Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just doesn't feel right for a character like Kanjuro to get off-screened. Instead we skipped over the fight, and I think we got his last words on the first page, unless I'm reading that wrong. Maybe there's going to be a flashback later, but I just think that's dumb. Like majority of this chapter could have just been that fight, his "death", and his final words to the rest of the scabbards, and it would have been fine.

"Find Momo, Shinobu" Hmm? Have you checked the stage in front of you that he's clearly cruxified on? Like he's literally right there, this isn't a matter of finding they need to be saving him.

I don't really care about the Momo stuff. I will fully admit that there is an attempt at character growth, but the character started at such a low point for me, so this doesn't really illicit much of a response. The Luffy/Yamato scenes are there.

I also don't have a problem with the scabbards jumping Kaido (even though I think the paneling is garbage). At least three of them are Yonko commander level, so it makes sense that they are able to block the calamities for a second. Also "Snatch" is back, after having not been referenced in 50 chapters. Still wondering why this is even a thing but whatever.

And that's honestly kinda it for this chapter. A lot of characters are shown like Law, Zoro and Who's Who, but they aren't really doing anything. I'd probably give this like a 3/5. Not the worst chapter, but one I'll probably forget really soon.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
It's not really surprising even Sanji saved his dad. Children care for their parents, this manga is littered with it.
I'm even more surprised that she didn't think he was serious with these cuffs.

If my child started to dress like my greatest enemy and chat the same shit as him I would be pissed.

Wow. I guess it more difficult for the scabbards to kill of their friend than I thought.

Fukurokuju is another fucc boi in the same category as bitch ass lames such as Apoo & Hawkins.

Nami & Carrot still captured. Shinobu is actually about to be useful.

I still don't know exactly what Kaido wants out of Momo. I mean I have some ideas sure but it's not exactly clear. But SOUNDS like Kaidou wants to hear Momo state his name as just "Momonosuke" and not some fancy title. Harkening back to the idea of Momo finding his own identity.

Speaking of which it looks like Yamato is starting to abandon the idea of pretending to be Oden since she rejects being referred to as a guy in this chapter. Guess that explosion was the last straw. Good for her. I might be able to fully embrace the idea of her being on the crew now.

Luffy taking off the cuffs was cool to see. Looks like he's finally got the hang of advanced Haki. Even though he's still sorta a noob at it. One thing thats interesting to note about the explosion, it seems that in One Piece the size of an explosion isn't always indicative of power. Luffy pretimeskip survived something far larger and Yamato is someone nearly as tough as his current self yet that explosion would have still killed her. It seems in this world of superhumans they've created bombs that can kill even these extremely durable characters.

Even more interesting is the fodder. A lot of people don't think about this but Kaidou's fodder are extremely powerful. Theres a clear difference between Kaido's fodder and fodder from say Fishman island. These foot soldiers are on another level entirely. I mean just the fact that post timeskip Zoro can't clear through them easily shows how monstrous the Beast Pirates really are. Again, this is post timeskip Zoro with 2 years of training with the Strongest Swordsman. Can you imagine if the preskip Strawhats never trained and just entered the New World as they were? They would have been slaughtered by a single Gifter. It just puts into perspective the scale of the New World and the Emperors. No wonder people get their spirits crushed. If Zoro and Kidd are struggling I can only imagine how lesser Pirates must've felt. Dreaming of taking on a Yonkou only to get slaughtered by no name fodder. A Yonkou's soldiers are just on a different level entirely. If just a single one of these guys landed in East Blue nothing would be able to stop him. He'd probably be seen as a God. And thats just fodder let alone the Flying Six, The Calamities, or the Yonkou himself. The power gap is ridiculous.

Looks like the War is finally getting started. Kaido and his crew really didn't see it coming. NOW the fights can actually start.

Powerscaling aside, I'm disappointed in the Beast Pirates' incompetency. Izo and Nekomamushi should not be able to disarm King and Kaido. That's just absurd.
Hows that absurd?

F** pre time skip sanji disarmed Aokiji, and theres lots of examples of way weakers One blocking, pushing, wayyyy stronger than them.

Neko can hold Jack by himself , and he took kaido by SURPRISE too, How he can not disarm him? Isso is a comander as king and take hislm by surprise as well.

You treating the scabards like fodders. WTF

Amazing chapter

Holy that that last panel of Scabbards attacking Kaido, i am sorry to say tho they are getting clapped next chapter. Which is most likely he reason why the Editor cried lol.

Hows that absurd?

F** pre time skip sanji disarmed Aokiji, and theres lots of examples of way weakers One blocking, pushing, wayyyy stronger than them.

Neko can hold Jack by himself , and he took kaido by SURPRISE too, How he can not disarm him? Isso is a comander as king and take hislm by surprise as well.

You treating the scabards like fodders. WTF
They seem to forget dressrosa Zoro and Luffy could push an Admiral back. The top scarbards are easily that level and above.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
It was a great chapter overall but is everyone just ignoring Pound getting mad disrespected like that? After everything he's done and gone through I don't like how he's being treated.

Fuck Lola and Chiffen. BM can eat them when they cross paths once again.

Respect the will of P.
Haven’t read the chapter just yet, but I definitely raged over this in the spoiler thread...you meet your father for the first time AFTER HE SURVIVED AN ATTEMPTED BEHEADING BY YOUR HALF BROTHER and you just totally fuckin’ ice him?? Where the hell is Oda going with this shit??

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Haven’t read the chapter just yet, but I definitely raged over this in the spoiler thread...you meet your father for the first time AFTER HE SURVIVED AN ATTEMPTED BEHEADING BY YOUR HALF BROTHER and you just totally fuckin’ ice him?? Where the hell is Oda going with this shit??
Bro if they don't apolosise a thousand times while doing a sliding bow, then I don't want them to exsist.

Fuck them honestly. Pound genuinely deserves better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.