B

Ballel

This explains a lot on why the 1st season is good too then. I saw some complaints it starts off too slow but so far I'm really enjoying it despite how lax it is and there's still important stuff going on, especially with the Fire Nation hunting them.
I was referring to season 1 of Korra, not of The Last Airbender.
I've heard Season 3's first half of Avatar is apparently quite fillery and people didn't like it but I'll try to have an open mind for that too.
:kaidowhat: It's not fillery at all, I never heard people say this.
Season three is great!

Yes, better late than never!
What was the 'obscene' reason not to watch it if I may ask?
I really regret not checking this show out many years ago and ignoring it for some obtuse, obscene reason but better late than never!

G

Gorosei Informer

I was referring to season 1 of Korra, not of The Last Airbender.
Ah I see, I misread lol.

It's not fillery at all, I never heard people say this.
Season three is great!
It was a review on Amazon or and a comment I saw on Reddit, maybe both? I was googling people's overall opinions on the show at the time.

What was the 'obscene' reason not to watch it if I may ask?
I'm honestly not sure. I'm just really weirdly fussy about things. Maybe because it was shown on Nickelodeon and I had some weird kind of hatred to Nickelodeon that I still don't understand lol.

I liked Fairly Odd Parents a lot but that was all I tolerated from Nickelodeon I think. Maybe Drake and Josh too. Danny Phantom is also exactly my kind of show but I only got into it in the past few years, MANY years later than I should have really.

In all logic, I should have embraced and LOVED Avatar back then but I never got into it for some reason and I still can't figure out why to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Ballel

Lol there is no filler in avatar and S3 is best and peak @Ghostly Reflections
'Filler' is a term many people know from anime series that adapt a manga.
Avatar, on the other hand, is an original series and on top of it all the general plot and character arcs had been planned out since the very beginning.
The pacing is just right, no stretching, no 10 minute staring in battles, everything flows naturally and makes sense. Last but not least, there is no yelling of attack names:finally:
They even parodied the attack name yelling:kobeha:

B

Ballel

Nah, there is definitely filler in this series. Even the show itself made fun of that tedious Great Divide episode in the Ember Island Players (which is 100% a filler episode itself).
They made fun of the great divide episode because the audience didn't seem to like it.
Which I don't understand. I liked this episode.

They made fun of the great divide episode because the audience didn't seem to like it.
Which I don't understand. I liked this episode.
The episode was boring, the conflict was not that engaging and any message about being a neutral, fair arbiter and leader went out of the window when Aang decided to tell the most obviously blatant lie ever told and the Tour Guide, after giving a speech to Aang earlier about how difficult it is to be a fair leader, decides " Yeah, fuck this job and all it's responsibilities. Lmao to any other refugees that need to get away from the Fire Nation".

There is a reason why this episode is memed. Lol.

B

Ballel

The episode was boring, the conflict was not that engaging and any message about being a neutral, fair arbiter and leader went out of the window when Aang decided to tell the most obviously blatant lie ever told and the Tour Guide, after giving a speech to Aang earlier about how difficult it is to be a fair leader, decides " Yeah, fuck this job and all it's responsibilities. Lmao to any other refugees that need to get away from the Fire Nation".
I think many people did not understand the point this episode is trying to make.
The constant fighting and deep seated hatred with both tribes having their own version of the story is veeery realistic.
It shows how persistent inherited hatred is and how 'hating the enemy' becomes part of each tribe's cultural identity.

It's like in the real world. Oftentimes individuals don't allow their personal experience influence their views and opinions of others. Instead they keep harboring resentment for people of a particular nationality/heritage/religion because of tradition.

I think many people did not understand the point this episode is trying to make.
The constant fighting and deep seated hatred with both tribes having their own version of the story is veeery realistic.
It shows how persistent inherited hatred is and how 'hating the enemy' becomes part of each tribe's cultural identity.

It's like in the real world. Oftentimes individuals don't allow their personal experience influence their views and opinions of others. Instead they keep harboring resentment for people of a particular nationality/heritage/religion because of tradition.
Any and all realism is lost when Aang tells the most blatantly nonsensical lie possible and it actually works.

That message you have there could have worked if say Aang attempted to be a fair arbiter but failed due to stubborn resistance from the refugees and the two tribes went back to their squabbling ways.
This failure could then motivate Aang in some way, for example him seeking to overcome the innate hatred that everyone will have against the Fire Nation.

Even going with the lying route might have worked if Aang genuinely tried at first to be a fair arbiter, realised that the tribes were too stubborn to accept fair arbitration and sought to create a believable but false history to diffuse the situation, with the story acknowledging the consequences of this route being that while lives were justifiably saved, two cultures will now raise generations on a completely fabricated history with Aang still considering this a failure on his part and seeking to improve his skills as a peacemaker.

Instead of any of that, Aang tells the most childish lie imaginable and everyone accepts it because the episode is nearing the 20+ minute mark and everything that happened here is clearly of no future consequence to the story or it's characters.

You can't expect people to swallow a "realistic message" with the most unrealistic way of diffusing the situation.

B

Ballel

Any and all realism is lost when Aang tells the most blatantly nonsensical lie possible and it actually works.

That message you have there could have worked if say Aang attempted to be a fair arbiter but failed due to stubborn resistance from the refugees and the two tribes went back to their squabbling ways.
This failure could then motivate Aang in some way, for example him seeking to overcome the innate hatred that everyone will have against the Fire Nation.

Even going with the lying route might have worked if Aang genuinely tried at first to be a fair arbiter, realised that the tribes were too stubborn to accept fair arbitration and sought to create a believable but false history to diffuse the situation, with the story acknowledging the consequences of this route being that while lives were justifiably saved, two cultures will now raise generations on a completely fabricated history with Aang still considering this a failure on his part and seeking to improve his skills as a peacemaker.

Instead of any of that, Aang tells the most childish lie imaginable and everyone accepts it because the episode is nearing the 20+ minute mark and everything that happened here is clearly of no future consequence to the story or it's characters.

You can't expect people to swallow a "realistic message" with the most unrealistic way of diffusing the situation.
I agree that Aang's solution is questionable.
It is meant to highlight the difficult nature of such conflicts and long term hatred.

I agree that Aang's solution is questionable.
It is meant to highlight the difficult nature of such conflicts and long term hatred.
Except it is not treated by the story as a questionable solution whatsoever. Lol. It is quickly brushed aside as perfectly acceptable with no mention or implication about any potential consequences whatsoever.

It really doesn't highlight the difficult nature of long term hatred since the two sides get over their "long term hatred" in about 15 seconds after Aang's lie.

At the very least, those people would have realistically replied with "Ok, even if your completely unbelievable tall tale was true, it doesn't matter because we have been at each other's throats for like a century straight. We still have plenty of other grievances with each other".

You can literally remove this episode from the series and nothing would change.
I remember @Owl Ki from his Avatar bashing post where he called the series nonsensical and unrealistic and kept saying Kingdom>>Avatar
I used neither of those words in that post and Kingdom wasn't even mentioned once. :goatasure: