Speculations Why "Wings" does not mean Zoro = Sanji in strength

It is power related but not quite in the manner people are taking it.

Zoro and Sanjis strength is important to Luffy because Luffy can depend on them to do what they do best.

If Luffy needs something cut down Zoro will cut it. If Luffy needs someone to protect the others Sanji will ensure nothing will hurt them even at the cost of their own lives.

The wings thing is the same thing most people have been saying for years. Zoro and Sanji are Luffys right and left hands. They’re the sword and shield of the straw hats and yes the second and third most powerful by a wide margin. Even Jimbei is low diff material to either of these two.

How can you?

First of all, who the fuck are you to tell me how to express myself? I am a fan and you do not get to tell me if I am or not a fan or how I'll express myself. Contemplate your significance.

Second only people who are 11 talk about "cringe". Please grow up, grow a brain and return when you have something intelligent to add to the discussion. Until then, be quiet for the adults are talking.
How can you not? It's literally just common sense, and I don't get how people can genuinely think otherwise

Speed: sanji, who straight up has better speed feats than Marco, Marco was never so fast that queen couldn't see him

Strength: zoro, obviously, he doesn't train for show

Durability: sanji, has an exoskeleton

Stamina: sanji has a healing factor

Hax: again sanji, with his ability to fly

Weapons: zoro

AP: zoro

And last chapter we had a confirmation that sanji's flammes are even stronger than ace's or prometheus, heck even king, given how no fire user ever emitted flammes so hot that they generate lightning

I ask again, how can you not think that sanji pushes zoro to an extreme diff

After that stupid livestream thread involving the head writer for the...*sigh*....live action one piece series, I feel the need to properly examine the whole "wings" narrative and why it doesn't refer to Zoro and Sanji being equal in strength.

All the way back in Volume 73 SBS, Oda used the same Japanese kanji to refer to Zoro and Sanji as Luffy's "wings" as Robin did in chapter 1020. You can see this explanation here:

Most English versions of this SBS do not directly include the word "wings" in their description, but rather they say that Zoro and Sanji are "both valuable, trustworthy men who have Luffy's back." The context of the SBS question matters a lot in this case. The reader presented a compilation of every time Zoro and Sanji referred to each other, noting that Zoro has never called Sanji by his name and lamenting the fact that the two of them don't get along. In response, Oda is basically trying to encourage the reader to focus on what they have in common rather than their differences. Here is the full sentence:

"While they may not get along well, they are both valuable, trustworthy men who have Luffy's back, so let's forgive them for their squabbling."

Think about this: why would Oda respond to a question complaining about Zoro and Sanji's personal relationship by power-scaling? "Yeah, they may argue a lot, but they're equally strong!" versus "Yeah, they may argue a lot, but they are both just as fundamental to making Luffy the Pirate King!" Which sounds like a more logical response given the context of the question?

Furthermore, let's examine the context of Robin's specific statement in the current situation instead of Oda's words from long ago. Why did Oda choose to insert this line here?
  • Sanji just experienced one of the lowest moments of the series.
    • He was humiliated by Black Maria, forcing him to swallow his pride and call for Robin's help while all of Onigashima heard it. That is just brutal for Oda to do to him. And keep in mind that all of this is happening right during/after the rooftop fight where Luffy and Zoro are getting to fight fricking Kaido and Big Mom. In my opinion, this is Oda's way of saying, "no matter how bad Sanji may look at times, he is still one of Luffy's two most trusted men. He is still part of the monster trio."
  • Jinbe just joined the crew
    • After Jinbe joined the crew, many people speculated that Sanji's spot in the M3 would be in danger. In fact, some people thought that he would even overtake Zoro as the #2 and RHM. Again, this is Oda's way of saying, "no matter who joins the crew, Zoro and Sanji will be Luffy's top 2 men." Luffy, Zoro, Sanji. That will never change.
  • Sanji had several consecutive arcs where Oda seemed to purposely make him look "uncool."
    • Even aside from the Black Maria thing, Oda seemed to have no problem with not giving Sanji much shine. He was absent for the majority of Dressrosa and the entirety of Zou. In WCI, even though it was an arc centered around him, it was more meant to show the depth of his character and the beauty of his kindness/personality. He didn't really have many moments that the fanbase would consider "hype."

So why is it Zoro & Sanji and not anyone else if Oda wasn't talking about strength?

Well, strength definitely does play a role, but it is not the main/only deciding factor. Zoro & Sanji being "valuable, trustworthy men who have Luffy's back" is dependent on them being able to support him in any situation. Someone like Nami, although she is a trusted advisor for Luffy, cannot support him in battle nor can she lead the rest of the crew in battle if Luffy is absent. This is evidenced by Luffy saying in Sabaody that he, Zoro and Sanji needed to split up and lead different groups if they wanted to get out alive.

Both Zoro and Sanji have been shown to be far above the rest of the crew in combat ability that Luffy would trust only them specifically to handle the lives of the rest of the crew. However, they have also been shown to be capable leaders in his absence. While Zoro is obviously the first choice and his status as the "unofficial" vice-captain in the crew shouldn't really be questioned, I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that Sanji is always the next choice and he tends to serve as the protector of the weak members of the crew. This is evidenced by how he took charge of the rest of the crew during Dressrosa/Zou when Luffy & Zoro were absent. While Luffy & Zoro tend to recklessly bulldoze into battle to find the strong enemies, Sanji tends to stay back and protect. This is essentially exactly what happened at the beginning of the raid.

I have a lot more to potentially add on, but this is basically my two cents on the matter. Thoughts?
U dont need to Cope and write a whole paragraph of ur own headcanon opinions here to understand a simple thing Oda delivered within the story. Sanji = zoro until proven otherwise.

"Wings that helps pirate king to Soar" U cant soar without wings been equal. Only zorotards try to cope with manga facts :ihaha: :risitasad:

It is power related but not quite in the manner people are taking it.

Zoro and Sanjis strength is important to Luffy because Luffy can depend on them to do what they do best.

If Luffy needs something cut down Zoro will cut it. If Luffy needs someone to protect the others Sanji will ensure nothing will hurt them even at the cost of their own lives.

The wings thing is the same thing most people have been saying for years. Zoro and Sanji are Luffys right and left hands. They’re the sword and shield of the straw hats and yes the second and third most powerful by a wide margin. Even Jimbei is low diff material to either of these two.
This.
Of course wings means something strength-wise, It doesn't mean they're = since Zoro clearly stronger, but that they're overall in the same ballpark to the point that both of them are needed for the PK to soar.
Who could have defeated Kaido's top 2 calamities?
Zoro and Sanji.
Zoro and Sanji are the only commanders of Luffy, that's their role, Oda even put this thing clear with Jinbe not fighting a calamity.
The strength dynamic will Always be:

Luffy
-
-
Zoro
-
Sanji
-
-
-
-
-
-
Rest of the crew.

That's why they see the top 3 as the Monster trio even though they're not equal to each other.
Zoro, Sanji and Luffy are way way more powerful than the others and that's why the crew sees them as in the same own league.
Like, I am pretty sure that if Oda would do a tier list about the crew the trio would be in the same tier.
We know that there are difference between them, but the rest of the crew Is that far behind that can't see the actual margin between them.

This.
Of course wings means something strength-wise, It doesn't mean they're = since Zoro clearly stronger, but that they're overall in the same ballpark to the point that both of them are needed for the PK to soar.
Who could have defeated Kaido's top 2 calamities?
Zoro and Sanji.
Zoro and Sanji are the only commanders of Luffy, that's their role, Oda even put this thing clear with Jinbe not fighting a calamity.
The strength dynamic will Always be:

Luffy
-
-
Zoro
-
Sanji
-
-
-
-
-
-
Rest of the crew.

That's why they see the top 3 as the Monster trio even though they're not equal to each other.
Zoro, Sanji and Luffy are way way more powerful than the others and that's why the crew sees them as in the same own league.
Like, I am pretty sure that if Oda would do a tier list about the crew the trio would be in the same tier.
We know that there are difference between them, but the rest of the crew Is that far behind that can't see the actual margin between them.
People need to realise that jinbei is already in his prime, while luffy, zoro and sanji just started their journey...

I don't recall ever even saying anything even mildly bad about Sanji, and I thoroughly don't associate myself with people who spam "Lanji" "Zoro >>>>>>>>>> Sanji" and various other forms of back-and-forth garbage comments/posts just meant to piss people off
even if you say something like zoro high diffs sanji it's already perceived as hate by these trolls, don't bother :kayneshrug:

you are a hater unless you think luffy low diffs wings and wings extreme diff each other :kobeha:

No need to make a thread about something so obvious.

Even most Sanji fans know it doesn't correlate to strength. Just that a bunch of desperate equality stans want to suggest otherwise. They know they have absolutely fuck all to argue with or use to say Sanji = Zoro at this point, so they scream wing.
Post automatically merged:

How can you not? It's literally just common sense, and I don't get how people can genuinely think otherwise

Speed: sanji, who straight up has better speed feats than Marco, Marco was never so fast that queen couldn't see him

Strength: zoro, obviously, he doesn't train for show

Durability: sanji, has an exoskeleton

Stamina: sanji has a healing factor

Hax: again sanji, with his ability to fly

Weapons: zoro

AP: zoro

And last chapter we had a confirmation that sanji's flammes are even stronger than ace's or prometheus, heck even king, given how no fire user ever emitted flammes so hot that they generate lightning

I ask again, how can you not think that sanji pushes zoro to an extreme diff
Your generalization is absolutely biased simplification. I have no issue with people pushing agenda for Sanji pushing Zoro to high-diff, but this "extreme-diff" stuff is absolutely, utterly nonsensical and it's not even funny.

Strength and AP are obvious and I don't even need to elaborate. ACoA + ACoC + Lethality of blades is significantly superior- and even before ACoC, Zoro had feats of scarring Kaido for life.

Durability is Sanji, but Zoro's defense is still superior. Coating weapons in barrier haki on top of having superior CoA than Sanji anyway, is above Exoskeleton + an inferior CoA.

Speed is Sanji for movement and CoO, however Zoro's attack speed is up there, if not outright better in blitzes. Lion's Song also blitzed King before the latter could even move a muscle from afar.

In terms of mobility, obviously Sanji because he can fly- although he doesn't have ranged attacks to take advantage of that.

In terms of versatility, Sanji can fly, meanwhile Zoro has Kaido-scale-cutting tornadoes of mountain size, on top of flying slashes of mountain size, and the ability to cut and diminish fire, which directly counters Sanji.

And, again, Sanji is a CQC combatant. Getting close to Zoro and clashing with his blades or risking getting hit is a counter match-up to begin with against a blade user with SIGNIFICANTLY superior CoA on top of ACoC.

But the most hilarious part is, you're saying "How can you not say extreme diff after last chapter?" when Zoro vs King is yet to even be shown properly- this is like trying to push an agenda after Sanji showed DJ vs Jabra before even waiting for Zoro vs Kaku to end. Not that it makes that much an impact, powerscaling still puts Zoro higher.

Last edited:
Yeah, it definitely doesn't mean they're equal but combat strength plays one of the most major role in them being the wings. You said valuable and trustworthy. I don't think any of us take any other SHP to be less trustworthy than Sanji and Zoro. It comes down to valuable which they all are in their own ways aside from strength and maybe in some rare cases when it's needed, leadership. I would even argue Nami to be as component as the other 2 in terms of leadership.

No matter how we put it, the main thing comes to strength in the end which even you've mentioned. In this sense, although I agree with much of your thread, the title is very clickbaity. It doesn't 'only' refer to strength but it's the most major aspect, at least imo. But that definitely doesn't mean they're equal in strength. They can ofc vary. Just the Top 2.

Last edited:
They have been portrayed as rivals/equals the entire story but Zoro fanboys ignore that
Zoro has also been portrayed to be part of WG and leaders of new generation over Sanji.

Zoro has also been portrayed to be "SIlver" Rayleigh to Luffy's "Gold" Roger with Sanji representing Gaban a.k.a Copper.

Zoro has also been portrayed to be RHM and straight up called strongest in crew after Luffy by Oda.

Lucci/Kaku, Crocodile/Mr.1 (Jabra/Mr.2 left the groups after the arc), Smoker/Tashigi, Kidd/Killer, Coby/Helmeppo... do I need to go on?

Zoro was also the one with narrative importance of taking Luffy's pain. Sanji did not share with him, albeit he was willing to, as his one of his two biggest pillars of support.

I could list on and on and on.

If you take into account all the narrative/portrayal of Zoro and Sanji being the wings and Luffy's biggest pillars of support, yet ignore all the portrayal which sets Zoro apart from every other crewmmate of Luffy's in terms of narrative importance and strength, then you're just being a pure, shameless hypocrite.

Battle of the ages.

The Sanji fandom "sanji has coc" copium

vs

The Zoro fandom "this Wings means nothing" copium

Truly very important and interesting topics that DEFINITELY won't get at least 1 new thread per week until the end of times.
:suresure:
The OP is not saying Wings means nothing. He's saying that it doesn't mean equality.

It's equivalent to a Sanji fan saying there's a chance Sanji may get CoC as opposed to Sanji already having it or for sure getting it.

At least read more than the title.