Character Discussion Why Does Kaido Call Yamato "Son"?

Why does Kaido call Yamato "son"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kaido (and all the other Beast Pirates) address Yamato as Kaido's son:

Why?

I think there are two main plausible reasons:
  1. Kaido is actually progressive and is respecting her gender identity.
  2. Kaido wanted a son instead of a daughter and so he raised Yamato as one.
    • Yamato wanting to be Oden was a mutually beneficial arrangement for them in that regard.

I think Kaido being a progressive father would grant some much needed nuance to his character and make his character more "rich". However, it doesn't fit his archetype and other than the fact that he respects Yamato's desire to be addressed as a man, there's nothing suggesting that he would be the type of character to do so.

He also doesn't respect Yamato's self identity as Oden.

He beat her up for telling him that she wants to be Oden:

He was generally very abusive and regularly beat her up whenever she defied him:

He imprisoned her on Onigashima:

He regards her as an idiot:

Given that Yamato's desire to be regarded as a man is entirely a product of her self identity as Oden, an Kaido doesn't respect that self identity in the slightest, I don't think he would respect her preferred pronouns either.

On the other hand, I think there's quite a bit of circumstantial evidence that could support #2.

Kaido wants to make her the Shogun of New Onigashima:

His conception of a "Shogun" may be a valiant warrior (like Oden). Perhaps some pervasive Wano scepticism was involved, and this was a role he wanted his son to fulfil.

Kaido appears to have trained her to be a warrior as she can perfectly execute his signature technique:

What do you guys think?

First of all can we appreciate cinera for the essay that really done well in such sort of time. Gotta respect a lot.

About yamato called he rather than she. Didn't other beast pirates like Black Maria call her Young master ?( i didn't knew about the katakana/hiragana of it, but usually it is called bocchan or waka danna just like doffy for male, and ojou sama or mistress in english for female)

First one that i can think of is Kaido wanted a son but Yamato came in. So Kaido told beast pirates people that yamato is his son when it supposed to be his daughter. And when you in some of organization of crime like yakuza, the boss order are absolute. So you gotta agree with that.

Secondly didn't Yamato say Boku rather than watashi/atashi (i knew that boku also can be said by women but when i talk with japanese people they said that boku usually used by man than woman). I think its the same one with Okiku, Yamato is female at body but man in heart.

Its very sensitive topic nowadays.

Peroroncino

πŸ…·πŸ…°πŸ…»πŸ…° πŸ…ΌπŸ…°πŸ…³πŸ†πŸ…ΈπŸ…³
β€Ž
First of all can we appreciate cinera for the essay that really done well in such sort of time. Gotta respect a lot.

About yamato called he rather than she. Didn't other beast pirates like Black Maria call her Young master ?( i didn't knew about the katakana/hiragana of it, but usually it is called bocchan or waka danna just like doffy for male, and ojou sama or mistress in english for female)

First one that i can think of is Kaido wanted a son but Yamato came in. So Kaido told beast pirates people that yamato is his son when it supposed to be his daughter. And when you in some of organization of crime like yakuza, the boss order are absolute. So you gotta agree with that.

Secondly didn't Yamato say Boku rather than watashi/atashi (i knew that boku also can be said by women but when i talk with japanese people they said that boku usually used by man than woman). I think its the same one with Okiku, Yamato is female at body but man in heart.

Your sig keeps staring at me, it's creepy:pepestrike:

The answer is probably pretty simple (and pragmatic): Oda wanted to throw in a huge curve ball with Yamato actually being a female and obviously couldn't let Kaido reveal that beforehand. Therefore he let Kaido call her "my son" and probably thought of an explanation for that afterwards ("always wanted a son" or something like that).

As for the heated "Yamato's gender" debate: She's a woman, plain and simple.

This is not a situation like we had with Kiku, who we rightfully all call she/her, despite her being a biological male.

Yamato ONLY ever wanted to become Oden, because she idolized him so much, that her entire goal in life shifted towards becoming "Kozuki Oden 2.0".

She never wanted to become "a man", because she didn't feel like a woman or was unhappy with her gender in general.

She only ever wanted to fully copy another identity, who just happened to be a male by chance.

That's very obsessive cosplaying, but it's no trans-matter at all. In fact, anyone who really insists on calling Yamato he/him does the whole trans-community a huge disfavor by bacically mocking their entire legitimacy imho.

The situation with Kiku is entirely different.

It's clear that Oda is serious with it by actually treating her like a "true" female (behavior, appearance etc.) and having everyone respect that, with not a single soul questioning it and Oda himself not making any kind of joke about it.

In Yamato's case, Oda has treated her whole "Oden shtick" like a joke from the beginning - everyone being shocked about her calling herself Oden, Momo loving her tits and her running around with a bombshell female appearance, her actually acting all girlish the vast majority of the time etc.

Imho it's 100% clear that this is not in any way intended to be a serious gender issue.

Last edited:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
The answer is probably pretty simple (and pragmatic): Oda wanted to throw in a huge curve ball with Yamato actually being a female and obviously couldn't let Kaido reveal that beforehand. Therefore he let Kaido call her "my son" and probably thought of an explanation for that afterwards ("always wanted a son" or something like that).

As for the heated "Yamato's gender" debate: She's a woman, plain and simple.

This is not a situation like we had with Kiku, who we rightfully all call she/her, despite her being a biological male.

Yamato ONLY ever wanted to become Oden, because she idolized him so much, that her entire goal in life shifted towards becoming "Kozuki Oden 2.0".

She never wanted to become "a man", because she didn't feel like a woman or was unhappy with her gender in general.

She only ever wanted to fully copy another identity, who just happened to be a male by chance.

That's very obsessive cosplaying, but it's no trans-matter at all. In fact, anyone who really insists on calling Yamato he/him does the whole trans-community a huge disfavor by bacically mocking their entire legitimacy imho.

The situation with Kiku is entirely different.

It's clear that Oda is serious with it by actually treating her like a "true" female (behavior, appearance etc.) and having everyone respect that, with not a single soul questioning it and Oda himself not making any kind of joke about it.

In Yamato's case, Oda has treated her whole "Oden shtick" like a joke from the beginning - everyone being shocked about her calling herself Oden, Momo loving her tits and her running around with a bombshell female appearance, her actually acting all girlish the vast majority of the time etc.

Imho it's 100% clear that this is not in any way intended to be a serious gender issue.

She was introduced as Kaido's daughter by the narrator as well:

Probably something along these lines

Yamato: β€œCall me son from now on for I am oden.”
Kaido: β€œBe whatever the fuck you want to be, I’ll even call you Son, but I’m not calling you Oden.”