What was the last movie you watched?

G

Gorosei Informer

Just saw Puss In Boots 2 a couple days ago, absolutely fantastic film! Best Dreamworks film I've ever seen I think! Just magnificently written and heartfelt, quite dark and raw/real at times. Includes a realistic panic attack scene (unlike that shitty show Velma) AND apparently the plot of The Last Wish or PIB2 was inspired by Antonio Banderas having a heart attack IRL and realising his own fragile mortality! It really hits home/deep with this film, especially as its about Puss's last remaining life and being hunted by Death itself.

The villains are great, John Mulaney did fantastic as Jack Horner, such a hilariously dark and charismatic villain, Death was menacing/terrifying, savage and cunning, the 3 Bears were brilliant, endearing, hilarious (I didn't like Goldilocks at all) and Puss and Kitty had a great personal storyline, reveals and chemistry too! Antonio and Salma play off each other so well!

The soundtrack is excellent too, really enjoyed it and it sets up the next Shrek films too! There's some great easter eggs for Shrek fans and such too and its one of the best films I've seen all around in a very long time! Exactly the kind of movies we yearn to see more of in this day and age and the absolute mess Hollyweird has been!

10/10 anyway! Easily! Both this and Bullet Train have been absolutely surprise hits for me, really pleasantly surprised by both!

GUI VI

Touch The Grass
Just saw Puss In Boots 2 a couple days ago, absolutely fantastic film! Best Dreamworks film I've ever seen I think! Just magnificently written and heartfelt, quite dark and raw/real at times. Includes a realistic panic attack scene (unlike that shitty show Velma) AND apparently the plot of The Last Wish or PIB2 was inspired by Antonio Banderas having a heart attack IRL and realising his own fragile mortality! It really hits home/deep with this film, especially as its about Puss's last remaining life and being hunted by Death itself.

The villains are great, John Mulaney did fantastic as Jack Horner, such a hilariously dark and charismatic villain, Death was menacing/terrifying, savage and cunning, the 3 Bears were brilliant, endearing, hilarious (I didn't like Goldilocks at all) and Puss and Kitty had a great personal storyline, reveals and chemistry too! Antonio and Salma play off each other so well!

The soundtrack is excellent too, really enjoyed it and it sets up the next Shrek films too! There's some great easter eggs for Shrek fans and such too and its one of the best films I've seen all around in a very long time! Exactly the kind of movies we yearn to see more of in this day and age and the absolute mess Hollyweird has been!

10/10 anyway! Easily! Both this and Bullet Train have been absolutely surprise hits for me, really pleasantly surprised by both!
Have you ever thought about being a film critic? lol

G

Gorosei Informer

Have you ever thought about being a film critic? lol
Lmao nah, i didn't think I would be good enough at it nor critical enough even. Plus I'm pretty fussy on what I watch too.

I do write a lot of mostly casual reviews for restaurants, games and such though. I used to want to be a reviewer for my favourite games magazines many years ago now.

Ok, this thread convinced me I absolutely have to watch Puss in Boots!
Go for it! I finally understand why it's so entertaining and well received now tbh. There's some really great scenes, acting, characters, music and concepts in it. Just insane amount of talent and heart overall too.

Apparently it was in development hell for 11 years too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you have to watch tge first one?

G

Gorosei Informer

Do you have to watch tge first one?
Nah not at all. This film has its own separate story and fills you in pretty well.

It also directly continues on from all the Shrek films so far but there's some unexplained reason for why Puss is seperated from Shrek and co, but also there is an implied reason and theory for why he is avoiding them, due to a certain scene in the film too.

The only thing that I can think might be an issue is you won't know who Kitty Softpaws is but that's it? She's Puss's equivalent of "Catwoman" for Batman, pun intended I guess lol.

G

Gorosei Informer

Austin powers trilogy 8/10
Took getting used to but I enjoyed it
Dr Evil is fantastic and even if some of the jokes were overused there were still a bunch that were hilarious
Nice! I loved those films growing up and always wanted a 4th one. Mike Myers wanted to make it happen too but since Verne Troyer died (Mini Me's actor and I think it was suicide too, which makes it worse as well), he has changed his mind out of respect and grief for him?

They are such funny films though, very silly and fun. Mike plays the characters so well, I've quoted Austin, Dr Evil and Fat Bastard so many times in the past lol.

Some of the writing is very clever indeed, great parody or satire. It does get too self indulgent at times but they are such great, easy watch films, very immature but fun.

Nice! I loved those films growing up and always wanted a 4th one. Mike Myers wanted to make it happen too but since Verne Troyer died (Mini Me's actor and I think it was suicide too, which makes it worse as well), he has changed his mind out of respect and grief for him?

They are such funny films though, very silly and fun. Mike plays the characters so well, I've quoted Austin, Dr Evil and Fat Bastard so many times in the past lol.

Some of the writing is very clever indeed, great parody or satire. It does get too self indulgent at times but they are such great, easy watch films, very immature but fun.
Some stuff were gross to me in the first film but I got used to it as it went on
Liked the second and third one a lot more than that the first and part of it was because of mini me (RIP).
I'll probably rewatch and recommend the series to people

G

Gorosei Informer

Some stuff were gross to me in the first film but I got used to it as it went on
Liked the second and third one a lot more than that the first and part of it was because of mini me (RIP).
I'll probably rewatch and recommend the series to people
Aye it was definitely gross in places lol. Yeah no 2 is probs my fave too (the character number 2 is great too lol), 3 gets very gross too.

That's great anyway! Mini Me and Dr Evil are goated too, love them haha. I've cried laughing at some MM scenes lol.

Glad to hear you enjoyed them anyway! I thought of a reboot with Taron Egerton maybe but it might suck and not have as "ballsy humour" too.
Might be too similar to Kingsman with him too, another great series lol.