it was nice to get a look into Elbaf after all this time.

Was it the best arc? Hell nah.

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
I might be the only one here who thinks WCI was a great arc so i’ll say why I liked it:
  • Katakuri was a great antagonist
  • Stakes are higher than they used to be, Luffy is going against a Yonko
  • Pedro’s sacrifice
  • We got to see more of Bege
  • Germa 66 were cool
  • Reiju!!
  • I liked the Wedding plot line because you know it won’t work out perfectly but it was suspenseful especially when you’re waiting to see when it will go wrong
  • Jinbe joining the crew...then sacrificing himself again
  • Brook finally got his moment to shine
  • The setting was beautiful

And I understand that the arc has its flaws like BM’s “Weeeedding cake” really wasn’t that great but I still really loved the arc

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
The characters were good, but the writing was horrible which affected the characters and how we view them.
I think, after the collapse of the chateau, the arc got stuck in the Seducing Woods chase for too long and the momentum was killed. It's not exactly hyping any of us up to see Charlotte Mama running around with half a brain, able to hit every molecule around the Straw hats but can't even glance them for chapters on end. If that was trimmed down significantly, I think the reception for the Boat Chase and Katakuri fight would be a lot better.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I'd argue Perospero was just as if not more capable. Masterfully subdued the enemies multiple times, took initiative, saved the crew and redirected Big Mom's rampages. Even gave Linlin a candy slug to move. After being suicide bombed, delimbed, and threatened with death if a cake wasn't made soon (an impossible objective that only a master chef like Sanji could accomplish), he remained at Linlin's side.

Perospero is the MVP of the Big Mom pirates, quite frankly.
All of that is true but why is that so?
Because there was no Luffy to ruin all of his plans. Why? Because Katakuri kept him busy.
Imagine Katakuri not having to deal with Luffy. RIP Strawhats.

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
I think, after the collapse of the chateau, the arc got stuck in the Seducing Woods chase for too long and the momentum was killed. It's not exactly hyping any of us up to see Charlotte Mama running around with half a brain, able to hit every molecule around the Straw hats but can't even glance them for chapters on end. If that was trimmed down significantly, I think the reception for the Boat Chase and Katakuri fight would be a lot better.
Also if there were less chapters of Luffy just getting his face pushed in would've been nice. Him getting FS so quickly was already BS, but him getting pounded for chapters was meh.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
All of that is true but why is that so?
Because there was no Luffy to ruin all of his plans. Why? Because Katakuri kept him busy.
Imagine Katakuri not having to deal with Luffy. RIP Strawhats.
Yeah but Perospero was a smart guy riding Big Mom. I think he'd of been able to adapt to the situation.
Also if there were less chapters of Luffy just getting his face pushed in would've been nice. Him getting FS so quickly was already BS, but him getting pounded for chapters was meh.
The Kata fight never sat with me because of how one sided it was (alongside Kata's character development not being to my pleasure). But even then, I think if you trim the Seducing Woods Chase and keep some of the tension for Big Mom, we'd have an easier time with everything else. Don't show her getting hit by Zeus or anything, so it looks like Sanji's only means of stopping her is with food. At the time of those chapters it looked as if the SHs could escape whenever Luffy was finished

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
Well I don't really mind Luffy taking some real punishment. I actually wish the hole Kata seemed to blow in his stomach would have mademore of an impact
The fact that it didn't leave a scar makes me think that Katakuri won't play much a role in the future, despite what some people want. Scars in this series are usually reserved for important moments

@Den_Den_Mushi

TAC says you gotta a lot to say, we need more opinions here, so feel free to share yours.
Thanks for the tag.

WCI was, by far, one of the worst arcs this series has ever produced. It was too ambitious in its scope and intended themes, meaning that it achieved none of its goals and only served to frustrate the audience with the sheer amount of BS, absurd plot conveniences and banal character interactions that ultimately went nowhere.

Sanji's arc was a chance to see him grow and change, becoming more than a chivalrous pervert who doesn't waste food. Oda established conflict between Sanji and his father/brothers over their treatment of women, their elitism and their unethical use of science. However this conflict went absolutely nowhere, somehow degenerated into being all about Zeff. Cosette, the victim of brutal domestic abuse and Sora were completely forgotten and Sanji somehow forgot that he had issues with how the Vinsmokes used their scientific prowess to create clones and use them as human shields. His interactions with Pudding degenerated into cheap gags, and the so-called 'master actress' became incapable of even the simplest tasks, fainting, swooning and shitting the bed like Boa 2.0.

I've never been Sanji's biggest fan, but I was hoping to be proven wrong and see character development as he came to terms with his past. Nope. Sanji did not achieve closure, he has not spoken a word to Judge or his brothers about Sora (do they even know or care that they have a mom?) and he has utterly failed to convince them that cooking is a worthy profession or that he can surpass them on his own merit. The Vinsmoke arc was utterly garbled, confusing, and had no clear direction after the tea party, resulting in some very forced and awkward interactions between Judge and Sanji, and his brothers still thinking of him as a loser and a failure at the end of the arc. Which makes you wonder, what the hell was all that for? What a waste of time.

This isn't even getting started on the rest of the bullshit with the BMP, who have achieved the dubious honour of actually being worse than Hody and the New Fishman Pirates.

I like the filler like when luffy beat up fodder Opera Bros, Rolling Guy, Throwing Knife boy, King and Queen,
Basskarte, Dasmarche and Nusstorte vs Germa was lit
Big Father showing off and capone shown in the filler killing some dweeb named Mobu Head
It shows Big Mom Pirates as threatening but they have a flaw just like Rox they had some infighting

Thanks for the tag.

WCI was, by far, one of the worst arcs this series has ever produced. It was too ambitious in its scope and intended themes, meaning that it achieved none of its goals and only served to frustrate the audience with the sheer amount of BS, absurd plot conveniences and banal character interactions that ultimately went nowhere.

Sanji's arc was a chance to see him grow and change, becoming more than a chivalrous pervert who doesn't waste food. Oda established conflict between Sanji and his father/brothers over their treatment of women, their elitism and their unethical use of science. However this conflict went absolutely nowhere, somehow degenerated into being all about Zeff. Cosette, the victim of brutal domestic abuse and Sora were completely forgotten and Sanji somehow forgot that he had issues with how the Vinsmokes used their scientific prowess to create clones and use them as human shields. His interactions with Pudding degenerated into cheap gags, and the so-called 'master actress' became incapable of even the simplest tasks, fainting, swooning and shitting the bed like Boa 2.0.

I've never been Sanji's biggest fan, but I was hoping to be proven wrong and see character development as he came to terms with his past. Nope. Sanji did not achieve closure, he has not spoken a word to Judge or his brothers about Sora (do they even know or care that they have a mom?) and he has utterly failed to convince them that cooking is a worthy profession or that he can surpass them on his own merit. The Vinsmoke arc was utterly garbled, confusing, and had no clear direction after the tea party, resulting in some very forced and awkward interactions between Judge and Sanji, and his brothers still thinking of him as a loser and a failure at the end of the arc. Which makes you wonder, what the hell was all that for? What a waste of time.

This isn't even getting started on the rest of the bullshit with the BMP, who have achieved the dubious honour of actually being worse than Hody and the New Fishman Pirates.
I love it when a fellow Tyrant lay down the law

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Thanks for the tag.

Thank you for the detailed in depth analysis.

I think Den Den pointed out perfectly what was wrong with the arc, summarizing all the points, and stating clearly all of its shortcomings.

I similarly feel that there were too many plot lines left unfinished, and the arc did not amount to anything special. True, there were some good moments, but overall it failed at what it should do, and had a lot more downs than ups.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Thank you for the detailed in depth analysis.

I think Den Den pointed out perfectly what was wrong with the arc, summarizing all the points, and stating clearly all of its shortcomings.

I similarly feel that there were too many plot lines left unfinished, and the arc did not amount to anything special. True, there were some good moments, but overall it failed at what it should do, and had a lot more downs than ups.
I'd put them as a lot of good concepts that were never properly explored, due to just how much was going on in the arc. There was potential, but this was always a pit-stop before Wano. Oda should've kept it at a smaller scale because we all knew the BM pirates were going to strut out of that encounter relatively fine. Half the SHs were missing and the alliance they assembled to take down another emperor was waiting for them.