Questions & Mysteries WHO GAVE WHITEBEARD HIS SCAR ?

It's possible that in the scene where Roger and Whitebeard were drinking, after that they had one last fight before Roger set off to turn himself in. Just like how Whitebeard and Shanks started off sharing sake and talking, the same happened with Roger and Whitebeard.

It makes sense if their previous encounters always ended in a stalemate, for them to want to settle once and for all who is the strongest.

This is something thats been bugging me for a while,

This is whitebeard.

As you can see he has a scar across his chest,
because of this line i always thought it was roger who did that,

The wound i got from that guy aches when i look at your face
(note now he could actually be talking about roger for other wounds but it CANNOT be that one across his chest)

on to wb and roger

NO SCAR ON WB
After the fight

NO SCAR ON WB
and after rogers journey just before he died iirc even after roger left his crew they met one final time

WHILST IT IS OBSCURED IT SEEMS ITS NOT THERE EVEN THEN

So the question is WHO CUT WB ?
Zoro

Well you know, WB wasn't always a WSM. He is ordinary human and must start his journey from zero, so it's very possible the scar was given by people he fought in the past before he was WSM. And it's also possible he got scar when he was already a WSM, of course from the same top tier.

anime only
in the manga its not there this could well be an oversight from oda

Oda does it a lot where something is blocking wb scars like his bisento or that giant cup where he’s drinking sake. But oda has drawn wb with his scar in the manga alongside roger on a cover story. Though, how oda drew the scar overtime varies, like here the scar across wb chest is small and more like a line overtime it appeared jagged. Imo I think roger gave him the scar across his chest that he was seen with in their final meeting. And I think shanks might have gave old whitebeard his other two scars. Whitebeard mentioned to shanks that him and roger met while trying to kill each other so many times after bringing up that his scar aches when he sees shanks. I think roger and whitebeard fought in their last meeting one more time and shared some sake with each other. And this time with roger being the pirate king. If u remember in marineford the narrator also tells us this man (whitebeard) was the equal of even the pirate king so I think they fought while roger was the pirate king too one last time. Whoever gave whitebeard those scars is deeply connected with shanks and as far we know it’s not xebec / rocks because after god valley when whitebeard met oden he didn’t have the scars on his chest. So imo roger gave him the scar in the middle of his chest and the other two scars from the left and right probably came from shanks. Oda needs to reveal who gave him the scars I might ask him in an sbs. And btw that cover story matches the clothes and attire and appearance roger and whitebeard had in their last meeting when roger became pirate king and he’s drinking sake with whitebeard. Oden flashback causes alotta controversy and problems with their appearances and fights but I definitely don’t think that was the last time they fought. Whitebeard says to shanks they’ve been fighting for years so many times they tried to kill each other. Oden flashback makes it seem like they haven’t fought in a while before they met each other with roger meeting oden for the first time. But whitebeard had the scar while roger was alive in the cover story and their final meeting and I would say in his final year. I would say judging by that cover story and the final meeting and whitebeard telling shanks that his scars ache when he sees shanks I think roger used ryuo similar to oden giving kaido his scar and roger gave whitebeard the scar as for the other two scars that appeared after roger my guess would be maybe shanks fought and gave old whitebeard those scars using ryuo. When kaido gets hit with scabbards ryuo his scar ache and he’s reminded of oden when whitebeard sees shanks he probably remembers his past fights with shanks and his fights with roger and when and how he received those scars and the ryuo or cuts that gave him those scars. Either way I hope oda reveals and provide more info maybe from shanks flashback or another way. It’s definitely someone connected to shanks and I think roger gave him the first scar across his chest and shanks gave him the others. “The world strongest man” whitebeard scar aches when he sees shanks that’s pretty hype imo. Oda also had shanks clash evenly with whitebeard just like roger in their clash I definitely see a parallel. Oda might have shanks be closest to the one piece (being the pirate with the most freedom which is also luffy dream) and waiting for luffy and sitting by the throne just like he did with whitebeard. Then shanks and luffy can have their meeting when luffy become pirate king or a great pirate just like roger and whitebeard had their last meeting drinking sake.

Last edited:
My assumption was WB talked about the wound in his HEART... where once he sees Shanks scar in his face... he remembers Blackbeard who gave him a hurtful scar by killing Thatch.... that's what I've always had in mind.... and not the scar on his chest...

As for the physical scar on WB chest, I will nominate two candidates:
1- Big Mom (because Marco said: I know first hand, how dangerous you can be... so maybe they clashed in past, and Marco witnessed getting a severe injury by her... I think WB won eventually, but still, this might be what Marco eluded to)

2- Crocodile, maybe this was the achievement that made Crocodile be offered Warlord status as mentioned by a member here in forum... Also, WB skin is not as tough as Kaido/Big Mom... so maybe Croc can achieve that by normal means.

I wanted to put Roger or Xebec, BUT Roger died before WB got his scar, as for Xebec, although I still believe he is alive, I DO NOT believe he made a move after his disappearance, I think he stayed behind the radar without doing any action, not even meeting his right hand man, WB... Although, this could be a case made, where he wanted to make a comeback, and went to see WB, invited him, got rejected, faught, and WB got that scar, but Xebec couldn't subdue WB a second time... But I doubt Xebec made a move to begin with YET...

It’s roger, whitebeard talks about an actual scar aching that he received when he see’s shanks and he brings up roger right after. Oda drew whitebeard and roger on a cover story and whitebeard has that one scar on his chest. Even in their last meeting he has the scar in the anime. The manga had the cup blocking the scar. As for the other two scars that weren’t there when roger was alive I think shanks gave him those. Still hype that shanks makes “the world strongest man” scars ache lol. Roger is the only great pirate that’s directly connected to shanks and he’s the rival and equal of whitebeard who fought toe to toe with him. Whitebeard didn’t have the scars when he met oden and had already established his own crew in oden flashback which is after xebec died and after god valley. Whoever gave whitebeard those scars is either shanks or someone connected deeply to shanks or both. I say roger and shanks. First scar in the middle of his chest given to him by roger and the other to the right and left of that scar given to him by shanks. Whitebeard mentions they met while trying to kill each other. Also, notice how shanks mentioned he’s not here to fight, and how whitebeard tells his crew to let them talk and that red hair is not here to fight this time. We see when shanks arrives Marco and jozu seem like they’re used to how he uses his haki with them saying “as always his haki is overwhelming”.

Last edited:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Whitebeard tells Shanks that his scar aches when he looks at him because it reminds him of "him". "Him" is 99%, Roger. 1% is for people who believe in the theory about Rocks being Shanks's father:milaugh:

I think it was after their final 1 vs 1. Following that was that scene that we know where Roger and Whitebeard drank some sake.