Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s definitely possible that she’ll want to leave, especially considering that little panel just a short while ago when she literally asked to join Luffy’s crew and see the world...we weren’t shown that OR her little flashback where she teared up hearing the words Luffy and Roger spoke in common for nothing, and seeing how Momo has been reunited with all the Scabbards (none of whom seem to have died thus far), it’s not like he won’t have protection and guidance if he stays in Wano. There’s reason for her to swear fealty to the rebuilding Kozuki clan and stay on the island, but it sure seems like she’s mainly motivated to leave that place and guide Luffy to the dawn, that can’t be discounted.
He said Momo will bring the dawn. He hasn't said anything about Luffy doing it. Does Yamato equate beating Kaido with bringing the dawn? Because that would mean he believes more than one person will do it, which therefore means that Yamato has a choice of who to be with and where. It's not like Luffy doesn't have his crew to protect and guide him, either, and he can obviously protect himself. The fact is, Yamato's current goal has the potential to change with the introduction of Momo. Potential may not mean probability, but that potential shouldn't be discounted, either.

Not sure why there has to be a grand Jinbe conspiracy, it could be as simple as Oda wanting him to join in this big war and just giving him cool scenes before that.
What it comes back to is why would Oda want to draw out Jinbe joining multiple times if he's planning on Carrot and Yamato both joining now, even more so if there's more characters to join later on. I do think it fits IF he wanted one more person to join right after Jinbe and if he means the crew to be completed in Wano. I believe he set up Carrot all this time for just that, but if it's Yamato, so be it. I simply don't think it'll be both.

What it comes back to is why would Oda want to draw out Jinbe joining multiple times if he's planning on Carrot and Yamato both joining now, even more so if there's more characters to join later on. I do think it fits IF he wanted one more person to join right after Jinbe and if he means the crew to be completed in Wano. I believe he set up Carrot all this time for just that, but if it's Yamato, so be it. I simply don't think it'll be both.
Well I'm on the opposite end since I think Yamato takes a spot for sure, before Wano I would say Carrot had decent odds if Oda wanted to add her but now I simply can't see it unless he is fine adding her and Yamato. Yamato stock is way too strong by having more interactions and connection with Luffy despite a significantly shorter time with him, being a haki user and having a transformation that isn't tied to a small time frame once a month.

Carrot's time on board could have been part of a nakama build up but it also could've been as simple as wanting to have representation on the crew of the newly formed alliance (Pirates-Samurai-Minks) for Wano.

Well I'm on the opposite end since I think Yamato takes a spot for sure, before Wano I would say Carrot had decent odds if Oda wanted to add her but now I simply can't see it unless he is fine adding her and Yamato. Yamato stock is way too strong by having more interactions and connection with Luffy despite a significantly shorter time with him, being a haki user and having a transformation that isn't tied to a small time frame once a month.

Carrot's time on board could have been part of a nakama build up but it also could've been as simple as wanting to have representation on the crew of the newly formed alliance (Pirates-Samurai-Minks) for Wano.
Basically, this is my thinking in order of certainty:

1. Jinbe is Luffy's 9th person, and there will be a 10th.
2. There won't be an 11th, 12th, etc.
3. That 10th person will be Carrot.

If Luffy builds his crew up more than 10, 12 or whatever, great! I'm not against it. I just don't think it'll happen except in the honorary sense like everyone being a Straw Hat in the story's final battle or something.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
He said Momo will bring the dawn. He hasn't said anything about Luffy doing it. Does Yamato equate beating Kaido with bringing the dawn? Because that would mean he believes more than one person will do it, which therefore means that Yamato has a choice of who to be with and where. It's not like Luffy doesn't have his crew to protect and guide him, either, and he can obviously protect himself. The fact is, Yamato's current goal has the potential to change with the introduction of Momo. Potential may not mean probability, but that potential shouldn't be discounted, either.
You really think Yamato doesn’t believe Luffy will be responsible for changing the world, huh??

There’s stated motivation for her to stay with Momo, but there’s substantial evidence that she wants to join Luffy, and to ignore that is to deny the canon itself.

I think it’s too early to establish how strong Yamato is with respect to Jinbe or Sanji. We haven’t yet seen either of them put up a real fight against any Tobi Roppo yet for a clear comparison.
Sanji will be stronger than Yamato, that's for sure.
Jinbe fought equally with Ace for days, the similar Ace fought base Yamato equally too. Unless her DF weakens her, she's stronger than Jinbe, even if it's juuust a lil bit.

Ofc, we know Oda's pov regarding female char, so....
Post automatically merged:

The reason is plot. WIth Jinbe aboard, Luffy and the rest of the Sunny Team would dock to Wano safely, they won't meet Tama and Tengu.
Plot can be molded in various ways, but Jinbe showing up had to wait for Sanji finally using RS and Enma traded. This is why I think Jinbe showing up that late.

Last edited:
You really think Yamato doesn’t believe Luffy will be responsible for changing the world, huh??

There’s stated motivation for her to stay with Momo, but there’s substantial evidence that she wants to join Luffy, and to ignore that is to deny the canon itself.
I didn't say that. You said, "it sure seems like she’s mainly motivated to leave that place and guide Luffy to the dawn". Yamato hasn't yet connected the dawn to Luffy, only to Momo. He believes Oden's prediction that Luffy and the others of the new generation would beat Kaido. What I asked was, "Does Yamato equate beating Kaido with bringing the dawn?" Because they may or may not be mutually exclusive in Yamato's mind. If he does believe they're the same, then that still means Yamato has to choose between where he needs to be to guide that dawn: beside Momo or beside Luffy.

Sanji will be stronger than Yamato, that's for sure.
Jinbe fought equally with Ace for days, the similar Ace fought base Yamato equally too. Unless her DF weakens her, she's stronger than Jinbe, even if it's juuust a lil bit.

Ofc, we know Oda's pov regarding female char, so....

Plot can be molded in various ways, but Jinbe showing up had to wait for Sanji finally using RS and Enma traded. This is why I think Jinbe showing up that late.
But also remember, the fights Ace had with Jinbe and Yamato were both several years ago so it may not necessarily correspond to their current strengths.

Yamato is way too strong
She one-hit a Number in basic form. A ranged attack
Luffy one hit a Number with kong gun. G4 bound man

We know that both still have hidden power. Yamato with zoan form and hybrid form. Luffy with ryuo and some other form maybe

There's no way she is under the monster level
I mean Luffy is trying to be the Pirate King. For the Straw Hats to remain competitive, Luffy’s gonna need as many heavy hitters as possible in his crew. Yamato as far as I’ve seen can provide that. It’s only gonna get harder for the Straw Hats onwards. This is also one of the many reasons why I’m highly skeptical that any kids will join.

Last edited:
But also remember, the fights Ace had with Jinbe and Yamato were both several years ago so it may not necessarily correspond to their current strengths.
Correct. However, in a way, Yamato who is younger than Jinbe and has better ancestry, can and have more room for growth.

Also, I agree with your last point. At this stage of the series, SH needs a heavy-hitters. First, to compensate their quantity. Second, to make them truly worthy of surpassing Shanks' (Luffy's promise to him). Third, it would be the new legend from the old one:

Rocks
Newgate - Kaido - Linlin - Shiki

Luffy
Zoro - Sanji - Yamato - Jinbe

Correct. However, in a way, Yamato who is younger than Jinbe and has better ancestry, can and have more room for growth.

Also, I agree with your last point. At this stage of the series, SH needs a heavy-hitters. First, to compensate their quantity. Second, to make them truly worthy of surpassing Shanks' (Luffy's promise to him). Third, it would be the new legend from the old one:

Rocks
Newgate - Kaido - Linlin - Shiki

Luffy
Zoro - Sanji - Yamato - Jinbe
Yup I agree that Yamato has more room for growth than Jinbe due to age.

I also want to add that I believe Luffy’s crew needs to be complete NOT when they get to Laughtale but when they meet Shanks.

Like you said, Luffy made a promise to Shanks that he would gather a crew that would surpass the Red Hair Pirates. Luffy’s crew would need to be complete at the time him and Shanks reunite for that promise to really make sense.

If Shanks is to be the main Yonko of Elbaf, then Wano may truly be the last chance any new members can join.

Last edited:
Oda’s history with female characters makes me skeptical that he would add a female straw hat that’s stronger than any of the new monster trio
if she does join I feel like she’ll be nerfed like Robin was:sanmoji:
It's 2021 now and the way Oda stirred up social issues such as gender identity etc. why not make a new (and relevant) moves now? A finally badass female crew would be something relieving for readers this generation. Besides I still have a second thought about yamato's indentity haha, though either would still be great.

I genuinely don't get the correlation between questioning about dragging jinbe's official join and the only possible additional crew is limited to 1 person._. How can it conclude to "there's no way there'll be 2 more new crews because jinbe yada yada yada" ?

Last edited:
There's no logical reason for Oda to wait because of that... He wrote it because of what it is...

Franky > Yamato. End of Wano, Franky = Jinbe slightly above Yamato
Yamato damaged Ulti and P1 at once better than novice RS Sanji did... Would be weird if that's the case...

I mean Luffy is trying to be the Pirate King. For the Straw Hats to remain competitive, Luffy’s gonna need as many heavy hitters as possible in his crew. Yamato as far as I’ve seen can provide that. It’s only gonna get harder for the Straw Hats onwards. This is also one of the many reasons why I’m highly skeptical that any kids will join.
I can only think of an Elbaf giant if a kid joins, maybe as young as Rebecca... I agree though that NW recruits, especially from this point onwards should be monstrous ones...

I see it likely that at the end of Wano two SHs will join. Yamato is the most obvious candidate, but the second one I think will be unexpected and will be Marco. The fact that Marco has returned to the plot in a saga like Wano makes me suspicious. Why in Wano? Wouldn't it be more logical to reintroduce him when they face Weevil or Teach? After all, Marco's connection to Wano is not very important. Another reason is what will be Marco's future after Wano? I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy asked Marco to be his nakama like he did with Jinbe, without anyone expecting it. If we add to all this that he will possibly have his versus with King (being the only non-SH to face a Calamity or F6), I think he has more chances than many think.

Status
Not open for further replies.