Rate Yamato

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
@Marimo_420: you need to read this Baby.
Declaring her other name was a pretty great moment and so was her prasing Oden without doing a little self insert.

Having the courage to fight for what is right due to Oden is amazing.

Thinking that you're Momosuke's dad isn't.

Her making a distinction is what made for a great character moment. Now she needs to continue along this route, stop the role play/self insert outright, and grow enough throughout the fight with Kaido or whatever else she may accomplish in Wano, and she may indeed become a great female character.

And no, while I dislike Oden, my dislike for Yamato isn't due to him, it's rather for her own cringiness. She could role play as Zoro or anyone else and she would still be trash.

Her head clearly needs a little wobble.

Spitting.

Yamato's best moments come from her worship of Kozuki Oden:

It's an integral part of her character and who she is even as Yamato.

Some folks just hate Oden so much they let their hatred taint everything associated with him.
:kayneshrug:
Yeah those moments are great because it's her own character that was inspired by Oden but doesn't take away her individuality.
I just don't like the moments where she acted like she was literally Oden but those are very few and used for comedy.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
So you goin say she was better than me in bed? :lusalty:
Yeah.

I just don't like the moments where she acted like she was literally Oden but those are very few and used for comedy.
I agree with this. I'm just hoping that Oda doesn't make it her "gag".

Now she needs to continue along this route, stop the role play/self insert outright, and grow enough throughout the fight with Kaido or whatever else she may accomplish in Wano, and she may indeed become a great female character.
This has been toned down a lot. She rarely mentioned being Oden after she declared her name to be Yamato.

If Oda doesn't decided to make it her gag, it will disappear entirely soon enough.

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Yeah.

I agree with this. I'm just hoping that Oda doesn't make it her "gag".

This has been toned down a lot. She rarely mentioned being Oden after she declared her name to be Yamato.

If Oda doesn't decided to make it her gag, it will disappear entirely soon enough.

It's a very good start on Yamatos character. Hopefully Oda can leave that stuff completely behind, and explore more on her individual qualities which he has been doing on the recent chapters.

Still, I'm going to need alot more than "Oden would have done this", and a battle thirty female to call her a great character.

P

PeperLevi

She already is lmao
Like seriously her supposed Oden act has only really come out in her few cringe moments with Momo and her being like "he's technically my son", but other than that Yamato is already her own fully fledged character and won't change much after dropping the Oden persona.
Spitting.

Some folks just hate Oden so much they let their hatred taint everything associated with him.
That "moment" wasn't enough for me. I have a extremely refined taste for characters,especially when it comes to One Piece. Characters can't win my appreciation that easily.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
That "moment" wasn't enough for me. I have a extremely refined taste for characters,especially when it comes to One Piece. Characters can't win my appreciation that easily.
It's a very good start on Yamatos character. Hopefully Oda can leave that stuff completely behind, and explore more on her individual qualities which he has been doing on the recent chapters.

Still, I'm going to need alot more than "Oden would have done this", and a battle thirty female to call her a great character.
Her interactions with Ace were lovely, and she never once told Ace that she was Oden:

Ever since 994's "My Name is Yamato", her being Oden has only ever been used (and thankfully lightly) as comedy.

The fact that it was absent during her flashback with Ace is telling; Yamato had not yet undergone the character development to leave Oden behind. So I'm guessing it was always an element Oda intended to have her quickly evolve out of.

Oden would have done this is fine — I mean he is her idol — it's fine to want to emulate him.

The reason Yamato refused to compromise on Momonosuke and Shinobu. The reason she endured an endless barrage of cannon fire while continuing to decimate Sasaki's Armoured Division was exactly because she witnessed Oden boil alive for an hour while ensuring that not a single hair on any of his vassals was singed.

That unyielding resolution — that defiance of Oden's — is what inspired Yamato, and it's why refuses to back down. That same resolve Oden has, gives her strength.

When Yamato is not trying to literally be Oden, her Oden worship works very well. It's intrinsic to her character and it's not something that needs to be discarded.

See this scene from her conversation with Ace?

It's inspired from her Oden worship, but it's organic.

Even then, there are decisions that she has taken as Yamato that had nothing to do with Oden.

When she disowned Kaido, it wasn't because it's what Oden would have done, it's because he was a father that was willing to kill his only child:

She wasn't crying because Oden would have cried.

When she declared: "let my Father die", it wasn't because that's what Oden would have done:

Even her desire to face Kaido is not solely because of Oden.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭

^ Yamato was stopped by someone when she rushed to save Momo.
@Cinera That someone was Jack, her childhood friend who tried preventing his friend to get beaten up again.
That's plausible. I read this as: "she was too weak to oppose her father ", but Jack preventing her from getting beaten by her father works as well.

I wouldn't mind another Yamato flashback with Jack. I don't know if we have the time (someone needs to delay Kaido until Luffy returns).

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Spitting.

You won't find a greater Oden hater on this forum than myself.
Even then, I like his "role" on Yamato's character.
People just don't like Yamato because they thought she would be a guy, and not only that, he would be this monstrous enemy and, for some reason, Zoro's opponent. The "Ace" of the Beast Pirates.
It's just the reality check that some people can't deal with, making a chunk of Yamato haters salty.
Others might not like her for more valid reasons. it happens.:kayneshrug:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
You won't find a greater Oden hater on this forum than myself.
Even then, I like his "role" on Yamato's character.
People just don't like Yamato because they thought she would be a guy, and not only that, he would be this monstrous enemy and, for some reason, Zoro's opponent. The "Ace" of the Beast Pirates.
It's just the reality check that some people can't deal with, making a chunk of Yamato haters salty.
Others might not like her for more valid reasons. it happens.:kayneshrug:
I think she still is the Ace of the Beast Pirates (and Kaido did raise her as his son), but she's an ally and prospective Nakama instead. I prefer that to an arc antagonist.

Yamato is about the only formidable female combatant in the series.

There will be many more enemies for the Strawhats to fight, it would have been a real waste to confine her to one arc.

Regarding Oden, my feelings are not too dissimilar; I don't care for the guy himself, but I appreciate the impact he's had on Yamato.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Her interactions with Ace were lovely, and she never once told Ace that she was Oden:

Ever since 994's "My Name is Yamato", her being Oden has only ever been used (and thankfully lightly) as comedy.

The fact that it was absent during her flashback with Ace is telling; Yamato had not yet undergone the character development to leave Oden behind. So I'm guessing it was always an element Oda intended to have her quickly evolve out of.

Oden would have done this is fine — I mean he is her idol — it's fine to want to emulate him.

The reason Yamato refused to compromise on Momonosuke and Shinobu. The reason she endured an endless barrage of cannon fire while continuing to decimate Sasaki's Armoured Division was exactly because she witnessed Oden boil alive for an hour while ensuring that not a single hair on any of his vassals was singed.

That unyielding resolution — that defiance of Oden's — is what inspired Yamato, and it's why refuses to back down. That same resolve Oden has, gives her strength.

When Yamato is not trying to literally be Oden, her Oden worship works very well. It's intrinsic to her character and it's not something that needs to be discarded.

See this scene from her conversation with Ace?

It's inspired from her Oden worship, but it's organic.

Even then, there are decisions that she has taken as Yamato that had nothing to do with Oden.

When she disowned Kaido, it wasn't because it's what Oden would have done, it's because he was a father that was willing to kill his only child:

She wasn't crying because Oden would have cried.

When she declared: "let my Father die", it wasn't because that's what Oden would have done:

Even her desire to face Kaido is not solely because of Oden.
Btw, my favorite part about her interaction with Ace, is she saying he would have gotten along with Roger, and he agreeing without knowing who she was talking about. lmao.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Btw, my favorite part about her interaction with Ace, is she saying he would have gotten along with Roger, and he agreeing without knowing who she was talking about. lmao.
That was nice.

I loved:

Ace telling Yamato not to let Kaido shackle her heart as well:

Yamato declaring her desire to be free and breaking Kaido's dragon statue:

Ace affirming that decision:

Ace lamenting being unable to leave with Yamato and Yamato swearing that if she ever gets the cuffs off, she'll set out to sea as well:

Yamato's glee when she asked Ace to tell her about the sea:

Yamato and Ace's goodbye:

Yamato teasing Ace for talking about Luffy way too much:

Yamato's smile whenever she reminisces about Ace:

They were such good friends. Luffy and Yamato — Luffy and any other Strawhat really — haven't shown such a good rapport together.

This was by far my favourite flashback in the manga.

It really fleshed out Yamato as a person, and made me better able to empathise with her as another human being.

Something else I loved about Yamato, and which had nothing to do with her Oden worship.

@Marimo_420, @PeperLevi, @Den_Den_Mushi, @Oblivion, @KiriNigiri, @Buusatan94, @Light D Lamperouge, @Shelby, @Natalija, @Kiwipom.

It's vastly accepted how someone's past can shape up an individual in the OP verse, it would be intriguing to find out what caused Yamato to shape up her own personality. I kinda have an idea; Oden's heroism, Ace's energy, Kaido's brutality and presumanble disrepect, I think all these factors heavily contributed.

P

PeperLevi

That was nice.

I loved:

Ace telling Yamato not to let Kaido shackle her heart as well:

Yamato declaring her desire to be free and breaking Kaido's dragon statue:

Ace affirming that decision:

Ace lamenting being unable to leave with Yamato and Yamato swearing that if she ever gets the cuffs off, she'll set out to sea as well:

Yamato's glee when she asked Ace to tell her about the sea:

Yamato and Ace's goodbye:

Yamato teasing Ace for talking about Luffy way too much:

Yamato's smile whenever she reminisces about Ace:

They were such good friends. Luffy and Yamato — Luffy and any other Strawhat really — haven't shown such a good rapport together.

This was by far my favourite flashback in the manga.

It really fleshed out Yamato as a person, and made me better able to empathise with her as another human being.

Something else I loved about Yamato, and which had nothing to do with her Oden worship.

@Marimo_420, @PeperLevi, @Den_Den_Mushi, @Oblivion, @KiriNigiri, @Buusatan94, @Light D Lamperouge, @Shelby, @Natalija, @Kiwipom.
This also wasn't great for me. I also never liked Tama as character and her flashback with Ace didn't do earn her more of my appreciation.