Current Events Why do People Expect Sanji to Solo a Calamity?

Sanji vs Calamities?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Law, Usopp, Franky could all hear it. It could be heard at great distance, didn't take any special ability to hear it.

I mean literally Sanji is shown to discover the abilities for the first time and be unaware of them as they unfold. It's a test run, he has no idea what he's doing.
Again how does that prove that it can be heard across the entire city?

All abilities he detected were automatic. It makes no difference whether he could switch it on himself or not.

Sanji got beaten up at least “a few dozen minutes” ago. That is plenty of time for him to recover, especially since he hasn’t fought anyone strong in the mean time. While on the other hand Queen, as far as we know, has been fighting Marco (and to a much lesser extent, Chopper and everyone else) non-stop.

He’s got a bruise from getting beaten up

It’s not much of an injury we’re talking about here.

No, but he does have a RS that offers serious protection, so I think it evens up in that respect.

Plus from the looks of it backup from at least one other strong fighter.

I find it a lot easier to dismiss damage taken from a Flying Six member “a few dozen minutes ago“ as irrelevant than it is to dismiss whatever damage Queen has been taking against Whitebeard’s right hand man in the meantime.

Unless we’re trying to argue that while that the fight in the live floor actually finished ages ago, Marco has been beaten and King and Queen have just lazed about for no reason. As I have no reason to think that, I will continue to believe that there is an ongoing fight of Marco and co vs King and Queen, where Marco is doing serious damage. Since that’s exactly what we’ve seen happen.

Any damage Chopper’s done I don’t much care about.
But he was not using the RS, he was putting aside all the protection he's capable of to get himself injured by BM.

If Sanji was wearing the RS and using Haki to defend himself, i'd have been more inclined to side with your take that relies solely on comparing power levels between Marco and Black Maria.

Queen is still in a 2 vs 1 scenario against Marco, and he didn't feel he got pushed enough yet to even go Hybrid because of these favorable circumstances, with whatever damage he took being neutralized by his Zoan regeneration to a great extent.

Sanji putting on the RS will not work to retroactively take care of the damage he took the way Queen already took advantage of his DF defensive buffs at the time + had the regeneration to handle whatever bypassed those.

Sanji will obviously get his fight against Queen, I've said it many times before, though, I'm not really sure that it's going to be a 1v1–it could end up being 2v1 with Chopper assisting Sanji against Queen's plague diseases. Chopper has quite an awful amount of reasons to fight against Queen, on top of that Chopper doesn't really have an appropriate opponent for himself, the beast pirate's doctor isn't a fighter as far as I can tell, if they have any in first place.

Oda had more than 10 years to give shine to Sanji, that's a fucking decade, a decade for god's sake, Especially in WCI. Just remember how certain everyone was that Sanji will get at least one fight in his own arc, yes, maybe not important fight, but a one fight nonetheless. Since Oda refused to give Sanji one god danm fight in his own arc, then why should the fans be certain that he will in Wano? WCI was thematically and narratively more important for Sanji's character than Wano will ever be. Oda has demonstrated that "Sanji" isn't part of the main cast in Oda's mind, in post-timskip the main cast is Luffy, Zoro and maybe Nami if you're a 12 year old Wanker.
"WCI was thematically and narratively more important for Sanji's character than Wano" Which is exactly why he'll fight in Wano lol. Characters dont get fights in their own arcs. Was Enies Lobby A Sanji arc? Was Alabasta a Sanji arc? No They were Strawhat arcs...... Wano is an arc for the Crew..... Again People underestimate the importance of group panels like these. This is Oda literally saying, "the strawhats will get fights this arc"

At first I thought the match up would be Zoro vs King and Sanji vs Queen because that's Oda's usual prerogative. Then there was significant build up to Zoro facing Kaido.

Once Zoro was on the roof, I thought it would be cool to see Sanji vs King. I still believe that Zoro will be back to face Kaido. Since Marco has been fighting King and Queen aren't they both weakened? If Sanji fights King, is he technically soloing him since Marco has dealt damage to King beforehand? I am not good with power levels or scaling. If Sanji fights a weakened King, would he still be the 3rd strongest Strawhat?

@Kuro Ashi: I think Drake and Apoo have more build up to face Queen as opponents than to face each other.

Drake:
  • He is the man that Queen wanted to kill.
  • Queen has already tried to kill him.
  • He's a traitor to the Beast Pirates.
  • Zoro entrusted him with the Live Floor.
    • This included Chopper's protection.
Apoo:
  • He was introduced as having a good relationship with Queen.
  • Queen abandoned him.
  • Queen turned the entire Live Floor against him.
  • He seems to be reconsidering his allegiance to the Beast Pirates.
  • The rest of the Beast Pirates on the Live Floor seem to have turned against Queen.

Drake in particular has more buildup with Queen than Sanji. Sanji takes precedence over him by virtue of being a main character, so I expect him to land the final blow. However, I'm not sure Oda abandon the setup for those matches.

I do still acknowledge the possibility that Drake and Apoo's opponents are each other. Being frank, I guess that is more likely than both of them hanging up on Queen, but I'm not confident either way.

@Garp the Fist what do you think?
X Drake asked Zoro to let him handle the situation, aka dealing with Apoo when Brook and the others were making comments that it's going to be tough after Apoo got back up from Zoro's attack.

He straight out chomps Apoo as he's making that claim, and he's been part of clashes with Apoo since more than 20 chapters ago, so i don't think he's going to get a more fitting opponent.

Especially since X Drake's priority is whatever business Sword has, so i think that after Apoo is dealt with, as the other match-ups happens he's going to make moves in that regard. I expect some interaction with CP9 as well before the arc ends for him, for us to see how the dynamic between those two groups plays out.

He sure has, but him fighting anyone who isn't Commander level in this arc just doesn't make any sense.He got skirmishes with Daifuku and Oven in WCI before he even got the raid suit.It's only natural that he is going for bigger things.
I think yes and no. He has dealt with enemies the level of flying 6, but he hasn't actually defeated any.
So while going for bigger things makes sense, him actually defeating a flying 6 would be a step-up from his current power-scale.

wouldn't endorse a position that Sanji cannot face Queen because he's too weak.
Solo =\= face

Sanji doesn't have the feats to suggest he's that strong, but:
  • Raid Suit Sanji looked stronger than Page One
    • This was while he was only testing out the Raid Suit's enhancements.
This is flawed. Looked Stronger? If you ignore context, sure
Testing RS is completely irrelevant because testing or not won't change his invisibility, it won't change his durability nor his floatation devices. These things are automatic.

There is a clear path for Raid Suit Sanji to display greater combat ability than what he showed against Pay Pay
  • Sanji did not use any named techniques.
  • Sanji did not use Diable Jambe.
  • Sanji did not use Hell's Memories.
This I agree with. However, it stacking up for him to solo Queen is still unfounded . Not to mention he will be scaled according to his siblings specifically Ichiji and Niji who base Sanji didn't show superiority to.

If the above are not sufficient to boost Sanji to Queen level, then Sanji can power up even further:
  • The Vinsmoke exoskeleton
  • His genetic enhancements
These are all just assumptions

guess you could say that current Sanji is below the Calamities, but there's a very viable pathway for him to become strong enough to defeat them.

Oda doesn't have to take this pathway, but it's an option open to him.
Like I mentioned above, this pathway is still tied to his siblings.
>Judge in the RS was completely dominating Sanji.
> You'd have to claim that RS Sanji would not only close that gap but also supercede it to the point of low-mid diffing Judge.
> Base Sanji didn't show superiority to Ichiji nor Niji.
> You'd have to claim that Base Sanji would be able to low diff base Ichiji...same diff translates to when they put on the RS.

Do you think the above required assumptions have been implied by Oda in anyway?

>Now the most important point: RS Sanji getting knocked out by King in a single attack.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Let alone two?

Are the Sanji vs King and Queen people serious? Is this some elaborate shitpost I'm missing out on? Is this coping because Sanji hasn't defeated a significant combatant solo in the New World?

I'm pretty flabbergasted. Luffy defeating Linlin in WCI seemed to have more going for it than Sanji taking down both Calamities.

Disclaimer
I don't actually hate Sanji and I'm annoyed at Sanji bashing. This is me being (perhaps brutally) honest.

As usual, I tag a lot of people for my posts. If you want to be removed from my tag lists, let me know. Likewise, if you want to be added.

Introduction
Leaving aside Sanji taking down both Calamities, I'm not confident that Sanji will defeat any Calamity solo. I have been expecting Sanji to do this for a while, but I think it's time I reevaluate. There are three broad reasons I'm losing confidence in Sanji soloing a calamity:
  1. Increased scepticism of the meta-narrative
  2. Powerscaling might actually matter?
  3. Viability of a solo matchup given the events of the Live Floor

Increased Scepticism of the Meta Narrative
There's the traditional argument that Sanji will solo a Calamity (presumably Queen) because Queen feels the template of Sanji's traditional opponent:
  • He's a bit goofy.
  • Both love women (particularly Komurasaki)
  • He has a rivalry with Zoro's presumptive opponent (King).
  • He knows Sanji's father and addressed Sanji as "Judge's Son".
  • He mentioned the need to take down the Strawhats' strongest combatants.
  • He's the one that sent the Tobi Roppo after Sanji.

I agree that Queen is Sanji's presumptive opponent. However, recent events have undermined my confidence in Sanji defeating Queen solo.

Particularly:
  • Oda had Linlin defeat Usopp's presumptive opponent (Pay Pay).
  • Oda had Linlin defeat Nami's presumptive opponent (Ulti).
  • Oda had Carrot lose to her presumptive opponent (Perospero) and seems to have entirely discarded the opportunity for her to get vindicated in a rematch, instead of setting up someone else (Nekomamushi) to defeat them.

Meta/pattern-based arguments are looking less credible to me seeing as Oda appears to have consistently defied such patterns.

Nami vs Ulti in particular is very stark:

Nami had far more buildup with Ulti as her opponent than Sanji does with either of the Calamities:
  • Ulti defeated her already.
  • While Ulti was threatening her she declared that Luffy will not stop until he becomes Pirate King.
  • Ulti spent a while chasing her.
  • She struck down Ulti with her lightning (twice).
  • Ulti hurt Tama
  • She vowed that she will defeat Ulti.
  • She resolved herself to stop running and challenged Ulti head on.
And yet Nami doesn't get to defeat Ulti solo. Linlin took out Ulti. If Ulti recovers, she would likely be significantly weakened.

If Oda is willing to prevent Nami from taking down Ulti by herself despite the extensive build-up for Nami vs Ulti, then I don't think the superficial setup for Sanji vs Queen/King is sufficient to grant Sanji a solo victory.

The same argument that predicts Sanji soloing Queen also predicted:
  • Usopp soloing Page One
  • Nami soloing Ulti
  • Carrot defeating Perospero
  • Zoro never fighting Kaido
  • Zoro soloing King
    • In fairness, this might still happen.
This argument has a horrendous track record, so I'm pretty dubious of Sanji soloing Queen based on this argument alone.

Powerscaling Might Actually Matter?
Here I take my L. I've long been an advocate that narrative trumps powerscaling, and characters will become as strong as Oda needs them to be for the narrative. Well, I took a big fat L here:
  • Carrot was not strong enough to defeat Perospero and so she lost.
    • Someone that's actually strong enough (Nekomamushi) is facing Perospero instead.
  • Usopp was not strong enough to defeat Pay Pay and so Linlin defeated (or at least significantly nerfed) him.
  • Nami was not strong enough to defeat Ulti and so Linlin defeated (or at least significantly nerfed) her.

By his current showings, Sanji is not strong enough to defeat Queen even when wearing the Raid Suit.

Sanji's best showings with the Raid Suit is failing to even damage a Tobi Roppo:

And being able to withstand an attack from one:

Sanji has nothing suggesting he's actually strong enough to defeat Queen. Before I didn't think that matters because I thought the narrative trumps powerscaling, but now I think powerscaling matters.

As far as powerscaling goes, Sanji has an absolutely horrendous track record in the New World:
  • He teamed up with Jimbe to take down Wadatsumi
  • He was treated by fodder like Law at Punk Hazard
  • He was on the back foot against a Vergo that was massively holding back
    • He wasn't using his Bamboo (his main weapon)
    • He wasn't using hardening
    • He didn't appear to be using Rokushiki techniques (bar possibly Tekkai)
  • He was fodderised by Doflamingo
  • He defeats Sheepshead together with Brook
    • Even then, Sheepshead is a fodder headliner
  • He failed to defeat Judge
    • Or even be depicted as stronger than him
  • He was never demonstrated to be above all his siblings
    • At the end of WCI, Niji still had to save him and mocked him for being way too slow.
  • He did not defeat any of the Charlotte siblings in WCI
  • He failed to defeat Page One even with his Raid Suit power-up
    • Page One has been portrayed as the weakest of the Tobi Roppo

Sanji's last solo victory against a significant opponent of note was pretimeskip. His combat ability presentation today has not been good. If powerscaling actually matters — if the narrative does not trump it — then I have no reason to believe that Sanji is strong enough to defeat Queen.

Viability of a Solo Matchup
Leaving aside the narrative and powerscaling counterarguments, I'm not sure the story actually allows Sanji to have a solo battle against any of the Calamities.

On the Alliance's side, we'll have:
  • Zoro
  • Marco
  • Sanji
  • Nekomamushi
  • Drake
  • Hyougoro
  • Kawamatsu
  • Izo
  • Chopper
  • The Yakuza Bosses

On the Beast Pirates side, we'll have:
  • King
  • Queen
  • Perospero
  • Apoo
    • He might defect or even go solo

I'll try and present the best-case scenario for Sanji:

• Hyougoro and the Yakuza bosses deal with fodder or recover.
    • They don't fight anyone of note.
  • Nekomamushi fights Perospero
  • Chopper treats Zoro
  • Drake fights Apoo
  • Marco (or Zoro + Izo) deal with King

This still leaves at least Sanji and Kawamatsu to take on Queen.

And honestly speaking, I don't expect this to be how it shakes out. For entirely separate reasons, I doubt Zoro — even a brutally injured Zoro — would tag-team a swordsman with another one. FIghting despite injuries that would cripple anyone else is his entire shtick.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

There may be others, but this isn't supposed to be a Zoro thread, so I'll stop here for now.

I also don't think Drake will fight Apoo. Queen backstabbing and discarding Apoo was really highlighted, and I got the impression that Apoo was reconsidering his entire allegiance to the Beast Pirates:

So I'm actually expecting Sanji to face Queen alongside some combination of (Drake, Kawamatsu and Izo).

Perhaps I'm wrong on Zoro and he'll face King with backup from Izo, and I'm wrong on Apoo and he'll face Drake, but that still leaves Kawamatsu unaccounted for. Ultimately, I don't think there's a viable configuration of matchups on the Live Floor that permits Sanji to defeat Queen solo.

I expect Sanji to land the last hit, and maybe his support would be defeated along the way and the match would end in a 1 vs 1. I can see a Doflamingo vs Luffy and Law situation being plausible. That still isn't a solo match though.

Conclusions
At this point, I do not foresee the story following developments that would permit Sanji to defeat Queen solo.

Summary
To summarise what I've said above:
  • The sort of narrative arguments that predict Sanji soloing a Calamity have a terrible track record
  • Oda seems to actually give a damn about powerscaling
  • Sanji's powerscaling portrayal does not suggest that he can handle a Calamity
  • I don't think there's a viable configuration of matchups on the Live Floor that would permit Sanji a solo battle vs a Calamity.
Because Oda has a debt to us.
And this debt can only be paid in Calamity's blood.
King's blood, to be more specific.
And we want our payment. It's long overdue.

And why tf do you expect us to like that ?

You want us to enjoy Sanji kicking around a fat fuck instead of fighting a serious opponent.

Sanji vs Queen dont look good regardless.
Ok, I will say this..... I think Sanji will get a brief hype moment of fighting both like Marco did,
Because this sequence with Marco here reminded me a lot Sanji tbh. And I think Sanji has the facilities to pull this off, especially with the Raid Suit. Infact this gives me inspiration for a thread

But yea Ultimately Oda will match Sanji up with Queen.

"WCI was thematically and narratively more important for Sanji's character than Wano" Which is exactly why he'll fight in Wano lol. Characters dont get fights in their own arcs. Was Enies Lobby A Sanji arc? Was Alabasta a Sanji arc? No They were Strawhat arcs...... Wano is an arc for the Crew..... Again People underestimate the importance of group panels like these. This is Oda literally saying, "the strawhats will get fights this arc"
Did I say that Sanji will not get his fight in Wano??? No at all, I've been saying that Sanji will get his fight against Queen since the day Queen was introduced.

It doesn’t matter whether Queen is letting himself get hit or not, the fact is that named attacks from a guy like Marco are heaven and earth above nameless knuckle-duster punches from Black Maria and a blacktooth/hooker combo kick. Queen’s also been fighting non-stop while Sanji’s had a couple of breaks to recover.
It's the same as when both Luffy and Donflamingo were injured, Oda was to show that both fighters can't fresh

Ok, I will say this..... I think Sanji will get a brief hype moment of fighting both like Marco did,
Because this sequence with Marco here reminded me a lot Sanji tbh. And I think Sanji has the facilities to pull this off, especially with the Raid Suit. Infact this gives me inspiration for a thread

But yea Ultimately Oda will match Sanji up with Queen.

Wow omg so hype.....no.

Sanji vs King. If Oda wanted him to fight Queen....he'd have set it up with the numerous amount of chances he had.

- Would it have been so hard for Oda to make Queen interested in Momo and Kinemon....to show opposing interests to Sanji

- Or have Queen stop Sanji from saving Momo instead of King

- Or have Sanji interested in the Oni instead of the flying gifters

- Or have Queen call Maria whilst she had Sanji captive

Why does Oda do all of this when he wants Sanji to fight Queen ? Why does Toei give King Diable Jambe, a Red suit and kicking techniques....Coicidence ? Yes from the people who know way more about the Wano end then us....the viewers.

Ffs why make King's DF flight orientated when he's gonna be fighting Zoro. Why give Sanji a flame proof suit and extra flight powers...

Ignore all the signs for stupid fanmade matchup notions that are gonna get shat on anyways .

What do people mean by solo?

It’s like Luffy and Kaido, Sanji will 1 vs 1 Queen, but Queen has also taken damage from a load of people beforehand. So far only Jinbei and Franky can really be said to be 100% soloing an opponent, we’ll see whether any Scabbards help those two out
Sanji has taken damage from BM and its superficial damage Queen took. We seen him after Marco attacks. He looked like he didn't even fight anybody. None of them has taken significant damage to call it a nerf.
Post automatically merged:

Sanji got beaten up at least “a few dozen minutes” ago. That is plenty of time for him to recover, especially since he hasn’t fought anyone strong in the mean time. While on the other hand Queen, as far as we know, has been fighting Marco (and to a much lesser extent, Chopper and everyone else) non-stop.

He’s got a bruise from getting beaten up

It’s not much of an injury we’re talking about here.

No, but he does have a RS that offers serious protection, so I think it evens up in that respect.

Plus from the looks of it backup from at least one other strong fighter.

I find it a lot easier to dismiss damage taken from a Flying Six member “a few dozen minutes ago“ as irrelevant than it is to dismiss whatever damage Queen has been taking against Whitebeard’s right hand man in the meantime.

Unless we’re trying to argue that while that the fight in the live floor actually finished ages ago, Marco has been beaten and King and Queen have just lazed about for no reason. As I have no reason to think that, I will continue to believe that there is an ongoing fight of Marco and co vs King and Queen, where Marco is doing serious damage. Since that’s exactly what we’ve seen happen.

Any damage Chopper’s done I don’t much care about.
Why you overblowing Queen injuries. He looked fine the last time we seen him and he not fighting Marco by himself. Marco been getting jumped. Sanji got whaled on by Black maria and Sanji not a Zoan he not healing that quick. Lets see how queen looks the next time we see him. I doubt he has sustained anything significant to call it a nerf.