Speculations Zoro vs Kaido

How likely do you think it is that Zoro gets a 1 vs 1 with Kaido while Luffy recovers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
zoro seems to have kaidos interest now
I imagine we'll see them interact more unless they just get stomped lol
It's too soon to wound Kaido badly, especially in hybrid form. Oda is going to offpanel the 5 supernova defeat or have them crashed on panel, he's just started to fight so he can't look weak.
He has to look overwhelming
If this would happen, Zoro would be done way to fast. Hybrid Kaido will demolish Zoro, specially when he starts to fight seriously. Even tho zoro showed really impressive skills right now, it is far away from fighting Kaido 1 vs 1. Zoro after the next Arc maybe would be able to fight this solo, but right now? I dont see a chance here.
Kaido can look overwhelming by crushing the Supernova in a first salvo. Zoro holding him off can happen after that. Zoro doesn't need to defeat him, just face him during the 10 minutes.

Zoro fighting Kaido to protect Luffy can be more a character moment than a powerlevel related moment.

I can totally see Oda showing Zoro taking a high amount of damage without falling down because falling down would mean that Luffy is in danger.
This. I'm thinking of a scene like Zoro vs Kuma. Kuma was overwhelming for the other Strawhats and much stronger than all of them. Zoro knew this, and despite it, he still stood up to fight Kuma so as to protect his crew and captain.

Even though Kaido is stronger than him, Zoro needs to protect Luffy now, so I can see him taking on that role.

I would be surprised if Zoro just lets himself get knocked out while Luffy is vulnerable.

Zoro would never forgive himself if he lets himself get knocked out if his captain is out of commission.
It's far too late in the story for Zoro to be cursing his weakness, so we're not going to see Zoro get knocked out.

In general, I think people are too focused on rigid powerscaling. Accept this fundamental truth:
"Characters are as strong as the story requires them to be".

Right now, Luffy is out of commission.

Zoro holds Luffy's life above his own, and even above his dream:

He has unshakeable confidence in Luffy:

If he can't protect his captain, his dream is worthless.

Preskip at Thriller Bark, Zoro was too weak to protect his captain and so he had no choice but to offer up his head instead.

Because of that weakness, Zoro had to lay aside his pride and beg his rival Mihawk to train him:

It is an insult to Zoro's character for him to allow himself to be defeated, when his captain needs him the most.
  • Zoro holds Luffy's life above all.
  • He holds fulfilling Luffy's dream above his own ambition.

If Zoro must transcend himself to protect Luffy, then he will. He continue to fight while dead on his feet in order to be able to surpass Mihawk:

Zoro holds Luffy's life even above surpassing Mihawk.

If Zoro gets knocked out while Luffy is out of commission:
  • We will get a repeat of Thriller Bark with Zoro cursing his own weakness and inadequacy.
  • It would be repetitive character development (essentially redoing Thriller Bark and Sabaody)
  • Zoro's training for 2 years with Hawkeyes would be worthless.
    • Zoro did not train for 2 years to become stronger so that he may surpass Hawkeyes. He trained for 2 years to become stronger so that he could protect Luffy.
    • Failing to protect Luffy when Luffy needs him the most will be a regression for Zoro's character.

The narrative requires that Zoro be strong enough to protect his captain until he recovers, and so Zoro will be.

I think that Luffy and Law will prominently deal with Big Mom regardless.
Luffy is currently unconscious. This thread is about the 10 minutes until he recovers.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
@Cinera

Yeah I was trying to expand the subject matter even further, but my point was that it is eventually occurring yes. Luffy is out and as I said Zoro is free and so is Kidd whom however has been recently kinda off screened. Odds demand Zoro vs Kaido to occur, and possibly 1 on 1 too whilst Luffy is out. Am curious to see what Killer and Law will do specifically however.

Note: I think for plot reasons Zoro and Kidd are the most likely to prominently attack Kaido and not Big Mom.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Well in the end of this chapter i see very exhausted to Law and Kid but can be me impression. But the real thing it's that zoro doesn't use his full power with three swords, yes it's because he doesn't control yet enma.
That's because i see than zoro has more possible to fight agaisnt Kaido.
Zoro used his 3 sword style against Kaido.
About enma, i am with you assuming he hasnt mastered enma yet, but i think he wont mastering the sword in Wano already, it takes time for that.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I think you forgot to read the words "too soon"

I've always been a supporter of the Strawhats vs Kaido scenario, and I'm still quite certain it's going to be the final fight of the arc.
Zoro is a strawhat so i was sure he was going to hurt Kaido badly at some point.

The fact that it's all happening sooner than i expected (and before Zoro vs King/ Who's Who) doesn't mean Zoro isn't going to have another PU before he actually achieve that.
Considering Zoro not ready for that stage yet, makes me a biased reader because I'm a Sanji fan?
The words “too soon” no longer matter, ZORO CUT AND DREW BLOOD FROM KAIDO. We’re in a new world where that’s a pure fact rather than an obvious narrative choice left unmade, bro! Even if Kaido hasn’t sustained any serious damage (YET), it is now fully established that at least two members of the protagonist crew are capable of dealing ANY to him, one of them being this guy :zosleepy:
To look at what happened in this chapter and honestly think that Zoro’s somehow still not ready to hurt a Yonko is just...I don’t even know, man, it doesn’t make sense to come to that conclusion.

Roronoa-sama

Magic Sword, Magic Swordsman, and Can Cut Anything
Zoro used his 3 sword style against Kaido.
About enma, i am with you assuming he hasnt mastered enma yet, but i think he wont mastering the sword in Wano already, it takes time for that.
yes he has used his 3 sword style but it's not full efficient. That's he has said when he fighted with ors and he was attacking with 180 pound and in that moment he controled better shusui than enma now.

It depends on what Oda has in store to move the plot.
The chapter ended with the 3 captains reacting to Kaido's transformation,those 3 are going to be the direct primary targets of the Emperors next.

Since Luffy is a liability right now,i can see Law teleporting him away like he did the scabbards and then we have a 4 vs 2.
The Sn show off new stuff again holding their own for some time then get beaten and about to be killed when Luffy comes back (after bluenoing Jack who would've attacked him while he was resting) and turns the tides of the battle.

This scenario here is if Oda intends to move the plot significantly forward and plans to end the act.

But what you propose is also very possible and with Oda subverting expectations concerning Zoro,i wouldn't be shocked if he had him stalling Hybrid kaido for 10 mins ( however ridiculous that may sound) but in this scenario the act is not near ending as that will spam over multiple chapters.

J

Jo_Ndule

Zoro would only reopen the scar if kaido is in dragon form
This round is over... that means he will get the chance when Kaido will be chasing SNs in wano

Yup...Hawkins prophecy indicates SNs will be fighting for their survival

The words “too soon” no longer matter, ZORO CUT AND DREW BLOOD FROM KAIDO. We’re in a new world where that’s a pure fact rather than an obvious narrative choice left unmade, bro! Even if Kaido hasn’t sustained any serious damage (YET), it is now fully established that at least two members of the protagonist crew are capable of dealing ANY to him, one of them being this guy :zosleepy:
To look at what happened in this chapter and honestly think that Zoro’s somehow still not ready to hurt a Yonko is just...I don’t even know, man, it doesn’t make sense to come to that conclusion.
It's too soon to wound Kaido badly, especially in hybrid form. Oda is going to offpanel the 5 supernova defeat or have them crashed on panel, he's just started to fight so he can't look weak.
He has to look overwhelming

Btw, Kaido laughed his attack off
Check other translations
Kaido didn't praise Zoro lol

And there's nothing zoro can do for now

Kaido isn't impressed by him
It really seems like Kaido just simply cares only about Enma and not Zoro. It's not hard to see at all. Zoro managed to hurt Kaido, but it clearly didn't do much anyway and he really only mentioned Oden and Enma. Zoro is being neglected by Kaido.

I don't know if The Grandmaster is having a 1 on 1 against HF Kaido right now, but he will definitely fight Kaido solo at one point in this arc.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit terrified of what HF Kaido could do, though. For all we know, HF Kaido will be OP as fuck that not even a normal named attack from Zoro can do a significant damage without an extra push (like Ashura).

It's never smooth sailing for any protagonist when a chief antagonist unleashes a true/final form. But that only means Oda is doing a great job. :cheers:

J

Jo_Ndule

It really seems like Kaido just simply cares only about Enma and not Zoro. It's not hard to see at all. Zoro managed to hurt Kaido, but it clearly didn't do much anyway and he really only mentioned Oden and Enma. Zoro is being neglected by Kaido.
They think kaido has been praising Zoro's haki or power

That moment when a sword and a dead man is more important in Kaido's eyes than Zoro

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Aight @Jackteo, it won’t let me quote your post because you didn’t actually say anything new, and since we’re just emphasizing our own quotes to each other now...
Even if Kaido hasn’t sustained any serious damage (YET), it is now fully established that at least two members of the protagonist crew are capable of dealing ANY to him, one of them being this guy:zosleepy: