Character Discussion Why does Sanji elicit such seething hatred from certain readers?

I find post time skip sanji to be insufferable tbh.

I was never a Sanji fanboy nor Sanji hater, but if i'm gonna be honest, i liked pre-time skip Sanji more.

Pre time skip Sanji was smart enough to plan ahead and go after Robin first, and was also smart enough to close the gates of justice ahead of time to cause a whirlpool so the navy ships would crash into each other so the crew could escape.

Post time skip Sanji got jumped by a mere Capone Bege. Told Nami that it was gonna be fine and that he had a plan-only to turn out that he didn't

Come WCI, Sanji kicked Luffy in the face after what Luffy went through (battling Cracker for hours) just to see him, but it turned out that Sanji got nothing and still needed the help of Luffy and Nami to save the Vinsmokes anyway.

I get what Oda was going for, but i still didn't like the direction Oda went with Sanji in WCI

I also didn't like how Sanji just told jinbe go kill himself after Jinbe patiently told fisher tiger's story to Luffy and the others.

I don't like how Sanji isn't allowed to fight women, yet Oda keeps pitting them against Sanji, like Black Maria, just for Sanji to take a beating.

Then during Sanji's flashback in WCI, we find out that the reason Sanji doesn't hit women is all because Zeff told him so, a pretty weak conviction of reason for something to be held so strong by if you ask me. There were theories before that the reason that Sanji doesn't kick women was because of a tragic mistake that sanji made in the past (like accidently killing a girl), didn't think it would turn out to be for such a shallow reason just because Zeff told him so.

The Sanji vs Zoro bickering has also gotten stale for me, and Sanji being the one who's always starting these arguments doesn't help it either.

I've already talked about this extensively before in another thread so i'll try to shorten it here, but Sanji's powerups have been all over the place. Raidsuit, Germa genes and now Oda is hinting that Sanji is a Lunarian. Oda is giving Sanji all these power ups left and right, but he doesn't give Sanji anything to improve Sanji's kicks, the one thing that Black Leg Sanji is known for.

Not to mention the fact that Sanji himself said that he wouldn't use the raid suit from the Germa 66 he hated so much, only to do a 180 and use it to peep on Nami in the bath. Also used it survive a attack from King. Its like you can't take Sanji's words seriously.

Sanji's simping of women, white knight persona, overreactions, hypocrisy, pettiness, childish bickering with zoro, his jealously and insecurities- Sanji's character may be fun to read in a book, but i can't help but feel that a person like Sanji with those traits would be absolutely insufferable and unbearable in real life.

So yeah, those are just some of the reasons why i don't like Sanji, but don't worry- neither do i like Nami and Ussop.

Last edited:
I despise rapists and pedophiles, therefore I can't stand Lanji, also his fans live in a fantasy land where Lanji is "keeping up" or "rivaling anyone".
That's the issue that catches my attention the most. Other things are definitely more affordable.

It had to be said though there are many criminals committing heinous actions in the One Piece world who are still appreciated by many fans.

I think people still carries nightmares from Fishman Island. By the time we got there it was almost insufferable to read any Sanji panel but since then things got a lot better on WCI and the little bit he stayed on Dressrosa.
I was really upset with what Oda was doing to him because I am a pretty hard monster trio fan and looked like Oda was simply trashing his character non stop.
But as I said, I have come to enjoy his character again since Dressrosa.

And I guess FI and Punk Hazard Sanji left some kind of trauma on people because it was like really bad and to be honest you can't even blame them.

But this free hate Sanji has been receiving recently is just weird. He has some hype and people are almost rolling on the ground for it.

One reason.

Zolo boys hate Sanji as Sanji is comparable to Zoro in strength and Oda is always throwing it at them and they hate it wanting Zolo to be the strongest.

It's the same reason they attack Luffy now trying to make him comparable to Luffy but we Luffy fans don't need to defend we let Oda feed us the main portions while Zolo boys get the scraps

:myman::cheers: