Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I’ve read more “defenses” of Carrot’s chances than you’ve written and have never seen anything more substantial than “She’s hung around long enough to merit doing something big,” which really only applied before Yamato’s introduction. She’s NOT a great fighter; all she did in Sulong during WCI was rip some ships apart, and in case you didn’t notice, Perospero made extremely short work of her AND Wanda a few chapters ago (her last appearance to date) because they’re totally ineffective without seeing the moon, so I reject that premise out of hand. Nami also uses electricity, and according to others of your ilk, we can’t have overlapping powers on the crew (*squints in two swordsmen before Franky whipped one out this arc*). Yamato and every single other character of note in OP is also brave, it’s hilarious to see you use that as somehow specific to the rabbit. “Incredible leaping abilities” doesn’t deserve any further mention than this, just as meaningless as saying “She’s a lookout” because she can see. Yamato also has the curiosity and desire to sail the world, y’all also love using this as a point for Carrot but not the obvious choice. Once again, Yamato’s also Kaido’s daughter so not strictly human AND has a DF transformation of another species. Can’t wait to hear your response to this one, I’m sure you have more reasons that haven’t been run into the ground and routinely disproven!! :few:
Look I've got nothing against Yamato joining, especially if she can add more muscle to the group but besides her incredible strength, DF abilities and great looks, she has nothing to contribute for being part of the group. And all of her moves are just the same as her father Kaido. Jinbe has been relatively less significant since his introduction and really showed himself at WCI for being an incredible helmsman.

But Carrot helped the crew escape via the mirror world alongside Chopper after outsmarting Brulee and her minions. And yes, she is an incredible fighter when she fought off Big Mom's crew and the Beast Pirates that invaded her home, even though she's only 15, which makes that yet another reason why she has so much to explore the world for. Also, Perosoero didn't make extremely short work of her as he admitted that if it weren't for her Su Long form, she would have taken him down. And mind you this, Su Long can also make a mink incredibly exhausted, which is another thing that contributed to her "quick" downfall. That means she still has time to improve that too like we've seen the other characters improve their abilities over time. And yes, her leaping abilities makes a lot of sense for her potential position as a lookout for the crew.

And because many have predicted the Straw Hats for bringing the New Dawn to the world and Pedro's wish to have Carrot accompany them to that point, gives her stay with the crew even more merit.

We've come to expect so much from each new Strawhat, so people write Carrot off because there's no room for an extended flashback. But like... Zoro was the first Strawhat, and his backstory was literally "my friend who wanted to be strong died, also I want to be strong". Jimbei had a backstory, but it was much more Neptune/Otohime/Fisher Tiger than Jimbei centered. Why can't Carrot be the same? Carrot has a good relationship Luffy and a reason to want to sail with the crew, that's good enough for me.

Sulong in general always seems like a double edged sword, rather than a blessing-irrespective of which mink shows or uses it, Carrot included.

Pekoms used Sulong to save Luffy and Sanji and help him escape and its implied that he got his eyes gouged out for doing that.

Pedro can use Sulong and he sacrificed himself by blowing himself up to save the Straw Hats from big mom without even using Sulong.

All the minks who used Sulong in the roof top fight with the scarrabs against kaido are lying still on the ground, most likely killed or knocked out, and if they are knocked out unconscious-they can't change back to their normal form, which is dangerous and increases the risks of them dying from staying in that state for too long.

Inu and Neko had lost an arm and a leg to Jack, and right now it looks like Jack might take more off Inu in their 1v1 fight, with Inu at a disadvantage of not being able to use Sulong form again, as quoted by Jack himself.

I honestly fail to see just how Sulong makes Carrot special, if anything its more like a double edged sword, that has turned into a curse because every mink- including Carrot is forced to use it, and paid for it so they can help the Scarabs in their fight against Kaido.

The fights after Wano are only going to get harder, more risky, and more dangerous for the Straw Hat crew. Does that mean that Carrot is gonna need to use Sulong every arc she is in from now on? (we've already seen her use it twice) She won't live for long if that happened. If that's the case-god knows the amount of plot Oda would need just to give Carrot fights using Sulong while also keeping her alive.

Carrot should join the crew because she can use Sulong doesn't sound like a sensible argument imo. If people are so stuck on the idea of wanting a majestic beast in the crew that isn't Monster Chopper, then we already have Yamato and her Mythical Zoan- at least her Devil Fruit doesn't put the user in danger and risk of death when using it, it also isn't limited to just once a month use either. Sulong can only be used at night during a full moon- there are quite a few restrictions that don't fit the pace of One Piece arcs.

Only at night, once a month and heavy exhaustion after usage- doesn't fit well with the Straw Hat crew's and One Piece's pace, given the fact that multiple arcs post timeskip with multiple battles and fights happened in the matter of days and less than a week, sometimes even less than a day. Sulong Carrot would have been absolutely useless in the first three arcs of the Post-Time-Skip: Fishman Island, Punk Hazard and Dressrosa. If this is the result for the arcs that have already happened, what does that say for the arcs going forward??

Last edited:
Well call me confused. The closest and most lengthy interaction between Luffy and Carrot was when she bit his neck after leaving Zou. Other than that, Luffy just shouted her name when she got attacked and no interactions at all in Wano.

Carrot is nothing but an ally to Luffy...
Luffy GAVE HER FOOD, LUFFY GIVING FOOD TO SOMEONE... XDxDxD
And actually remember her name...
But Ok, believe what you want to believe xD

We've come to expect so much from each new Strawhat, so people write Carrot off because there's no room for an extended flashback. But like... Zoro was the first Strawhat, and his backstory was literally "my friend who wanted to be strong died, also I want to be strong". Jimbei had a backstory, but it was much more Neptune/Otohime/Fisher Tiger than Jimbei centered. Why can't Carrot be the same? Carrot has a good relationship Luffy and a reason to want to sail with the crew, that's good enough for me.
Because both backstories are a lot more compelling than Carrot's?
Post automatically merged:

also, Zoro's backstory is a lot better once you read baratie and see how far he goes for his dream.

Last edited:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Luffy GAVE HER FOOD, LUFFY GIVING FOOD TO SOMEONE... XDxDxD
And actually remember her name...
But Ok, believe what you want to believe xD
Luffy remembers lots of people's name and giving her food automatically makes their relationship good and on the level if the SH? Even Rebecca had a better relationship with Luffy than Carrot.

Because both backstories are a lot more compelling than Carrot's?
Post automatically merged:

also, Zoro's backstory is a lot better once you read baratie and see how far he goes for his dream.
How compelling a backstory is is completely subjective. Carrot snuck on the Sunny because she wanted to see the world, but by the end of WCI put her life on the line to let her new friends escape... I'd say that's going pretty far.

Luffy remembers lots of people's name and giving her food automatically makes their relationship good and on the level if the SH? Even Rebecca had a better relationship with Luffy than Carrot.
True, but Luffy 100% would have let Rebecca join the crew even though she'd be useless, she's the one that decided to stay.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
How compelling a backstory is is completely subjective. Carrot snuck on the Sunny because she wanted to see the world, but by the end of WCI put her life on the line to let her new friends escape... I'd say that's going pretty far.

True, but Luffy 100% would have let Rebecca join the crew even though she'd be useless, she's the one that decided to stay.
Luffy would let anyone join if he likes them, including zombie trees and unicorns. Only 8 of the like, 80 people Luffy likes has joined as they have narrative and thematic importance to be a SH.

Saying Luffy likes Carrot isnt an argument.

Luffy would let anyone join if he likes them, including zombie trees and unicorns. Only 8 of the like, 80 people Luffy likes has joined as they have narrative and thematic importance to be a SH.

Saying Luffy likes Carrot isnt an argument.
That's fair, and I would personally say that Carrot is less than likely to become a mainstay Strawhat, but "their backstory isn't compelling" wouldn't be an argument against it either. Carrot not getting much panel time in Wano is more objective... but then it's not like Jimbei got panel time in Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
That's fair, and I would personally say that Carrot is less than likely to become a mainstay Strawhat, but "their backstory isn't compelling" wouldn't be an argument against it either. Carrot not getting much panel time in Wano is more objective... but then it's not like Jimbei got panel time in Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.
Its more that Carrot was completely happy without conflict in her past in Zou which is unlike anything we've seen from a SH. All the SHs are therapeutic rejects.

Yeah, but when Jinbe was involved, he got a lot of consistent focus in the arcs he appeared in.

Eh, Carrots backstory was superficial at best. With how brief and glossed over it was, it doesn't really pack the big of a punch.

Yeah, but when Jinbe was involved, he got a lot of consistent focus in the arcs he appeared in.

Eh, Carrots backstory was superficial at best. With how brief and glossed over it was, it doesn't really pack the big of a punch.
As a counterpoint, Zoro's backstory felt like a bit of a joke to me. Half of the focus was on Kuina feeling sidelined for being a girl, a thread that has nothing to do with Zoro at all... then she died from falling down stairs? It doesn't matter, though, because Zoro is an awesome character with formidable resolve.

As a counterpoint, Zoro's backstory felt like a bit of a joke to me. Half of the focus was on Kuina feeling sidelined for being a girl, a thread that has nothing to do with Zoro at all... then she died from falling down stairs? It doesn't matter, though, because Zoro is an awesome character with formidable resolve.
Still though, if I were to compare the two, Zoro's backstory 'feels more complete' than Carrots.

Funnily enough, Zoro's backstory was always kind of ridiculous.

Even then, Brook was missing in Thriller Bark for 11 consecutive chapters at one point. And that was in an arc which only had 48 chapters total and nowhere near as many different subplots or characters as Wano has.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Even then, Brook was missing in Thriller Bark for 11 consecutive chapters at one point. And that was in an arc which only had 48 chapters total and nowhere near as many different subplots or characters as Wano has.
But Brook was an integral part of Thriller Bark and had main villains that he needed the SHs to defeat for him. Even Robin vanished for a little bit during Water 7.

Carrot is still a side character for 2 arcs straight....she needs to become a main focus first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.