Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
I completely agree with most of that. the only bit I'm a bit on the fence about is Stussy being more likely. With the info we have now, sure, Stussy has a better shot but I personally think Oda is likely to have Bonney's dream be something along the lines of "Take down the Celestial Dragons", whatever Kuma's end goal was, or both as a result of whatever she witnesses in Kuma's flashback. Granted, idk what kind of role she'd fill within the crew if that were the case but depending on what happens in the next few chapters (or whenever we actually get to see the flashback) I could see Bonney having a slight edge over Stussy. In conclusion, at the moment I think Stussy has an edge over Bonney but not by a large margin.

Edit: this is also taking into consideration the character interactions between each of the mentioned candidates and the current strawhat crew, as Bonney seemed to get along better with them IMO. maybe it was just me but that's how i saw it
The problem with that dream is how much it relates to another character who’s been brought up more than a few times this arc: Dragon.

I think Bonney is falling into that same trap Yamato fell into as despite starting out as a possible nakama, she’s slowly being relegated to her story being more connected to a different team. Especially if she inherits her fathers dream.

Whereas Stussy still has a chance to inherit Vegapunks which can only be completed through going to raftel.

This main difference is why many, myself included, believe Stussys a much safer choice. Add in that Bonney still has a home to return to but Stussy doesn’t she’s a safe bet.

Again, the Yamato case wasn't even a theory, it was because of a narrative tool used by Oda.
Yes - a narrative tool to hype the reader for the next arc, where he lets the last crewm member join, as he stated in 2014. (Back to back with Jinbe.)

Just look how much panel-time Lucci gets. Oda also lets him fight alongside Luffy: Something that was unimaginable a few weeks prior. And with Shaka's mask soon to be taken off, because he needs at least to be medically examined - maybe by Chopper - we will see exactly why Lucci has that connection to Vegapunk and plays that vital role during Egghead.

The problem with that dream is how much it relates to another character who’s been brought up more than a few times this arc: Dragon.

I think Bonney is falling into that same trap Yamato fell into as despite starting out as a possible nakama, she’s slowly being relegated to her story being more connected to a different team. Especially if she inherits her fathers dream.

Whereas Stussy still has a chance to inherit Vegapunks which can only be completed through going to raftel.

This main difference is why many, myself included, believe Stussys a much safer choice. Add in that Bonney still has a home to return to but Stussy doesn’t she’s a safe bet.
Good point. tbh i didn't really think that deeply about it but that makes a lot more sense.

:risicheck:
Going back and thinking more about the character interactions, at least from the comedy relief portions of it, Bonney was basically a slightly smarter Luffy clone in terms of how she acted in those portions. (assuming my memory isn't dog crap and my brain didn't mis-remember something important) Stussy is more unique in that sense and I can't see Oda adding another SH member who's personality during comedy relief sections is basically "gluttonous simpleton"... so yeah... with the info we have at the moment, you right

Good point. tbh i didn't really think that deeply about it but that makes a lot more sense.

:risicheck:
Going back and thinking more about the character interactions, at least from the comedy relief portions of it, Bonney was basically a slightly smarter Luffy clone in terms of how she acted in those portions. (assuming my memory isn't dog crap and my brain didn't mis-remember something important) Stussy is more unique in that sense and I can't see Oda adding another SH member who's personality during comedy relief sections is basically "gluttonous simpleton"... so yeah... with the info we have at the moment, you right
I think Bonney fit really well with the strawhats though. Compared to Stussy, her interactions with them were a lot more interesting. Stussy has the advantage of having a role as a scientist, and a strong possibility of a dream with the eternal energy source, and she's currently actually doing stuff with the strawhats which is good after Yamato. On the other hand, Stussy has a much better relationship with the crew so far and more importance to the current plot.

The thing is though, I don’t think it’s as simple as just Bonney inheriting Kuma’s dream. Mainly cause of Vegapunk's dialogue here

The part about this that gets me is the line where Vegapunk says "I made a promsie to Kuma that I would never tell you the reason why." To me, the fact that Kuma specified that Vegapunk wouldn't tell Bonney about why he decided to kill himself signifies that he had some kind of secret. Clearly the two of them were very close, but Bonney specifically could not know the truth. I don't think it's as simple as Kuma had some painful past that he didn't want her to know about just because he thought it would be too much for her. I think Kuma didn't want her to know some piece of information because he believed that it would actively harm her if she knew about it.

Given that we already have several clones running around Egghead, I think "Bonney" might not actually be Kuma's real daughter, but rather a clone of her.

Last edited:
The thing is though, I don’t think it’s as simple as just Bonney inheriting Kuma’s dream. Mainly cause of Vegapunk's dialogue here

The part about this that gets me is the line where Vegapunk says "I made a promsie to Kuma that I would never tell you the reason why." To me, the fact that Kuma specified that Vegapunk wouldn't tell Bonney about why he decided to kill himself. Clearly the two of them were very close, but Bonney specifically could not know the truth. I don't think it's as simple as Kuma had some painful past that he didn't want her to know about just because he thought it would be too much for her. I think Kuma didn't want her to know some piece of information because he believed that it would actively harm her if she knew about it.

Given that we already have several clones running around Egghead, I think "Bonney" might not actually be Kuma's real daughter, but rather a clone of her.
That is a very beautiful idea. I like it.

The part about this that gets me is the line where Vegapunk says "I made a promsie to Kuma that I would never tell you the reason why." To me, the fact that Kuma specified that Vegapunk wouldn't tell Bonney about why he decided to kill himself. Clearly the two of them were very close, but Bonney specifically could not know the truth. I don't think it's as simple as Kuma had some painful past that he didn't want her to know about just because he thought it would be too much for her. I think Kuma didn't want her to know some piece of information because he believed that it would actively harm her if she knew about it.

That would be really interesting. I hope you're right:kata:

I think kuma didn’t want his daughter to know that he was a slave. It’s quite likely he wanted to shield her from how sick the world can truly be. I doubt Bonneys kumas biological daughter. And it’s a natural thing to want to protect your daughter from what’s happening and even moreso, kuma likely never wanted Bonney to join the revs and if she knew the truth he knows she would.

But now Bonney knows everything.

I think kuma didn’t want his daughter to know that he was a slave. It’s quite likely he wanted to shield her from how sick the world can truly be. I doubt Bonneys kumas biological daughter. And it’s a natural thing to want to protect your daughter from what’s happening and even moreso, kuma likely never wanted Bonney to join the revs and if she knew the truth he knows she would.

But now Bonney knows everything.
I mean Bonney was an active pirate when Kuma died, so she wasn't exactly a sheltered kid at the time. I feel like there's gotta be some secret that he wanted to hide from her

Yamato already joined, same with Momo and Kinemon.

People here can say whatever they want, the only thing that matters in terms of being a Straw Hat is whether or not Luffy gives you the go ahead. Jinbei said it himself to Yamato: "We'll need to get confirmation from the captain before I'm convinced."

Post Wano, these are the characters not sailing on the Sunny, who Luffy clearly wanted to sail with the crew as Nakama:

Vivi (Karoo as an add on)
Momo
Kinemon
Yamato

Tama is also on that list, but, she promised Luffy she's learn Ninjutsu, and he said once she does, she can join, so, Tama has a clear condition, but is kind of murky.

The only character that actually pisses me off here is Carrot. Oda should have just made her official after Whole Cake, it would have made sense with Pedro's sacrifice. Carrot didn't get enough screen time in Wano, so her joining at the end would have been weak, so Oda just... pushed it back.

I don't care about the fanbase's opinions anymore, Vivi, Momo, Kinemon, and Yamato are Straw Hats based off of Luffy's words and actions. Tama might get stronger, or might be held back still, but what the fuck was Oda doing with Carrot?

I don't care if Zunesha ties into opening Wano's Borders and Oda wanted her there for that, just a horrible mismanaging of her character. I hated why Yamato stayed behind, but at least it made sense.

Fucking Queen of Zou bullshit.

Why the fuck do I ever come back to post in this thread?
I'm impressed that a Carrot fan like you would give that kind of conclusion, that's the kind of Mink fan I like who is analytical and giving points for or against his character.

That he accepts that both Vivi, Yamato, Momo and Kinemon are honorary Mugiwaras by the simple invitation of the Captain (possible official unions if they want to join on their part) and the possible future union of Tama.

Unfortunately there are some Mink fans who think that their character's story is the main theme and we are currently in another arc and with some characters that are interesting.

CoC: Color of Clowns

Rob Lucci for Nakama. Vivi x Lucci Forever
I'm impressed that a Carrot fan like you would give that kind of conclusion, that's the kind of Mink fan I like who is analytical and giving points for or against his character.

That he accepts that both Vivi, Yamato, Momo and Kinemon are honorary Mugiwaras by the simple invitation of the Captain (possible official unions if they want to join on their part) and the possible future union of Tama.

Unfortunately there are some Mink fans who think that their character's story is the main theme and we are currently in another arc and with some characters that are interesting.
Honestly, I was a Carrot fan first, then more of Yamato fan after her fight with Kaido and Samurai backstory, and now I like the two characters about equally.

Hell, if I was in charge of this story, Gaimon, Wyper, all sorts of characters would be on the crew.

I like the idea of Stussy joining a lot, too, but, Oda's pretty consistent about Straw Hats having a connection to Luffy's dream. So, I try to only suggest candidates that directly tie into Luffy's goals/dream.

Carrot having a mentor who wanted to bring about the Dawn and knew Roger (Pedro) in theory makes her a great candidate, but Oda handled her so weirdly in Wano.

Hope Yamato rejoins sooner rather than later. We'll see when Oda deals with Pluton.

I like the idea of Stussy joining a lot, too, but, Oda's pretty consistent about Straw Hats having a connection to Luffy's dream. So, I try to only suggest candidates that directly tie into Luffy's goals/dream.
Yeah I agree with this, which is why I hope Stussy inherits Vegapunks dream of discovering and replicating the power source of the ancient kingdom. That would fit so well

Yeah I agree with this, which is why I hope Stussy inherits Vegapunks dream of discovering and replicating the power source of the ancient kingdom. That would fit so well
Imo this is almost certainly the case. Someone in the story is going to find the eternal energy source or else Oda wouldn't have put it in there and even named a chapter after it. It's either Vegapunk, Stussy, or Neo MADS Imo, and of the 3, Stussy seems by far the most likely to have relevance going into the end of the series, whether she joins the crew or not.

I wish people here were always more open about other peoples choices for nakama, because as far as i'm concerned characters like Carrot, Yamato, Vivi we're always strong contenders to join.

Carrot:
Strenghts- Had a role, crew interactions and strong connections, sailed with SHs for a long ass time
Weakness- Weird focus, inconclusive ending

Yamato:
Strenghts- Heavely based her character on joining the SH, constantly reminded the reader of that point
Weakness- No role, too strong (imo)

Vivi:
Strenghts- The most focus out of all 3, constantly re-aparering, strong connections to the SH, "promisse to rejoing?"
Weakness- No role, stayed behind half a world away, extremlly weak

This nakama wars thing was always retarded because if we want to be nitpicky all of these 3 needed to combine to make a fully flegde SH.

And i still think they all have these anyoning story threads that STILL point them to being potential candidates ( wish Oda would just kill it once and for all)

- Yamato got a "promissed" future joining (which if she's not joining why is that there?)
- Carrot didn't get an ending
- Vivi got reintroduced and is on the run

At this point i'd rather Oda just picked someone so i can stop following this weekly:few:

I wish people here were always more open about other peoples choices for nakama, because as far as i'm concerned characters like Carrot, Yamato, Vivi we're always strong contenders to join.

Carrot:
Strenghts- Had a role, crew interactions and strong connections, sailed with SHs for a long ass time
Weakness- Weird focus, inconclusive ending

Yamato:
Strenghts- Heavely based her character on joining the SH, constantly reminded the reader of that point
Weakness- No role, too strong (imo)

Vivi:
Strenghts- The most focus out of all 3, constantly re-aparering, strong connections to the SH, "promisse to rejoing?"
Weakness- No role, stayed behind half a world away, extremlly weak

This nakama wars thing was always retarded because if we want to be nitpicky all of these 3 needed to combine to make a fully flegde SH.

And i still think they all have these anyoning story threads that STILL point them to being potential candidates ( wish Oda would just kill it once and for all)

- Yamato got a "promissed" future joining (which if she's not joining why is that there?)
- Carrot didn't get an ending
- Vivi got reintroduced and is on the run

At this point i'd rather Oda just picked someone so i can stop following this weekly:few:
I differ with you on several points regarding Carrot and Yamato.

Carrot
Strengths: The strong point is the role; as many have mentioned Pedro's inherited dream is not 100% defined.
Points against: No invitation from Luffy or request to join the crew; ending even that can be explained in the animated episodes.

Yamato
Strong points: Dream 100% established; Request to join the crew and invitation at the end of Wano if you wanted to be a pirate (it was also addressed to Momo and Kinemon); Points against: No role (in which I agree).

In Vivi if I agree in your points you explained.

Oh yeah i forgot about the dream part.

Yeah Pedros dream is undefined its def not ruling zou tho. And yamatos dream is interesting being Oden is a dual dream.

One part was being a good ruler to Wano the other was sailing around the world. It always made sense for Momo to do the first part and Yamato do the second.

I dont really agree with this idea was trolling witg Yamato, it just sounds like Oda is retarded. Oda making these obvious setups amd not doing anything is just dumb