Powers & Abilities An Explanation of The Deal With Enma

In the recent chapter, after executing Rengoku Oni Giri, Zoro said he still needed to draw out more of Enma's power:

I think a lot of people have been misinterpreting that scene. Whenever Zoro receives a new weapon, he always needs to acclimatise to its use. He is not able to fully maximise the combat potential of the weapon on his first try.

After purchasing his new swords, Zoro decides to test them against the Whiskey Peak Bounty Hunters:

Sandai Kitetsu cuts through more than Zoro wants to, leading him to comment that it's going to be a problem child:

After receiving Shusui from Ryuma, Zoro decides to test it against Oars:

He comments on the exceptional weight of Shusui:

He then executes his signature 1080 Pound Canon:

The technique became much bigger, with the slash produced by Shusui swallowing the slashes of his other swords:

While the attack was impressive, Zoro noted that it was "too big and slow". He said that this was proof that he couldn't fully control the sword yet. Zoro then concluded that the sword would be "a pain to master":

Zoro's slashes with Sandai initially cut too deeply. His slashes with Shusui were too big and slow (he may have been putting too much power into his attacks). Perhaps Zoro is currently not putting in enough power in his Enma slashes (to prevent it from draining his haki).

What happened here with Zoro saying he needs to draw out more of Enma's power may be similar to the acclimatisation Zoro needed while using Shusui. He's not fully accustomed to Enma yet, and so he can't maximise his abilities with Enma. It's not necessarily the case that Enma is granting Zoro ryuo.

The above said, the official translations should shed more light on the issue. The main conclusion that can be drawn at this point is that Zoro has not yet mastered Enma.

I know some people have been debating whether Enma is an "earned power up" and "unearned power up" or "not a power up", but I'm not particularly interested in that debate. I think that's a stupid point of contention. By his own admission, Zoro would become significantly stronger after mastering Enma:

However, Chapter 1001 revealed that Zoro has not yet mastered Enma, so he isn't yet (significantly) stronger.

Essentially:
  • Would Enma make Zoro stronger after mastering it?
    • Yes.
  • Has Zoro mastered Enma?
    • No.
  • Is current Zoro significantly stronger than before he traded Enma?
    • It doesn't yet appear to the case since he still hasn't mastered Enma.
    • Alternatively, we don't know to what extent Zoro's combat ability has changed. He may be weaker than his Shusui self, comparable in combat ability, or slightly stronger. What we do know is that he hasn't yet maximised the potential of Enma.
    • As Zoro uses Enma more in the battle, I expect him to acclimatise better and as he does so his combat ability will rise. Once he has fully acclimatised, he'll be significantly stronger.
  • Will Zoro be weaker without Enma?
    • Upon mastering Enma, if Zoro traded Enma for Shusui, he would become stronger.
      • Shusui is a sword that Zoro has already completely mastered.
      • Shusui is more potent than Enma as it is already a black blade.
        • However if Enma were made a black blade, it would be promoted to Supreme Grade and become stronger than Shusui. Enma's potential is higher.
    • If Zoro traded Enma for a lower grade sword he would become significantly weaker.
    • If Zoro traded Enma for another sword of the same grade (like Ame no Habakiri or the Nidai Kitetsu) he will become temporarily weaker as he adapts to the new sword.

As things go, Shusui is a better sword than Enma because it's a black blade in addition to being of the same grade. Mastering Enma is what makes Zoro stronger, and blackening Enma would make Zoro even stronger. Until Enma is blackened, it will be an inferior sword to Shusui.

All of Zoro's sword have their own quirks:
  • Sandai Kitetsu was exceedingly sharp to the extent that it cut more than Zoro intended to cut.
  • Shusui
    • Was exceptionally heavy
    • It produced much stronger air slashes.
      • The airslash of Shusui swallowed up the slashes of Zoro's other swords
    • Is exceptionally durable
      • It wouldn't bend even if a dinosaur stepped on it.
  • Enma
    • Forces the user to release excessive amounts of ryuo creating large slashes.
Once Zoro mastered those swords, he was able to tame their quirks.

For Zoro, acquiring Enma isn't like acquiring a new devil fruit, but trading a powerful devil fruit for another powerful fruit (if for example one traded the Mera Mera no Mi for the Goro Goro no Mi). Yes you can become stronger after you've mastered the Goro Goro no Mi but until you master it you would be weaker than you were before.

While Zoro did indeed have at least a week of training time with Enma, the recent chapter confirms that it was not enough to fully acclimatise to it in combat.

While some people may think that Zoro must be significantly stronger given that his and Luffy's trainings were contrasted, I don't think that's necessarily the case.

If we compare their first attacks:
  • Luffy successfully lands a hit on Kaido.
    • No further comment
  • Zoro successfully lands a hit on Kaido.
    • Comments that he needs to draw out more power from his weapon.
Literally, Zoro's comment on his first attack is about how he hasn't acclimatised to it. It's not at all comparable to Luffy's situation. Zoro went out of his way to emphasise how his grasp of his new blade is still inadequate. That Oda had Zoro do this, suggests to me that Zoro hasn't yet reached the level of strength he was hoping to reach with Enma.

@Queen
@Zoro
@Van
@playa4321
@Grumpy Zoro
@Ice devil slayer
@KiriNigiri
@Veljko2000
@rednose
@Winsmoke Sanji
@Monet
@Veku
@HexBozoline
@Crooc
@Reborn
@BossYimz
@Robin swan
@yj
@Fenaker
@PuckTheGreat
@RayanOO
@ShishioIsBack
@Orojackson Refugee
@Greenbeard
@Sword God Ryuma
@Sentinel
@IceWitch
@Himura
@DarkWitch
@stormylife
@Mr. Anderson
@yunzabit heights
@Monster trio
@Vonal
@Don DaSlayer
@Xione
@Master OF Haki
@Topi Jerami
@Yukihime
@bennbeckman
@Thabeast
@SaintBellkin
@SinOfGreed
@Zenos7
@Lucas
@JioFreed
@pedxi
@Zowo
@Luslec
@style
@Luffy is the mc
@Guymieux
@Mikail
@KINGKONGGUN15
@RyumaZoro
@worst pirate
@ZenZu
@LuffyMazino
@Im_not_Osama_bin_laden
@HAJIKATA
@Jackteo
@Tamerani
@Marimo_420
@Garp the Fist
@Kejon
@Fukki
@Flower
@Sunita
@RZ.119
@Sade
@Skiddo
@KageyamaShoyo
@Jew D. Boy
@Den_Den_Mushi
@Elcadar
@Finalbeta
@Bullet
@Dark Hound
@Patryipe
@Light D Lamperouge
@Enma
@Owl Ki
@ZoroIsOverrated
@ShinmenTakezo
@Jack
@Admiral Lee Hung
@Bogard
@Starbound Beast D. Draig
@Shiroyru
@Camie
@ShadyOjiro
@Benn beck
@Seth
@MarimoHeado
@Foxy Bunny
@Bittersteel
@comrade
@Cyrus the Cactus
@OmegaPsyche
@SHIHI
@Zoro D Goat
@critical mindset
@kurwa
@Kuro Ashi
@Slash Slash BigSlash
@WillOfMyD
@Jo_Ndule
@Reddot4
@Tobi
@nik87
@Sakura no Hiluluk
@Usopp Haoshoku Haki
@Gambit
@Monkey D Theories
@LuthonTheDragDown
@Haoshoku
@Geo
@Yo Tan Wa
@Gonโ€™s Missing Arm
@Albino ๐Ÿ‘‘
@MasterD
@SmokedOut
@HeroesNZ
@Cinera
@Murilo
@Dark Knight Sanji
@Afroking
@Rosella.Fiamingo
@Chaves
@Rivaille
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@MonsterZoro
@Gol D. Roger
@Soleus
@Aknolagon
@Emperor
@Constantine
@Gensui Sazid
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@Hanzo hattori
@Buggy D Clown
@silverfire
@yorosenpai
@Tenshi No Konan
@Guan Yu
@Artorias
@Kiwipom
@zorojurou
@Chrono
@HA001
@Sadistic Senpai
@bblue
@MarineHQ62
@KenshiraSonata
@Erkan12
@Buusatan94
@Celestial D. Dragon
@Gauntlet
@Trafalgar_D_Law
@rerere
@Midnight Delight
@Xlaw
@Garps tekkai
@Pantheos
@Parker
@ReggieZoldyck21
@Luffy bin Dragon
@Blother
@T.D.A
@BidaPowersTV
@Fn Lucci
@Sanji D Cook
@Cross_Marian
@ZoroSlaysDragonTuna
@Blother
@Slash Slash BigSlash
@Oblivion
@trav
Yeah this seems to be the case, he gradually upping the juice to get used to using the blade. Giving 100 percent power right now will probably leave him drained.

Since this is his toughest blade to master yet, i wonder he unlocks blade in the end when he's finished mastering its use. Maybe thats why Oden hadn't been able to create a Black Blade himself, maybe even he hadnt completely mastered the sword, but was close to getting there.
Post automatically merged:

Nobody cares. Its a magic sword with its own power. End of story.
Its directly stated that Enma takes YOUR power and amplifies it. It isnt a magic blade.

In the recent chapter, after executing Rengoku Oni Giri, Zoro said he still needed to draw out more of Enma's power:

I think a lot of people have been misinterpreting that scene. Whenever Zoro receives a new weapon, he always needs to acclimatise to its use. He is not able to fully maximise the combat potential of the weapon on his first try.

After purchasing his new swords, Zoro decides to test them against the Whiskey Peak Bounty Hunters:

Sandai Kitetsu cuts through more than Zoro wants to, leading him to comment that it's going to be a problem child:

After receiving Shusui from Ryuma, Zoro decides to test it against Oars:

He comments on the exceptional weight of Shusui:

He then executes his signature 1080 Pound Canon:

The technique became much bigger, with the slash produced by Shusui swallowing the slashes of his other swords:

While the attack was impressive, Zoro noted that it was "too big and slow". He said that this was proof that he couldn't fully control the sword yet. Zoro then concluded that the sword would be "a pain to master":

Zoro's slashes with Sandai initially cut too deeply. His slashes with Shusui were too big and slow (he may have been putting too much power into his attacks). Perhaps Zoro is currently not putting in enough power in his Enma slashes (to prevent it from draining his haki).

What happened here with Zoro saying he needs to draw out more of Enma's power may be similar to the acclimatisation Zoro needed while using Shusui. He's not fully accustomed to Enma yet, and so he can't maximise his abilities with Enma. It's not necessarily the case that Enma is granting Zoro ryuo.

The above said, the official translations should shed more light on the issue. The main conclusion that can be drawn at this point is that Zoro has not yet mastered Enma.

I know some people have been debating whether Enma is an "earned power up" and "unearned power up" or "not a power up", but I'm not particularly interested in that debate. I think that's a stupid point of contention. By his own admission, Zoro would become significantly stronger after mastering Enma:

However, Chapter 1001 revealed that Zoro has not yet mastered Enma, so he isn't yet (significantly) stronger.

Essentially:
  • Would Enma make Zoro stronger after mastering it?
    • Yes.
  • Has Zoro mastered Enma?
    • No.
  • Is current Zoro significantly stronger than before he traded Enma?
    • It doesn't yet appear to the case since he still hasn't mastered Enma.
    • Alternatively, we don't know to what extent Zoro's combat ability has changed. He may be weaker than his Shusui self, comparable in combat ability, or slightly stronger. What we do know is that he hasn't yet maximised the potential of Enma.
    • As Zoro uses Enma more in the battle, I expect him to acclimatise better and as he does so his combat ability will rise. Once he has fully acclimatised, he'll be significantly stronger.
  • Will Zoro be weaker without Enma?
    • Upon mastering Enma, if Zoro traded Enma for Shusui, he would become stronger.
      • Shusui is a sword that Zoro has already completely mastered.
      • Shusui is more potent than Enma as it is already a black blade.
        • However if Enma were made a black blade, it would be promoted to Supreme Grade and become stronger than Shusui. Enma's potential is higher.
    • If Zoro traded Enma for a lower grade sword he would become significantly weaker.
    • If Zoro traded Enma for another sword of the same grade (like Ame no Habakiri or the Nidai Kitetsu) he will become temporarily weaker as he adapts to the new sword.

As things go, Shusui is a better sword than Enma because it's a black blade in addition to being of the same grade. Mastering Enma is what makes Zoro stronger, and blackening Enma would make Zoro even stronger. Until Enma is blackened, it will be an inferior sword to Shusui.

All of Zoro's sword have their own quirks:
  • Sandai Kitetsu was exceedingly sharp to the extent that it cut more than Zoro intended to cut.
  • Shusui
    • Was exceptionally heavy
    • It produced much stronger air slashes.
      • The airslash of Shusui swallowed up the slashes of Zoro's other swords
    • Is exceptionally durable
      • It wouldn't bend even if a dinosaur stepped on it.
  • Enma
    • Forces the user to release excessive amounts of ryuo creating large slashes.
Once Zoro mastered those swords, he was able to tame their quirks.

For Zoro, acquiring Enma isn't like acquiring a new devil fruit, but trading a powerful devil fruit for another powerful fruit (if for example one traded the Mera Mera no Mi for the Goro Goro no Mi). Yes you can become stronger after you've mastered the Goro Goro no Mi but until you master it you would be weaker than you were before.

While Zoro did indeed have at least a week of training time with Enma, the recent chapter confirms that it was not enough to fully acclimatise to it in combat.

While some people may think that Zoro must be significantly stronger given that his and Luffy's trainings were contrasted, I don't think that's necessarily the case.

If we compare their first attacks:
  • Luffy successfully lands a hit on Kaido.
    • No further comment
  • Zoro successfully lands a hit on Kaido.
    • Comments that he needs to draw out more power from his weapon.
Literally, Zoro's comment on his first attack is about how he hasn't acclimatised to it. It's not at all comparable to Luffy's situation. Zoro went out of his way to emphasise how his grasp of his new blade is still inadequate. That Oda had Zoro do this, suggests to me that Zoro hasn't yet reached the level of strength he was hoping to reach with Enma.

@Queen
@Zoro
@Van
@playa4321
@Grumpy Zoro
@Ice devil slayer
@KiriNigiri
@Veljko2000
@rednose
@Winsmoke Sanji
@Monet
@Veku
@HexBozoline
@Crooc
@Reborn
@BossYimz
@Robin swan
@yj
@Fenaker
@PuckTheGreat
@RayanOO
@ShishioIsBack
@Orojackson Refugee
@Greenbeard
@Sword God Ryuma
@Sentinel
@IceWitch
@Himura
@DarkWitch
@stormylife
@Mr. Anderson
@yunzabit heights
@Monster trio
@Vonal
@Don DaSlayer
@Xione
@Master OF Haki
@Topi Jerami
@Yukihime
@bennbeckman
@Thabeast
@SaintBellkin
@SinOfGreed
@Zenos7
@Lucas
@JioFreed
@pedxi
@Zowo
@Luslec
@style
@Luffy is the mc
@Guymieux
@Mikail
@KINGKONGGUN15
@RyumaZoro
@worst pirate
@ZenZu
@LuffyMazino
@Im_not_Osama_bin_laden
@HAJIKATA
@Jackteo
@Tamerani
@Marimo_420
@Garp the Fist
@Kejon
@Fukki
@Flower
@Sunita
@RZ.119
@Sade
@Skiddo
@KageyamaShoyo
@Jew D. Boy
@Den_Den_Mushi
@Elcadar
@Finalbeta
@Bullet
@Dark Hound
@Patryipe
@Light D Lamperouge
@Enma
@Owl Ki
@ZoroIsOverrated
@ShinmenTakezo
@Jack
@Admiral Lee Hung
@Bogard
@Starbound Beast D. Draig
@Shiroyru
@Camie
@ShadyOjiro
@Benn beck
@Seth
@MarimoHeado
@Foxy Bunny
@Bittersteel
@comrade
@Cyrus the Cactus
@OmegaPsyche
@SHIHI
@Zoro D Goat
@critical mindset
@kurwa
@Kuro Ashi
@Slash Slash BigSlash
@WillOfMyD
@Jo_Ndule
@Reddot4
@Tobi
@nik87
@Sakura no Hiluluk
@Usopp Haoshoku Haki
@Gambit
@Monkey D Theories
@LuthonTheDragDown
@Haoshoku
@Geo
@Yo Tan Wa
@Gonโ€™s Missing Arm
@Albino ๐Ÿ‘‘
@MasterD
@SmokedOut
@HeroesNZ
@Cinera
@Murilo
@Dark Knight Sanji
@Afroking
@Rosella.Fiamingo
@Chaves
@Rivaille
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@MonsterZoro
@Gol D. Roger
@Soleus
@Aknolagon
@Emperor
@Constantine
@Gensui Sazid
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@Hanzo hattori
@Buggy D Clown
@silverfire
@yorosenpai
@Tenshi No Konan
@Guan Yu
@Artorias
@Kiwipom
@zorojurou
@Chrono
@HA001
@Sadistic Senpai
@bblue
@MarineHQ62
@KenshiraSonata
@Erkan12
@Buusatan94
@Celestial D. Dragon
@Gauntlet
@Trafalgar_D_Law
@rerere
@Midnight Delight
@Xlaw
@Garps tekkai
@Pantheos
@Parker
@ReggieZoldyck21
@Luffy bin Dragon
@Blother
@T.D.A
@BidaPowersTV
@Fn Lucci
@Sanji D Cook
@Cross_Marian
@ZoroSlaysDragonTuna
@Blother
@Slash Slash BigSlash
@Oblivion
@trav
Thank you, good post but 1 thing do you really guys think Zoro used hacky there? I dont see any armament hacky into the katana for all the chapter:

Last panel with Zoro, again confirmed that isnt just about this panel:

Now the 9 scabban when they damaged with the Oden attack the had blacken blade:

Next chapter after the attack they have a differnt color cuz no mor hacky is involved:

So now for me in my opinion Zoro didnt even used the hacky he usually has to finish his target cuz I really dont see how Oda is forgettting such think when he clearly didnt forget it to use it on the oden 2 sword attack vs Kaido for the scabban.
here Oda didnt forget to use hacky into Zoro blade:

So what your opinion? Oda forgot to show armament hacky or Zoro didnt use hacky?

Thank you, good post but 1 thing do you really guys think Zoro used hacky there? I dont see any armament hacky into the katana for all the chapter:

Next chapter after the attack they have a differnt color cuz no mor hacky is involved:

So now for me in my opinion Zoro didnt even used the hacky he usually has to finish his target cuz I really dont see how Oda is forgettting such think when he clearly didnt forget it to use it on the oden 2 sword attack vs Kaido for the scabban.

So what your opinion? Oda forgot to show armament hacky or Zoro didnt use hacky?
He didn't use it which is why I don't think he managed to cut Kaido

J

Jo_Ndule

Yeah this seems to be the case, he gradually upping the juice to get used to using the blade. Giving 100 percent power right now will probably leave him drained.

Since this is his toughest blade to master yet, i wonder he unlocks blade in the end when he's finished mastering its use. Maybe thats why Oden hadn't been able to create a Black Blade himself, maybe even he hadnt completely mastered the sword, but was close to getting there.
Post automatically merged:

Its directly stated that Enma takes YOUR power and amplifies it. It isnt a magic blade.
It is a magic sword
No other sword takes haki and amplify it
No other sword can use haki on its own(forcing it out of the user)

- So Rengoku Onigiri with no mastered enma and sandai and wado ( Zoro not using his full power ) <<< Rengoku Onigiri enma - sandai - scythe <<< Rengoku onigiri with mastered enma - sandai - wado <<< Rengoku onigiri shusui - wado - sandai <<< Rengoku onigiri black blade enma - wado - sandai .
:risitasad:
Killer did nothing to Kaido while Zoro put the work :pepecorn:

:saden:

Enma doesn't have its own Haki so yeah, despite having a different quirk it's the same situation as before. Enma draws out more Haki where Shusui was tough because of its weight. I guess it takes more than a week.

The power up question is relevant because it does inform how you see Zoro. Will he be weaker with a lower quality sword? Not in the long run. Does he deal with weakness with a strong blade? Actually yes, because like we've said he has to get used to it. Any blade can become a black blade. But there's no reason why he'd take a lesser blade.

This line vs Kaido... it was vague. All you have to know is that his first strike won't be his best strike.

The problem is people saying Enma is not a power up like the raid suit which it clearly is.

Does Enma need training to use properly? Yes.
Does the raid suit? Yes.

Is Enma an item that makes Zoro stronger than he would be without it? Yes.

Is the raid suit an item that makes Sanji stronger without it? Yes.

Saying Enma is not a power up (or worse calling it a nerf) is just going against canon at this point. Just because it needs training to use doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s not a buff.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
โ€Ž
all we aren't cook we undestarnd than you've new sword it's necessary a time to controll it. It's clear than zoro now it's weaker than desrrosa until he'd controll this new sword (in this moment he'll overcome than kaido and oden).
Exactly and they don't realize or perhaps pretend not to realize that Zoro never mentioned that Enma can grant him more power by itself. He allegedly means he needs to control what he gathered from the training.

Those were feathers from Kaidos boa?