Character Discussion Why Does Kaido Call Yamato "Son"?

Why does Kaido call Yamato "son"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
β€Ž
Yamato was crying when she realised that Kaido was really going to kill her with the exploding cuffs:

You have it the other way around, it's Yamato that wanted to be loved by Kaido.

I think you're going too far in trying to humanise Kaido; he's never been depicted as a caring or loving father.
Like i said, abusive and pretty aggressive, for sure. But how often did something like that killed someone? Except Pedro?
Yamato is still Kaidos daughter, i doubt he would consider her dying by a mere explosion.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Like i said, abusive and pretty aggressive, for sure. But how often did something like that killed someone? Except Pedro?
Yamato is still Kaidos daughter, i doubt he would consider her dying by a mere explosion.
Yamato herself said that it would kill her. People don't die on panel in One Piece, that doesn't mean that they can't die. By Yamato's own admission, the cuffs were going to kill her.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Kaido ain't progressive. I am pretty sure he wanted a son and couldn't handle having a girl for a child. He most likely instructed his subordinates to treat Yamato as a male. My guy obviously took parental lessons from Koushirou:tchpepe:
It worked out in this case because Yamato wanted to be Oden.

Good read. Lemme add one more point.

Yamato seems to be inspired by Oscar François de Jarjayes, from the shōjo manga The Rose of Versailles, who is a woman raised by her father as if she were a boy in order to succeed him as the commander of the Royal Guard at the Palace of Versailles. This is just like you said that since Kaido wants to make her shogun, he's calling Yamato as his son.
  • Additionally, in the chp 945 author's comment, oda talks about reading The Rose of Versailles for the first time and being surprised to find out Oscar was a woman.
https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/mangaka-musings-06-09-19

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Good read. Lemme add one more point.

Yamato seems to be inspired by Oscar François de Jarjayes, from the shōjo manga The Rose of Versailles, who is a woman raised by her father as if she were a boy in order to succeed him as the commander of the Royal Guard at the Palace of Versailles. This is just like you said that since Kaido wants to make her shogun, he's calling Yamato as his son.
  • Additionally, in the chp 945 author's comment, oda talks about reading The Rose of Versailles for the first time and being surprised to find out Oscar was a woman.
https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/mangaka-musings-06-09-19
Yes I think this is it.

He wants to make Yamato a Shogun. In Wano, that position is probably only restricted to males, so the transition should be easier if people believes, that Yamato is a man.
Actually, Wano doesn't have any voice or anything whether the Shogun-appointed-by-Kaido is a male or a female. They are really opressed. So if Kaido picks a woman to be the new Shogun, it's not like Wano can do anything about it.

Actually, Wano doesn't have any voice or anything whether the Shogun-appointed-by-Kaido is a male or a female. They are really opressed. So if Kaido picks a woman to be the new Shogun, it's not like Wano can do anything about it.
Why else you think he got Yamato wearing that mask when calling her as a son. This is a feudal japan based arc of course he wont have a female as a figure leader.