Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some people here seem to think that Carrot is weaker than Usopp? Is it because they think Perospero is weak? Considering just physical strength she is clearly stronger than at least Usopp, Nami, and Robin.
Perospero has already been compared to Marco in this arc, and, if my memory is not mistaken, it wasn't in a 1 vs 1 that he lost to Nekomamushi, or was it?
Also, perhaps Perospero will rise again, so Carrot can have a rematch, and maybe show a new power up, preferably revealing that she is a special chosen one among the mink, which would be a new good reason for her to join the crew.

I'm fine with Yamato not joining as long as she travels with Luffy or at bare minimum goes out to sea some other way. Joining the crew aside, it would literally be a waste of dozens of chapters and buildup for her to change her mind on leaving Wano at the last minute.

I will always say it's the equivalent of Momo deciding not to be shogun after all these flashbacks and character moments building it up.
I think you have to be open to the possibility of her staying, considering that is a possible character arc

wether is provable or not doesn’t really matter, but to act like it’s impossible is silly

Why do some people here seem to think that Carrot is weaker than Usopp? Is it because they think Perospero is weak? Considering just physical strength she is clearly stronger than at least Usopp, Nami, and Robin.
Perospero has already been compared to Marco in this arc, and, if my memory is not mistaken, it wasn't in a 1 vs 1 that he lost to Nekomamushi, or was it?
Also, perhaps Perospero will rise again, so Carrot can have a rematch, and maybe show a new power up, preferably revealing that she is a special chosen one among the mink, which would be a new good reason for her to join the crew.
Ussop was still up after getting his skull cracked by ulti Adv CoA headbutt. Carrot lost all hopes of fighting just because perospero told her to eat grass:cheers:

Ussop was still up after getting his skull cracked by ulti Adv CoA headbutt. Carrot lost all hopes of fighting just because perospero told her to eat grass:cheers:
Yeah, but Usopp didn't have a full fight with Ulti, like Carrot had with Perospero.
It seems to me to make more sense to assume that Perospero did more powerful things against Carrot than Ulti did to Usopp.
Post automatically merged:

I think you have to be open to the possibility of her staying, considering that is a possible character arc

wether is provable or not doesn’t really matter, but to act like it’s impossible is silly
So far, what we have is the fact that Yamato said that she had information that Luffy, as Ace's younger brother, would let her, as Oden, board his ship.
And also the fact that Yamato said that, as Oden, she wants to protect Momo, she has to protect Momo, and she can die for Momo's sake.
So I think we still have to wait to hear what will be her final decision once she stops saying that she is Oden and begins to answer just as the woman called Yamato that she is.

Last edited:

I never said anything is impossible. There's been a good amount of plot threads in this arc alone that ended up ignoring the setup they were built on.

My point is that it goes against how the story is structured. It's in the same vein as Momo deciding he doesn't want to become shogun. Just like with him, nothing suggests in Yamato's character arc that she'll give up on what she wanted for 20 years. It's never shown as a character flaw and in fact, the main villain is trying to chain her there and says she'll never leave.

Is it technically possible she listens to Kaido and stays in Wano anyway? Sure. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be ignoring the setup around her as I said earlier.

I agree that Yamato will be below Sanji if she joins but I don't think the reason is to preserve the Zoro/Sanji "rivalry"

I think it's more so the fact that Sanji has always been the cemented #3 of the crew and that's never changed despite the constant clamors of "X character will take Sanji's spot in the M3"
Well we do see eye to eye if you believe Sanji is above Yamato IF Yamato joins.

IF Yamato doesn't join then Yamato being above Zoro/Sanji is a possibility.

Sanji is cemented as the number 3 in part because of the rivalry. Not much of a rivalry if Zoro is 2 and Sanji is below 3. Zoro would never let Sanji hear the end of it if there was a real noticeable gap between the two of them in the crew.

Plus the fact his name has the Japanese number 3 in "San" surely plays a part.
You need to read FI arc and the beginning of the raid...

Pseudo-nerfing the SHs the Oda's way is to give them "lesser" opponents or not giving one at all...

This...

People are just overreacting and gatekeeping TBH...
Why do I need to reread FI arc and beginning of the raid?

So Yamato will get downgraded by fighting lesser enemies even though being a more capable fighter??? Or worse no opponent at all!?! I can't see Oda having Yamato join in Wano after all the shenanigans to fight a scrub or to not have an opponent at all in the next arc. Yamato has to catch up with the the other Strawhats in prominence with less time until EoS. What else would give Yamato prominence besides fighting? Yamato has yet to have a defined role.

If someone disagrees with someone joining the crew is that gatekeeping? If so, then don't most if not all do it in this thread???
Depends.

I'm a Zoro fan and I hate the idea of her joining but not because I feel threatened she may overtake Zoro.

It's just stupid, zero background, no interactions with crew. She only repeats two lines which is I'm Oden and I knew Ace so I will sail with Luffy!
There are multiple reasons why Yamato won't join as you pointed out. I don't disagree.

The dynamic of the crew is important and someone new should not disrupt it but instead add to it. Jinbe has been carefully handled as inserting a former Warlord would have upset the dynamic if Jinbe joined pretimeskip.

If Oda was going to have Yamato join, this dynamic would be considered like Jinbe's postponing truly joining until the M3 definitely have or will surpass Yamato in said arc. So if Yamato "joins" it won't be this arc IF Yamato is above Zoro/Sanji.
Yamato destroys sanji for now ; that has nothing to do with sanji hate just facts @Berry Rich
As I stated if that's true Yamato isn't joining this arc. Yamato would have to ride with Luffy to the next arc and drop below Sanji before being an official crewmate.

Why would Oda even do this dance with a new crewmate? It's a messy setup.
Why make it about the rivalry.

Sanji will always be a close number 3 in the crew because he’s one of the three leaders of the crew and that he is one of luffys two most trusted crew mates.

Sanji and zoro are wings because of what they mean to Luffy not because Sanji is Zoros rival.

And no Yamato won’t change that. She’ll eventually go the way of Jinbe which everyone said “Jinbe will break the monster trio” and now Sanji can literally low diff Jinbe
The rivalry is not the only factor but a key factor.

Nami is a leader too. Zoro and Sanji are Luffy's most trusted combatants. The rivalry between Zoro and Sanji helps push them to maintain that status.

Sanji low diff Jinbe??? Not sure about that. Maybe mid-high diff but more likely high diff. Jinbe is a crewmate now so has the plot armor growth rate like the rest of them. And I doubt Jinbe has shown all of his techniques especially the secret ones.

Well we do see eye to eye if you believe Sanji is above Yamato IF Yamato joins.

IF Yamato doesn't join then Yamato being above Zoro/Sanji is a possibility.

Sanji is cemented as the number 3 in part because of the rivalry. Not much of a rivalry if Zoro is 2 and Sanji is below 3. Zoro would never let Sanji hear the end of it if there was a real noticeable gap between the two of them in the crew.

Plus the fact his name has the Japanese number 3 in "San" surely plays a part.

Why do I need to reread FI arc and beginning of the raid?

So Yamato will get downgraded by fighting lesser enemies even though being a more capable fighter??? Or worse no opponent at all!?! I can't see Oda having Yamato join in Wano after all the shenanigans to fight a scrub or to not have an opponent at all in the next arc. Yamato has to catch up with the the other Strawhats in prominence with less time until EoS. What else would give Yamato prominence besides fighting? Yamato has yet to have a defined role.

If someone disagrees with someone joining the crew is that gatekeeping? If so, then don't most if not all do it in this thread???

There are multiple reasons why Yamato won't join as you pointed out. I don't disagree.

The dynamic of the crew is important and someone new should not disrupt it but instead add to it. Jinbe has been carefully handled as inserting a former Warlord would have upset the dynamic if Jinbe joined pretimeskip.

If Oda was going to have Yamato join, this dynamic would be considered like Jinbe's postponing truly joining until the M3 definitely have or will surpass Yamato in said arc. So if Yamato "joins" it won't be this arc IF Yamato is above Zoro/Sanji.

As I stated if that's true Yamato isn't joining this arc. Yamato would have to ride with Luffy to the next arc and drop below Sanji before being an official crewmate.

Why would Oda even do this dance with a new crewmate? It's a messy setup.

The rivalry is not the only factor but a key factor.

Nami is a leader too. Zoro and Sanji are Luffy's most trusted combatants. The rivalry between Zoro and Sanji helps push them to maintain that status.

Sanji low diff Jinbe??? Not sure about that. Maybe mid-high diff but more likely high diff. Jinbe is a crewmate now so has the plot armor growth rate like the rest of them. And I doubt Jinbe has shown all of his techniques especially the secret ones.
I mean, I disagree on it being a key factor. Sanjis not just a leader like Nami. Nami even accepted Sanji as the captain in Dressrosa and that wasn’t because he’s Zoros rivals. He’s Sanjis number three it doesn’t have to do with Zoro at all it’s because Sanjis a great leader in his own right.

And yeah Fishman Island Sanji was already portrayed above Water Jinbe, since then he’s gotten his invisible speed, an exoskeleton, and IJ. Low diff is pretty fair

The gap is noticeable, because otherwise there wouldn't be a reason for Zoro to be the #2 and Sanji to be the #3.

But the M3 dynamic has never changed and you're right that no one will ever be between Zoro/Sanji nor above both of them on the crew. Like @Yasheen said I'm not sure why it has to be about Zoro. If anything it fuels more toxicity in the fandom to think of it that way

I personally don't think Oda ever writes with the intention to "fuel" or "preserve" the Zoro/Sanji rivalry, he just knows that their cemented roles on the crew are being the 2nd-strongest and 3rd-strongest respectively and gives them power-ups in accordance with that

The possibility rate is similar to Katakuri joining the SHP though...

So Yamato will get downgraded by fighting lesser enemies even though being a more capable fighter??? Or worse no opponent at all!?!
Yes...

The next straw hat is not on onigashima right now. They’ll be the ones to find the sunny and sail it to safety since it fell off onigashima into a WG ship covered ocean.
That’s not possible considering onigasima is basically in a a lake that needs to be climbed via the waterfall, while the WG has yet to climb it

Status
Not open for further replies.