Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 977 : "The Party Won't Start Now"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep making the same mistake I'm pointing out to you. This isn't about how they are all giants but how they're all portrayed to resemble onis in basically everything. Again, you are missing the whole picture by focusing on the details.

In Sabaody Drake's animal form is around the size of a Pacifista (around seven meters). I don't see how he's that MUCH larger than that in Wano. Comparing Sanji to Kuma and then to Drake they all seem to keep similar sizes. Page One of course was huge in animal form, Spinosaurus was the largest theropod ever known. And yet, they all significantly srink when in hybrid form, yet those humanoid giants are supposed to become like that because of their fruits? Even though one of them has such human traits that an hybrid form is very unlikely?

Anyways, that's not the point. You're trying to compare my take on the Numbers with a Tobi Roppo counter-argument but for it to work they shouldn't just be all ancient huge zoans but share the traits of a common reference (the oni in the Numbers case). So either the Numbers are an oni-mimicking squadron (to the point of all of them having drinking problems, not only just their attire, weapons, size...) or they're an oni-like race.

By the way, I don't see where the lizardman is holding anything, be it a barrell or whatever. I didn't even mention he was holding a human, only attacking him because there are what seems to be blood drops between a guy and the right claw of the creature).
check 944 and 945 Drake is at least 10 times Sanji in height, Drake was like only one or 2 meters above Kuma at most before Timeskip
I dont think talking over it gonna bring us to same conclusion so....I will be on the side where it says Headliners are under Jack,TobiRoppo inder Queen and Numbers under King and they can all have different types of abilities not similar attributes only, Headliners like Holdem and Hawkins, Tobi Roppo like P1 and Samurai, Numbers Like Joker and Apoo

People are at this point where they cant accept that, while the Strawhats arent at Yonko level yet, this arc or the next will bring them there. Hell, I expect Sanji/Zoro to fight Queen/King and become Yonko commanders, but I almost expect Luffy to fight a possible Ace as his main battle and THEN a teamup against Kaido/BM, to not topple a Yonko on his own before fighting Akainu/Blackbeard.
Kaido having an Ace on top of his commanders would be too much, im almost certain that wont be the case. And if he did, luffy fighting him before Kaido is also insane

How do you guys think the numbers are strength wise compared to the likes of PO?
It’s a hard one to guess tbh, it could go either way... the fact that Apoo is part of them makes it seem like they are comparable to the flying six which means they are pretty powerful fighters. Furthermore, the flying six seemed to have the hype as the strongest subordinates right beneath the calamities! However, it’s still a possibility that the numbers aren’t strong excluding Apoo and could just be decent fighters who are reserved for Chopper and Usopp and whoever else, just like how Hawkins is on another lvl to that of other headliners!

So from the viz,Kinemon&Denjiro plan to lead the troupes from the sides while Law brings the rest of the scabbards through the rear gate.Once there,law uses his powers to send the scabbards onto the island for them to land the final blow on kaido.
So like i said earlier,the scabbards are truly the ones set by the plan to deal with kaido.
Not law,not luffy,not zoro,not kid..
But when the scabbards are captured/defeated,the SNs are going to take the stage ;not before that though! !!
Meaning guys like luffy are going to have many warmup fights before the kaido confrontation.
Didnt you hear Law saying you cant plan with them? Plan applies for everyone in the alliance, except the Strawhats (and Kidd Pirates). Luffy and Kidd will go straight for Kaido, Big Mom will go straight for Luffy

He brought luffy close death but in the conflict there was basically no collateral from luffy's side. No lasting damage occurred. Yes luffy was injured but he recovered within days. The problem is the new world hasn't posed a threat to the strawhats . Nothing has happened. I mean no one has even got a scar since post time skip. We constantly get told there is a danger but nothing ever happens. Examples smiley is dangerous but all the marines survive, never have I really thought anyone is in danger and that is when big mom and kaido stop being a threat. It's not like they can cause any lasting damage. The strawhats have plot immunity and they just keep getting stronger luffy lost got put in prison and gained a load of allies he basically cant lose and that's the problem. Even when Usopp lost against Trebol he won. Without the threat of actually being able to do harm in non time skip setting then the yonko become harmless regardless of how hyped they become.
So far Luffy has faced a shichibukai and a yonko, this will be the 2nd yonko they confront. Shichibukai were a thing before the timeskip as well, he beat 2 and met/confronted some others as well. So after 2 years, if you expected them to suffer casualties to Doffy of all people, when pre timeskip they didnt suffer any vs Moria and Crocodile, i dont know what to say to you. Against BM they lost once, Jimbei betrays her. They lost again, the box explodes. Then BM goes mental and they still were checkmated, so there youd either have your wish granted and they actually suffer casualties, or Oda can sacrifice a non Strawhat to make them escape, which he did with Pedro. Then at the end Sun Pirates and Germa stepped in to let them escape.

Luffy was at his limits and they barely got out alive, i mean unless a SH actually dies, thats as far as Oda can push it

It’s a hard one to guess tbh, it could go either way... the fact that Apoo is part of them makes it seem like they are comparable to the flying six which means they are pretty powerful fighters. Furthermore, the flying six seemed to have the hype as the strongest subordinates right beneath the calamities! However, it’s still a possibility that the numbers aren’t strong excluding Apoo and could just be decent fighters who are reserved for Chopper and Usopp and whoever else, just like how Hawkins is on another lvl to that of other headliners!
I think PO only stands below the commanders honestly, he is pretty powerful.

Another character on the King, Queen, Jack tier? They arent enough strong characters on the alliance side, considering quite a number of them will be occupied with 2 yonko
I've named them already:

Ace vs. Luffy
King vs. Zoro
Queen vs. Sanji
Jack vs. Jinbe
Tobi Roppo vs. rest of Strawhats
Numbers vs. Scabbards
Others (Supernova) vs. Big Moms crew

Just as an example. I doubt Oda will make it THAT neat but...

I wholeheartedly believe Luffy will NOT get a true 1v1 with Kaido. It totally diminishes the threats of future villains like Akainu or Blackbeard or Im, REGARDLESS of how powerful the manga insinuates them to be. Kaido is the world's strongest creature. He needs to be taken down Oars style.

Having the Ace allows Luffy to have a real 1v1 battle without Oda making him broken when we are still years away from a conclusion. And yes, I think the alliance will have time to recover before fighting Kaido. It's only been 2 weeks and Hawkins told Luffy he has a 15% chance to survive the month.

Can I see Luffy take down Big Mom at Elbaf or something? Yes, because it's that much closer to the end (but I don't think BM is going down that way anyway).

And to be honest, with Kaido and Big Mom (and her crew present), does it really matter if there is one more high tier at this point? It's semantics, the alliance is overwhelmed with just the two Yonko, let alone their crews

I vehemently believe he knows this and will not let Luffy win over Kaido alone. Zoro being given Enma to possibly cut him again is what supports that the fight will not be a normal fight, but rather Oars style with all the supernova present.

Last edited:
I've named them already:

Ace vs. Luffy
King vs. Zoro
Queen vs. Sanji
Jack vs. Jinbe
Tobi Roppo vs. rest of Strawhats
Numbers vs. Scabbards
Others (Supernova) vs. Big Moms crew

Just as an example.

I wholeheartedly believe Luffy will NOT get a true 1v1 with Kaido. It totally diminishes the threats of future villains like Akainu or Blackbeard or Im, REGARDLESS of how powerful the manga insinuates them to be. Kaido is the world's strongest creature. He needs to be taken down Oars style.

Having the Ace allows Luffy to have a real 1v1 battle without Oda making him broken when we are still years away from a conclusion. And yes, I think the alliance will have time to recover before fighting Kaido. It's only been 2 weeks and Hawkins told Luffy he has a 15% chance to survive the month.

Can I see Luffy take down Big Mom at Elbaf or something? Yes, because it's that much closer to the end (but I don't think BM is going down that way anyway).
Luffy fought BMs no.1 previous arc, there is no point repeating that plotline again, when the antagonist and the man they planned to take down since entering the NW, is quite obviously Kaido (who is now allied to BM, so both can be taken care of). I honestly dont think there even is an "Ace", we got to see Kaidos top 3 already. Another fighter above King would make them too powerful compared to the other yonko crew we saw previous arc, so the current stalemate would make no sense.

It will take an extreme battle for the tag team (whoever is part of it) to win even at full power, but you want to put them in difficult battles before the main ones? No, Luffy and Kidd are going through fodder straight for Kaido, and BM is going straight for Luffy, he wont have time fighting commanders.

Regarding the tobbi roppo, i still dont see how the weaker Strawhats are gonna beat them. Some of them could, but it doesnt mean they will, there are tons of other matchups Oda can put them in. This is literally why there is an alliance full of strong people here with them. Because it will take all that to take out the top fighters of BM and Kaido.

And i still dont think we will get all these 1on1s you guys predict. Nami for example has a power suited for staying in the background and creating powerful attacks that can take out many enemies. Pinning her on one enemy the entire time is a waste of her potential. Same for Usopp. This is gonna be a full out war, so one person can fight more than one enemy at different points of the war, plus we are probably getting another force led by Neko joining in the middle of it, Kaidos supernovas turning on him etc. There is tons of ways to write this, them entering and then everyone getting a 1on1 is too boring for a war of this scale

And just to add to the whole Ace thing, this is something I've argued about for years at this point. When Jack was at Zo and Ginrummy\Sheepshead were also present, it was evident there was a Card motif going on. We've been talking about a Queen, King and Ace for years now. Then only Queen and King were revealed, and I still argued an Ace was somewhere still when OJ was around, just not revealed yet. Kaido having a son just solidifies that point for me, because it makes no sense to NOT have an Ace with a card motif. And Kaido is not the Ace, he was never introduced as such.

The other main point I've argued is that Luffy will NOT solo Kaido, who is the strongest creature. Imagine Luffy wins solo here, how will you feel when he fights Akainu? Kaido has been specified to never lose a 1v1 battle. They NEED to take him down together, let alone BM next to him. This isn't the Strawhats fleet arguing over who will fight Doflamingo, this is Kaido.

Luffy fought BMs no.1 previous arc, there is no point repeating that plotline again, when the antagonist and the man they planned to take down since entering the NW, is quite obviously Kaido (who is now allied to BM, so both can be taken care of). I honestly dont think there even is an "Ace", we got to see Kaidos top 3 already. Another fighter above King would make them too powerful compared to the other yonko crew we saw previous arc, so the current stalemate would make no sense.

It will take an extreme battle for the tag team (whoever is part of it) to win even at full power, but you want to put them in difficult battles before the main ones? No, Luffy and Kidd are going through fodder straight for Kaido, and BM is going straight for Luffy, he wont have time fighting commanders.

Regarding the tobbi roppo, i still dont see how the weaker Strawhats are gonna beat them. Some of them could, but it doesnt mean they will, there are tons of other matchups Oda can put them in. This is literally why there is an alliance full of strong people here with them. Because it will take all that to take out the top fighters of BM and Kaido.

And i still dont think we will get all these 1on1s you guys predict. Nami for example has a power suited for staying in the background and creating powerful attacks that can take out many enemies. Pinning her on one enemy the entire time is a waste of her potential. Same for Usopp. This is gonna be a full out war, so one person can fight more than one enemy at different points of the war, plus we are probably getting another force led by Neko joining in the middle of it, Kaidos supernovas turning on him etc. There is tons of ways to write this, them entering and then everyone getting a 1on1 is too boring for a war of this scale
Read the above. It's about Luffy getting something on his own regardless of who helps in the fight against Kaido. I don't think an Ace is outlandish because of the card motif. Big Mom clearly has the numbers in high tiers with her children. Anyway, we'll find out soon enough, no point in arguing.

Last edited:
S

Shura

Momo got kidnapped by sick, psychopathic perverts and Straw Hats are still celebrating Jinbei joining to them by throwing a party.

interesting.
It's not like they stopped sailing to onigaishima.....forget SH, you should ask scabbards if you are expecting some kind of so called "facial worries".......

there is no point in worrying....even Momo said he would take care of himself

People like to shit on this manga for absolutely no reason, like Oda hasn't already covered WHY they are the way they are right now the last 3 chapters.

Luffy acted absoutely dumb the entire ride to Enies Lobby. The difference is, here, his crewmate isn't captured, its a hell of a lot less personal. Look at the scabbards, they are taking this a lot more seriously (except Kinemon at points for a plan gag).

Really, you all need to chill the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.