Questions & Mysteries What did Luffy and Roger say?

Something silly that only Luffy logic can think of.

Maybe I'll be having "most fun in the world"?
Since Luffy craves for PKship in order to become the freest man in the world (by his own admission) I imagine the root must be searched within this concept. It probably sticks with his overall childish personality, he allegedly feels like freedom equals fun, joy, happiness. The more freedom you have the more chance you have to be experiencing that.

I think it's something like "I want to be the one who sets the whole world free"
But that is not something stupid or childish
Post automatically merged:

I think whatever he said was simple, childish and stupid sounding

My guess is his is something like what BM said the childish dream which she had and continues to move towards it.
So he probably said he wants to be president :endthis:

Maybe I missed something, but why shouldn't it be 'I'll become the King of the Pirates'?
Because roger wouldn't say that. And that goal is not something to laugh at or stupid sounding

Last edited:
The thing is, its gotta be something ridiculous to where even WB/Oden found it weird, almost childish. I love the "Use One Piece to buy the world" idea, but it could only truly happen after:

- One becomes PK
- Liberates the world from the WG

Essentially, by giving the world enough wealth, disparity of control won't exist. Blackbeard is aiming to control the world via chaos/destruction. WG does it through coordinated control. Shanks may be trying to do the same through "transaction".

Its also why I think something is going on with Shanks. The idea of Luffy/Roger saying the same words was stated in a flashback by Rayleigh in chapter 506/507 from Shanks. I personally think that with Shanks' supposed allegiance or at least openess to discuss issues with the Gorosei, plus a mysterious motivation hinted in Oden's flashback, he has entirely misunderstood Luffy's and Roger's words.

This is purely a guess, but if its about buying the world, Shanks may be thinking Luffy is attempting to buy the world and establish peace with means to control it, not to free it as luffy intends. Its also why I think Shanks is heavily based on one of the most famous Yakuza, Shimizu Jirocho: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimizu_Jirocho. Read through this and you'll see how many similarities he has with Shanks, especially his ability to resolve conflicts without violence, yet at the same time, be extremely violent as a man. This is actually part of the reason why I think Shanks is the true leader of the Underworld. The goal of it is to gain enough cash to buy the world, along with some other goal Shanks has.

If people do not believe the Shanks connection to the Yakuza, here are some other points to consider:

- His bounty is a direct Yakuza and Oicho-Kabu reference (which is where the name Yakuza comes from). There are heavy gambling connotations with the bounty
- He "bet" his arm on Luffy. The Yakuza cut their pinky as either atonement or a bet when they have no money to give. We essentially do not know what the bet is.
- He is referred to as "Kashira", which is "boss" as in a mob boss, never "Taicho", which is standard for Captain. This has been established since Chapter 1. His crew has never called him Captain.
- His epithet, "Akagami" means "Red Haired", yes. But if you change the Kanji, it also means "Dirty God". Considering Shanks' messy and carefree personality, it sort of fits. It may also hint at him being the behind the scenes leader of the Underworld (it would also just officially tie that group to a major plotline outside of Doflamingo). Considering the WG also utilizes this network and openly talk to Shanks, it works in a way. This is entirely up Oda's alley, considering Raftel and Laugh Tale.

Basically:

- Blackbeard: control the world via chaos
- The WG: control the world by any means (war and slavery still exist under the WG, even if its not chaotic)
- Shanks: control the world via peace/buying the world. Owning it.
- Luffy/Roger: Free the world by buying it, via One Piece and the Final War. They dont want to own it however, the want to set it free.

Tldr: Becoming PK/Finding One Piece isn't the end all goal for Luffy, only part of it. Shanks knows this too, but is misunderstanding Luffy and Roger. This is why Shanks as a person is super enigmatic as a pirate and why we don't understand what he himself is trying to do in the long run.

Just something fun to think about

Nope, its been revealed to be a treasure from Joy Boy. One Piece seems to be the combined wealth, history, knowledge and prophecy from Joy Boys a whole. Roger only discovered it and called it One Piece.
No it isnt said like that in series. Where did you get that info. One piece is seen as what roger was able to gather after conquering grand line what ever he collected during his journey, it was never referenced as anything else. He even says he has left everything at the end of grand line go find it. It is something associated with roger in one piece world. And joy boy is not a name everyone knows, only those who know about ancient kingdom etc know about him. He is not a public figure.

"I want to be happy/be the happiest man in the world/have the most fun/everybody to be happy, smile, whatever/etc.".
Nah, when roger said those words, oden thought it was incredible and WB said to roger is he a kid or something, what is that stupid dream basically. Same is the reaction with sabi and ace, sabo thought luffy was a crazy guy or something to have that dream.

Something related, to space maybe? It sounds childish and also incredible too.

"I want to be happy/be the happiest man in the world/have the most fun/everybody to be happy, smile, whatever/etc.".
Tbh, it doesnt explain the shocked responses from Ace/Sabo/Oden/Whitebeard tbh. Yamato is even crying from it. To me it sounds like something nearly impossible/affects the world as a whole.

For example, becoming PK is a personal goal for Luffy, its "easy" in respect to it being the goal of one man. But imagine having a goal for the whole world as a result of becoming PK? This is what I think Oda is heading towards, considering Luffy's comment to Rayleigh about the PK being the freest man in the sea, not the "most powerful". It sounds like Luffy is trying to free the world by some ridiculous means by power of deduction.

Could totally be wrong though

No it isnt said like that in series. Where did you get that info. One piece is seen as what roger was able to gather after conquering grand line what ever he collected during his journey, it was never referenced as anything else. He even says he has left everything at the end of grand line go find it. It is something associated with roger in one piece world. And joy boy is not a name everyone knows, only those who know about ancient kingdom etc know about him. He is not a public figure.
Read Oden's flashback. They found One Piece. Roger didn't amass the treasure like originally thought. Aka, it was never Roger's treasure to begin with. He just found it first.

Tbh, it doesnt explain the shocked responses from Ace/Sabo/Oden/Whitebeard tbh. Yamato is even crying from it. To me it sounds like something nearly impossible/affects the world as a whole.

For example, becoming PK is a personal goal for Luffy, its "easy" in respect to it being the goal of one man. But imagine having a goal for the whole world as a result of becoming PK? This is what I think Oda is heading towards, considering Luffy's comment to Rayleigh about the PK being the freest man in the sea, not the "most powerful". It sounds like Luffy is trying to free the world by some ridiculous means by power of deduction.

Could totally be wrong though
The way I see it:

Sabo and Whitebeard are laughing their ass off because they are mature and find those words innocent and funny. Whitebeard believes Roger is a little boy, and Sabo is excited to see how Luffy grows up.

Ace can't immediately process what he heard because it seems random at first and unexpected.

Oden is stunned because that's not something he'd expect from a man like Roger, especially in comparison to Whitebeard, since he's a great pirate and the only other person he has ever seen strong enough to match his captain. Roger saying such candide stuff is seen by Oden as something especial.

Yamato was surprised and crying because she read the diary and knew that the Pirate King said the exact same things, not necessarily for some reason inherent to the words themselves.

Becoming the freest person in the world and making everybody free could also be, but personally I find it to be too heroic for Roger and Luffy (for different reasons), a bit mature for a kid and not so laughable (but still could happen in the context of being pirates that seek treasures and those material stuff).

Becoming the freest person in the world and making everybody free could also be, but personally I find it to be too heroic for Roger and Luffy (for different reasons), a bit mature for a kid and not so laughable (but still could happen in the context of being pirates that seek treasures and those material stuff).
The part I bolded though is Luffy's actual goal. To me it just sounds like he wants everyone to feel the same way he does, to be as free as he wants to be. Luffy is always unintentionally heroic. I could totally see Luffy doing it because he wants a crazy world wide party though, but you could only do it by buying the world lol.

I'm sure its something ridiculous anyhow

Roger: I'll be a God.
Luffy: I want to be a God.

EDIT: I'll expand on this later, lol..
but I think I got a good argument here. :P

Last edited:
But that is not something stupid or childish

I think whatever he said was simple, childish and stupid sounding

My guess is his is something like what BM said the childish dream which she had and continues to move towards it.
So he probably said he wants to be president :endthis:

Because roger wouldn't say that. And that goal is not something to laugh at or stupid sounding
It seems childish if you're being realistic. Setting the world free involves turning the order upside down and crushing the world government among other things

It's gonna be childish...

In my opinion, it will be something related to a "kid story" book or some TALE.... that was probably told to Luffy as a kid about some great character and he LOVED in that storytale ... and naturally that story will go all the way back to JoyBoy, thus Roger called the island "Laugh Tale"... which is also gonna make sense for Roger being told that story as a small kid too like Luffy, because the story goes all the way back to Joyboy era..

So, it will be similar to how Montblanc Norland story was told to small kids in North Blue and Sanji learned about it

What could it be? it will be a description to that hero of the storytale... like his title or epithet... And Whitebeard recognized the story probably which is why he told Roger "are you a kid?"

So, it will be completely something NEW... and we would only know about it, once Oda NARRATES this old storytale like how he did with Norland the liar...