General & Others Who still thinks Zoro surpasses Oden this arc ?

Would Zoro defeat Oden in 1 vs 1 combat at the end of Wano ?

• Total voters

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Not just to attack Kaido but defeat him. The open scar will be a weak spot, where Luffy's attacks will be that much more effective.
I dont think a scar will help him at all. Kaido is tough on the inside as he is tough on the outside, otherwise, Kidd's crushing would work.
Punches deal damage to insides so a scar would make no difference to Luffy. He is already skipping the exterior, he doesnt need Zoro.

I dont think a scar will help him at all. Kaido is tough on the inside as he is tough on the outside, otherwise, Kidd's crushing would work.
Punches deal damage to insides so a scar would make no difference to Luffy. He is already skipping the exterior, he doesnt need Zoro.
Clearly not as tough, that's why the strategy for the others is to bypass the outer defense layer, and when they do that they manage to do some damage to the inside.

Also it's not just about skipping the exterior, but aggravating the wound. The open scar would be an open wound, through which Kaido could bleed out the more damage is pushed in that region.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Clearly not as tough, that's why the strategy for the others is to bypass the outer defense layer, and when they do that they manage to do some damage to the inside.

Also it's not just about skipping the exterior, but aggravating the wound. The open scar would be an open wound, through which Kaido could bleed out the more damage is pushed in that region.
Tough enough for Kidd's double slam to do nothing.
With a scar he would be hitting the insides, he is already doing that.
Scar is not giving him anything new.

Luffy's hopes are on KKG, an attack that is probably as big as Kaido himself, scar is irrelevant for such.
No matter what he does, he remains ineffective.
Kaido needs to die and there is only one executioner in Wano.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
So if Zoro kills Kaido, it's the killing blow that defeats him.

So Zoro and not Luffy defeats Kaido, after Zoro and Luffy tag team Kaido. This is you belief ?
Did Zoro defeat the Punk Hazard Dragon or was it Zoro and Luffy?

This is you belief ?
I don't think like that. You can ask me: "how likely do I think it is that Zoro lands the final blow on Kaido" and I can give a probability.

I don't really have binary beliefs.

I think it's more likely that Luffy lands the final blow on Kaido for now, but I've recently updated towards Zoro doing it.

Sometime last year, I voted 20% in a ZKK poll (but mentioned that I was around 10% credence. I didn't want to vote 0% IIRC):
Lol, I gave ZKK only 20% chances:
I think I'm currently between 30% - 40% for ZKK, and for Zoro landing the final blow on Kaido.

But my best estimate of what I expect to happen is different from what I think should happen and what I want to happen.

Just because I still think it's unlikely that Zoro kills Kaido doesn't mean I'll ignore the evidence in favour of it happening.

So how about Oda saying that he will have to find a way for Luffy to defeat Kaido that goes beyond Luffy just punching really hard ?

My stance is that Zoro helps Luffy by opening Kaido's scar. The way to defeat Kaido then is for Luffy to push on the injury created by Zoro as a weak spot on Kaido's body.

No contradiction here. Luffy still defeats Kaido, and it's not just by punching harder, but by making the most out of Zoro's efforts of opening Kaido's scar.
As I said, Zoro has no connection to Kaido's scar. Let's see Zoro acknowledge it, mention it or notice it as a weakpoint first.

You just straight out think that Zoro defeats Kaido. The solution Oda finds is not to have Luffy defeat Kaido at all.
I mean I could mention that:
  • A One Piece magazine mentioned that the legend of Slaying an Eastern Dragon over Wano might be forged
  • Another mentions that the 2nd Ryuma has been born
  • Kaido wants to die at the hands of the Samurai bearing Oden's mantle
  • Yasuie foreshadowed that Zoro will be the one to take Kaido's head

I don't think Oda's words imply that Luffy has to land the final attack that fells Kaido. Whoever lands the final attack, if Luffy doesn't 1 vs 1 Kaido in the end, then Oda already found a route that doesn't involve Luffy's punches being strong enough.

Like even if Luffy lands the final attack, if the final battle is Luffy and Zoro vs Kaido, then Oda's desire would have been satisfied.

This is the very reason why Oda didn't allow Zoro to land Hiryuu Kaen on Kaido. It would have been too devastating too soon in the long run.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I think he’ll be able to launch an oden level attack at the cost of nearly draining himself dry through enma.

He won’t surpass oden though. The one Oda set up as the next Oden is Luffy
Funny that. Before 970 that's what everyone said about oden himself. That he only scarred kaido because of enma using all his haki in a last ditch effort to cut Kaido.

Nope. Kaidos words in 993 on how the scabbards are too weak to open the scar and how their will never be a monster samurai like oden are for zoro not luffy

And when he opens that wound it will be in santoryu and their will be a third mark. It won't just be enma.

Funny that. Before 970 that's what everyone said about oden himself. That he only scarred kaido because of enma using all his haki in a last ditch effort to cut Kaido.

Nope. Kaidos words in 993 on how the scabbards are too weak to open the scar and how their will never be a monster samurai like oden are for zoro not luffy

And when he opens that wound it will be in santoryu and their will be a third mark. It won't just be enma.
You know Santoryu attacks still only show an “X” typically too. You can see that with purgatory onigiri.

Kaido specifically mentions that there won't be a samurai of the likes of Oden again, when the scabbards combined failed to even open the old wound. That's some huge foreshadowing for Zoro right there to get a comparison to Oden by Kaido.

I believe that many of you don't think he will achieve something like that because you consider Oden a full fledged top tier (yonko/admiral). I disagree. I think he was a monster that had top tier attack power but was still overall lacking in some areas to be considered a full fledged top tier (yonko/admiral). Not far behind but still not there.

There are various reasons for why I think this is the case but I understand that Oden level can be a bit controversial.

I believe that Luffy is coming out of this arc as a top tier (a great pirate, who will be ready to meet Shanks) and Zoro, who is his right hand man, will come out as someone not far behind his captain, mantainig the portrayal of the Vice Captains (just like Ray wasn't far behind Roger and Benny is not far behind Shanks, strenght wise).