Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
he would if the most relevant thing to the character is to bring Oden's journeys relevant!
A journey, by the way, that provided some of the biggest clues to date about the most prominent mysteries in the series via his flashback, and also largely shaped Luffy’s travels through the New World...tell me Oden and Yamato are only relevant in this arc with a straight face, and I still won’t believe you.
Post automatically merged:

The foundation of Luffy’s friendship and potential recruitment with Carrot could have been partially founded on him kicking Jack’s ass, because Jack basically got in Carrot’s way, but instead it was Zunesha who ended up kicking Jack’s ass after Momo told Zunesha to do so. I suppose we’ll just have to see what becomes of the Carrot vs. Perospero situation.
They have never had a single conversation, but they’ve forged a friendship?? Do y’all even read the shit you type before posting it??

Last edited:
The foundation of Luffy’s friendship and potential recruitment with Carrot could have been partially founded on him kicking Jack’s ass, because Jack basically got in Carrot’s way, but instead it was Zunesha who ended up kicking Jack’s ass after Momo told Zunesha to do so. I suppose we’ll just have to see what becomes of the Carrot vs. Perospero situation.
you can tell me if im wrong but... I dont think Carrot was even featured in the battle against Jack, and if she was it was just som

A journey, by the way, that provided some of the biggest clues to date about the most prominent mysteries in the series via his flashback, and also largely shaped Luffy’s travels through the New World...tell me Oden and Yamato are only relevant in this arc with a straight face, and I still won’t believe you.

They have never had a single conversation, but they’ve forged a friendship?? Do y’all even read the shit you type before posting it??
but if theres nothing else to yamatos character, which we cant really say we have seen so far, then yamato will remain the support character of the second half of wano. the only thing I can see going for Yamato is to support Momo with the dawn stuff, since that is something Oden didnt have the chance to do.

Not saying that Luffy hasn’t had any friendship at all with Carrot, but if Luffy had been the one to defeat Jack, then would the friendship have played out in the same way?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
you can tell me if im wrong but... I dont think Carrot was even featured in the battle against Jack, and if she was it was just som

but if theres nothing else to yamatos character, which we cant really say we have seen so far, then yamato will remain the support character of the second half of wano. the only thing I can see going for Yamato is to support Momo with the dawn stuff, since that is something Oden didnt have the chance to do.
Sure, let’s pretend like Kaido’s daughter has no other prominent qualities or abilities. You’re also ignoring everything she said in the last two chapters, both in her flashback (something we usually only get for new crew mates or other important characters) and the present story - she wants to travel with Luffy and see the world reach its dawn in person, not stay on Wano and protect Momo. She has literally stated this on several occasions in the last dozen chapters, and y’all still wanna act like her main desire is to become another Scabbard or something.

Not saying that Luffy hasn’t had any friendship at all with Carrot, but if Luffy had been the one to defeat Jack, then would the friendship have played out in the same way?
I think you’re misunderstanding me; I AM saying they don’t have any sort of friendship, seeing as they’ve never really spoken at length (or really at all) and have barely interacted despite traveling together from Zou to WCI and Wano. If Luffy had defeated Jack, I’m not sure what bearing that would have had on Carrot wanting to join the crew, which we still don’t know she actually wants to do. Yamato had explicitly asked to become a Straw Hat Pirate, but Carrot’s whole thing has always been leaving Zou and seeing the world by any means, which she can accomplish on her own or with some other force that’s allied with Luffy.

Last edited:
Yama the sheep guy knows about it, it doesn’t make her stand out. Actually including her in the conversation would have made her stand out.
My point is that she wasn't needed there since she already knows the info they were learning. Sure she could've been there but it hardly makes a difference. Kanjuro being one of the many people in the tree at the time make absolutely zero difference to how people viewed his character. Carrot's significance came in her being the first mink introduced after the straw hats arrive on the back of Zou and then being the surprise addition to WCI.
She also expressed interest with the dead walking and talking back on Thriller Bark in the same scene, that doesn’t mean she’s going to hunt down Moria so he can show his fruit off.

It’s comparing apples and oranges. The scene on Zou was the climax of the arc and one of the most important exposition drops in the series. The bath scene was a relatively minor one in WCI. It did not give us any gamechanging information, neither Luffy or Usopp (who will be the main figure in Elbaf) were involved, and Carrot herself has a completely negligible role in the conversation.
The difference is that Elbaf is very likely our next destination. I'm not saying it's this incredibly important moment. I'm saying it's simple set up for Elbaf and Oda included Carrot in the conversation expressing an interest. That's just something we should note.

The whale tree scene was important because of the ponegliff info. Again, Carrot did not need to be there since she already knew all about that. Her not being there means as much as Kanjuro being there. Little.
A scene where all the majority of the interesting information was omitted from the reader, and where again, Carrot played no role whatsoever. I said I wanted Carrot to have been included in the discussion, maybe I should have specified that means participation. Not floating around in the background occasionally inserting some inane comment about how wonderful adventures are, actually driving the conversation and making us think “yes, Oda is setting this character up to be a Strawhat.” Take Carrot out of the two scenes you’ve mentioned, and nothing changes. The conversation continues in the exact same way. Her presence is completely meaningless.
Sure. That would've been good and preferable. But it's hardly a killer blow against her chances. We're not talking about the most perfect candidate possible here.
I can’t see the picture, is it the Zou volume cover with Swirlyhats in the middle and the two Mink sides running parallel to them?

If it is- that’s not counting as a hint. There is no indication that Carrot is using a weapon given to her by Pedro, because there’s no indication Pedro had anything to do with the claws. Nobody looked at that and thought, ah, I bet Pedro was the one to give her those, because we had absolutely no reason to think that, because the two gave no indication that they had anything resembling a more than casual relationship until the chapter Pedro blew himself up.

As to the colour argument- the manga’s in black and white. We didn’t know there was a colour split to how the Minks dressed until WCI had already begun. When reading Zou, we couldn’t tell that Wanda was wearing a blue cape and Carrot a green. We’re looking for things that made Carrot stand out at the time, not retrospectively looking over minutiae to try and answer her lack of presence.
I meant this.
You're right that there's no indication that Pedro had anything to do with the claws. If there was, then that wouldn't just be a "hint" at a relationship between the two, that would be telling us the two of them had some kind of a relationship. The fact that every single musketeer has a sword except Carrot who fights with unusual weapons (just like the guardians) is the hint that she's got a connection to the other side of the minks.

And sure the colour scheme can't be noticed in the manga, but it's not a big deal. It's just a small thing that could be noticed if we paid attention to the volume cover. The point is that Oda always had in mind that Carrot was different from the regular minks.
It still displays how Oda failed to make Carrot stand out in the Zou arc though, and how Oda has failed to give Carrot consistent relevance. Imagine if the Zou flashback had been framed from Carrot’s perspective, giving us some insight into her daily life, wish to escape and go on an adventure, a training session or something with Pedro, interrupted by Jack’s invasion, with the final scene being her wondering what Pedro means when he talks about the world waiting for Inu and Neko. And then her getting invited or sneaking into the talk in the Whale Tree and expressing a desire to help in the fight against Kaido, being told no because she’s too young, and then sneaking out and going to the Sunny anyway. That’s a strong setup for Carrot to be an important future character and Strawhat character.
Yeah I agree. That would be strong setup. But unlike all straw hats except Robin and Jinbe, Carrot didn't join in the arc she was introduced, hence her development was spread out across arcs. WCI allowing her to bond closer with the crew, show some of her skills, save them and to stand out.

What's important though is that despite having never had any driving role in the narrative (as of yet), Carrot's still the most significant mink, above even Inu and Neko.
She's significant, but yet she has no apparent reason to be. This could be related to the PK and Pedro's words that "everyone has their moment to shine". How she goes from a regular mink to the one that announces Luffy's role in the dawn. As people on both sides have been saying, the Perospero fight holds all the answers. If absolutely nothing comes of that and the plot gets completely resolved, then yeah Carrot's obviously finished. But I'm counting on that developing something new for her based on the previous setup from Pedro's final words.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I’ve taken the liberty of counting how many panels the 2 most popular Straw Hat contenders appeared or were mentioned in for the entirety of the Wano Arc thus far (chps 909 - 1000).

Make of this info whatever you will.

Carrot: 71 Panels
Yamato: 221 Panels

But don’t take my word for it. Count the panels yourself and let me know what numbers you get.
I’m currently skimming through WCI to see if Carrot has any meaningful panels with Luffy...other than going for his throat after she’s discovered when they leave Zou, I’m to the fight with Katakuri and there’s still nothing important between them at all :kayneshrug:

You sure that you count correctly?:crazwhat:
I’m pretty sure. Note, these numbers don’t just include physical appearances, but also times they were mentioned by other characters.

I wanted to reread Wano anyways and did this counting as a side thing.

But again don’t take my word for it. Count the panels yourself and let me know what numbers you get.

You sure that you count correctly?:crazwhat:
If you want to be conservative and count
only the panels where they physically appear
in. The numbers look like this.

Carrot: 64 Panels
Yamato: 144 Panels

A little bit closer to each other but still
a significant distance apart.

Again this is only within Wano
(chapters 909 - 1000)

Last edited:
I’m currently skimming through WCI to see if Carrot has any meaningful panels with Luffy...other than going for his throat after she’s discovered when they leave Zou, I’m to the fight with Katakuri and there’s still nothing important between them at all :kayneshrug:
The relationship between Luffy and Carrot does not matter, the color of her cape does.

While I still hope and think that both are joining, I think Yamato is off to a much better start. Someone posted that meme about character introductions, but Carrot's introduction is even worse. People keep saying Yamato can't join because she does not have a relationship with Luffy, but Carrot has had even less interaction with him. Carrot also has not had an arc or villain centered around her, and has not been very relevant to the plot. Yamato already has a stronger case than Carrot in like 15 chapters.

That said, it would be very weird if Carrot does not join given how long she's been around. What's the point of having her here otherwise? Plus she was sperated from the other Minks in Onigashima to go with the Strawhats instead and she's the only one with a unique su long form.

My main point is that while I do think Carrot will join, the Carrot stans here keep applying arguments against Yamato that are even stronger arguements against Carrot.

Sure, let’s pretend like Kaido’s daughter has no other prominent qualities or abilities. You’re also ignoring everything she said in the last two chapters, both in her flashback (something we usually only get for new crew mates or other important characters) and the present story - she wants to travel with Luffy and see the world reach its dawn in person, not stay on Wano and protect Momo. She has literally stated this on several occasions in the last dozen chapters, and y’all still wanna act like her main desire is to become another Scabbard or something.
She has other qualities and abilities, they're just not strawhat material, yet at least, imo.
I can ignore it, since it is what she said in a flashback, before she found out about Momo being alive and now she says Momo is a key person for the dawn.
And she never said she wanted to travel with Luffy per se, just that she wants him to take her out of Wano/Onigashima, just like she never said she wanted to join Ace's crew either, and as was said, that was before she knew about Momo being alive.

She has other qualities and abilities, they're just not strawhat material, yet at least, imo.
I can ignore it, since it is what she said in a flashback, before she found out about Momo being alive and now she says Momo is a key person for the dawn.
And she never said she wanted to travel with Luffy per se, just that she wants him to take her out of Wano/Onigashima, just like she never said she wanted to join Ace's crew either, and as was said, that was before she knew about Momo being alive.
Oden joined PK, she wants to be Oden, Luffy said the same thing as Roger the PK, she thinks Luffy is gonna be PK.
It´s really not that hard.

Oden joined PK, she wants to be Oden, Luffy said the same thing as Roger the PK, she thinks Luffy is gonna be PK.
It´s really not that hard.
And it's really not that hard to see that she clearly can't be Oden. Luffy literally said it out loud for those that couldn't already see the obvious. And then Yamao even agreed with him...

Both Luffy and Zoro have inherited Oden's will on a personal level. Yamao's case is no different than all the countless citizens in Wano that wish for the same things she does. The only thing setting her and all the citizens apart is that she was dumb enough to attempt to impersonate Oden believing that to be comparable to inheriting his will.

If Oden really is supposed to be Yamao's mentor figure then it's just plain embarrassing that two straw hats have a far stronger claim to Oden's will than she ever did.

And it's really not that hard to see that she clearly can't be Oden. Luffy literally said it out loud for those that couldn't already see the obvious. And then Yamao even agreed with him...

Both Luffy and Zoro have inherited Oden's will on a personal level. Yamao's case is no different than all the countless citizens in Wano that wish for the same things she does. The only thing setting her and all the citizens apart is that she was dumb enough to attempt to impersonate Oden believing that to be comparable to inheriting his will.

If Oden really is supposed to be Yamao's mentor figure then it's just plain embarrassing that two straw hats have a far stronger claim to Oden's will than she ever did.
Yeah, lets pretend this was not a joke referring to nobody knowing who Yamato is.

Luffy being one to inherit Odens will is not contradicting her wish to be him and to be like him, thats just wishful thinking on your part, supported by Yamato constantly repeating, even to Momos.face that she is Oden.
If she had accepted it, she would have stopped.

The thing inheartence of will characters get it from opposing side look at character like dalton for example. Dalton was character who was not in particular on same side as dr. hiriluk. Seeing action hiriluk last stand really brought him tears go against his former leader. In chapter 994 Yamato pretty much tell us what her reaction was what happen 20 year’s ago during oden’s execution. Hearing from what Shinbou said, what oden went through brought her actually feel Sympathy what oden had gone through. In other words really impact her on personal level. When she discovered the journal and the adventure oden went on. It Really shape her ideals as person. Made her want really explore the world of outside ongashima. Oden might not mentor figure to Yamato. Oden is idol character she admires. That she wants strong like, tough and go same adventure as oden once did since her father didn’t give that opportunity do so.

Last edited:
Yeah, lets pretend this was not a joke referring to nobody knowing who Yamato is.

Luffy being one to inherit Odens will is not contradicting her wish to be him and to be like him, thats just wishful thinking on your part, supported by Yamato constantly repeating, even to Momos.face that she is Oden.
If she had accepted it, she would have stopped.
It's not a joke that no one knows who Yamao is. It's a fact. The important thing is that Luffy immediately told her she couldn't be Oden and her entire plot is related to her identity. The foreshadowing isn't subtle or ambiguous. Luffy's literally telling you truth.
Inherited will has never been about impersonating someone. If it was, then this guy would have inherited Luffy's will:

Zoro was officially bestowed Oden's sword by its maker and by Oden's own kids. He then intends to finish what Oden left off. That's inherited will on a personal level. Yamao herself acknowledges that Luffy is more "Oden" than she is. So that right there are two straw hats that have a closer link to Oden than Yamao herself does. Which isn't the case for a single straw hat with their mentor.

It's not a joke that no one knows who Yamao is. It's a fact. The important thing is that Luffy immediately told her she couldn't be Oden and her entire plot is related to her identity. The foreshadowing isn't subtle or ambiguous. Luffy's literally telling you truth.

Inherited will has never been about impersonating someone. If it was, then this guy would have inherited Luffy's will:

Zoro was officially bestowed Oden's sword by its maker and by Oden's own kids. He then intends to finish what Oden left off. That's inherited will on a personal level. Yamao herself acknowledges that Luffy is more "Oden" than she is. So that right there are two straw hats that have a closer link to Oden than Yamao herself does. Which isn't the case for a single straw hat with their mentor.
Hence why Oda made sure Yamato is now meeting everyone.
Also Oden is not Oden only because he was loved by everyone, that´s Luffy, as usual, reducing a character to a single trait he can identify them with.

Can´t see the picture.
We never had someone seriously try to be another person because they admired them that much, let´s not pretend this happened before.
Yep Zoro is the one who inherited Oden´s will in terms of being one of the new age guys that will beat Kaidou, also the strength stuff.
How that is negating Yamato wanting to be Oden in terms of his personality and the life he lived is beyond me.

Dude, please do not make me look up the panels to prove you wrong, we have at least 5 different scenes in which she is stating she is Oden and wants to be Oden, that scene was a joke.
If you are gonna discuss, let´s do it based on the manga, otherwise let´s stop and wait until the arc ends when Yamato joins and Carrot stays behind.

Hence why Oda made sure Yamato is now meeting everyone.
Yes, and to the people she's actually bonding with i.e. Momo and Shinobu she's being called "Yamato", not Oden. You totally missed the significance of the scene where she protects Momo and says she'd die for him. In that moment she declared herself as Yamato. Whereas every time she calls herself Oden, it's clearly portrayed in a negative light. From Luffy being visibly annoyed by her, from Momo and Shinobu running away from her as fast as they could. I know Oda's been slacking recently, but to have a message as dumb as "You have to LITERALLY be someone else in order to carry on their will" would be taking it to the next level.
We never had someone seriously try to be another person because they admired them that much, let´s not pretend this happened before.
No idea why you think that's a good thing. It only exposes Yamao's misunderstanding of inherited will.
Yep Zoro is the one who inherited Oden´s will in terms of being one of the new age guys that will beat Kaidou, also the strength stuff.
How that is negating Yamato wanting to be Oden in terms of his personality and the life he lived is beyond me.
In Yamao's own words, Luffy is already more "Oden" than she is. Name a single straw hat in which Luffy has a stronger inheritance of the will of their mentor than they themselves do. A single case, that's all.

The ones to inherit Oden's will were all 9 of the scabbards, Shinobu, Momo, Hiyori, Luffy and Zoro. All 14 of them have a more personal inheritance of Oden's will than the supposed next nakama. Do tell how this is supposed to be a good thing for her.
Dude, please do not make me look up the panels to prove you wrong, we have at least 5 different scenes in which she is stating she is Oden and wants to be Oden, that scene was a joke.
I never denied her claiming these things. I meant that just because she's saying something now, doesn't mean that it's going to happen considering the story is quite clearly not written in a way that promotes those ideals. Momo's character is all about him being a worthy successor of Oden. But the point is that he doesn't literally have to be just like Oden in order to be worthy. He's scared of heights, he's weak, he's a coward and he will never be Oden. But that's literally the point. And that's one of the many reasons why Yamao who's obsessed with the idea of becoming identical to Oden is bonding so closely with Momo. It's a development waiting to happen.
If you are gonna discuss, let´s do it based on the manga, otherwise let´s stop and wait until the arc ends when Yamato joins and Carrot stays behind.
Heard those same words from the 3 eyed Nami clone. Yet when the end of the arc came, Pudding was ugly crying in a back alley over boy trouble, whilst Carrot was enjoying Sanji's home cooked meals on the Sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.