Questions & Mysteries What makes Shanks > Mihawk?

We currently don't have enough info to say, at least imo. I like Shanks a lot more and maybe that's the reason I might get a little biased but I think he edges out Mihawk. Again, the reasoning isn't concrete and it's just that Shanks' aura feels different. Like when Mihawk was in Marineford, people were giving respect to him and all but when Shanks entered, the reactions were just different and felt more powerful.

I personally don't agree with the one hand handicap argument though. I mean Zoro lost an eye and it has never been treated as a handicap. I would've agreed if it was his dominant hand but I don't think it's even that. Then again, Mihawk can always be proven as the stronger of the two currently if Oda feels like. We'll definitely get a confirmed answer at one point in the story. Till then, just let someone enjoy his headcanon, lol.

Shanks will be = Roger.

There is a reason why Shanks didn't even replace his missing arm with a weapon or a cybernetic arm.

He either has a DF power, or a God Level Haki like Roger's, which means even a missing arm is not a problem for him, while it's a problem for even people like Queen and Nekomamushi, so they replaced their missing arms with weapons. But Shanks didn't.

The guy's Haki (or his DF power) is so powerful that he doesn't even need that.

yj

👑YNWA 👑
Shanks will be = Roger.

There is a reason why Shanks didn't even replace his missing arm with a weapon or a cybernetic arm.

He either has a DF power, or a God Level Haki like Roger's, which means even a missing arm is not a problem for him, while it's a problem for even people like Queen and Nekomamushi, so they replaced their missing arms with weapons. But Shanks didn't.

The guy's Haki (or his DF power) is so powerful that he doesn't even need that.
so where’s his black blade

so where’s his black blade

I don't think forging a black blade is commensurate with actual, physical strength or combat ability. Whitebeard didn't have one, and his blade was the same ranking as Mihawk's. Even Mihawk still wondered how large of a gap there was between him and Whitebeard at Marineford. Big Mom hasn't turned Nepoleon black either. If anything, it might prove that Gryphon isn't Shanks' primary combat style since he may not use it as frequently as Mihawk or Ryuuma would.

Like Zoro may turn Enma black this arc, I dont think that means he surpasses Shanks automatically

Just putting that out there.

Edit: Even Roger, Rayleigh and Scopper.....I feel like its so blindly obvious that Roger, Shanks, BM, Rayleigh, Scopper, Whitebeard, etc aren't primary sword/Bisento/Axe fighters. These people aren't the worlds greatest swordsmen because their combat style does not entirely focus on it. Sure, we haven't seen enough of Roger/Scopper/Rayleigh/Shanks yet to make that determination, but if Whitebeard/Big Mom are any indication, its likely they fight by other means as well

J

Jo_Ndule

WB is the World's Strongest Man=all kinds of mind games to say Emperors are stronger

Mihawk is the World's Strongest Swordsman=all kinds of mind games to say other swordsman(one of them who happens to be an Emperor), are stronger.

Kaido the Yonko is rumored to be the strongest=all kinds of mind games to say he's stronger than than Roger and that his title is 100% real
People that rival WSM : Roger shiki Kaido BM ..
People that rival WSC : WB BM ..

No high tier rivals WSM/WSC

People that rival WSS : Young shanks, Vista

Kaido pre wsc status ,crushed Moriah>Vista
WSS Mihawk can't even dominate Vista while Kaido crushed moriah who was once seen as his rival

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
I don't think forging a black blade is commensurate with actual, physical strength or combat ability. Whitebeard didn't have one, and his blade was the same ranking as Mihawk's. Even Mihawk still wondered how large of a gap there was between him and Whitebeard at Marineford. Big Mom hasn't turned Nepoleon black either. If anything, it might prove that Gryphon isn't Shanks' primary combat style since he may not use it as frequently as Mihawk or Ryuuma would.

Like Zoro may turn Enma black this arc, I dont think that means he surpasses Shanks automatically

Just putting that out there.
Shanks is a swordsman, so if he can't afford turning his personal blade black he most likely lacks CoA on the level as Mihawk or Prime Ryuma.

Unless he can and does not want to, but I would not see why.

You say it properly though, it is not a physical strenght feat. In fact it's rather a CoA one from a logical perspective, it is different but still fundamentally states an important concept I guess.

mihawk>roger whether you like it or not

:kayneshrug:
wow ... what an argument ... lol .... Mihawk hype was not even in same galaxy as WB during MF
Post automatically merged:

Shanks is a swordsman, so if he can't afford turning his personal blade black he most likely lacks CoA on the level as Mihawk or Prime Ryuma.
so as Roger and he is > both of them

We dont have to give away anything to Mihawk, Eiichiro Oda did it himself. Do you think author thinks whether you will give it to Mihawk?
when ever Eiichiro Oda told me Mihawk title means anything more than 1 area of power ... I agree with you

and about rest of your post ....

point is Mihawk lost the most important war to Shanks .... around 14 years ago ... when Shanks was known as a Yonko
cause in no real way ... Mihawk can be a danger to Shanks ... he can't even create a small shadow over him ...
1 Vs 1 .... is just an overkill ...

and btw

Shanks have far more allies and was above to bring more people to his own side than even Luffy
the reason Mihawk called that greatest power in the world is cause he saw it first hand with Shanks
in Marine Ford ... he attacks Luffy JUST to find out why Shanks find Luffy WORTHY and when he saw it he stopped attacking Luffy

it's sad that Mihawk have a galaxy level respect to Shanks ... and his fans don't

yj

👑YNWA 👑
wow ... what an argument ... lol .... Mihawk hype was not even in same galaxy as WB during MF
during mf yes as it was wbs showing. It wasn’t mihawks place to go all out like wb did. mihawks time will come. But you can’t deny he he had similar hype too. But yes mihawk>roger makes sense care to say why its not or you’re just letting the shanks fan in you deny it?

Unless he can and does not want to, but I would not see why.

You say it properly though, it is not a physical strenght feat. In fact it's rather a CoA one from a logical perspective, it is different but still fundamentally states an important concept I guess.
See, but what I bolded in your comment is precisely what people could be entirely getting wrong about black blades. It's not about having monstrous haki alone and turning it black in 2 seconds. Do people honestly believe Mihawk has higher haki levels than Roger/Whitebeard/etc?

It could very well apply to continued usage and haki mastery to a blade, and I'm pretty sure it was explained this way in Wano. Luffy 100% has more Haki than Zoro and more mastery overall, HOWEVER, he has zero skill on applying it to weapons or a blade. Zoro does and and uses the same weapons all the time.

You guys keep assuming Shanks is exclusively just a swordsman, how about we wait a bit longer before we jump to massive conclusions about a few panels of a characters fighting style? Its kind of my point with Roger and Rayleigh too, Luffy trained under Rayleigh, not Zoro. Rayleigh also displayed skills without his sword several times (kicked Kizaru, repelled an elephant with stage 2 armament, used conquerors haki).

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
when ever Eiichiro Oda told me Mihawk title means anything more than 1 area of power ... I agree with you
Eiichiro Oda doesnt have to tell you anything because he was as clear as it gets about who the nr1 swordsman in the world is.
It is you who is creating additional requirements to save Shanks but it is futile...
point is Mihawk lost the most important war to Shanks .... around 14 years ago ... when Shanks was known as a Yonko
cause in no real way ... Mihawk can be a danger to Shanks ... he can't even create a small shadow over him ...
1 Vs 1 .... is just an overkill ...
Mihawk lost a race in which he didnt even participate in? lol... You keep making stuff up... At no point did Mihawk want to create an organization and rule over the lands, he even picked an abandoned island as his home... The guy is bored, he already won the game.
Shanks have far more allies and was above to bring more people to his own side than even Luffy
the reason Mihawk called that greatest power in the world is cause he saw it first hand with Shanks
in Marine Ford ... he attacks Luffy JUST to find out why Shanks find Luffy WORTHY and when he saw it he stopped attacking Luffy

it's sad that Mihawk have a galaxy level respect to Shanks ... and his fans don't
Headcanon after headcanon... Shanks has 0 allies, he didnt bring anyone to Marineford.
Mihawk didnt see anything on Shanks, he saw it on Luffy.
He didnt stop attacking Luffy, Vista kept him busy.
No, Mihawk doesnt have galaxy level of respect lol, stop making stuff up.
You are just making Shanks look worse because you cant admit that he is inferior to Mihawk.

yj

👑YNWA 👑
cause Roger have an galaxy level more hype and feat than Mihawk ...
and the man who was called equal to Roger was called strongest man in the world without a doubt ...

even claiming any living man is above Roger is so wrong is not even worth arguing
he really doesn’t. Rogers power came from the people who helped him to become Pk he’s not necessarily famed for his strength like wb and Mihawk are. roger wasn’t even above wb when he was alive so it’s not even worth claiming he’s top 1. roger and I quote said there will be people who will surpass us. mihawk,dragon all are heck shanks was at one point before he lost his potential. About wb he’s dead. Living people can surpass him . No need to limit mihawk and all these other characters below wb.

I'm not sure why its so difficult to understand that being a full blown swordsman with haki mastery over your blade and being pirate with massive haki who just happens to use a sword as a primary weapon are two different things. Im surprised people can't see the differences between Mihawk and Shanks and why Shanks is 100% more like Roger/Rayleigh. Mihawk is totally up there yes, but I don't remotely think we can compare him to Shanks at this time.

I think its very plainly obvious just from the way Shanks/Roger/Rayleigh handle their weapons: there is an extreme lack of finesse unlike Mihawk/Fujitora/Zoro/Wano Samurai/Shiryu/etc. And their attacks seem to be complete extensions of the literal swing of their arms. None of them seem to carry anything "fancy" in terms of a meito or a supreme/great grade blades (for now until things are named and specified, Gryphon was never ranked). I just feel that this is part if it.

I'm gonna laugh when Xebec (who was shown with a sword) doesnt even have a Black Blade. Mihawk and Ryuuma seem to be the only virtual exceptions in this series because it implies perfect mastery of their weapons. Not even the Monk Gorosei or Fuji or Shiryu have this and I 100% assume they are full swordsmen like Mihawk, unlike Shanks/Roger/Rayleigh. At this point, im not even expecting Zoro to achieve a black blade until his 2nd to last fight with whomever.

Anyway, I dont want to argue about this again, we have to wait until Oda gets to the endgame or more flashbacks to show this. I still think Mihawk and Shanks are the final battles for Zoro and Luffy respectively so tbh there isn't much difference when it comes to the EoS and this anyway. I dont see Mihawk working under Shanks, I see him partnering with him for the Final War. Just waiting for Shanks' character motivations to support this

Last edited: