Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely don't get the correlation between questioning about dragging jinbe's official join and the only possible additional crew is limited to 1 person._. How can it conclude to "there's no way there'll be 2 more new crews because jinbe yada yada yada" ?
There's a bit of a disconnect between saying you genuinely don't understand my point and equating it to "yada yada". But I'll try to explain.

I believe Oda does intend to have more than one person join this time. However, three people at once feels like too much when it's always only been one at a time. Oda had a chance to let Jinbe officially join in WCI, which would have given both Carrot and Yamato more than 100 chapters to develop in Wano without his absence hanging over everything. That would have spread things out more evenly and would still allow for breaking the precedent of just one person joining at a time.

However, Jinbe made it official in Wano. This is the arc he will get his toast and leave with the crew on the Sunny. Having another person joining next to him already feels like it'll push into his accomplishment, but it can work if there's a reason for it, namely if it's the 10th and final person before the crew is complete. If it's just so Oda can cram three or more crewmates in as quickly as possible when he didn't even have to, that doesn't make sense to me.

I see it likely that at the end of Wano two SHs will join. Yamato is the most obvious candidate, but the second one I think will be unexpected and will be Marco. The fact that Marco has returned to the plot in a saga like Wano makes me suspicious. Why in Wano? Wouldn't it be more logical to reintroduce him when they face Weevil or Teach? After all, Marco's connection to Wano is not very important. Another reason is what will be Marco's future after Wano? I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy asked Marco to be his nakama like he did with Jinbe, without anyone expecting it. If we add to all this that he will possibly have his versus with King (being the only non-SH to face a Calamity or F6), I think he has more chances than many think.
Isn’t Marco a doctor? We already have one of those in the Straw Hats. Any new members that join the SHs will need to take up an occupation that hasn’t already been claimed by another SH. It’s the same case for Law too.

Having 2 of the same would disrupt the balance the SHs have.

Isn’t Marco a doctor? We already have one of those in the Straw Hats. Any new members that join the SHs will need to take up an occupation that hasn’t already been claimed by another SH. It’s the same case for Law too.

Not only that, the "2" in this case would just include Jinbe, who hasn't really "officially" joined yet. Luffy held off the celebration for a reason. Having the final 2 join together officially is a great explanation for that choice.

Not only that, the "2" in this case would just include Jinbe, who hasn't really "officially" joined yet. Luffy held off the celebration for a reason. Having the final 2 join together officially is a great explanation for that choice.
I believe the toast for Jinbe being postponed by Luffy is definite foreshadowing that there will be at least 1 other person that the toast will be for. If that wasn’t the case, then there’s no reason for Oda to bring it up then postpone it in the first place.

That being said however, Jinbe is already a full fledged member after he submitted his sake cup to Big Mom and when Luffy told him that he was his captain now. Oda already released official color spreads for all 10 together formalizing it.

The toast is just a celebration that somebody new has joined, not necessarily a requirement for somebody to officially join.

Last edited:
That being said however, Jinbe is already a full fledged member after he submitted his sake cup to Big Mom and when Luffy told him that he was his captain now. Oda already released official color spreads for all 10 together formalizing it.
Those color spreads were after he came back in Wano. There was exactly one with Jinbe before then: the promotional piece for Arashi. It was nice, but all the spreads before and after that still excluded Jinbe until long after he arrived in Wano. That's why I hated that cookie world piece, because it still left out Jinbe.

Carrot's fighting style is not only unique, but it's clearly more original and personalised than Yamao's.

Her choice of weapon is extremely unusual in the world of OP.
Gauntlets with retractable claws. Even a sword master and former bounty hunter like Zoro had no idea what kind of weapon she was using. Then there's the added depth that Carrot was originally trained with a sword, but was given her special gauntlets by her mentor who literally told her to develop her own special, personal way of fighting.

That's head and shoulders above Yamao who uses a bog standard club like we've seen countless times in the series. The only difference being that she can hit harder than the average grunt and that she uses flying blows (just like Zoro and Brook's slashes and thrusts).

Carrot's fighting style actually reflects her personality. Fitting with her bubbly, enthusiastic nature, she incorporates super-leaps, backflips and somersaults just like a cheerleader.

Whereas Yamao's club fighting style, much like her dream, her idol figure, her past relationships and of course her face, was copied and pasted from someone else.

However, Yamao does get a point for the mystery surrounding her df, which at this point seems most likely to be the Byakko, White Tiger. That's certainly unique. But Carrot has a mysterious transformation of her own with Sulong that also has its own questions surrounding it. Whilst the Byakko df would be a double-edged sword since as cool as it would be, considering the Byakko was a mythological Japanese guardian, it would effectively cement her role as Momo's protector.

In WCI, Luffy scowled at the idea of having a party before a fight, so there's that too. Not just waiting for Yamato to join.
I know, but I’m talking specifically about toasts which would only take a few seconds to complete at most.

Also why would Oda even bring up the toast in the middle of battle in the first place only to postpone it? Oda never does anything in the story without a reason.

Last edited:

If after Jinbe, Yamato and two more nakamas join, I don't think they will have any important role in the ship. Zoro has none, Robin is an archeologist, which is not a role on the ship and Usopp, despite being the official sniper, is not the only one on the ship, as Franky can also shoot bullets and lasers. Even if Carrot were to join, she would not be the ship's lookout, since anyone with a pair of binoculars or observation haki can do it. To have an important role on the ship, you have to be one of the best in the world for that position. But the only thing you need to be a SH is to be strong for the NW and have a dream or goal.

Last edited:
Carrot's fighting style is not only unique, but it's clearly more original and personalised than Yamao's.

Her choice of weapon is extremely unusual in the world of OP.
Carrot's choice of a weapon might be unusual in the rest of the world ,but it doesn't really set her apart from the rest of her race. It is one of the ways to fight for the mink race. It is shown in both Guardians and musketeers.

It is not personalised at all,she simply wasn't fit for the ways of the sword.

So this
Whereas Yamao's club fighting style, much like her dream, her idol figure, her past relationships and of course her face, was copied and pasted from someone else.
shouldn't be brought as a con against Yamato at all. Both are copies, one way or another.

Carrot's choice of a weapon might be unusual in the rest of the world ,but it doesn't really set her apart from the rest of her race.
This is what actually matters. Carrot has a very unusual weapon in the world of OP. End of.

Jinbe's entire fighting style is fishman karate. He has absolutely nothing other than that in his kit. The important thing however is that it is still something special and Jinbe's the only FMK user on the crew, so it's ok. Same goes for Carrot.
It is not personalised at all,she simply wasn't fit for the ways of the sword.
It is
"She's not meant for the sword" "It doesn't matter how--just train yourself into a mighty warrior".

The point of this was to show that there's more than one way of doing things, (mirroring Pedro's own situation with Roger). All the other musketeers are trained to be swordsmen, but Carrot didn't fit ordinary so was given an unusual weapon and was told to find her own way of fighting.
Whilst obviously this is non-canon and I'm not using this as proof of anything, it's merely illustrating the point I'm trying to make for a better understanding.
shouldn't be brought as a con against Yamato at all. Both are copies, one way or another.
Not at all. Carrot used a strange weapon that had never been seen in the entire series up until that point. 200 chapters later and it has still only been seen 2 other times. Whereas Yamao is using a weapon that was literally shown in the second chapter of the series and has been seen quite literally, countless times since, even being used by fodder in the very chapter Yamao was introduced, simply because it's that generic of a weapon.

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something about Carrot but we are talking about a glove with claws here right?
Nah

Carrot uses gauntlets. They're like boxing gloves that can be used for blunt force, but they can also extend claws. That's different from just some sharp tipped gloves like you posted. And again, Carrot gauntlets also have some resemblance to cheerleader pompoms, fitting in even more with her peppy personality.

Seeing Carrot now, she's fighting Peros with Sulong with Sulong Wanda... So during a non-full moon and without Wanda, Carrot can't compete against vets... She'll just ending up being Chopper, Nami, Usopp tier (so-called Weakling Trio)... There's a reason why Chopper, despite probably being able to match base Robin, Franky and Brook using Monster Point, is included in that tier... Same thing will happen with Carrot and the crew doesn't need another weakling given the level of competition at this point onwards...

Imagine her joining and then BBP attacks Sunny:

Carrot: I can see rafts. (No idea)
Usopp: Eh? Wait let me see, I feel uneasy.
Luffy, ZSJ, Yamato: Feels danger.
Usopp: It's Blackbeard! We're doomed!
Luffy: Everyone, prepare for battle!
Nami and Chopper: (Cries)
Carrot: What? (Many vets and YCs already on board and ready to destroy Sunny and she failed to notice because she's busy talking to Luffy)
Luffy: Oh no, I forgot we have a new member who can't fight well against these guys without Wanda and a full moon!
Robin: We now have Weakling Quartet. Nami and Usopp can't fight against these guys as well without Tama. Chopper has no disease to fight as well.
Chopper, Nami, Usopp: Eh?
BB: Zehahahaha!
Luffy: Wait, it's not yet full moon and Wanda is not with us. Carrot can't fight your vets yet.
BBP: :gokulaugh:
Luffy: :lusalty:

Look, I have no problems if Carrot and Caribou joins as well IF and ONLY IF they can show topnotch power, Haki, and skills with respect with the profession they're going to fill in, 3 of the most essential characteristics of those who will join the crew at this point... I'm not seeing those characteristics with those 2 at the moment...

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Seeing Carrot now, she's fighting Peros with Sulong with Sulong Wanda... So during a non-full moon and without Wanda, Carrot can't compete against vets... She'll just ending up being Chopper, Nami, Usopp tier (so-called Weakling Trio)... There's a reason why Chopper, despite probably being able to match base Robin, Franky and Brook using Monster Point, is included in that tier... Same thing will happen with Carrot and the crew doesn't need another weakling given the level of competition at this point onwards...

Imagine her joining and then BBP attacks Sunny:

Carrot: I can see rafts. (No idea)
Usopp: Eh? Wait let me see, I feel uneasy.
Luffy, ZSJ, Yamato: Feels danger.
Usopp: It's Blackbeard! We're doomed!
Luffy: Everyone, prepare for battle!
Nami and Chopper: (Cries)
Carrot: What? (Many vets and YCs already on board and ready to destroy Sunny and she failed to notice because she's busy talking to Luffy)
Luffy: Oh no, I forgot we have a new member who can't fight well against these guys without Wanda and a full moon!
Robin: We now have Weakling Quartet. Nami and Usopp can't fight against these guys as well without Tama. Chopper has no disease to fight as well.
Chopper, Nami, Usopp: Eh?
BB: Zehahahaha!
Luffy: Wait, it's not yet full moon and Wanda is not with us. Carrot can't fight your vets yet.
BBP: :gokulaugh:
Luffy: :lusalty:

Look, I have no problems if Carrot and Caribou joins as well IF and ONLY IF they can show topnotch power, Haki, and skills with respect with the profession they're going to fill in, 3 of the most essential characteristics of those who will join the crew at this point... I'm not seeing those characteristics with those 2 at the moment...
Yeah, would LOVE to have a crew mate who can only fight once a month over someone who was raised and trained by a Yonko...

Seeing Carrot now, she's fighting Peros with Sulong with Sulong Wanda... So during a non-full moon and without Wanda, Carrot can't compete against vets... She'll just ending up being Chopper, Nami, Usopp tier (so-called Weakling Trio)... There's a reason why Chopper, despite probably being able to match base Robin, Franky and Brook using Monster Point, is included in that tier...
Chopper is in weakling trio tier because of his naivety & battle experience, just like Usopp with his cowardice.

Status
Not open for further replies.