Questions & Mysteries What makes Shanks > Mihawk?

Shisui

Never Feed The Badders Pasta
Being capable to turn his sword permanently black whereas the other two failed for all we can say.

This suggests greater CoA haki.

We have no news about the other stats.

Regardless of that, Whitebeard was WSM before Mihawk came into dominance and no more WSM while Mihawk was WSS. So we don't know how Mihawk compares in the old era, since he wasn't a thing yet.
If Zoro turns his sword permanently black in Wano....Does his hype becomes >> Rogers and WB???

Oda is not calling anyone as strongest. There is no such a thing Oda is informing the viewers from outside of the manga. He just said Kaido > Akainu in SBS one time, and when they also asked who is stronger Zoro or Sanji, he doesn't say anything, as well as he didn't say anything about who is stronger Akainu or Aokiji, or Kizaru in the SBS.

Every strongest / greatest title is just a rumor. There are no official titles and they are not like military ranks.

As well as mihawk's title is no different, it's just a rumor.

Zoro Novel: ''One marine claims that the strongest swordsman in the world is definitely Mihawk, the other marine claims it's Zoro. They witnessed their sword techniques in marineford and dressrosa. Mihawk cut down gigantic ice block. Zoro cut down gigantic Pica. They start talking about other candidates: Vista, Shanks and Ryuuma. A marine says Vista was able to fight Mihawk equally for a short moment. Ryuma is strong, but he is already dead. According to another marine, Shanks is said to be the rival of Mihawk. He faced Akainu without fear. 2 of the marines have heard that Shanks is a very strong swordsman. But another marine says it's not that Shanks showed his great technique with his sword in Marineford.''
--- Translation by Sandman

Anyone with a brain knows Yonko > Yonko commander, but they are comparing Shanks to Vista when it comes to greatest swordsman title.

Greatest swordsman title doesn't prove anything in terms of overal combat power, which includes Haki levels, durability, strength, speed, etc. etc. That's the reason people definitely believes Whitebeard or Kaido > world's greatest swordsman, there is not even a doubt that world's greatest swordsman can be equal with them. Even mihawk accepted his inferiority against Whitebeard because of this reason, mihawk's level when he achieved the top level swordsman, is still not enough to compete with Yonko level.

But Shanks is.

Shanks > world's greatest swordsman, Shanks is level of above of that useless title.

Where did I say that? Shanks is not Roger or Whitebeard.
Because Shanks' fighting style is literally, so far, a 1:1 carbon copy of Roger's as we've seen it. And all we've seen is a generic swing of the sword from both with massive haki clashes to make that assumption, unlike Mihawk who has been using his swords with complete finesse in an entirely different way and is not even remotely compatible to Shanks in this way.

Its highly contradictory to assume one without the other then. The logic isn't sound, which is why I'm saying we need to know more about Roger and Shanks before making said assumption. Neither have ever been compared to implied to have been the WSS or tried to become it.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Roger and Whitebeard were considered equal. Roger never was implied to the WSS, that blind fanboy logic to put Mihawk up on a pedestal.

Again, not a black and white comparison.
That has nothing to do with this. Shanks is a swordsman. Who has duelled mihawk.
Mihawk is the strongest swordsman.
So mihawk > shanks.
Post automatically merged:

Oda is not calling anyone as strongest. There is no such a thing Oda is informing the viewers from outside of the manga. He just said Kaido > Akainu in SBS one time, and when they also asked who is stronger Zoro or Sanji, he doesn't say anything, as well as he didn't say anything about who is stronger Akainu or Aokiji, or Kizaru in the SBS.

Every strongest / greatest title is just a rumor. There are no official titles and they are not like military ranks.

As well as mihawk's title is no different, it's just a rumor.

Zoro Novel: ''One marine claims that the strongest swordsman in the world is definitely Mihawk, the other marine claims it's Zoro. They witnessed their sword techniques in marineford and dressrosa. Mihawk cut down gigantic ice block. Zoro cut down gigantic Pica. They start talking about other candidates: Vista, Shanks and Ryuuma. A marine says Vista was able to fight Mihawk equally for a short moment. Ryuma is strong, but he is already dead. According to another marine, Shanks is said to be the rival of Mihawk. He faced Akainu without fear. 2 of the marines have heard that Shanks is a very strong swordsman. But another marine says it's not that Shanks showed his great technique with his sword in Marineford.''
--- Translation by Sandman

Anyone with a brain knows Yonko > Yonko commander, but they are comparing Shanks to Vista when it comes to greatest swordsman title.

Greatest swordsman title doesn't prove anything in terms of overal combat power, which includes Haki levels, durability, strength, speed, etc. etc. That's the reason people definitely believes Whitebeard or Kaido > world's greatest swordsman, there is not even a doubt that world's greatest swordsman can be equal with them. Even mihawk accepted his inferiority against Whitebeard because of this reason, mihawk's level when he achieved the top level swordsman, is still not enough to compete with Yonko level.

But Shanks is.

Shanks > world's greatest swordsman, Shanks is level of above of that useless title.
STRONGEST SWORDSMAN

That has nothing to do with this. Shanks is a swordsman. Who has duelled mihawk.
Mihawk is the strongest swordsman.
So mihawk > shanks.
Again, not sound logic. You are equating the two generic sword swings you've seen from Shanks to define his entire fighting style, while seeing many different attacks from Mihawk over the years.

Like I said 3 times already being the better swordsman does not indicate better combat ability overall.

I have no fucking doubt in my mind Mihawk is the strongest and best swordsman in the world. Better than Roger, Rayleigh, Shanks, etc. Do I think hes the strongest pirate or man or combatant in the world compared to these men? No. Hence his title, and hence why its not comparible at this time.

« Pirate » is a fighting style now?

So you are either a « swordsman » or a « pirate »?

So if Mihawk is a « swordsman » he can be stronger than Kaido who is a « pirate »?

I’m just trying to make sense of the new rule.

On topic: there is nothing that put Shanks above Mihawk strength wise. Which is exactly why during several years (and till this day) some people tried to create « concept » or « logic » to rule Shanks out of the World’s Strongest Swordman title.

HA001

Again, not sound logic. You are equating the two generic sword swings you've seen from Shanks to define his entire fighting style, while seeing many different attacks from Mihawk over the years.

Like I said 3 times already being the better swordsman does not indicate better combat ability overall.

I have no fuckjng doubt in my mind Mihawk is the strongest and best swordsman in the world. Better than Roger, Rayleigh, Shanks, etc. Do I think hes the strongest pirate or man or combatant in the world compared to these men? No. Hence his title, and hence why its not comparible at this time.
Er no. Its cause weve seen shanks use a sword since he was a kid until now. Mihawks vc outright says hes waiting for the swordsman who surpasses shanks.
No roger doesnt just swing a sword. Coating your blade in haki was mihawks first lesson to zoro in THE WAY OF THE SWORD using ryou was taught to zoro by Koshiro A SWORDSMAN roger could both. Roger has used more named sword moves than mihawk so far too.

guess Whitebeard and Big Mom are swordsmen exclusively and are clearly inferior to Mihawk due to your blind fanboyism.
Since when a naginata is a sword?Lmao this dude doesnt even read the story
And yeah mihawk>>big meme she is at best with her sword
There is no fanboyism oda has mihawk the wss meanwhile shanks not it s that simple not my fault u can t read or u have no brain

« Pirate » is a fighting style now?

So you are either a « swordsman » or a « pirate »?

So if Mihawk is a « swordsman » he can be stronger than Kaido who is a « pirate »?

I’m just trying to make sense of the new rule.

On topic: there is nothing that put Shanks above Mihawk strength wise. Which is exactly why during several years (and till this day) some people tried to create « concept » or « logic » to rule Shanks out of the World’s Strongest Swordman title.
?? Idk, what does Kaido or Roger or Whitebeards' titles imply? And way to cherry pick one word out of my comment, I said Pirate OR Man OR Combatant.

Er no. Its cause weve seen shanks use a sword since he was a kid until now. Mihawks vc outright says hes waiting for the swordsman who surpasses shanks.
No roger doesnt just swing a sword. Coating your blade in haki was mihawks first lesson to zoro in THE WAY OF THE SWORD using ryou was taught to zoro by Koshiro A SWORDSMAN roger could both. Roger has used more named sword moves than mihawk so far too.
Guys, then by this logic, when Zoro surpasses Mihawk, he also surpasses Roger, which is Luffy's entire goal.

It makes zero sense within the context and confines of the story.

HA001

?? Idk, what does Kaido or Roger or Whitebeards' titles imply? And way to cherry pick one word out of my comment, I said Pirate OR Man OR Combatant.

Guys, then by this logic, when Zoro surpasses Mihawk, he also surpasses Roger, which is Luffy's entire goal.

It makes zero sense within the context and confines of the story.
Luffy wants to be pirate king. A journey which he will.
Why doesnt luffy fight like roger if thats an issue ?

Since when a naginata is a sword?Lmao this dude doesnt even read the story
And yeah mihawk>>big meme she is at best with her sword
There is no fanboyism oda has mihawk the wss meanwhile shanks not it s that simple not my fault u can t read or u have no brain
Insult me all you want, but once again, not black and white. It was never implied Shanks lost to Mihawk ever or even tried to become the WSS. Its even a fan guess that Shanks is trying to become Pirate King, which has never been implied either by the story (he is the one Yonko with no clear motivations).

This is a lost cause with you guys. It would literally take Shanks being Luffy's final fight for you to get it, so see you in 10 years I guess if it happens.

S

stealthblack

so i personally think shanks is strongee than mihawk

but im not sure why.
Mihawk is the wss so he has better Swordsmanship

so is it simply shanks conquerors haki, both conquerors and observation haki or does shanks have a special fighting style that makes him stronger?
advanced coa of shanks is better then mihawk's. he may also have more stamina, endurance.

How do you land to this conclusion? Luffy is not a swordsman.
You are not understanding what I am saying. People are using the logic that Mihawk > Shanks because Shanks has only been shown to use his sword/is a swordsman. Then by that logic, Mihawk > Roger for the exact same fucking reason.

Which means when Zoro > Mihawk, apparently he's the top in the verse because of this "sound" logic and above Luffys own goal. Its a complete logical fallacy.