Character Discussion What is Yamato's Devil Fruit?

What's Yamato's Devil Fruit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
that is something i want to mention btw. someone already mentioned Inari Okami before. it is an androgynous deity depicted as woman or man and has fox as familiars.

shinto shrines are usually guarded by komainu statues with a few exceptions. Inari temples are always guarded by two foxes:

and what guards the entry of onigashima?
The entrance to an Inari shrine is typically marked by one or more vermilion torii and images of foxes, which are often adorned with red yodarekake (votive bibs) by worshippers out of respect. The color red has come to be identified with Inari because of the prevalence of its use among Inari shrines and their torii.

Inari shrines typically possess guardian figures in the form of foxes or kitsune. These guardian figures are messengers of Inari but are commonly thought of as the deity itself. The kitsune statues typically come in pairs, and each represent a male and female. Almost all Inari shrines, no matter how small, will feature a pair of these statues, usually flanking or on the altar or in front of the main sanctuary. The statues are rarely realistic; they are typically stylized, portraying a seated animal with its tail in the air looking forward. Despite these common characteristics, the statues are highly individualistic in nature and no two are exactly the same. Today, fox statues found at entrances signify the presence of an Inari shrine.

"'It [Inari] is like your own mother, it grants your wishes. In times of illness when even a doctor cannot cure you, you have no alternative but to ask Inari. Buddhas have various ranks; Dakiniten [one of Inari's many other names] is at the ten (deva) level, the level closest to that of humans. So Inari has very close relations to people.'"

im bad at coloring but... Onigashima is clearly an inari shrine with a giant skull and sword sticking into it. I think Yamato's color scheme could be like this even. She's probably white but the vermilion red is going to come into play. maybe the fire wreath will be red and she'll be white. idk

onigashima used to be an inari shrine. that seems like facts

Last edited:

turns out kaku had the Kirin fruit the whole time, it just has furigana on it saying you pronounce "Qilin" as "Jirafu" or "Giraffe". I wonder if he awakens it, will it become the mythical qilin? Is CP-O kaku even crazier than before?

this makes me dig in deeper on Inari-Okami for Yamato.

Inari can be seen as a kindly and beautiful maiden goddess.

They can be a powerful craftsman with a hammer.

They can be an androgynous bodhisattva

a withered old man

or even a fox.

Post automatically merged:

Wtf you smoking?
Kaku is a simple Giraffe.
it literally says "ushi ushi no mi: model kirin" but with furigana telling you to pronounce "kirin" as "jirafu"/"giraffe"
Post automatically merged:

only just now understanding that yamato is dressed like an inari shrine maiden with sideboob and a sumo yokozuna style sacred rope shimenawa around her waist, which means she's a vessel for the kami.

Last edited:
After pondering on this for a bit, I think she's gonna be a some sort of mythical fox, so it could be Inari (not sure Oda will make this leap though it'd be the most fitting giving the kinda importance given to the devil fruit), the Kuko (which is typically known as the strongest rank form of mythical fox excluding Inari of course which is a god), the Kiko or the Myobu. I'm leaning more towards Myobu otherwise known as Byakko [lit. White Fox] mostly coz of the name overlap with the White Tiger which is more commonly known as the Byakko.

A bit of a fun fact is that you'd typically find Myobu statues at the front of Inari shrines, (i.e. they are guardians of sorts kinda like the Komainu typically used to guard shinto shrines) and Onigashima actually has two fox statues at the entrance which are most likely Myobu statues so Oda placing those statues there may be him hinting that we'd be seeing a Myobu this arc. It's also pretty interesting that he used the Myobu statues at the front of Onigahsima as opposed to the Komainu statues, as Myobu statues are typically used to guard Inari Shrines whereas Komainu are more commonly used to guard shrines in general.

All that said though, I can't really ignore the symbolism of the Qilin/Kirin with all the JoyBoy talk and the talk of the coming of Dawn of the world (i.e. Qilin/Kirn are said to appear during the reign of an outstanding ruler or when a sage is born or dies). Another interesting thing about the Kirin is that there are many different depictions of it, so Oda has a bit of creative liberty with the design. It'd also makes sense why Kaido values it so much as the Kirin is said to rank over even the Dragon and the Pheonix.

My heart wants to go with Qilin/Kirin but my head is telling me it'd be a Myobu :feelscryingman:

Last edited: