Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember in the weeks between "Kaido's son" first being mentioned and Yamao's reveal, some people speculated that Yamao would be some ugly fat meme as a troll since we'd expect Kaido's son to be a total badass. It seems like Oda genuinely considered the idea based on this concept design for Yamao:

Oda would be fully aware if a character was going to join the crew during the designing process. Does it seem likely that Oda created that design with the belief that it could possibly be the appearance of a new nakama?

To clarify, OP is obviously an extremely quirky series full of all sorts of crazy designs, but this isn't just some unusual design. It's straight up the type of character design you'd give as an intentional meme. A gag subverting the expectation of Kaido's badass powerful son with some ugly fat dwarf.

You could say "Well Oda didn't go with that design in the end so it doesn't mean anything at all." But the reason that isn't the case is that Oda considered the possibility of Yamao just being a joke character. If we believe that Oda prepares well in advance and knows who he wants to be the next straw hat, then it would be unusual for him to make such an immense change.

We know that Vivi was originally meant to be a one time side character, but Oda saw an opportunity to make her the princess and so he played into it, knowing full well all along she was never actually going to leave Alabasta with them. Same deal with Law. He was supposed to be a side character, but Oda decided to start building him up into something more, once again knowing that it was fine since ultimately he'd never actually join the crew.

The fact that the ugly troll design is completely unrecognisable from the Yamao we know today suggests that Oda didn't have a firm grasp on the main identity of her character, which most likely wouldn't be the case if she was always destined to join the crew.

Unsurprisingly though it seems like Oda always know the purpose he'd like Yamao to have. She was originally going to be named "Ninigi" after the deity who was sent by the sun goddess as an emissary to Japan to bring civilisation, justice and order to humans. https://mythopedia.com/japanese-mythology/gods/ninigi/
Though she had originally planned to send her son to Japan, Amaterasu, Queen of Heaven, saw that her grandson, Ninigi, was more suited for the job. She told Ninigi that he was to descend to the Earth, to the islands of Japan, and there plant the first rice crop, thus bringing civilization and justice to the land. A dutiful grandson, he agreed, even knowing he would never return to Heaven.
Chosen over his own father as Amaterasu’s emissary to Japan, Ninigi, through the planting of the first rice seed, brought civilization, justice and agriculture to the country. This story might be seen as representing the immigration of the Yayoi people from the Asian continent to Japan
-Sent by the Sun God(dess)
-As an emissary to Wano Japan
-Had a pivotal role in building up the country
-Results in immigration to Japan

I'm sure you can draw the parallels. These ideas are all still present in the current Yamao with her guardian of Wano devil fruit, her attack names referencing the god of nation building and other guardian themes, etc.

What makes you say this?
-The ugly design no means nothing more than Oda trolling, only looks Kaido kanabo, Luffy hat and Yamato sideboob. How do you take that things srlsy ?
That's completely different. The things you're talking about are fun SBS jokes of what certain things would look like personified. The picture I posted is literally one of Yamao's early designs. As in that was genuinely a legit possibility for how Yamao might look in the main story.

There was never any chance that Luffy would carry an ugly girl around on his head instead of his straw hat.
-The 50% of the mugiwaras are based in another history.

Brook are the perfect example, the arc of him are the arc that have most references of the history that inspired Oda.
Yes, Oda takes inspiration all the time. And of course he doesn't have to follow things exactly as they went down in the stories. But character names often have some relevance to the character. Capone Bege's story didn't end in exactly the same way as Al Capone's did, but the main point of inspiration was translated across in Bege's gang theme.

In Yamao's case, both her original name as well as her official name have connections to nation building and protecting (among other things).

What makes you say this?

That's completely different. The things you're talking about are fun SBS jokes of what certain things would look like personified. The picture I posted is literally one of Yamao's early designs. As in that was genuinely a legit possibility for how Yamao would look in the main story.

There was never any chance that Luffy would carry an ugly girl around on his head instead of his straw hat.

Yes, Oda takes inspiration all the time. And of course he doesn't have to follow things exactly as they went down in the stories. But character names often have some relevance to the character. Capone Bege's story didn't end in exactly the same way as Al Capone's did, but the main point of inspiration was translated across in Bege's gang theme.
1) Preliminar designs of mugiwaras from green databook (and the roles of them) and the serie originally its planned for only 5 years, insuficient time for Robin rescue + poneglyphs lore.

2) 50 & 50, only Oda knows. I dont think if that its a solid argument, but ok.

3) In some way that affects your candidate, based in Alice in wonderland. But okay as i say, that argument is a 50 & 50 (maybe yes, maybe no)

I remember in the weeks between "Kaido's son" first being mentioned and Yamao's reveal, some people speculated that Yamao would be some ugly fat meme as a troll since we'd expect Kaido's son to be a total badass. It seems like Oda genuinely considered the idea based on this concept design for Yamao:

Oda would be fully aware if a character was going to join the crew during the designing process. Does it seem likely that Oda created that design with the belief that it could possibly be the appearance of a new nakama?

To clarify, OP is obviously an extremely quirky series full of all sorts of crazy designs, but this isn't just some unusual design. It's straight up the type of character design you'd give as an intentional meme. A gag subverting the expectation of Kaido's badass powerful son with some ugly fat dwarf.

You could say "Well Oda didn't go with that design in the end so it doesn't mean anything at all." But the reason that isn't the case is that Oda considered the possibility of Yamao just being a joke character. If we believe that Oda prepares well in advance and knows who he wants to be the next straw hat, then it would be unusual for him to make such an immense change.

We know that Vivi was originally meant to be a one time side character, but Oda saw an opportunity to make her the princess and so he played into it, knowing full well all along she was never actually going to leave Alabasta with them. Same deal with Law. He was supposed to be a side character, but Oda decided to start building him up into something more, once again knowing that it was fine since ultimately he'd never actually join the crew.

The fact that the ugly troll design is completely unrecognisable from the Yamao we know today suggests that Oda didn't have a firm grasp on the main identity of her character, which most likely wouldn't be the case if she was always destined to join the crew.

Unsurprisingly though it seems like Oda always know the purpose he'd like Yamao to have. She was originally going to be named "Ninigi" after the deity who was sent by the sun goddess as an emissary to Japan to bring civilisation, justice and order to humans. https://mythopedia.com/japanese-mythology/gods/ninigi/

-Sent by the Sun God(dess)
-As an emissary to Wano Japan
-Had a pivotal role in building up the country
-Results in immigration to Japan

I'm sure you can draw the parallels. These ideas are all still present in the current Yamao with her guardian of Wano devil fruit, her attack names referencing the god of nation building and other guardian themes, etc.
Lmao look at the original design for Franky. It's the tiny dude on the far left in the picture @Queek Hea D Taker posted.

Robin looks amazing here tbh
My point isn't that the crew can never change. It obviously has. It's that Oda supposedly designed her, knowing she is to join the crew, and then gave her a gag design.
Zoro originally was part of Buggy's crew (later he would join the SHs)
Zoro is one of the triggers of OP so Oda decided very early on that he was going to be in the crew. Even then, the main appearance of the character is very similar.

My point isn't that the crew can never change. It obviously has. It's that Oda supposedly designed her, knowing she is to join the crew, and then gave her a gag design.

Zoro is one of the triggers of OP so Oda decided very early on that he was going to be in the crew. Even then, the main appearance of the character is very similar.
Maybe Oda designed Yamato first before deciding that she would join the crew.
I just find weird that outside the manga we are getting too much hype for Yamato.
But now I'm entering in headcanon territory so I will stop until new info is available to us.

1) Preliminar designs of mugiwaras from green databook (and the roles of them) and the serie originally its planned for only 5 years, insuficient time for Robin rescue + poneglyphs lore.
The green databook stuff is from way before the series even started. That's different from Yamao potentially being originally designed with the purpose of a specific joke in mind.
3) In some way that affects your candidate, based in Alice in wonderland. But okay as i say, that argument is a 50 & 50 (maybe yes, maybe no)
How? You're right, inspiration is clearly taken from Alice in Wonderland and moon rabbit lore for Carrot. But as I said, that doesn't mean things have to go exactly as they did in the tales.

In Carrot's case, her Sulong transformation and her sense of adventure are where the inspiration lies. Those are the key things Oda felt like highlighting for her character. Just like telling fables and lying are the things Oda wanted to focus on with Usopp. Or how protecting and nation building are the key things for Yamao.

Maybe Oda designed Yamato first before deciding that she would join the crew.
I just find weird that outside the manga we are getting too much hype for Yamato.
But now I'm entering in headcanon territory so I will stop until new info is available to us.
Yeah, perhaps. This clearly isn't a dealbreaker or definitively prove anything. It does however, suggest that Yamao was not originally intended to join the crew. What happens after that is Oda's choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.