Character Discussion Why Does Kaido Call Yamato "Son"?

Why does Kaido call Yamato "son"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is one of those situations where I need to see how it all plays out in the end. Is Oda going the woke route all of the sudden? It is 2021 so I suppose hes changing with the times. I dont know, we'll see by the end of Wano. Whether its because Yamato wants to be reffered as Oden or they are really a man at heart. Heck I call kiku she when she was born male. For Yamato.. its tough.
Kiku and izo are still a peculiar case.. they were like that from the get go.. but yamato apparently got it hammered in her by Kaido.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Kaido called Yamato "Son" even after her gender reveal:
I know but I'm talking about when they meet. You never know with Oda. He already put aside more or less Kaido's suicidal thoughts, Oden's death being about the One Piece.

I just wouldn't be surprised if he calls her daughter when they talk to each other.

To me it doesn't make much sense that he calls her son. Might have to do with his idea of strength and heritage, tradition or whatever.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
In my opinion Kaido does care way more about his daughter and her wishes then she is aknowledging. He is kinda the other side to Big mum, like Kid is to Luffy.

Big Mum has many children, which kinda love her, but she has no regret in eating them up. At the same time, she glorifies her family and wants to grow it up. But her Kids by themself, have no real worth for her (except for a few special ones). Still, she gets loved as mother.

Kaido has only one child, his daughter. She obviously states she hates him. She is fine with him getting killed. But at the same time, she is pretty much in good shape, she has no obvious big scares, everyone is refusing to take her down (i know she seems strong too) and she was at least free enough to roam in Wano and befriend Ace, without Kaido noticing or him not interferring.

So i assume he does care about his daughter. Maybe he is kinda abuse and goes to far with his kind of parenting (but lets honestly take a look at Garp to compare), but he does care and love. Counterparting BMs relationship to her kids. So i assume he calls her Son because she is wishing so. Also i guess he knew Ace was in Wano, but since he didnt brought up much trouble, he oversaw it in favor of his daughter.

I still can imagine he originaly was on his way to Marineford to fullfill the wish of his daughter of saving Ace. And since he failed that, she is hating him so much.

Kaido (and all the other Beast Pirates) address Yamato as Kaido's son:

Why?

I think there are two main plausible reasons:
  1. Kaido is actually progressive and is respecting her gender identity.
  2. Kaido wanted a son instead of a daughter and so he raised Yamato as one.
    • Yamato wanting to be Oden was a mutually beneficial arrangement for them in that regard.

I think Kaido being a progressive father would grant some much needed nuance to his character and make his character more "rich". However, it doesn't fit his archetype and other than the fact that he respects Yamato's desire to be addressed as a man, there's nothing suggesting that he would be the type of character to do so.

He also doesn't respect Yamato's self identity as Oden.

He beat her up for telling him that she wants to be Oden:

He was generally very abusive and regularly beat her up whenever she defied him:

He imprisoned her on Onigashima:

He regards her as an idiot:

Given that Yamato's desire to be regarded as a man is entirely a product of her self identity as Oden, an Kaido doesn't respect that self identity in the slightest, I don't think he would respect her preferred pronouns either.

On the other hand, I think there's quite a bit of circumstantial evidence that could support #2.

Kaido wants to make her the Shogun of New Onigashima:

His conception of a "Shogun" may be a valiant warrior (like Oden). Perhaps some pervasive Wano scepticism was involved, and this was a role he wanted his son to fulfil.

Kaido appears to have trained her to be a warrior as she can perfectly execute his signature technique:

What do you guys think?

Kaido is woke, that is why Zoro will make him go broke. :kata:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
In my opinion Kaido does care way more about his daughter and her wishes then she is aknowledging. He is kinda the other side to Big mum, like Kid is to Luffy.

Big Mum has many children, which kinda love her, but she has no regret in eating them up. At the same time, she glorifies her family and wants to grow it up. But her Kids by themself, have no real worth for her (except for a few special ones). Still, she gets loved as mother.

Kaido has only one child, his daughter. She obviously states she hates him. She is fine with him getting killed. But at the same time, she is pretty much in good shape, she has no obvious big scares, everyone is refusing to take her down (i know she seems strong too) and she was at least free enough to roam in Wano and befriend Ace, without Kaido noticing or him not interferring.

So i assume he does care about his daughter. Maybe he is kinda abuse and goes to far with his kind of parenting (but lets honestly take a look at Garp to compare), but he does care and love. Counterparting BMs relationship to her kids. So i assume he calls her Son because she is wishing so. Also i guess he knew Ace was in Wano, but since he didnt brought up much trouble, he oversaw it in favor of his daughter.

I still can imagine he originaly was on his way to Marineford to fullfill the wish of his daughter of saving Ace. And since he failed that, she is hating him so much.
Yamato was crying when she realised that Kaido was really going to kill her with the exploding cuffs:

You have it the other way around, it's Yamato that wanted to be loved by Kaido.

I think you're going too far in trying to humanise Kaido; he's never been depicted as a caring or loving father.