General & Others Why have we not seen a single character who aspires to be WSS?

Combat related ambitions are often given lack of focus, such as not a single soul wanting to go after WB's title directly.
But it is by default because of scope of such titles.

Like you don't need to be gunning for WB to be WSM, you need to be strongest to be WSM. So if you are a fighter and you are getting stronger, and trying to be as strong as you possibly can be, innate goal has to be strongest in the world.

If you are practicing swordsmanship as a kid like Shanks has, innate goal has to be Strongest swordsman in the world.

A title like Pirate King requires specific efforts, you can't just become Pirate King by chance. Even if you are strong enough to be pirate king, talented enough to be pirate king, have leadership skills of Pirate King, you won't be pirate king until you get the poneglyphs and go to Raftel.

Yonkou is same kinda title as Pirate King yet no one wants it.
So @Rosella.Fiamingo we should really be asking why no one wants to become an emperor?

WB used it like a spear against Kuzan. Not like it would have changed the fact that it's a pole weapon regardless.
He used a thrusting attack. You’d use the exact same method with a sword.

-He wields a blade that can be classified as a long sword.
-his main rivals themselves are swordsman.
- His DF also would seemly be more Beneficial used as a sword, then an actual pole weapon. Ex would be anytime he used his df

Seems like a pretty solid indication WB himself. Could be a proficient swordsman himself.

He used a thrusting attack. You’d use the exact same method with a sword.

-He wields a blade that can be classified as a long sword.
-his main rivals themselves are swordsman.
- His DF also would seemly be more Beneficial used as a sword, then an actual pole weapon. Ex would be anytime he used his df

Seems like a pretty solid indication WB himself. Could be a proficient swordsman himself.
For me its the fact that WB seems hybrid of brawler and bisento user but in the most dire situation like towards the end of MF he stuck to brawling by punching Akainu and the air as hard as he could.

He isn't even introduced as a swordsman like someone like Fuji is.

With Roger and Shanks, they are straight up pure swordsmen.

For me its the fact that WB seems hybrid of brawler and bisento user but in the most dire situation like towards the end of MF he stuck to brawling by punching Akainu and the air as hard as he could.

He isn't even introduced as a swordsman like someone like Fuji is.

With Roger and Shanks, they are straight up pure swordsmen.
This is why I don’t see him as one either. It’s clear as day he’s at his best with just his fist.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
This is why I don’t see him as one either. It’s clear as day he’s at his best with just his fist.
Old sick dying beard resorted to just gura punches cause he couldnt use haki properly
he has a saijo his mastery used to be top notch as we saw vs roger as was his haki mastery
i guarantee you in his prime he wouldnt resort to brawling

The topic of this thread is interesting.

All Blue discovery would change the world (For example: destroying red line)
World Map would change interaction, traveling and people's perception about this world (East Blue people are clueless about crazy islands and even sky islands)
Being brave warrior would mean nothing to anyone but at least it's not a title with no meaning blown out of proportion. And at least in order for Usopp to achieve his dream he needs to change his character and not just get stronger.

WSS title would change nothing:
Defeat Mihawk- no ones cares
Don't defeat Mihawk - no ones cares
I think no one alive but Zoro cares to be WSS because Oda wanted to show us that your dream does not necessarily have to be world-changing for you to change your life. It could be something personal like Zoro's, not world-shattering like Luffy's or Robin's, but if you devote yourself to it and do not let the highs & lows of your journey to waylay you and instead use them to change yourself to be better & stronger, you will eventually fulfill your dream and then you can stand on equal ground even with people whose aspirations set the world on fire.

Besides, having a personal dream should be relatable for most of us. I mean, how many among us want to change the world? I think our dreams are mostly personal instead of world-changing and having someone who represents a more personal goal in the SH crew speaks to the fact that the story of One Piece belongs to all of us, be it those who want to redefine our world or those who wish to settle for more personal dreams.

Just my two cents. :myman:

Because Oda has the naïveté to thought that his readers would be intelligent enough to understand that every swordsman is aiming to be the WSS because every swordsman is aiming to be the best in their field. Like every martial artist is aiming to be the best in their respective martial art.
It is the very essence of martial art.

Furthermore, he made one of the main character aimes for that said title, therefore he might have thought that it would be enough to make the readers understand how important the title is.
How foolish of him:josad:

The sad part is that it is not the 13 years old audience (the aimed audience for One Piece) that is confused, no it is the grown ass men that are. All of that because Mihawk’s title put him above their fav’:sighting:

What I would have really liked is Zoro getting his own pupil. A huge Zoro fanboy who would beg him to teach him the way of the sword because he’d be convinced Zoro is the next WSS and his dream would be to walk in his footsteps and defeat Zoro one day or another to become the next WSS after Zoro.

Last edited:
LOL, honestly that bothers me, the only swordsmen who looked somewhat interested in that title were:
- Vista (in marineford he kinda hinted it)

- Maybe Shanks when he used to duel with Mihawk

And BOTH are good people on the good side as of now, making it hard to believe that Zoro will clash with any of them as a stepping stone before Mihawk

In fact, would have been more interesting if AT LEAST he has one rival for the title, but no one?

The narrator is describing the world as they know it. I do believe that Mihawk is the best/strongest swordsman in OP. What I'm saying is that it would certainly be in the WG's benefit to hype and popularize that title and make a big deal out of it. Perhaps the fans have made the same assumptions when they overanalyze the title.
No they describe Kaido as that. The narrator specific call says for Kaido "He's said to be the WSC". The narrator has never done that for Mihawk.

A
Post automatically merged:

how Luffy became the 5th Yonko ?
@Chrono
Liffy became fifth emperor because he did EMPEROR LIKE THINGS. He invaded another emperor territory. He gathered thousands of men and multiple islands under his name. And he has ridiculously powerful allies like Sabo and the revolutionaries.

So according to you, Mihawk must has done WSS type things too?

Examples?

LOL, honestly that bothers me, the only swordsmen who looked somewhat interested in that title were:
- Vista (in marineford he kinda hinted it)

- Maybe Shanks when he used to duel with Mihawk

And BOTH are good people on the good side as of now, making it hard to believe that Zoro will clash with any of them as a stepping stone before Mihawk

In fact, would have been more interesting if AT LEAST he has one rival for the title, but no one?
Every swordsman Zoro fights is a stepping stone to mihawk.

Like if Zoro fights King, then shiryu then Fujitora and then Mihawk. Are you gonna say because all these guys don't want to be WSS they aren't worthy contenders for stepping stones? Like even if they have other reasons for fighting Zoro

Every swordsman Zoro fights is a stepping stone to mihawk.

Like if Zoro fights King, then shiryu then Fujitora and then Mihawk. Are you gonna say because all these guys don't want to be WSS they aren't worthy contenders for stepping stones? Like even if they have other reasons for fighting Zoro
But there is more dramatic value when one of those enemies have the same dream as Zoro instead of being just stepping stone

But there is more dramatic value when one of those enemies have the same dream as Zoro instead of being just stepping stone
So there's not been any dramatic value to any of Zoro's fights for the last 1000 chapters then?

Okay does that apply to Luffy too? Is there no dramatic value to Luffy vs Lucci , cause Lucci didn't give a shit about One piece? Or would Lucci vs luffy have been BETTER if Lucci wanted One piece too for some reason

So there's not been any dramatic value to any of Zoro's fights for the last 1000 chapters then?

Okay does that apply to Luffy too? Is there no dramatic value to Luffy vs Lucci , cause Lucci didn't give a shit about One piece? Or would Lucci vs luffy have been BETTER if Lucci wanted One piece too for some reason
My goodness
When I said "there will be more dramatic value" it doesn't mean Zoro fights had no dramatic value
I simply mean that it can ADD even more dramatic value on top of what it has
Making it even more special than what it is already!
Hope you got the point!

Thing is though, WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO BE WSS.

You realise that there's no reward for being WSS right? Fujitora as the character he is now, gains NOTHING from trying to become WSS. Like he joined the marines to get political power to abolish the warlords and fight crime. Law's motivation ranges from revenge to the will of d to anarchy to the one piece.

Explain to me exactly how gain the title of WSS helps any of these guys?

There is no political power or monetary gain here. Remember that the marines DID NOT even offer Mihawk the warlord position. He WENT TO THEM for it. They offered buggy and ace warlord positions but they saw Mihawk as the WSS and even then they didn't even bother.

The title exists entirely as basis for ones own sense of accomplishment. That's all you get from it. A sense of accomplishment. I mean you can get famous from it but in one piece, fame doesn't matter outside of politics. Mihawk is famous as the strongest but then his politics are lacking so no one really cares. When Mihawk arrives at matineford everyone is surprised. When Mihawk leaves again everyone is surprised. No one sees the title of WSS as some kind if political statement so no one has to actually care. It's surprise when Mihawk helps just as much as when he doesn't.

Like can you like explicitly think of one thing that Law or Fujitora specifically NEED from a title that has no political power at all

@RayanOO

Well what does everyone doing that matter to my point. The OP was saying "Zoro has no progression in his dream". I showed that he does. End of story.

That's my point
Zoro's dream isn't actually something easy to comprehend, I think!

Sure, on the surface, it's just a title about strength, what does he gain from that???? That's your point!

But eventually, even political goals ypu mentioned ALSO fall into same category, cause even after you gain political power, it's still a status and power, but what's Beyond that point??? After you achieve that position? What's next? Cause this is human nature, after you achieve certain goal, you look for something after it! Otherwise, you will feel a void!

I think this is correlates to Ace perfectly! Ace first dream is to make a name for himself far bigger than Roger, then he wanted to make WB king of pirates, and eventually, he found the true goal, which is self-satisfaction, by realizing that deserved to live!

I think that dreams that's about becoming strongest usually have some deeper hidden dream inside it, in other words, I think Zoro's true purpose and dream of living is YET to be revealed, it will be something BEYOND becoming WSS!

The best series that can explain that psychology is Hajime no Ippo, love that show!
When Ippo always questions "what does it mean to be strong?"
As he joined boxing because he wanted to find that answer!

And the coach even stated that what Ippo is looking for isn't something he can sense or grab or comprehended easily!

Also, let's remember BB line "a man's dream never end" for me that line felt like that there is ENDLESS dreams for a man, once he achieves something, he goes for the next, I don't interpret it as what others do!

This can also be seen with Roger, once he found laugh tale, he said he wished he lived in joyboy era and he also knows he's out of time for the upcoming events

And Luffy's role will not end once he reaches laugh tale either!

There is always a bigger hidden goal later!

Last edited: