Character Discussion Sanji's character development analysis in Chapter 1,005!

Did Sanji get a good character development?

• Total voters

Hello WG, welcome to another Sanji topic of mine. Hope you guys have a great day and enjoy.:sweat::sweat:

A lot of people wanted Sanji this chapter to do the generic "I would rather die than talk" cool guy line.

But that's Pre-Timeskip Sanji

Sanji didn't wanna die a senseless death just because of his belief of not hurting a woman.
He had his friends that allowed him to keep his belief without dying.
That's what Strawhats do, they cover each other weaknesses.

That's why he trusted Robin can handle this for him as he tries to save his own life so that he could go do something else.

Captain Hague from Fire Force explains this well.

If Sanji were about to die, then who will protect the Strawhats crew then? The main role of Sanji is to saves the weak. Now it's the other Strawhats' turn to save Sanji this time.

Characters that have no idea about Sanji's belief, think that a man calling for woman's help is pathetic and "unmanly" (notice how these characters get beat by Sanji easy).

While character like Marco thinks otherwise.

And of course the character that is affected by Sanji's actions the most- Robin, is the happiest we've ever seen her be and that's thanks to Sanji's actions.

So if Robin is happy that Sanji did this, I don't think anyone else's opinion matters on this matter.

Sanji isn't trying to be the generic cool guy like Zoro that would rather die than ask for help.
Sanji's actions are cool if you understand his character arc.

Sanji calling to Robin for help is great because it just reinforces that part of the reason the Strawhats’ side will succeed is genuine trust, friendship, and bonds.

Saying Sanji's character got ruined is just false if you know his character and what happened to him.

If you are saying that you didn't want Sanji to encounter females, that's alright.
But that doesn't mean the character got ruined, it just means you don't like the plot that Oda wrote. But Sanji's character's progression was good this chapter whether you like it or not.:kayneshrug:

That's all from me, peace out.:cheers:
Now that I have seen the panel of nami saying that running away is also apart of sanji’s chivalry then I can accept what happened in the chapter. I liked the moment sanji asked robin for help. But I couldn’t make sense as to why sanji didn’t just simply run away from Black Maria.

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Hey, Goat? Why does your thread look suspiciously like this one posted on Reddit yesterday?
...So none of us are gonna talk about how Goat straight up stole this entire post?? I’m sorry, but if we want the rest of the virtual OP community to take us seriously, we can’t be doing shit like this. Even if we all have unbelievably stupid opinions, they should at least be expressed with our own words.
Now that I look a little closer, Goat just straight up plagiarised someone else's work lmao.

@Zoro D Goat Wtf bro?

...So none of us are gonna talk about how Goat straight up stole this entire post?? I’m sorry, but if we want the rest of the virtual OP community to take us seriously, we can’t be doing shit like this. Even if we all have unbelievably stupid opinions, they should at least be expressed with our own words.
Goat of all people?

:josad::josad::josad::josad::josad::josad:

Edit: it even sounds like something the retards in reddit would type.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
Most beefs I've seen from people here are either Sanji is garbage for getting himself into that situation, and that he made Robin fight a fight she could have avoided while annoucing her position to the whole island. People only went further when their fav (in this case Zoro) got compared to Sanji or talked down/bashed or whatever.
Naturally there are people who just like to trash Sanji's character whenever it is possible, but don't pretend that it isn't the same case with Zoro, so it's just trolling at this point and what's the point to even complain about that.
Also "developped back to back" is not really being the case here when they are the same kind of "development". Anyway this can be attributed to Oda's way of writing Shitwriting if you want.

Zoro and everyone were riding the Huge Whale to escape, Hody was KOed, Zoro achieved his goal by using minimal efforts. It's only during their escape that Hody got back to life thanks to the drug and surprised them from behind. Fodders who were fed drugs caught up while Hody holding the Whale off, and they made everyone losing their breathing. All of this happened underwater and after everyone had been holding their breath for a while. For me this is less PIS than the situation with Sanji.

Onto Sanji's case, it's pure PIS at this point, that you and I agree on. But it's also shitwriting, and I'm aware of that fact. I meant Sanji burnt/did whatever before to get out and beat the male Gifters but got caught again and couldn't escape by himself one more time. Still it's his fault for not focusing on his escape when he realized he got trapped, instead he went on fighting while knowing he shouldn't be there. But he did gain a few infos so there's that.
Oda doesn't like Sanji that much, you better prepare yourself to defend him more in the future. I could be wrong tho. :yasu:

And one advice, don't defend Sanji by bringing up Zoro because that will only worsen the situation and help nothing because they are not the same. :sanmoji:
Here's a thing. Oda could have just make Sanji going to the rooftop and let Robin take care of Black Maria herself but plot doesn't allow it. And it's not like Robin's gonna stay in one place anyway. Zoro and Sanji cases are different and similar at the same time. It's not wrong to compare them when both of them got into a similar situation before.

For the Zoro's case in FI I agree with you. His situation is exceptional because of underwater breathing issue but he still got captured nonetheless. Yes, Sanji being caught is just pure PIS. Oda wants to make a Kalifa 2.0 but worse. Kalifa at least have a key and Sanji have a reason to fight her. But for Black Maria, Oda uses Sanji to hyped up Robin. Sanji didn't really achieve anything beside character growth. Not everything has to be power level related.

Nah, Oda doesn't hate Sanji but rather holding back Sanji for now because Sanji will have a bigger role in the future. And nothing wrong with bringing up Zoro when Luffy, Robin, Usopp, Jinbei, Nami got mentioned as well.
Hey, Goat? Why does your thread look suspiciously like this one posted on Reddit yesterday?
Aye you got me..... But I got inspired by that post so I post it here. It doesn't matter if I got the idea from someone else as long as everything is valid. So let's keep thing civil here.
You should have used the official translation there are many inaccuracies in early translations, other than that I have nothing do disagree, his character was made with this trait, this is what made him interesting and I don't think oda will ever change this aspect of his and rightly so.
Edit this part below isn't refered to @Zoro D Goat just wanted to be clear
Now you can complain for how much you want and start imagining things and building fake hype, but if you don't understand the basics of this character and want to change it each time saying oda ruined him than you don't relay understand Sanji's character and sounds to me like you are not really a fan of him, but just of some scenes he was in and maybe you like to argue a bit to much with the zoro fanbase and choose sanji as your weapon of choice.

If you got offended I'm sorry, but I think I had a bit to much of this constant complaining. Anyway for the person that arrived this far I say don't take it to seriously it's a fictional series, enjoyed till it lasts and if you don't like it anymore take a break and come back when the arc has ended. Wish you a great day reader stay sexy and you to @Zoro D Goat
Nah it's all good. It's just some fun debate. No need to take things seriously.:cheers:
It's fine. It's not like the first time that people does this. But that's not the point here. We're talking about Sanji as a character and he grow from mistakes. Let's keep this opinion talk somewhere else.:kata:
Now that I have seen the panel of nami saying that running away is also apart of sanji’s chivalry then I can accept what happened in the chapter. I liked the moment sanji asked robin for help. But I couldn’t make sense as to why sanji didn’t just simply run away from Black Maria.
It's called PIS.

Aye you got me..... But I got inspired by that post so I post it here. It doesn't matter if I got the idea from someone else as long as everything is valid. So let's keep thing civil here.
It matters you need to give credit to the original author and not talk like it was completely your thread.

It's fine. It's not like the first time that people does this. But that's not the point here. We're talking about Sanji as a character and he grow from mistakes. Let's keep this opinion talk somewhere else.:kata:

It's called PIS.
It doesnt matter how many people did it or still does it, Its not a good look. If other people do it its also a bad look on them.

Not trying to be harsh, But this a very bad look for you.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
It matters you need to give credit to the original author and not talk like it was completely your thread.

It doesnt matter how many people did it or still does it, Its not a good look. If other people do it its also a bad look on them.

Not trying to be harsh, But this a very bad look for you.
Fine. I already apologize. Can we get back to topic now?

Hello WG, welcome to another Sanji topic of mine. Hope you guys have a great day and enjoy.:sweat::sweat:

A lot of people wanted Sanji this chapter to do the generic "I would rather die than talk" cool guy line.

Sanji didn't wanna die a senseless death just because of his belief of not hurting a woman.

That's why he trusted Robin can handle this for him as he tries to save his own life so that he could go do something else.

If Sanji were about to die, then who will protect the Strawhats crew then? The main role of Sanji is to saves the weak. Now it's the other Strawhats' turn to save Sanji this time.

Characters that have no idea about Sanji's belief, think that a man calling for woman's help is pathetic and "unmanly" (notice how these characters get beat by Sanji easy).

And of course the character that is affected by Sanji's actions the most- Robin, is the happiest we've ever seen her be and that's thanks to Sanji's actions.

So if Robin is happy that Sanji did this, I don't think anyone else's opinion matters on this matter.

Sanji isn't trying to be the generic cool guy like Zoro that would rather die than ask for help.

Sanji calling to Robin for help is great because it just reinforces that part of the reason the Strawhats’ side will succeed is genuine trust, friendship, and bonds.

Saying Sanji's character got ruined is just false if you know his character and what happened to him.

If you are saying that you didn't want Sanji to encounter females, that's alright.
But that doesn't mean the character got ruined, it just means you don't like the plot that Oda wrote. But Sanji's character's progression was good this chapter whether you like it or not.:kayneshrug:

Yes, it was also the point of the previous arc, when Sanji didn’t believe his friends were strong enough and just left with Capone. Oda shows us that now he learned the lesson and has faith in Robin. Unfortunately too many people are focused on power levels power levels power levels power levels everywhere

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I’m not attacking you, but you quoted someone else’s words/thoughts almost verbatim and didn’t give the OP any credit...that’s not cool even if other people do it, it’s also stealing when they pass the work of others off as their own.

Here's a thing. Oda could have just make Sanji going to the rooftop and let Robin take care of Black Maria herself but plot doesn't allow it. And it's not like Robin's gonna stay in one place anyway. Zoro and Sanji cases are different and similar at the same time. It's not wrong to compare them when both of them got into a similar situation before.

For the Zoro's case in FI I agree with you. His situation is exceptional because of underwater breathing issue but he still got captured nonetheless. Yes, Sanji being caught is just pure PIS. Oda wants to make a Kalifa 2.0 but worse. Kalifa at least have a key and Sanji have a reason to fight her. But for Black Maria, Oda uses Sanji to hyped up Robin. Sanji didn't really achieve anything beside character growth. Not everything has to be power level related.

Nah, Oda doesn't hate Sanji but rather holding back Sanji for now because Sanji will have a bigger role in the future. And nothing wrong with bringing up Zoro when Luffy, Robin, Usopp, Jinbei, Nami got mentioned as well.
Well it's in Sanji DNA that he has to help the unfortunate women, so it was obvious he was gonna get trapped or distracted from the moment Jinbei appeared, or even before that with the introduction of a brothel, where women have to sell their body. Ye but Robin can be doing other jobs as her ability is made for spying, imagine they can counter the Mary's Network with Robin's own network, I get that Robin deserved her own fight tho, just making an ex to what could she do if she didn't fight BM.

Well I get that they both got trapped but the situation were different for them, environment and context wise. But you seem to agree on what I said about Zoro in FI so I'll pass on that here. And yes Oda used Sanji as a hype tool. Tho again, I'm disagreeing on Sanji's character growth this chapter as I've already explained why. I enjoy reading OP not only because it has cool fights.

Well I was being kinda trolling about the Oda hating Sanji, but ye his potrayal so far after TS hasn't been that good. Well it was just a simple advice of mine, you don't need to take it to heart. :blush:

I think Oda lurks around here and just wants to see Sanji fans pissed off honestly lmao

Unrelated, but as a man of culture, don't think for a second that I did not notice that panty shot. :cheers:

So actual character development would’ve been for Sanji to stop being a raging sexist with a massive simp complex instead of clinging to outdated values from the 8th century BC.

Notice how the panel of Jinbe, the most mature crew member noting Sanji’s fuckup is conveniently missing from this, uh, ‘analysis’. More like damage control and mental gymnastics to try and justify how pathetic it is for Sanji to once again get another crewmate to solve his problems. Make that two because instead of just one person holding off Black Maria, they had to send Brook as well, preventing him from helping out elsewhere.

Nice work, loser. Once again proving his father and brothers right.
He can't stop being a simping prince who doesn't hit woman more than Zoro can stop being a Samurai who will always be stronger than Sanji and have sense of Honor. This is Sanji at his core. Mr. Bushido and Mr. Prince.

I gotta say that's very wrong to steal someone else's content and pretend it's yours. And apologizing doesn't make it ok, especially if you consider it's fine, or that it doesn't matter. It does matter. But I find some of you pretty harsh on him though, the guy is only 17.

I can't say I agree with the analysis itself because I think it gives Oda way too much credit. I feel like this whole "character development" you mentioned only comes from a fan who overthought everything involving his favorite character. I very much doubt it was a conscious choice from Oda, he's just not consistent in the way he writes certain characters, at least since the timeskip. Their way of thinking and behavior depend on the story Oda wants to tell and how he wants to tell it, when it's the story that should depend on its characters.