Chapter Discussion Whitebeard is still a big chad ! 999 explaination and how you feel about it ?

Do you still like Whitebeard ?

• Total voters
It makes more sense than I first thought.

Whats more, Oda made it clear that they were always planning to invade Wano and get revenge. So I don't know why people are acting like WB didn't care about Oden.

Theres the other small complaint of Whitebeard not visiting Oden which I think is a non-issue. Thats just not how Pirates operate in One Piece.

This makes more sense than I first thought.

Whats more, Oda made it clear that they were always planning to invade Wano and get revenge. So I don't know why people are acting like WB didn't care about Oden.

Theres the other small complaint of Whitebeard not visiting Oden which I think is a non-issue. Thats just not how Pirates operate in One Piece.
There is actually an indication that Whitebeard did in fact visit Oden, which most of us didn't even realize. After Roger found One Piece, him and Whitebeard met up on an Island that resembles Wano. This is before Roger disbanded the Roger Pirates, and years before the Wano conflict with Oden and Kaido. Chances are, Whitebeard saw Oden then.

There is actually an indication that Whitebeard did in fact visit Oden, which most of us didn't even realize. After Roger found One Piece, him and Whitebeard met up on an Island that resembles Wano. This is before Roger disbanded the Roger Pirates, and years before the Wano conflict with Oden and Kaido. Chances are, Whitebeard saw Oden then.
Ah. Totally forgot about that. Theres probably more pieces to the puzzle we're missing.

Given that Oda is conveying this information through flashbacks I think theres more flashbacks coming that will fill in the blanks and give us the full picture. A Rocks flashback will probably add more pieces.

All in all I have no issue with WB. This is consistent with his character and makes perfect sense based on the situation.

Ah. Totally forgot about that. Theres probably more pieces to the puzzle we're missing.

Given that Oda is conveying this information through flashbacks I think theres more flashbacks coming that will fill in the blanks and give us the full picture. A Rocks flashback will probably add more pieces.

All in all I have no issue with WB. This is consistent with his character and makes perfect sense based on the situation.
Yeah, and remember when Roger went back to Wano with Oden to get the Red Poneglyph, and made mention that if he stayed there much longer, he'd never leave the Island again?

Chance are, during that visit with Roger, Whitebeard offered Oden to come back to his ship, but Oden declined due to him now having a Family, and needing to deal with internal issues of the Country.

Like you said, there is probably more pieces to the puzzle, and by Wano's end, we'll have them all.

That they found out about Oden's death only years after and they appearently never knew Kaidou was on Wano is just weird. Oda cornered himself with Odens plot here.
But WB's decision is understandable.
You can't really compare this situation with Ace's and MF. Ace was stil alive and the WBP would die for each other - which is why they attacked MF just to save 1 member. The plan was to attack MF, save Ace and run away - while WB planned to stay back and die, so they could have escaped.
Oden was already dead for years. The casualties argument would not be the same, if there was someone they would risk their lifes for to save - but there was none. Them attacking Kaidou would only serve for them to get revenge - that's it. And this was not worth the casualties in WB's eyes.

Roger met up with Whitebeard after he disbanded the Roger Pirates

Roger met up with Whitebeard after he disbanded the Roger Pirates

Ah, I guess I misremembered the scene. But if Roger was planning on meeting up with Whitebeard, then chances are he had his Vivre Card. And the Country they met up on, does resemble Wano, so it's still possible that's where Whitebeard was when Roger went looking for him.

Last edited:
Shirohige was old and sick enough to lose to Kaido if he was about to go there. In his prime he could go and have good chances of a win. That was clear in my mind before ch. 999.

What i don't like is Roger not going before he becomes PK, when he also had Oden in his crew, he would win a lot easier. That's the plot armor i didn't like just for Luffy to be the one that has to take Kaido down.

But it's a story, no hard feelings, nonetheless it's great.

C

critical mindset

Shirohige was old and sick enough to lose to Kaido if he was about to go there. In his prime he could go and have good chances of a win. That was clear in my mind before ch. 999.

What i don't like is Roger not going before he becomes PK, when he also had Oden in his crew, he would win a lot easier. That's the plot armor i didn't like just for Luffy to be the one that has to take Kaido down.

But it's a story, no hard feelings, nonetheless it's great.
Izo's family wanted to be rescued, but they realised WBs impotence and went with the true chad adn winner instead :cheers:

Out of topic, but did anyone notice Rayleigh on the bottom right panel, where everyone crying, he's on the left just ALONE his face isn't shown and is probably isolated....
Shit I just noticed this now, it really hit Rayleigh more than ANYONE on the crew...
Rayleigh is a great side character with the implications of his journey, someone initially materialistic who got inspired by Roger to such a degree he actually turned the world upside down, but then once again became disillusioned with the world post-Roger since nothing changed after their journey, until he saw Luffy again and got nostalgic and at the same time hopeful once again.
Most people do not care about the side characters´ implied arc though.

If Whitebeard excuses are bad, wait until what Shanks has to say about wano situation. He didn't make any move yet so far.

He better show up in this arc and deal with big mom. That's the least he can do in Oden memory after all these years.

May be that's what we going to see in future chapters.

-Shanks didn't go to Wano to avenge Oden.

-Luffy has never spoken of going to Marineford to avenge Ace.

-Rayleigh showed absolutely no concern about Ace being executed.

Let the dead be dead, WB isn't gonna sacrifice a good chunk of his crew in a full scale battle vs another Yonko crew+Samurai just to avenge a man that is long gone and already left his crew anyway.

WB's crew is his treasure, they're not some expandable minions to him.

If Whitebeard excuses are bad, wait until what Shanks has to say about wano situation. He didn't make any move yet so far.

He better show up in this arc and deal with big mom. That's the least he can do in Oden memory after all these years.

May be that's what we going to see in future chapters.
Oh yeah, Shanks is a total dickbag for not running to avenge Kaido when he was eighteen or nineteen. /s

Whitebeard's character lost nothing. He is a man of good heart, only people that know nothing or little of his character would affirm the contrary...

He didn't want to interfere for the simple reason he felt that could have meant too many losses and honestly Oden wasn't even an actual legit son of his.
Oden was his sworn a brother.

I think this chapter serves to humanize WB a bit.

In his eyes he still has his living family to protect.

My only problem is that for all he knew Oden’s family could still be alive and he didn’t even try to find out.

The truth is for me the reason for not going to wano was a nonsense, Oda killed WB in MF and killed him again in a flashback lol
It would have been better something like WB had finally decided to go to wano but at that moment the news came that Ace had been handed over to the navy.