Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank @dizzy2341 for bringing Oden's will.

What is Oden's inherited will in the context we're talking about? The need to have freedom and adventures? That's nice. But don't we already have a character that is the very embodiment of these desires ?

This is why Yamato feels off. Despite claiming to be Oden inheritor, Luffy is much better at carrying his spirit without needing to try. Yes because in addition of sharing similar spirit, both Luffy and Oden live their own way of life without pretending to be anyone even if they have people they admire and inspired them.

When it comes to the more shallow aspects, Zoro represents them well due to being a swordsman, inheriting Enma and being foreshadowed to give a deep cut to Kaido (Exactly like Oden)
Oden's core spirit is carried by Luffy. His outward aspect can be said to be carried by Zoro. Only way I could see Yamat bring anything Oden that isn't already present in a superior version
in the crew is the ability to create poneglyphs but no hints for that as of now.
Heck imagine discussions about other crewmates carrying Ohara scholars will better than Robin? The pride in the ships you build (Tom) better than Franky? That would be crazy.
Like Chopper also wanted to take the sea and discover the World but he also carries Hiluluk's will :Curing all diseases and illness, the body and the (figuratively) the heart.
Some might say I'm speaking too soon, she totally has hidden motives/will but we know Oden and his ideals, we had a dozen chapters long flashback specifically focused on the guy from his 18 to his death. There's not much else she can carry outside opening Wano borders but that will be achieved by the end of the arc.

Yes, I'm not convinced

Last edited:
Yes, and to the people she's actually bonding with i.e. Momo and Shinobu she's being called "Yamato", not Oden. You totally missed the significance of the scene where she protects Momo and says she'd die for him. In that moment she declared herself as Yamato. Whereas every time she calls herself Oden, it's clearly portrayed in a negative light. From Luffy being visibly annoyed by her, from Momo and Shinobu running away from her as fast as they could. I know Oda's been slacking recently, but to have a message as dumb as "You have to LITERALLY be someone else in order to carry on their will" would be taking it to the next level.

No idea why you think that's a good thing. It only exposes Yamao's misunderstanding of inherited will.

In Yamao's own words, Luffy is already more "Oden" than she is. Name a single straw hat in which Luffy has a stronger inheritance of the will of their mentor than they themselves do. A single case, that's all.

The ones to inherit Oden's will were all 9 of the scabbards, Shinobu, Momo, Hiyori, Luffy and Zoro. All 14 of them have a more personal inheritance of Oden's will than the supposed next nakama. Do tell how this is supposed to be a good thing for her.

I never denied her claiming these things. I meant that just because she's saying something now, doesn't mean that it's going to happen considering the story is quite clearly not written in a way that promotes those ideals. Momo's character is all about him being a worthy successor of Oden. But the point is that he doesn't literally have to be just like Oden in order to be worthy. He's scared of heights, he's weak, he's a coward and he will never be Oden. But that's literally the point. And that's one of the many reasons why Yamao who's obsessed with the idea of becoming identical to Oden is bonding so closely with Momo. It's a development waiting to happen.

Heard those same words from the 3 eyed Nami clone. Yet when the end of the arc came, Pudding was ugly crying in a back alley over boy trouble, whilst Carrot was enjoying Sanji's home cooked meals on the Sunny.
You really thought anybody would call her Oden...
She said my other name is Yamato, once again you are misconstruing the scene.
She is not delirious that she thinks she is actually Oden, she knows she still is Yamato, but her personality is Oden.
Negative light?

https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0989-002.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0988-010.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0987-008.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0996-005.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0994-014.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0994-015.png

You are misunderstanding her character, that´s a different thing altogether.

Still a joke.

She addressed this herself. Her will consists of two parts, one two free Wa No, two to be the same as Oden, venture the world, and help the dude to change the world, which is Luffy.
The first she took it upon herself because she thought that Momo and the Scabbards died.
The second none of the scabbards or Momo are relevant, meaning to do the journey to find OP, unless you wanna claim Momo is gonna join as this generation´s Oden, which is a completely different dynamic.

https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0984-013.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0984-014.png

No, you are confusing two things. You are judging how credible it is that Yamato inherited Oden´s will by stating other people have more legitimacy to do so, which is an argument not regarding the likelihood of something happening but how you like it, which i honestly do not care about. Neither is relevant whether i do like it or not or whether it´s necessary that another character appeared when we have so many directly involved people already, which is not false.
The story treats it as something completely legitimate though, and that´s what i care about in regards to nakama.

You literally claimed in the last post she does not see herself as Oden anymore, which, seriously stating Luffy is more like him, is contradicting every scene after that.

I don´t care what you have discussed with other people, if you wanna discuss with me, do it with the manga, pretty easy.

You really thought anybody would call her Oden...
??? Obviously not. Wut?
She said my other name is Yamato, once again you are misconstruing the scene.
She is not delirious that she thinks she is actually Oden, she knows she still is Yamato, but her personality is Oden.
Negative light?

https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0988-010.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0987-008.png
https://hot.granpulse.us/manga/One-Piece/0996-005.png

You are misunderstanding her character, that´s a different thing altogether.

Still a joke.
Those are literally the panels I had in mind when I said it was portrayed in a negative light. I dunno how you can't see that from Momo and Shinobu's looks of horror, or Luffy who's clearly pissed off just telling her to go already.
... And you say I don't understand the character.

Mate just read the panels you yourself just posted... She literally calls Momo her son. What on earth do you mean "she's not delirious that she thinks she's actually Oden"? That's EXACTLY what she's doing.
The story treats it as something completely legitimate though, and that´s what i care about in regards to nakama.
The story certainly does not treat role play as a credible means of inheriting one's will. If you think it does, then I don't think there's any need to continue this further. It clearly won't go anywhere.

??? Obviously not. Wut?

Those are literally the panels I had in mind when I said it was portrayed in a negative light. I dunno how you can't see that from Momo and Shinobu's looks of horror, or Luffy who's clearly pissed off just telling her to go already.

Mate just read the panels you yourself just posted... She literally calls Momo her son. What on earth do you mean "she's not delirious that she thinks she's actually Oden"? That's EXACTLY what she's doing.

The story certainly does not treat role play as a credible means of inheriting one's will. If you think it does, then I don't think there's any need to continue this further. It clearly won't go anywhere.
That’s a so-called negative light are you kidding me. That’s more being honorable loyal , committed and loyal fan girl. Protect those around them that something your idol would do. If it was negative direction is more sense syndrome direction or electro direction. In other words they would be more opposeing force go against everything what oden stood for took upon herself kill momo right there the war would end.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure. Note, these numbers don’t just include physical appearances, but also times they were mentioned by other characters.

I wanted to reread Wano anyways and did this counting as a side thing.

But again don’t take my word for it. Count the panels yourself and let me know what numbers you get.
Post automatically merged:

If you want to be conservative and count
only the panels where they physically appear
in. The numbers look like this.

Carrot: 64 Panels
Yamato: 144 Panels

A little bit closer to each other but still
a significant distance apart.

Again this is only within Wano
(chapters 909 - 1000)
Not to mention, Yamato only started showing up in 983 so...

??? Obviously not. Wut?

Then trying to pretend it´s an actual argument does not work, does it?

Then we are seeing something completely different.
In two of them, it´s played as a joke, with Yamato being serious and people around her not understanding the context.
The other half is showing her determination based on her admiration for and desire to be like Oden, which is fitting Oden perfectly, and Shinobu is trying to pretend that a samurai would try to get away, in order to protect Momo.

Yep, you still don´t.

And you are not getting that her pretending to be like Oden is her way of assimilating what she thinks Oden personified as a person, it´s a mantra, hence yes, you still do not understand it. It´s no different than Zoro constantly repeating he will never lose until he meets Mihawk pre-TS because he will become the future WSS to reinforce his ideals and also strengthen his resolve, it´s only a different way to get into it, albeit a more quirky way.
And she proved that that´s her way when she refused to dodge, that was what the scene was all about.
Also, chapter 999 literally shows us Momo and Shinobu understand and accept it now.

The story has no problem with it, no. It´s partly her determination, partly her quirk, but it is never shown in a negative light.
In regards to Momo inheriting the will and her doing it, i partly addressed that. Momo has to do, as Kozuki, what Oden could not because he was too early, just like Luffy is going to do what Roger could not because he was too early. Yet Luffy inheriting Roger´s role and will is not keeping him from inheriting Oden´s as well. But at the same time he is not doing it because of Oden, for the most part, but because of Momo and Kinemon.
Yamato´s ultimate goal is to support the one leading the charge of the new era, and that´s Luffy, which she is basing on Luffy saying the same thing Roger said.
You are pretending that inherited will is a one-dimensional concept that can only apply to one specific goal and also specific person, and then it´s over, when we already know that people of that caliber have the greatness to inspire a lot of people, for example Roger and a lot of players of the generation after his, and all of them took something else from Roger that day, something Rayleigh spoke about in Shabondy.

At this point, I would not be surprised if Carrot and several others form the New Nox Pirates, allied to Luffy, and their goal for the remainder of the series is to just find Poneglyphs. We get a cover story with Carrot, Wanda, the Musketeers and Guardians.

Really that was Pedro's dream after not being able to board Roger's ship. It also helps the crew for the EoS anyway if there are a few missing that they can find. We'll see, but its way to keep Carrot relevant while also staying on an adventure.

I really just lost faith in her being anything beyond this due to screentime. @Go D. Trussop makes that very apparent with the panel comparison. Yamato has barely been in the arc and has almost triple Carrot's panel count in 17 chapters.

That is straight up a relevancy question now, and Yamato has been more relevant than even many strawhats at this time. Detract all you want, but at the end of the day Yamato has 100x more going for her than Carrot ever did in 3 arcs. Thats super apparent now and will only increase the longer the arc goes on.

Edit: I think the one saving grace for Carrot is the apparent mink trait to be a stowaway when least expected. The Mink kings did it, twice in fact. Carrot did it before. Its highly possible Oda has Yamato join, Luffy feels the crew is complete, then all of a sudden Carrot appears as they sail away from Wano as a stowaway again. It just seems like a written gag I could totally see Oda doing in the end.

So always have faith both may join. Yamato is painfully apparent at this time though.

Last edited:
At this point, I would not be surprised if Carrot and several others form the New Nox Pirates, allied to Luffy, and their goal for the remainder of the series is to just find Poneglyphs. We get a cover story with Carrot, Wanda, the Musketeers and Guardians.

Really that was Pedro's dream after not being able to board Roger's ship. It also helps the crew for the EoS anyway if there are a few missing that they can find. We'll see, but its way to keep Carrot relevant while also staying on an adventure.

I really just lost faith in her being anything beyond this due to screentime. @Go D. Trussop makes thar very apparent with the panel comparison. Yamato has barely been in the arc and has almost triple Carrot's panel count in 17 chapters.

That is straight up a relevancy question now, and Yamato has been more relevant than even many strswhats at this time. Detract all you want, but at the end of the day Yamato has 100x more going for her than Carrot ever did in 3 arcs. Thats super apparent now and will only increase the longer the arc goes on
Plus the fact in order for carrot use her full potential of she has wait until the moon is full. So she is not going be able go all out most her battles if she was with straw hats. Knowing the fact that characters are likely going up against powerful enemies they will be a lot haki clashes. To the point the clouds will be covered up and be divided which would cause her unable transform. Some battle aren’t always going be when moon full it might be during the day.

Last edited:
It seems some people here did not read the Wano arc lol. Its more than obvious that Carrot is just a side character. Its looking much better for Yamato. Her chances rises as time goes on.

Put your bias aside and you will clearly see it. Personally I'm neutral about Yamato. I would like it much more if the last member would have Logia powers.
Part of me is still hoping her fruit is mythical and just way more unique than a logia, something that exhibits more powers than a transformation. I think that is possible

You want to continue her cosplaying and not being her own character?
I don´t want anybody to join because i sincerely doubt anybody reaching the level of bond the Strawhats have reached through the TS, especially to Luffy. And Jinbe, being the exception, has a good excuse since he was with Luffy through the hardest time of his life.

The story does not care about what i want though.

I don´t want anybody to join because i sincerely doubt anybody reaching the level of bond the Strawhats have reached through the TS, especially to Luffy. And Jinbe, being the exception, has a good excuse since he was with Luffy through the hardest time of his life.

The story does not care about what i want though.
Then why are you advocating for Yamsto on this thread shouldn't you just accept she's joining then go on with your life

Then why are you advocating for Yamsto on this thread shouldn't you just accept she's joining then go on with your life
There is a difference between analyzing the story based on what it indicates and evaluating what it does based on my preferences.
As far as i know this thread is not only about who you would like to join but who do you think will join.

I really just lost faith in her being anything beyond this due to screentime. @Go D. Trussop makes that very apparent with the panel comparison. Yamato has barely been in the arc and has almost triple Carrot's panel count in 17 chapters.

That is straight up a relevancy question now, and Yamato has been more relevant than even many strawhats at this time. Detract all you want, but at the end of the day Yamato has 100x more going for her than Carrot ever did in 3 arcs. Thats super apparent now and will only increase the longer the arc goes on.

Edit: I think the one saving grace for Carrot is the apparent mink trait to be a stowaway when least expected. The Mink kings did it, twice in fact. Carrot did it before. Its highly possible Oda has Yamato join, Luffy feels the crew is complete, then all of a sudden Carrot appears as they sail away from Wano as a stowaway again. It just seems like a written gag I could totally see Oda doing in the end.

So always have faith both may join. Yamato is painfully apparent at this time though.
Also not to mention that most of the panels I counted for Carrot had her in the background as opposed to being the center of attention.

The complete opposite is true for Yamato’s case.

Regardless of whether or not Yamato ends up joining the Straw Hats, I think it would still be neat to have a female Straw Hat who’s gleefully more willing to join in on Luffy and the other’s antics, because Nami and Robin seem too mature to be interested in joining in on Luffy’s tomfoolery for the most part.
Basically. Although it does feel like Robin is letting loose more than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.