One Piece Episode 1046 - Taking a Chance! Both Wings Go into Battle!

Rate?

• Total voters
Zorojuro with another W. Marco couldn't have been talking about anyone else apart from Zoro. Why? Because even if you ignore the translations, everyone else (King, Marco, Queen, sanji) were already on the stage, apart from Zoro :goyea:.

Zoro boys were and always are right once again. Shoutout to Toei fr :milaugh::steef:
Truly so :steef:

The translation itself is not wrong though as “star” is the correct term here however it’s the context that differs. As the star term is not identified by singular or plural but by the context of the situation Marco was referring to and if you read the manga it’s obvious it refers to both zoro and sanji as even the end of the chapter says both wings spring into action BUT the anime takes this and when Marco says “star” zoro comes flying behind him and even cuts queens lasers saving Marco *something that did not happen in the manga. This action in the anime changes things to fit the zoro is the star narrative and actually does a good job at it. Only problem is it doesn’t fit w the narrative oda establishes in the manga 💀.

If you wanna say zoro is the star looking at the anime you’d be right however that goes against the manga based on the context of the situation and even if we were to argue semantics as they were struggling so zoro coming into the fight turned the tides again that’d be more of an opinion piece as the manga does not display this notion but rather just zoro and sanji being highlighted in their stunning speedblitsing display vs king and queen. Cant really say “well sanji was already there so it makes sense for Marco to only be referring to zoro” either cuz the title of the chapter is literally grouping zoro and sanji. Why have a title if sanji was already fighting king and queen before then? Lol
Post automatically merged:

Maybe I did, I can't remember lol. But Japanese meanings are often reliant on context so I think either interpretation is valid. But in the manga, with the double spread, it made it seem like it was about both Zoro and Sanji tbh.
Exactly lol if it was referring to just zoro then oda did a shit job at indicating that and I’d like to believe if he wanted to indicate zoro as the Chad that he is then he would’ve done it no problem so…options

hmmmm you know Marco and Sanji never really interacted in Wano. Marco and Zoro did however. Him only talking about Zoro as a star makes somewhat sense. And when you factor in that chapter 1023 is Techinically a Zoro chapter based on the title. It’s understandable why Toei gave Zoro a little extra sauce.

Damn I wasn’t really familiar. Now that you said it like this it makes sense as to why toei wrote the scene the way they did. Still think it goes against the manga though but ehhhh I don’t have a dog in this fight 🦭

Yes, it was star, singular, the whole time.
We never found out who 1% guy is.
Zoro was able to shatter steel before Alabasta. Shatter=\=cut. You knew this already or did you? :milaugh:
Makes no sense for it to be star in singular; the whole narrative is about Zoro and Sanji taking the stage together to definetely take the "All-Stars" down and "take their places" as the true stars; hence the editor's note on the Wings appearing.

Hawkins confessed he was the 1% guy in his last chapter so far, of course we found out.

And yes, I know the difference between "shatter" and "cut", hence why I wrote CUT instead of SHATTER since Zoro CUT steel chains in Nelson's arc and also canonballs in a filler clash with Fullbody, both events happening before Arabasta. Just don't laugh at what you simply misunderstood, it's embarrassing.

What about Trébol? Do you have any wrongly-based take on that mistake from Toei?

it actually is ''star'' in the original japanese lol
Is there even a distinction between singular and plural in the original Japanese? If I recall correctly it's almost always about context.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Makes no sense for it to be star in singular; the whole narrative is about Zoro and Sanji taking the stage together to definetely take the "All-Stars" down and "take their places" as the true stars; hence the editor's note on the Wings appearing.

Hawkins confessed he was the 1% guy in his last chapter so far, of course we found out.

And yes, I know the difference between "shatter" and "cut", hence why I wrote CUT instead of SHATTER since Zoro CUT steel chains in Nelson's arc and also canonballs in a filler clash with Fullbody, both events happening before Arabasta.

What about Trébol? Do you have any wrongly-based take on that mistake from Toei?
According to translators, it was always singular.
The whole narrative is about Zoro's return who literally levitated out of bandages.
Editor's notes are not Oda's notes.
Right, Hawkins did say it was himself, forgot about that...

Who dafuk is Nelson? Dont tell me you brought a non-canon character?
I dont know what the issue with trebol is and I base nothing on anime - my only source is manga and manga itself.
And according to raws in manga, it was always a singular - star. It was VIZ who made a mistake.

Well this anime is good animation but pacing is very bad. Yes we get zoro lol like ryuma for hundreds times, no need to shove in our face .
About star , it weird to say this star when both zoro and sanji attack king and queen at same time , but pg13 explain to make sense of it.

Then anime and manga are different like king punch zoro in manga while in anime king kick zoro. Not sure, why toei change it

Then toei must try to animate one chapter per episode which why pacing is slow .

According to translators, it was always singular.
What translators, may I ask? Interesting how they first translated it in plural yet now are defending that it was always singular.

Who dafuk is Nelson? Dont tell me you brought a non-canon character?
...Obviously? I'm talking about Toei making mistakes and how the filler context created by the anime makes it look like "star" as singular is the correct translation. What in manga was all a plural depiction with parallelistic panels of Zoro and Sanji striking King and Quen as Luffy's Wings taking the stage from the All-stars, the anime focus solely on Zoro's comeback and even has him jumping over Marco to face King and Queen alone right after the "star" line.

The "here comes the star" line in singular makes sense in Toei's version, but Toei is well known for screwing things up with his fillers, hence why I brought filler examples of some of their mistakes. Get now why I brought a non-canon character?

And according to raws in manga, it was always a singular - star. It was VIZ who made a mistake.
Is there any translator who didn't understood the context of that manga scene as plural? Japanese doesn't have a strict differentiation of singular and plural and is mostly about context; and every translation I've checked, in various languages from official to fan, use plural so far. All of those translators "made a mistake"? Did previous translators make the same mistake too when they translated "hanagata" as "stars" in plural in texts unrelated to One Piece?

"Hanagata" can be plural too, my friend. Back when chapter 1022 was released I even shared examples of such usage in works before One Piece; Japanese isn't as simplistic as you seem to think.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
What translators, may I ask? Interesting how they first translated it in plural yet now are defending that it was always singular.
@Aknolagon He never translated it as plural.

Well, it seems like this singular star wasnt a mistake.
Zoro was never called a wing tho... I dont really care what anime does, manga itself is the only material I care about.

Is there any translator who didn't understood the context of that manga scene as plural? Japanese doesn't have a strict differentiation of singular and plural and is mostly about context; and every translation I've checked, in various languages from official to fan, use plural so far. All of those translators "made a mistake"? Did previous translators made the same mistake too when they translated "hanagata" as "stars" in plural in texts unrelated to One Piece?
Sanji was already on the stage and dealing with Queen... Zoro is the one who took the stage because he was Cross Zori.

@Aknolagon He never translated it as plural.
Perfect, now we have the rest of the world versus Aknolagon; including translators who have nothing to do with One Piece yet translated the concept as plural since it isn't singular nor plural by itself.

Zoro was never called a wing tho... I dont really care what anime does, manga itself is the only material I care about.
SBS 73, since you ignored the editor's note.

Sanji was already on the stage and dealing with Queen... Zoro is the one who took the stage because he was Cross Zori.
He wasn't, from the moment Marco says his "hanagata" line it's all about Zoro and Sanji striking the All-Stars in a parallelistic way. The context is about the two young stars taking on the current stars to "dethrone" them. For "hanagata" to make narrative sense it needs to oppose the two lead performers that are already established on the stage; and that's what happens when Zoro and Sanji, together, strike King and Queen.

Keep in mind that this is all about new performers taking on old performers. That's the wole narrative here, it starts with King and Queen.